Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters,
    We really need a "WOW!" option along with the "like" and "thankyou" buttons when reacting to some of these posts! Glad it worked out okay with the propane, Wagmore!
    I'm having a lot of drinking thoughts lately. Definitely in a trough at the moment, but this too shall pass. Slo I couldn't drink non-al beer, too close, would make me want the real thing even more. Lovely news about your new grandchildren, and that your near to moving into your new place.
    Been some nice autumn weather here lately. Hello, Ava! Was glad to hear Mr G's fine, and just absent due to tech issues.
    Best wishes to Lav, and everyone else in the Nest
    love,
    Steady xxx
    AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Hi, All:

I agree - it is hard to say Thanks or Like to many posts, but I want to acknowledge them. That sounds scary, Wags. I get freaked out by gas/propane. Also, Steady, I don't drink NA Beer for that very reason. I like beer, and I don't want to keep my taste buds wanting it. But I know many people who do drink it...

Lav, I would love to hear your favorite readings. I think you've recommended the Power of Now before. Anything else specific?

Sorry about your not getting the job, Narilly. Where are you headed on vacation?

I hope Mr. G can come back. I miss his energy here! [MENTION=7263]frances[/MENTION] are you still around?

Happy SOBER Tuesday,
      Pav

Comment

Happy UnHung Tuesday everyone!
        Thank you for everyone's kind words regarding the job. Job searches always suck anyway. Its the time you have to deal with rejection on a daily basis, haha. I actually have an interview at 2pm today so we will see. I am not worried, the industry is busy right now.

Hey Wags, glad you took care of that propane situation. Calm heads prevailed. I agree, I am glad you were sober. We always used to use propane until about 10 years ago and now have a gas outlet. I am always a bit nervous around that kind of stuff.

Steady- let those thoughts fly by! Think of something else like propane or go eat ice cream. Anything to get your mind off of the AL.

Yeah, I miss the GMan too Pav.
        I think I read the Power of Now. I have a lot of books I have to read, they are sitting by my bed.

We are going to Mexico next week, woohoo! Vacations were always an excuse for me to start drinking again but No more. I love my sober vacations. My family drinks way less because I don't drink. We create quite a ripple effect with our sobriety which is great.

Hey, have a nice day and Don't drink!
        Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
        "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

I’m enjoying a respite while Mabel naps.

I’m especially happy about D3’s new pregnancy, because I saw a book on her desk when I visited there in February called “Fast Track to Fertility”, and groaned inwardly as I realized yet another daughter was having fertility issues. Well it turns out that she had already been to a fertility clinic and had ordered the meds to start IVF in March, but then got pregnant naturally in February! But I guess a pelvic clean-up exam that is done before starting IVF can clear things out and allow pregnancy to occur naturally, which is what happened!

I’m glad you have a trip to Mexico, Narilly. I am missing the sun so much! Back to cold-enough-to-snow and cloudy here. It is interesting how if we stop drinking, it slows other family members down.

I have private-messaged the Administrator and the Forum Manager to try to get [MENTION=7261]Guitarista[/MENTION] back in.

Have not been feeling that great lately what with the knee re-injured (lateral collateral ligament strain, sprain, or tear yet again, I guess) and the knock-on effect of not being able to exercise; my detox diet knocking me about physically & emotionally, and causing fatigue; dealing with a sore throat, etc.
          So am grateful to be able to rest and put my leg up now!
          Last edited by Slo; April 26, 2022, 02:04 PM.
          Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Clouds turned to rain just as predicted. What can you do?
            Trying to finish up last minute things for Saturday’s sale anyway

Wags, propane freaks me out too, glad you’re OK. We have a 1000 gallon tank buried in the front yard because there’s no natural gas lines out here in cow country. We use propane for heating, cooking, hot water, etc. The small tank on the grill acts up from time to time too & I refuse to mess with it, seriously. Being sober definitely has it’s advantages :hug:

Steady, distract yourself when you have those drinking thoughts. Works like a charm every time!

Pav, I just checked my Kindle app & would recommend ‘How To Communicate Like a Buddhist’ by Cynthia Kane. Also ‘Everyday Thinking’ by Louise Hay & “Resilient’ by Rick Hanson Ph.D.
            All those books helped me straighten out my thinking, get rid of the negativity & learn more positive ways to think.

Narilly, enjoy your vacation, sober is the way to go
            I have also noticed my family rarely ever drinks anymore. I guess we have started a trend!

Slo, that’s great news for your daughter & for you as well. Sorry the knee is still acting up. Have you called anyone for xrays, MRI or PT?
            Do you suffer with allergies? I have found myself feeling not my best the past few weeks, fatigue & headaches & sore throat, etc. I know it’s allergies in my case, maybe you have some developing too? Hope you feel better soon.

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Quick sober check in. Thanks for the support after the traumatic propane incident. I just keep thinking how glad I am that I was sober and clear-headed. I've had lots of emergency training and it tends to kick in when unexpected things urgently need action, and I'm thankful for that too.

I'm fighting off a cold and am going to bed early tonight in the hopes of extra sleep. Happy almost-hump days to you all!

Will check in again tomorrow.
              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi,

Hope you fight it off, Wags. A lot of people around here are getting doozie colds - I guess after all this time in masks...

We went to hear live music last night - A TUESDAY!! I will be paying for it today from the lack of sleep, but thankfully I won't be paying for it with a hangover. Thank goodness.

Narilly, I see that ripple effect a bit - I think more people around me are willing to try to stay off booze or find alternatives at least some of the time. Awesome that you get to go to Mexico!

Running off to work. Happy SOBER Hump Day.

