Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Sunday funday!

Belle, nice that you wrapped up a busy January and can get a few days off. Handy that your brother’s house doesn’t have any booze in it!

It was nice to see daughter yesterday, and fun to take her & a friend of hers out to dinner afterwards, and hear all their happy chitchat about their swimming etc. Lots of driving though (5 1/2 hours round trip), and a long swim meet to slog through.

HB is in Florida now on his annual business trip/Midwinter “conference” that I used to go with him on for many years. It’s very booze-centric; I don’t fit into that scene anymore, so, best for me not to be there. Still an awkward change though.

Your dairy-free mushroom soup and homemade donuts sound delish, Lav. I bet the grandsons would like to help you out with eating the donuts!
    Such a needless tragedy about that MD dying from putting Christmas lights up on the house. I can see why you & your husband prudently avoid getting up on ladders.

I’m looking forward to seeing your pictures of Colombia, G-man!

I wonder how Byrdie fared in the snowstorm?

Thanks for being here, friends.
    Last edited by Slo; January 30, 2022, 10:01 AM.
    Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Hello Nest! I've been working, working, working, children-ing, laundering, sleeping, working. I've billed twice the hours in the last month to try to catch up! Good news is that I can buy those infrared sauna lights I've been wanting, but it's been a bit much. Life is pretty normal here, just on overdrive. We did take a short trip to Seattle because we had an airline voucher, and though we were worried about how Covid might affect it, we were pleasantly surprised. We showed our vax cards everywhere, and really enjoyed a short getaway to a foggy, artsy city. And my phone is ringing off the hook with new project inquiries. People are wanting to work on their homes more than I've seen in a very long time. I have to be really careful and selective. Once I catch up with about three projects, I'm starting 2.5 new builds, with a new interview for another, starting in 2023. It's all good, as long as I can keep my balance.

Ava, sorry your joints are not cooperating with you. Have you ever tried pilates or similar exercises? It strengthened all the small muscles I did't even know I had, and I felt so stable and strong. I agree with you about elections. Unfortunately it has become ALL about winning, and not about governing for so many.

Hi Slo! Enjoy the swim meet. Hope it was not too long! My son is joining high school swim team in a month, and I think it is every day, and lots of meets. YIKES!

Belle, enjoy your break!

G - Wow to Columbia. I love your adventurous spirit! Please tell us all about it. I want to hear the details!

NS, did you have your 9th birthday? Please tell us how different your life is now!! I so appreciate you!

Anyway.... on to a Sunday of groceries, laundry and design work. Taking my son driving too, so he can get his license! Take care everyone!
      Last edited by KENSHO; January 30, 2022, 11:27 AM.
      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Cold day after the snow but we had some pretty good sunshine so a little melted. Not in the mood for shoveling anymore so I wait for the melt. There’s no sidewalks to worry about so it’s all good.

Slo, glad you enjoyed your day with the girls yesterday. It does sound like a lot of driving but as long as the road are clear I would go too. It is better that you’re not on that trip with your husband & facing the booze crowd. I hate those things anyway. Hope your week is good

Kensho, welcome back! You sure are busy & that’s a good thing. Just watch the balance thing, keep yourself safe. Sounds like the universe is rewarding you with lots of new business, that’s great!
        My son is now 41 but I distinctly remember taking him out for driving practice. He was pretty good from the start & to think he ended up driving giant fire trucks, Lol I hope your son does well.

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Kensho! I enjoyed your update. You’re really in the busy years, and on top of it -your business is booming! Congratulations! You’ll just have to be selective the way Wagmor is, and do your best to keep good balance.
          The swim meet got long because I was an hour early, it started 45 minutes late, there was a lengthy senior celebration in the middle, and breaks for swimming had to be built in since there’s no warm-down pool. Good thing I like sitting! Wish I enjoyed watching swimming as much as I like sitting.

Belle, nice that you have a long break in babysitting when baby goes to day care. I have a break too, in that I only have Mabel during the day for two days, while Beckett goes to day care those days. I’m heading back up to the germ factory tonight! Still have my head cold that I caught there from Mabel, but luckily I didn’t get daughter’s sore throat, body aches, & chills.

Lav, it’s sad -but I don’t even want to be on HB’s business trip for 5 days where it’s all about “let’s get a drink” over & over. And my SIL & BIL there will be all about taking super-duper long walks during non-drinking times (morning) -and thanks to this dumb knee, I can’t participate in that either! The other couple we’d be with, the guy is HB’s other main business associate; are both heavy drinkers. The kind that have to keep a cooler of booze in their hotel room so that it’s always available. I don’t fit in, and I’d just be in the way. No thanks. Sometimes we just have to carve out a different life when we go AF; one that suits us better.

Well, here’s to a new week! Take care, all.
          Last edited by Slo; January 31, 2022, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Good chilly evening Nesters,

We at least had some sun & melting of snow today
            I really feel like i want to be outside but not until it warms up a bit, haha!

Slo, I completely agree, we have to carve out our own comfortable life after we go AF & there’s nothing wrong with that. The old ways obviously weren’t working for us so why would we expect anything different from them now? Anyone who needs to keep a cooler full of booze in a hotel room seriously has a problem. They just may not know it yet. Use the ‘free time’ to take a step toward your newer & more comfortable future. Have fun with Mabel, that’s the best time spent

Hope everyone is OK & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hey everyone, sorry I haven't posted much recently. My work is really ramping up again, and my aunt is unfortunately back in the hospital and having a rough time. I think she's past the acute covid but is having a hard time fighting off pneumonia. We are trying to stay positive but I'm pretty worried. Later this week is the date my mom passed away some years ago and also the date my brother-in-law died very suddenly last year. So it's a hard sad time, and I also try to put a positive spin on this period every year.

