Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hi all, tomorrow is the last day of my big work crunch and then I should have an easier time checking in here. Woohoo!

Pav - yes, my wife and I rode bikes across Italy from Venice to Pisa, through Florence. We spent some time in Milan and Cinque Terre as well, along with what I think they call the "lakes region" (same area Lav described as the foothills of the Alps). There's a town called Lugano in that lake region that is in a beautiful area, town is very walkable, they have a funicular which is kinda fun for getting back and forth between the 'uphill' and 'downhill' parts of town. We also enjoyed Lucca, which is west of Florence. Lucca has a huge wall built around the former city boundary -- now the whole top of that wall is a park and multi-use path all the way around. It's not like a major nightlife kind of city but interesting history and architecture. I'll dig through my notes for other specific ideas if you're interested. One last general suggestion is to stay at a few of the Agriturismo locations. They are basically small farms where you can stay in nice but affordable accommodations and have meals that are mostly grown/raised on that farm location or neighboring farms. I highly recommend this experience!

I'll be reading back to catch up with everyone starting tomorrow. Happy weekends to all!
    Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi Nesters,

It's nice to hear about people's travels, whether domestic or international; I yearn to travel and am researching options...

Things have settled down for me health-wise. Cardiologist says given my two (so far) episodes of atrial fibrillation were 18 months apart, I don't have to take medication every day, can just use when required. The experience has prompted me to address what's going on for my heart, not just medically but spiritually.

Because I post so infrequently it's difficult to catch up all at once, but I do regularly read to see how folks are going. I wish everyone here all the very best, always...

love,
      Steady x
      AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Evening nesters

Slo, lovely that you met some people around your area. I am sure they are not judging you but i did note that women can be very protective of their husbands when there is a single woman around, so take it as a compliment that your are beautiful inside and out.

LC, just go for a walk, you dont need to do a thing if you dont feel like it, except stay sober. we put too much pressure on ourselves that now we arent drinking we have to conquer the world. the world still does what it wants without us contributing greatly. if you are tired, sleep, if you are hungry, eat, if you want exercise its just as good to go for a walk and appreciate being outside in fresh air. I love walking and listening to music or podcasts with the fur boys. it has been damn cold here for early winter and the wind is bone chilling but i am trying to get out every 2nd day.

Wags, lovely to hear that your workload is settling down. A well deserved break is in order.

Kensho, i have decided i cannot think of this work colleague and take on her negative energy, so i wont be engaging with her if i can avoid it. thank god for mask wearing at work so half of my expressions are hidden.

Not much happening with me, long weekend, cleaned the chook nests today which led me to the garden so i did a bit of weeding and planted some carrots and spinach. the price of food and everything else is awful atm so i am thinking of digging up some more ground for summer veges.

i watched a netflix doco on the FLD cult, so sad but interesting. now i am watching Goliath with Billy Bob but it does tend to get a bit heavy. Knitting keeps me occupied also.

take care xx
        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Here we are at the weekend…

You do have very hard, busy days, LC; what with getting up early and working as a chef all day! I can see why you’re exhausted at the end of the work week. I hope your weekend is rejuvenating. And pulling her weight as a flat mate will only help your daughter with life skills & organizational skills as she heads into adulthood. My daughters didn’t get enough of those skills growing up, and they are at a deficit as adults trying to catch up.

I’m sure you won’t drink in Italy. Pav, and you’re not even worried about that. You’re just hoping that the culture isn’t going to be all about drinking, and having wine pushed on you all the time. I’ll be interested to hear how it was. Congratulations to your son!

Nice that you had a family day to celebrate your granddaughter moving out of the elementary school years and into the big schools, Lav.

I’m so tired too. I stretched out on my bed (MY bed; in the same spot on this earth where I have been sleeping for nearly 29 years) at around 7p last night, while I was on the phone; and ended up falling asleep there until 7a this morning. I was at my condo all day, but it felt so good to return “home”.
          I don’t think I have a B12 deficiency, but maybe I should get tested for that to make sure. I was high in iron last month, probably because I eat a lot of meat; and had to do some blood-letting (donate blood) to reduce the load.