Pav

Comment

Happy Sober Wednesday everyone!

Yes, it is interesting how we effect those around us. I know that my neighbour really cut down on her wine consumption after I quit. We are change makers!

Wow, it seems like a lot of us are sick. My hubby is really stuffed up and he said quite a few of the guys at work were the same way and they were thinking it was kinda weird.

Lav, you have quite the set up at your place. It does sound beautiful.

Music on a Tuesday Pav? Woohoo! So nice to be able to go to an event and not worry about a hangover.

Have a good one evabody. I am getting a pedicure today to get ready for my trip.
                  Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Good afternoon! Mabel is taking a nice long nap!

Hope the next interview went well, Narilly. You’ll have pretty toes for the beach!

Yes, I hope you headed off the cold too, Wags. Getting a poor night’s sleep the night before after the traumatic propane tank incident could have contributed. Good thing you have emergency training, so know what to do in a situation like that. I fell fast asleep in my clothes in front of the TV at 9:00pm sharp last night, so a nice long, deep sleep -and now my sore throat is nearly gone!

It is sunny today!! I sat out in the sun for 20 minutes when daughter came home for lunch, and will get Mabel out for a short stroller ride when she wakes up. Finally, some sun.

It’s hump day! Have a good one.
                    Last edited by Slo; April 27, 2022, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Count me among the sick. Terrible head and chest cold. I really did enjoy those two years of not being sick at all! I haven’t had conscious thoughts of drinking but I had what seemed like an all night drinking dream the other night. The amount of regret I felt when I woke up but had not figured out it was a dream was intense! Such a reminder to not go back to all of that business!

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Winter has decided to return, geez. Cold & super windy out there, doesn’t feel like spring at all.
                        Still keeping myself busy & out of trouble with my embroidery projects. I don’t think I’ve had a drinking dream in a long time, they were always scary, ugh. I’m grateful for the clear head & I’m keeping it, no matter what!!!!

Wags, sure hope you feel better fast.

Pav, glad you got out for some music, live is the best.

Narilly, I do like living here but it took quite a while to get used to the difference. We both grew up in a suburb of Philly, raised the kids there then moved south. I can walk into the state of Maryland from here. Lots of cows, horse & other critters here, not so many people & that’s OK with me . Hope the pedi was nice.

Slo, sounds like you’re feeling better, that’s great! Enjoy the sunshine while you can.

NS, sorry you caught a cold too, it’s going around along with a stomach virus that’s getting the kids in school, yuck. Hope you feel better real soon.

Hello to all & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Slo - glad you're feeling better! I hope some of that healing energy will head my way too. I'll share it with you NS and others who are also under the weather.

Nar - hope you have a fantastic trip to Mexico!

NS - that sounds like a doozy of a dream (or nightmare really). Glad your regrets were unwarranted. Of course, you don't drink, but to wake up and have it feel so real for even a second is disorienting.

Pav - live music sounds like the perfect way to spend a Tue night. Glad you got to do that.

Well, I can't tell if I'm going to win the fight against this cold or not. I had to teach two long classes today and that didn't help me sound any better, but I haven't taken a nosedive into feeling lousy, so I'm holding out hope that all of the remedies and concoctions I'm using to ward it off will kick it out for good. Ugh -- I don't get sick very often and I hope this isn't one of them!

Take care everyone and see you here tomorrow!
                          Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Good morning,

I hope you can ward it off too, Wags, and don’t end up as sick as poor NS; as you’re still in your busy weeks. My lymph nodes aren’t as swollen now.

My knee is not good, so I’ll need at least three weeks if not more of bracing, no exercising, rest, ice, & elevation -like Available and NS recently went through. And then I need to come to the acceptance that Pav talked about; come to acceptance about the permanent limitations that a knee replacement and the damaged ligament(s) surrounding it put on my mobility. And once it heals again, keep trying to find the elusive sweet spot of how and how much I can use it .

I can tell my twin sister is back to pouring massive amounts of alcohol down her throat again, after her dear friend died a month ago. Her body is breaking down with painful arthritis in her feet now, which has to make achieving sobriety much harder, since alcohol helps to relieve the pain. I feel sad and helpless about this. Damn booze.

I got excited about that little patch of sunlight yesterday! It quickly went back to cloudy & windy, and it’s still quite cold out.

Two more days to get ready for the craft fair, Lav!
                            Last edited by Slo; April 28, 2022, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Hello everyone,
                              Well it looks like I have an offer for another job, woohoo! This one will be a 6 month part time contract which is Great for summer. I like that.
                              I ate a huge meal for lunch and feel kinda gross right now, ugh.

Slo, I am so sorry to hear about your sister. I can't imagine how hard that is to witness especially being a twin sister.

Wags, get better soon, you too NS.
                              Yeah, I have not had a drinking dream for awhile. I always hated those dreams.

Ok, gotta go and read this new contract for the new job.
                              Talk soon xo

Don't drink today.
                              Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

I think I can say I am all ready for the Saturday event, yay!! We will take it all over & set it up tomorrow evening so there’s not so much rushing Saturday morning, I like that

Wags, keeping my fingers crossed for you that you feel better soon. You sound like me, not sick often until it hits you hard, ugh!

Slo, sounds like you’re on the mend from the respiratory funk. I hope you can find that sweet spot with your knee. No one wants to deal with repeated injuries.
                                I’m sorry your sister has relapsed, grief is difficult & everyone handles it differently. Would she be willing to go to some meetings & get some support? Maybe that would be her ticket.

Narilly, Congrats on the job offer! PT during the nice weather sounds good to me

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X