Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Good morning!

Thank you for chiming in, Shades of Idaho! That’s sad about the wet & heavy Spring snow dump ruining your trees, Shades & Wags. I have seen that wet & heavy snow ruining budding branches & trees before. Thankfully we have just been having pretty snowfalls this past week, and not major dumps.

I have two 91-year-olds in my life now, who are slowing up. Well, one just turned 92 -my ex husband’s uncle. I haven’t wanted to tell him about our divorce, because I so enjoy being his niece. Well, when I called him this week to wish him happy birthday, he brought it up because he had heard murmurings; so I had to admit it was true. He was so beyond kind & comforting to me, and completely non-judgemental. Wow. I didn’t lose my dear “uncle” after all.
    The other 91y/o is my mother’s partner, and his congestive heart failure is getting pretty advanced. I can see he’s struggling more for breath.

Wishing all a good day in the Nest. I’m going to enjoy baby Mabel snuggles today!
    Last edited by Slo; April 13, 2022, 07:54 AM.
    Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Zero snow here today, it was almost 80 degrees!!!
      We have a long line of white pines at the back edge of our property & I’ve watched heavy snow bend the branches way down. There are a few broken limbs lying about, I should remove them.

Shades, nice to see you & I’m glad you are finding some comfort following the thread. That’s what we’re here for, to help one another along :hug:

Slo, I hope your day with the baby was special. That’s nice the uncle was kind & understanding. I guess when you’ve lived that long & have seen just about everything there’s no point in finger pointing. He sounds like a keeper for sure

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in teh nest for all!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi, All:

Thanks for stopping in Shades. That snow storm up there was crazy!

Slo, glad you kept your uncle. I can't imagine losing the whole family to a divorce unless the divorce is terrible. I hope you can keep those relationships with his family that help you.

I went out for dinner last night - three people drank an alcoholic drink and two didn't. We split the bill five ways - that always irks me, but I am passive about it. If the booze bill is massive I say something, but one drink? I don't know - how do you all handle that?

Lav, your weather is crazy, too. I hope all is ok.

I don't have much to report. I am so thankful to be sober!

Pav

Comment

Hey, Nest. Last weekend's slumber party was a lot of fun but I didn't get much sleep b/c one of the boys is a noisy, restless sleeper. It was worth it to have his hot little body right next to me, though.

Your boss surprises me, Belle. I think most people are waking up to the fact that workers are currently in the driver's seat and better be accommodated if you want to keep them. Your 'mental transition' sounds like what I went through a few years ago when I stopped looking at what I did as a career and instead as a job. That change in my thinking made all the difference!

I just watched Severance on Apple TV+. It is weird but really compelling and gives a lot to think about in terms of what work really means and work/life balance. Highly recommend!

Good to hear from you, Shades. I'm glad you consider us friends. I wish we had had a chance to know your son.

Ava, that is great that you'll get to visit Jasper and kind of you to take your mom along. I'm to the point with my mom that I just steel myself to keep my voice kind and neutral and to not let on that I just answered the same question or heard the same story. She is 'with it' enough to feel bad that she can't remember things and I don't want to add to her suffering. I also do not want to have regrets after she is gone and wish so much that I had taken the time and made the effort to be kinder and understanding.

Wags, my husband it an avid back backer and has an enormous collection of sleeping pad combinations that he has acquired over the years in his quest for comfort. Let me know if you want the deets about his current set up!

Pav, a long time ago I saw in one of those silly advice columns an answer to a question about evenly splitting the bill, even if your meal is cheaper. The columnist suggested considering the group and the event and deciding how much you value it. If it is a close group of friends that you're delighted to spend time with, there is no monetary value to that and just splitting the bill is fine. If it is a work event that you're forced to go to, you might want to request separate checks. If a lot of pricey alcohol is consumed by friends or colleagues, you just have to hope they are sensitive enough to give you a break. I have 4 friends who drink copious amounts of very good wine and I've appreciated that they've always been thoughtful and disengaged me from paying for that.

Lav, I suspect our chilly weather is heading your way. This is a somewhat challenging and disappointing spring!! Some Easter clothes are going to be covered by coats, I'm afraid.