It was more the guy neighbor who seemed disappointed by my divorce after such a long marriage. But, maybe it was meant to be sympathy; as they have children & grandchildren now too, and couldn’t imagine not having each other. I met the other neighbor across the street in that duplex condo unit, and she is super nice. Her eyes widened at the divorce, but probably in response to her own situation, as she still is so broken up at being suddenly widowed a year ago. So it looks like I will be blessed with very nice neighbors in my new living situation!

Kensho, I am taking two large pieces of artwork that I really like from my old home to my new one. I’m glad your daughter can benefit from a little academic help, so she can get out & socialize, and you can have quiet to focus on your work. I always sent my daughters to summer school for the same reasons. But, it’s mostly fun classes in our district, and mostly for the young ones.

Nar, your Indian food sounds divine!

The surf’s up, but I hope the water hasn’t turned too cold yet, G!
          Last edited by Slo; June 11, 2022, 08:34 AM.
          Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Good morning everyone. So nice to wake up feeling good on a Saturday. I had SO many hangovers on Saturday and certainly do not miss that along with all the feelings of regret for all the stupid things I said and did the night before.

It is always good to get a good sleep, Slo, I had a restless sleep which sucks but seems to happen more often these days.

Pav, I know you wont drink in Italy because You don't drink! Going for a bike ride through Italy sounds amazing Wags, I would love to do that.

Ava, I have been watching Stranger Things on Netflix. I like it but it is a bit long.

LC, you are doing well. Keep it up!

Heey G Man xo

NS, nice to read your posts.
            Hello Steady!

Have a great Saturday everyone!

Nar
            Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
            "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

We’ve had a break in the rain so I just went out for a long walk, nice
              Tomorrow will definitely be an indoor day but I have plenty to do so I won’t be bored.

Wags, congrats on the end of your extreme busy period. I hope the summer is nicer for you work-wise.

Steady, glad to see you are OK. Afib is scary & definitely not to be ignored. Glad you have a good medical plan in place. Stop in any time so we know you’re OK.

Ava, you can actually grow veggies in the winter? That’s great, I would too considering the cost of everything these days. I’m with you, keeping those nest boxes clean means cleaner eggs that don’t need to be washed. I like to keep the eggs unwashed for storage.

Slo, that’s a great sleep you had, you must have been exhausted. Everything is going to level out for you soon.
              Do you take any iron supps or multi vits with minerals? I had ti stop the multi vits when I started having allergic reactions to the chromium they include with the minerals, weird. I eat very little meat so I take the B12 in addition to the all B with C. We have to keep changing our routines to. Keep up with the aging body stuff I think.

Narilly, hangover free Saturdays rock, I agree!

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!
              Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hey all. Day 13 and having a tough time of it. I don’t want to drink to drink but to blot out my mind. I am in a tough spot. Hope one day I can share some more of my life here but right now I see black. Thought I would drink tonite. Not for any other reason than mental anguish. Made a frozen protein shake and it eased the desire to relieve my thoughts by drinking. I have been sick for awhile with bronchitis and started Amoxicillin on Thursday. Ruled out COVID, Flu & Strep earlier in week with tests. Still feeling a bit sick and hope antibiotic will help soon. Haven’t had a good nite sleep since this past Monday b/c the coughing must wake me up 10 times a night. Had an easier time in beginning of my quit and am thinking it is the infection depressing me. My living environment is not a positive though I wonder if depression is making me see all the negatives relating to my situation. The only thing ever helped me through this life is alcohol and exercise. Many times I have gone without booze and exercise is my savior. Since having Covid in early January exercise is not there. I am in a bind and I know it. This drinking thing is going to go one way or the other. At this point (age)in my life I think it will be a hard landing if I begin to drink again. Well I am thankful for this space here because if nothing else it got me through another day AF. Probably could ramble on for awhile but just want to say thanks to everyone and wish you all the best. Off to pray now and then hit the sack. Thanks for your time.

