Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Originally posted by BelleGirl View Post
    In all that racket I took doggie for a walk. She is afraid of almost everything but fireworks and thunder (big triggers for most dogs) don't phase her. Go figure. Then I dropped her off and took a nice solo walk while everything quieted down.
    Hey Belle!! Big congrats on lucky 13 though I think you had more to do with it thank luck did. I am on day 9 and am going to for once to put all my faith and determination into not looking back. Feeling more settled (determined) w/o drinking than I ever have.. Feels like now or never for some reason. Just wish it hadn't taken my whole life to get to this point!! I like what Lav said " Over the years I have realized keeping everyone else out of my head to be very helpful. I know what I want & I’m not letting anyone interfere this time around ". Power in those words, thank you Lav!! Belle you are fortunate to have a dog who is not afraid of fireworks or thunder. My little guy freaks out and I spent till the wee hours of the night in the basement with him. Couldn't agree more how silly of a tradition it is to blow stuff up to celebrate something, anything. I always think of all the wild animals and how they feel not to mention all our domesticated animals or people with PTSD or any other problem that LOUD noises affect. Anyway hope everyone is having a peaceful and happy day. All the best to everyone........ hyper

Comment

Happy 4th Nesters,

Staying home all weekend is the perfect celebration for me, haha. No traffic woes, no spending a fortune at the gas station just to drive a few miles, geez. I’ve always worried about drunk drivers on the roads during these holiday celebrations too. Can you tell the retired nurse & retired cop here have seen enough of that BS? Lol.

LC, big CONGRATS to you on your 30 days AF :welldone:
      You have done the hardest part, now you need to maintain your quit. Stick close to the nest, we support one another for the long term.

Belle, yay for you on your lucky 13 day .
      I think being left out of plans that don’t really interest you is like receiving a gift, haha. I’d much rather spend the time with my dog, my faithful friend!

Hyper, good on your day 9! You definitely sound more committed to your quit & that’s what works for us.
      Took me a while but I have managed to learn to ignore the thoughts & feelings (of family & some friends) on what I should & should not do! I don’t know why people think it’s a good idea to tell another full fledged, educated adult what they ‘should do’ especially in an area that they have no knowledge or experience. Only you know what is good for you, the opinions of others just don’t matter. I hope i’m making sense. Trust yourself, your thoughts & opinions and do what is best for you

Hello to everyone else & wishing a safe night on the nest for all!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

LC, congratulations on your 30 days! You put in the hard yards and made it! The magnesium and B vitamins were likely quite helpful in getting through the first thirty days.

Belle, I remember you posting about your last 4th of July too…remembering that you were in the vulnerable position of being in no shape to help if anyone got hurt while son & his friends were setting off fireworks is good reinforcement for this quit.

Wags, I don’t envy you having to prepare for your dud’s death, but I like how you’re going into it with eyes wide open with full awareness. “We want to make sure your wishes & preferences are followed”… I like that angle. I spent time with my stepfather guy on Sunday, and he is declining more sharply now. I think he will make it to his 92nd birthday in September, but most likely not to his 93rd.
        I talked to 92-year-old Uncle Don (ex-HB’s uncle) on the phone for a couple hours yesterday, and I hate to see him slowing down. But that’s how it goes at that age.

Thanks for your empowering words of late, Lav. They help me too.

We got to have a little family gathering on Sunday at daughter’s house so people could meet baby Huxley, I saw wonderful fireworks off my new balcony, and also while driving home from D2’s house; my real estate agent and her partner took me out to dinner and for a boat ride on their lake on Friday…so a reasonable facsimile to being “Up North” this holiday weekend. Then had a crappy, low-energy, down day yesterday, but those happen sometimes.

Hope Pav is enjoying Italy! Shout-out to Ava, and Kensho…wishing all a good week!
        Last edited by Slo; July 5, 2022, 08:37 AM.
        Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

hi Nesters!

quick accountability check in..
          have to get my butt into bed as my alarm is going to ring at 3:30!:egad:
          getting my youngest off to the airport..
          good thing is i'll have time to post after she leaves and before work..
          big hugs!!

Happy 10 days to you, Hyper!
          and 14 to you, Belle...xx

Comment

Hola eveabody,

LC! Congrat's on 30 days +

Belle! congrat's on 13 days +

Hyper! Congrat's on 10 days + Wowza my friends. Keep it rolling you bona fide dead set legends.

Big waves to all. Doing ok here. Lot's on and aiming for appreciation over expectation everytime.

Go git it. L8tr g8tr's.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Looks like we get another evening of rain even though we really don’t need more at the moment.
              My neighbor came over & picked up her 3 young chickens that I was watching while they were away. She was amazed at how much they grew in a week, I didn’t even notice, Lol

Slo, it’s nice to stay in touch with the older generation. All of our elders are gone now, kinda sad.
              Glad the family is meeting it’s youngest member, that’s exciting! The dinner & boat sounds real nice. We all have those crappy low days now & then. Keep the faith that everything is moving in the right direction for you

LC, I hope your day went well despite starting SO early!!!

G, it’s so true that when we appreciate what we already have our whole outlook changes. I had to learn that the hard way but it’s a good lesson for all of us.

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

hi Nesters!

5:30 am here and i'm soooo tired!:happy2:
                but thank goodness i was clear headed and able to wake up for the "kids".. they definitely would have overslept! they just finished school and are off to Greece for a week.. lucky dogs!