Slo, it sounds like you have independent relationships with several members of your husband's family. There is no reason you have to give those up simply because you are no longer married to him. Given your descriptions of him, I suspect you were more the one initiating and maintaining relationships. It might turn out that he is the one left behind if he doesn't step up.

We're off to celebrate Easter with the Catholic wing of our family. I'm looking forward to the Bunny parts.

xx, NS

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

We just had a quick thunderstorm roll through that dropped half an inch of rain very quickly. The storm is gone. The sun is trying to reappear.
            I don’t even know if we will be seeing any family for Easter but i did pick up 3 gorgeous looking chocolate bunnies from the Swiss chocolatier nearby. I’ll get them to the grandkids eventually, haha!

Pav, when I’m out for lunch with friends we don’t fuss about the bill & who ate or drank what. It’s easier to just split the bill & tip equally. Don’t have those work gatherings anymore, not sure what I would do in that case.

NS, yes the cold air is returning after 2 humid 80 degree days. Our AC turns on automatically & it had been on, crazy.
            My junior chickens managed to break the bulb in their hanging heat lamp so I hope they handle the cold spell OK. I am not buying another one of those heat lamps at this point for them. They’re as bad as teenagers at this age, Lol. Glad. You enjoyed the. Time with the boys, you can catch up sleep later

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

All is well with me, hope everyone is OK

Have a safe night in the nest!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Good evening,

I’m ok, but overdid my dumb knee replacement knee walking on it too much while shopping, so am icing it. And waiting for the full moon day to be over after tomorrow so that I will have the relief of feeling better after that; less aches & pains, more energy.

Lately I have been the one with a larger bill when out to eat with others, so I insist on kicking in more. It is annoying to have to pay for others’ pricey alcoholic drinks if a bill gets split evenly, but if it’s only one each, I’d let it go. But still be annoyed -haha!

My mother is quite deaf as well, but won’t get hearing aids nor discuss her condition. It seems to be tied into her narcissistic personality disorder, where it makes her feel…weak or ashamed or something, and, due to the disorder, she can’t admit to being less than perfect, so she ignores the hearing loss and pretends she’s fine. And gets enraged if someone tries to talk to her about it. So I don’t go there!

I am relieved that I can have some relationships with some of his family members post-divorce. I just remember when his sister and his brother got divorced, his family said they (the ex’s) were no longer part of the family.

My new condo is looking sweet! The flooring and the countertops are in now! I had to sign over the deed to this house with my lawyer the other day, and I was ready for it. Ready to move on.

It’s nice to see Kensho and Steadfast’s names here as they check in to read! Waves to everyone.
                Last edited by Slo; April 15, 2022, 07:04 PM.

Comment

NS - I'd love to hear what your husband currently uses for backpacking. We have several nice sleeping pads but sometimes it's a magic combo that does the trick.

Pav - I hear you about splitting the bill when some people drink and some (or just you) don't. I would probably not say anything for one drink but definitely if it goes beyond that.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!
                  Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, All:

Not much to report. Busy week at work and a busy weekend. Most of it is great and good, and some it more work. Thank goodness I'm sober. How did I ever find the time before!

Pav

Comment

Easter weekend here…

Easter sorta fell through the cracks this year. I didn’t volunteer to plan anything as I waited to find out if daughter D3 was coming here Easter weekend or the following one…also waited when realized that ex-sis-in-law’s birthday lands on Easter, so defer the daughters to his side of the family for their double celebration. Also reticent to plan anything since it’s not actually my house anymore! Then find out indirectly that ex-HB’s family is going out for Easter brunch, and I am invited! Then find out a week ago that ex-HB is going up to their cabin alone for Easter, and D1 & her family (only daughter who was coming) are going to her HB’s family’s cabin alone!! So brunch apparently fell through, and it’s too late to make plans! Like I could’ve had my extended family all together here! Strangely, nobody made plans on my side of the family, so I could have filled in that gap. My mother had no plans and had to scramble to get invited somewhere. My brother had no plans… So now D1 & her HB & babies are staying home from their cabin to invite me & my sister up there for Easter dinner. I invited ex-HB to join us for dinner there on his way back from the cabin, but he said nothing back to me. On his sister’s caregiver calendar (this is SIL with dementia -the birthday girl), only his hyper-controlling sister & her HB are having both breakfast and dinner with SIL with dementia for her Easter birthday. 92-year-old uncle-in-law had no plans for Easter at all when I talked to him last week, so he might not even be included -unless they think to add him in at the last minute. And I am feeling fine to be getting out of this family.