Comment

good morning, nesters!

it's a rainy sunday morning here.. i'm drinking a huge cup of coffee while i check in here and then will head over to the gym.. yesterday was another difficult day, but mostly because i also haven't been sleeping well/enough. last night was better so today i feel better.. imagine that!:happy2:
                  [MENTION=11645]Hypernova[/MENTION], how are you feeling? great job on distracting yourself/coming here to post. being sick is the pits and it tends to bring me into a kind of depression as well..i hear you with exercise being your savior.. what sport/s do you like to do? i would love to see you more often here! i've been in a crazy binge cycle for quite awhile, not drinking for usually 10-14 days, then drinking almost as many till i could manage to pull myself out again. i wouldn't even call what i was doing relapsing, because i didn't really want to stop or think i could. i have negative voices that come to me sometimes, telling me that i can't stop, will never be able to so why bother trying again, why waste the time of those trying to help me. telling me that i'm one of the "unfortunate ones" talked about in the aa book, who can't commit to the truth. i know that's bullshit and that i have the power within myself to get to the other side, to find my way out.. i just have to hold tight, do what i say i'm going to do, have a plan!! aside from exercise, coming here and posting, hearing what others have to say and posting/getting out what's on my mind is a saving grace. anyway.. i do hope the antibiotics will kick in soon for you and that you'll stop coughing soon! :hug:

Ava, planting a bigger garden is a great idea! what kinds of things grow there in the winter? how cold do you all actually get? i still need to plant my balcony and will look to do it sometime this or next week.. thank you for your encouragement to do less!! it helps to hear it from someone else, that it's ok to take it slow, take it easy.. i'm in this for the long run, not for the short sprint. i've always been a fly by the seat of pants kind of person, terrible at making any sort of long term goals (even 3 months can be long term for me) and even worse at meeting my goals. so the reminder of just taking today works well for me.. i can most often handle today. i would like to get better at making and reaching some goals.. glad you're getting out for walks every 2 days.. that is one of my current goals.. to get some sort of exercise every 2 days.

hi and hugs to all of you checking in today.. i'm going to run off to get ready and will check back in this evening.. today my plan is to take it slow. to listen to my body and to do what needs to be done. if anything feels stressful, i'll let it go. i'm with my guy during the day and this evening the girls will be here.. i'll take time/rest when i need it.
                  xxx

Comment

me again.. i decided to (each day) randomly jump to a page in the toolbox to read.. today i landed on a great post from Orimus from a few years back.. i wonder where he is? i'm gonna post it again here.. maybe it can help someone to stop and breathe.. helped me.:love:

""Stop, breathe. You didn't screw up, you realize that what you've been doing isn't getting you the results that you want. That is all. Your house may be messy right now, you may feel a little all over the place right now. However, that is only right now not forever especially since that is not where you see yourself. Keep walking; stop, jack up the car and put the wheels back on. Take time to step away from the noise whether that means getting away to the woods, to a monastery or a long drive where it's just you and if you don't want the radio on you can shut it off. Shut off all the alerts on your phone that are unnecessary and just sit and listen to the wind. Pay attention to the world around you - to the trees as you pass them by, to the smile of a stranger.

I would not advise waiting until you understand before you do, before you start creating the change that you want to see. As you push towards that change THAT is when you will begin to understand. Break things down, choose one thing and start changing it whatever it is. The rest can wait. Be gentle with yourself because change is distressing and your body and mind are healing as you learn to live without the alcohol. You are not an anxious nut case you are just anxious right now trying to understand. Get out of your head and pay attention to what you feel. If it hurts it's because there is a wound that needs mending, if you are afraid it is because you are faced with the unknown and/or uncertainty. Take it one step at a time, one breath at a time.

The more you focus on what you don't want, the more you focus on the dread the more it will grow like someone telling you you can't have sweets. Don't think of pink elephants! lol The story of no one's life is written ASAP but chapter by chapter. The prologue is done so what is the story that you want to write? Chapter by chapter, page by page, word by word. The sky isn't falling dear. Of course I can't and no one can tell you don't feel anxious, don't feel so pressured, don't don't don't..... We can only share with you and suggest things that we have seen work.

So take it slow, take it gently. Paint the picture of the tomorrow that you want to live and keep walking. One step at a time, one breath at a time you'll get there.""

Comment

Good Sunday morning
                      :
                      I had a ridiculously low energy day yesterday, too. Just uncomfortable, lonely, listless etc. Ah well. After the full moon on Tuesday, I will feel better. All the amped-up physical aches, emotional liability, mental fog, and deep fatigue will abate, and I will even out for awhile. Yes, Lav, maybe I should add a B Complex vitamin during this tough week of the month. I called my friend yesterday, and she talked to/with me for 6 hours, and that’s how I got through the day. And ate a lot. Hungry-Angry-Lonely-Tired: we have to address those.