I'm ok -- I won't drink -- but I might not be posting on here very much this week. I promise I'll post and/or reach out to one of you if I'm at all tempted to drink, but it's the furthest thing from my mind right now. Catch you all again soon.
              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Just checking in to say hello to all!

Wags, I’m so sorry about your aunt, I hope it eases up for her real soon. Covid is no joke for the elderly. Remembering those who have passed brings up all sorts of feelings, I get them too. You’ll be OK, you’re a strong woman & you don’t drink. We will be here if you need us :hug:

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hi all,

Sorry to hear of your Aunty, Wags. I wish for her a full and speedy recovery. Thinking of you and family at this difficult time. Take it easy mi amiga.

Hello Lav! Hello evabody. Do something nice for yourself today.

L8tr g8trs.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Thinking of you, Wags :hug:

Well I was assigned to a jury after all but thankfully it ended in mistrial before it began - it was a terrible crime and the trial would have been painful for everyone involved. We're now getting buried in snow so the courthouse is closed -- I'm FREE!

Comment

Morning nesters

Thinking of you Wags and sending cyber hugs.

trying to get into work and not succeeding so much better to post on there to get some motivation for the day. Having a few cool days which is nice.

Slo, glad all is going well with the pregnancy for your daughter, do your girls live close to one another? That would be handy for you with babysitting duties! My SIL had her first babysitting day with Jasper yesterday as my niece has gone back to work. He turns 1 on 19th Feb and she has finally gotten to be a granma. I am so happy for her, its been a crap year for the family with covid and him being in hospital for so long. I got lots of selfies which was just lovely. "germ factory", love it!

Kensho, thanks for the tip, i will you tube some exercises. I had to have an xray yesterday as my ankle is killing me by the afternoon so need to get it sorted before i head into work next week. I CANNOT believe your son is taking driving lessons, i think of him as about 10ish ha ha.

A work colleague of mine who i used to work with has had a stroke and is in hospital with us. He is around my age and healthy for 60. Makes you kind of realise that we arent invincible. thankfully my life now is way better than it used to be!

Well back to the salt mines.

take care x
                      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

We had a nice warmup today - it went over freezing for a change, haha! It did go near 50 degrees so it was nice. Now we prepare for an ice storm due to arrive Friday, not good.
                        My grandson called me at 2:30 wanting to know if I could pick him up at school & take him home. These are the moments that make me so grateful for my quit. I can drop what I’m doing anytime & give a kid a ride home from school. He was my main motivator to quit for good & I’ve loved every minute spent with him.

G, when I was driving today ‘Guitar Man’ by Bread came on the radio & it made me smile

NS, so glad you skirted the jury duty after all. I would really hate sitting there listening to the chilling details of a crime. Good luck with the storm, it’s getting here Friday.

Ava, sure. Hope your ankle is OK, take it easy!
                        I’m happy your SIL finally got some on eon one time with Jasper, such a blessing. Sorry about your work friend, hopefully the stroke isn’t too bad. My oldest brother had his first at age 46, you just never know. His carotid were clogges & his BP was too high. We have to pay attention to what’s going on & take action to stay healthy.

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

One of my fave songs Lav. I loved it and identified with it's romantic vibe since i was a young fella first hearing it. I fell in love with their other songs too. Didn't like their rock stuff, but their ballads have the magic.

Off on a plane in around 30 hours from now. Will have wifi in most places so i'll be sure to post updates and try upload some pics.

Big waves to evabody. Surf's up!
                          Last edited by Guitarista; February 2, 2022, 07:44 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Bon voyage, Guitarista!

Lucky that you didn’t have to do jury duty, NS! Thanks for the update on that.

Pneumonia is certainly something to be concerned about at your aunt’s more advanced age, Wags. It makes it too emotional that this is happening at the same time of year again as when your uncle died last year…you take care.

I loved the ballads by Bread too!!

Ava, young daughter twisted her ankle badly, and sprained one of the ligaments on the lateral side a few years ago. It took weeks to heal. It did heal, but it will never go back to being a “green” ligament. I like Kensho’s idea about Pilates for general strengthening. I used to have a ‘Pilates for Dummies’ DVD that I liked working out to.
                            That’s scary about your co-worker. I mean, there’s the patients and there’s the staff. Very disconcerting when a staff member turns into a patient! Especially stroking out rather young, when he seemed so young & healthy. I hope he is able to recover pretty well.

Lav, another reminder as to why we stay AF: so we can drive someone at a moment’s notice!

HB’s birthday today; he’s coming home from his vacation today; had a Zoom meeting with my divorce lawyer & financial advisor today…awkward.com
                            Last edited by Slo; February 3, 2022, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

It’s been raining all day & tomorrow will be the same. Then it’s supposed to freeze over, not looking forward to that.

Wags, I hope there’s good news about your aunt soon :hug:
                              Remember we are with you!

G, safe travels to you & looking forward to some pics from your trip

Slo, I am grateful every single day, believe me! I highly value being humiliation free. No kidding.
                              I hope your Zoom meetings went well & they are helping you on your way to your new life. Remember, you deserve a peaceful life.

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Look out for this storm, Lav! We ended up with about 10 inches of blowing snow. We were housebound for the last 2 days - the plow finally came through this morning. Now it is going to get REALLY cold. I think I'm ready for spring!

Safe travels, Mr G. We will look forward to your updates.

My husband (who I met in college) always gives me grief when songs from The Best of Bread come on because I once foolishly told him that that was my main make-out album with my high school boyfriend osteroops:.

Comment

Working...
                                X