I hope MWO lets [MENTION=7261]Guitarista[/MENTION] back in soon!

I have a lemon cake in the oven. Happy Easter!
                      Last edited by Slo; April 16, 2022, 02:18 PM.

Comment

MOrning nesters

Happy easter everyone.

Lovely to see you pop in Shades and glad you are keeping well.

Slo, i am spending good quality time with Carl over easter. I did see my daughter Good Friday and her bf for lunch and that was nice. No plans here, im not religious so to me its a few days off work to have some R&R and potter around. glad your condo is coming along nicely and May is not too far away.

Lav, mum has hearing aids but they all seem to be shit in her ears. she has changed them so many times. My kids say i am going deaf lol and i am happy about that, dont have to talk so much.

We are having a hot easter, 27 celcius which is weird this time of year. I have put in my cauliflower, broccoli, carrots and cabbage for winter. chooks still laying eggs so that is good.
                        Have been watching Alone, where they put contestants in the middle of buck F**k nowhere. Quiet enjoying it as zero on tv. Went to Aldi and bought a bouple of plant stands yesterday so going to the hardware shop with Carl shortly to buy some pots. Its the only place i can take carl and he loves it. Once upon a time i was never able to drag my butt out of bed so early to function. so glad those days have gone.

My eldest daughter is up visiting her cousing and Jasper so that is lovely, she saw my ex's mum and also her father and his wife yesterday. Its nice to be able to see people again.

take care xxx
                        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Good to see lots of folks checking in today. No big plans for Easter, just wasn’t in the right mood I guess. Busy working outside when I can, have lots of plants coming up
                          My daughter & granddaughter stopped by for a few hours which was nice.

Slo, I hope your knee is OK. I’ll join you in wishing a speedy separation from that dysfunctional family of your ex, geez. Your condo sounds lovely & I know you can’t wait to make it yours

Ava, for some reason there’s lots of stores around here that allow people to bring their dogs along for shopping. I never take mine, she’s a homebody haha!!
                          My husband messed up his hearing way back when we were still in our 30’s by not wearing proper ear protection at the pistol range. He was required to go once/year for his (cop) job. Mostly what he hears is ringing so you have to talk above that sound so he can hear what you’re saying - annoying. There’s no fix for the problem, he’s seen several ENTs. I wish someone would invent something. Your mom is just choosing to be obstinate, that’s a shame.

Pav, you sound busy. Hope your weekend is good.

Wags, hope you’re having a quiet weekend too.

Hello to everyone else & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Just me again saying Hello & Happy Easter to all.

Wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Well had a chilly but sunny Easter. Fun to watch little kids hunt for eggs. I made "baskets" for them that actually were pillowcases so useful all year.
                              It has been a fun few days but I'm ready to head home later today and be quiet and a little bored!! Mornings start fast and early around here! Imagine handling that with a hangover...

Comment

Happy Easter Everyone!

I thought I better check in- I have been 8 years sober now. HOLY SHI_!! lol
                                I am gratefule to MWO to helping me to get sober. We had a great team with the LOAMERS (Ladies on a Mission). This group of gals totally helped me become sober.
                                Some of you ladies are still posting her- you know who you are

I read back a bit and everyone seems to be doing well.

Pav- I don't like paying for other people's booze when I eat out either. It doesn't seem to happen that often though which is nice.

My hubby has hearing aids because he has moderate hearing loss. It is a pain but what can you do?
                                Thanks for sending me a message Ava, once I stopped posting here I just forgot about it for awhile- sheesh. It is always hard to post when I am working but now that I am free I will be here.

I read something about Guitarista not being able to post. What is that about?

Nice to see everyone- Slo, Pav, Lav, NS, Shades, Wags, Belle.

It is warm here today, 9C, which is nice since we had crappy weather the last couple of weeks. It has been cold and windy which was gross.

So I am not working right now but will probably be working in the next few months. I figure I will be working on and off until I am 65, which is good for me. The price of oil is high right now and there are lots of jobs here.

So glad to be sober! Talk soon.

Don't drink today.
                                Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                                "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Working...
                                X