Steadfast, glad your A fib is mild enough that you don’t need to be on daily medication.

Ava, I concur with your thoughts to minimize engagement with your difficult co-worker, both mentally and physically.

NS, how is your vacation going? I hope it’s warm enough outside.

Hypernova! You are on a difficult day at day 13. [MENTION=11704]Byrdlady[/MENTION] always said that was a difficult day for her, and she felt better when she got over that hump.
                      I hear you about exercise. It is a great substitute for drinking. Painful, strained ligaments around my artificial knee are preventing me from exercising like I’d like to, and it’s frustrating.
                      Excessive alcohol intake leaves one vulnerable to respiratory infections. The good news is you can greatly minimize those from occurring if you quit drinking. Please lean on us and “ramble” away. It isn’t easy, but you are doing it!

Young daughter arrived home yesterday from her trip to Oregon! And she brought two fresh Covid exposures with her. I hope having had Covid in February will continue to protect me.

Best wishes to all as we wind up the weekend!
                      Last edited by Slo; June 12, 2022, 08:31 AM.
                      Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Good morning everyone.

Hello Hypernova, so good to hear from you. Exercise helped me a lot when I finally was able to quit. exercise, listening to The Bubble Hour podcast, being nice to myself, letting the drinking thoughts float by and doing different things. For example, every Friday I changed it up. I went for a bike ride after work or went to a different restaurant or a movie. Just kept myself busy to keep me away from booze.
                        It sucks that you are sick, hang in there and keep moving towards the light.:heartbeat:

So take it slow, take it gently. Paint the picture of the tomorrow that you want to live and keep walking. One step at a time, one breath at a time you'll get there.""
                        Thanks Life, this is a good one and I loved the post from Orimus.
                        There are so many good posts in the Tool Box.

Slo, I hope you don't get Covid. I am sure you won't but it is hard to know with this stupid virus.

Hope everyone is doing well. I am going to a Beatles play tonight. It is a dinner and musical about the beatles so that should be a blast. A bunch of us from the choir are going and will be singing our hearts out.
                        Speaking of choir, this is definitely something different that I do. I never would have done it before because I can't drink and sing.

Hey, take it easy everyone!

I love my garden too but only have herbs and tons of flowers. Not really any veggies. It is a great distraction for me.
                        Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                        "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Good Sunday evening Nesters,

Had a break from rain for a while today but it’s very humid outside.
                          We were lucky enough to find a huge head of cauliflower & 2 zucchinis in the garden today. Lucky because we got them before the groundhog did, haha!! Those devils tore up our veggies last year.

Hypernova, good to see you but sorry you are having a hard time. Definitely focus on getting rid of your respiratory infection so you can just feel better. Great job on your 13 days AF. The days will pile up quickly, you’ll see. I know it’s hard now but I really believe in the power of positive thinking. Keep telling yourself things WILL get better & believe it too. Hope yo feel better real soon.

LC, keep doing what you’re doing because it’s working
                          Rereading the tool box from time to time is a great idea for all of us.

Slo, I won’t go a day without my B complex, it’s like a miracle for me. Glad you were able to use the necessary tools to get thru yesterday,
                          I take an extra 500mg of C with dinner, started that when Covid first arrived figuring it can’t hurt & may provide me with a stronger immune system. I hope the covid exposure doesn’t turn into anything for you & your daughter.

Narilly, the Beatles show sounds great, have a lot of fun!

Hello to the rest & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Originally posted by lifechange View Post
                            me again.. i decided to (each day) randomly jump to a page in the toolbox to read.. today i landed on a great post from Orimus from a few years back.. i wonder where he is? i'm gonna post it again here.. maybe it can help someone to stop and breathe.. helped me.:love:

""Stop, breathe. You didn't screw up, you realize that what you've been doing isn't getting you the results that you want. That is all. Your house may be messy right now, you may feel a little all over the place right now. However, that is only right now not forever especially since that is not where you see yourself. Keep walking; stop, jack up the car and put the wheels back on. Take time to step away from the noise whether that means getting away to the woods, to a monastery or a long drive where it's just you and if you don't want the radio on you can shut it off. Shut off all the alerts on your phone that are unnecessary and just sit and listen to the wind. Pay attention to the world around you - to the trees as you pass them by, to the smile of a stranger.

I would not advise waiting until you understand before you do, before you start creating the change that you want to see. As you push towards that change THAT is when you will begin to understand. Break things down, choose one thing and start changing it whatever it is. The rest can wait. Be gentle with yourself because change is distressing and your body and mind are healing as you learn to live without the alcohol. You are not an anxious nut case you are just anxious right now trying to understand. Get out of your head and pay attention to what you feel. If it hurts it's because there is a wound that needs mending, if you are afraid it is because you are faced with the unknown and/or uncertainty. Take it one step at a time, one breath at a time.

The more you focus on what you don't want, the more you focus on the dread the more it will grow like someone telling you you can't have sweets. Don't think of pink elephants! lol The story of no one's life is written ASAP but chapter by chapter. The prologue is done so what is the story that you want to write? Chapter by chapter, page by page, word by word. The sky isn't falling dear. Of course I can't and no one can tell you don't feel anxious, don't feel so pressured, don't don't don't..... We can only share with you and suggest things that we have seen work.

Hola friends from a cool, wild and windy beach pad.

I love this LC. I couldn't agree more strongly with every word. It is great to see you! Gee whillacker's....you've stumbled upon an amazeballs post there. bless the generous soul who put that together, and bless you for posting it. Thanks. Go gently amid the chaos. Kind but firm is one of my mantra's.

Big waves to evabody. Surf's up!
                            Last edited by Guitarista; June 12, 2022, 07:42 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Morning Nesters!

Unhung Monday mornings are definitely a gift to those of us who don't drink!! When i think now of a hung over morning.. gosh i never want that again!! Waking up with thoughts of just having to get through this day, wondering how i would make it through work, promising myself i wouldn't drink in the afternoon, dragging myself through the day, sometimes having to drink at work to be able to do that, going on auto pilot to the shop to buy wine and beer, enough to get me through the afternoon/evening then coming home and beginning at 2pm.. it always felt like such a relief, that first drink.. if i could just stop at that (which i said i would though i bought enough to get two normal people plastered).. but i never did and to be honest, never have.. so i was rinse and repeating a terrible cycle. it seems like that's been going on for ages and in fact it has.. it got to the point that i'd rather be alone and drink than have my kids around, my boyfriend, my friends.. as we know, alcohol wants to isolate us.. so today is day 9!! time flies! i know i have to be extra careful these next days.. and actually, knowing myself, i need to stay vigilant and be extra careful EACH an EVERY DAY (definitely ODAT) for the next months.. cause i've had a million relapses at 10 days, 14 days, 21 days, 31 days, etc... often i drink just when i'm beginning to feel great (like now) and even after i've posted here in the morning.. so i'm going to make it a habit to post after work as well, regardless of how i'm feeling.
                              so my plan today is work (running late now!), then i'll come home and make a nice meal.. will have some time with the girls, then basically have a free afternoon/evening.. i want to prepare something Wags recommended long ago as a tool to use if i'm feeling cravings.. to cut little pieces of paper and write on them, things to do instead of drinking.. fold them and put them in a jar.. then when i don't know what to do with myself, i can pull one (or more) out.. , then i'll come and check in with all of you again..:love:

Slo, i hope you'll be feeling better soon.. my eldest asked me yesterday when the full moon would be.? thanks to you i knew the answer!! it sounds like you have a really good friend! i'm happy to hear that..

big hugs to everyone and see you later on..xxxx
                              Last edited by lifechange; June 13, 2022, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Well sad to say I did not make it to day 15. I am sick and I think depressed and so I drank to kill the pain. I did not want to drink and do not want to but the pain overwhelmed me and I just wanted relief. Thanks to everyone who was supportive and kind. Don’t feel well enough to name everyone but you know who you are and I appreciate each and every one. By the way I am not hungover just still sick. Just did like Granny did I drank for medicinal purposes. All joking aside I will be back and don’t plan right now to drink or not to. Just need to feel somewhat better so I can include exercise in my plan b/c without it it is nearly impossible for me to remain AF. I hope everyone has a blessed AF day. Thanks so much, hyper.

P.S. It is nearly impossible for me to exist let alone not drink without exercise in my life.
                                Last edited by Hypernova; June 13, 2022, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X