Lav, i wanted to say that i have also appreciated and received a lot from your words of experience and support these past couple of days.. :love: great things to think about!
                Slo, boats and lakes and baby.. sounds so nice.

i had a few drinking thoughts yesterday.. something in the back of my mind was trying to convince me that i could have just one beer.. but i quickly remembered that i never wanted just one.. and that if i allowed the alcohol to get into my system i'd be a lost cause with regards to making decisions. i know my reality and that is that once i drink anything, any little amount, it's all bets off!! also took note that i was hungry, thirsty and tired.. so i made a yummy tuna salad, drank a lot of water, read here and waited for my youngest to come home from training so i could help her finish packing.. i don't want to let her and her sister, let alone myself, down again!

eldest has decided to go through with her pregnancy.. she and her guy seem to be doing better, talking things through and making necessary changes/tweaks to their relationship..
                she's got her energy back now that she's made a decision.. she'd been planning on leaving Berlin but is making alternative plans for the time she'll need to stay here for the next couple of years.. the girls and i had been tentatively planning to visit my parents over Christmas, but we've postponed till next year.. i, however, just bought tickets to go in October for 2 weeks by myself!

hi to Gman, Hyper, Belle, NS, Nar (how are you?), Ava (how are you), Kensho, Wags, Pav.. How is Byrdie doing? i saw the thread she started for Mick.. hope i haven't missed anyone.. big hugs and a wishing you all a nice Wednesday!xx

Comment

Hey LC!! I know drinking thoughts. Just let them float out as easily as they floated in. Hang in you’re doing fine. Congratulations on 30 that’s absolutely fantastic!! I’m fine and thanks for asking. Good thing I have ten days in now cause I took my pup in for surgical evaluation and not to my surprise he needs it. If I didn’t some days behind me AF I would have had strong urge to drink.
                  Believe me I thought about it. But no I will not !!! Six weeks trying to keep my flying squirrel quiet while healing would be absolutely impossible drinking. So that’s a huge plus for him and also for myself. Up late cause don’t want to take him in in a.m. so guess I am procrastinating. Anyway gotta do it so nite to everyone!! AF is one drink away so keep it that way…..hyper

Comment

Good morning Nesters,

I saw baby Huxley yesterday, and helped clean daughter’s house so they’ll be ready to host his family today when they come to see new baby. It’s so nice to be able to visit and spend time with my daughters in these casual, intimate ways now that they’ve had babies! Otherwise everyone is busy going to work all the time, and we don’t see much of each other.

Hyper, I’m glad you’re seizing the day if it feels like now or never to you. And it took most of us years & years to get to this point…we all have the lost years that we all have the lost years that we regret.
                    Now I see: it’s the post-surgical period with your dog that is going to be so rough! You will need to be AF for that!

LC, you will be stateside this Fall! Glad to hear it’s not until then, so you can get some solid AF months under your belt beforehand. Setting yourself up for success! Geez, you had an early morning!…bedtime will be early tonight for you.

G & Lav, I need to work on focusing on appreciating what I have rather than ruminating on past regrets. Thanks for that reminder.

Happy hump day…
                    Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Hey, Nest

Great to see the newer newbies doing so well. I promise you will never regret kicking this beast to the curb! LC, I don't think you need to compare this quit to your previous ones - your head is clearly in a different place and you are sticking with the check-ins here that really can help rewire your brain. You've got this :hug:

Speaking of drinking thoughts... it occurred to me as I drove home after a July 4 cook out that next week I'll be home alone for over a week... and maybe I could test the waters and see if I can now be a normal drinker (sort of like I now am a 'normal' sweet eater without much of a problem - one really is enough and often more than enough b/c it tastes way too sweet). I even looked on the top shelf of the pantry to see if my SIL had left a bottle of wine behind. Then, I snapped out of it with a 'but I don't drink' thought and went on with the evening.

Then, last night I had to unexpectedly drive somewhere in the early evening, a time at which I would have been 3 sheets to the wind (whatever that means :haha if I were still drinking. As I drove, I thought about how relieved and proud I was not to have had to lie and make excuses about why I couldn't be the one to run the unplanned errand. The universe did a good job reminding me of why I don't drink! I will enjoy my week on my own and be aware of ALL of it.

Comment

hi Nesters!

Hyper, so sorry to hear about your dog needing surgery... what is wrong? you're right, that you'll need to have a clear head, all your nerves and patience and energy to handle things post surgery.. we can do this! there's never a good reason to drink.. even if it seems like there might be, that it might bring escape or some sort of relief in the moment, drinking only destroys us and everything we're working towards.. we've got this..:hug:

NS, i do feel like these daily multiple check ins are helping to rewire my brain.. i don't want to count my chickens before they're hatched.. but it has been a bit "easier" to deal with annoying thoughts. today i was quite stressed at work and with not having had enough sleep, i felt quite rough.. but i know that i never really mean one drink.. i know that that voice is trying to trick me.. i haven't felt as afraid of it, or like it has power over me.. i've been able to let the thoughts wash over and away from me, which is great..
                        enjoy your week alone!!! i also have a couple of days alone which is so nice..

i hope everyone is doing well.. thinking of you all..xx
                        Last edited by lifechange; July 6, 2022, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Getting more rain dumped on us, goodness. Such high humidity (>70%) brings on these tropical-like downpours.

LC, good job getting up in the middle of the night for the kids. I haven’t had to do that for a long, long time thank goodness. Being there for the kids or other family is so important to me, and to yu as well
                          So you will be a grandma this year, congrats to you. When do you expect the baby to arrive? This is a very exciting time, you’ll love every minute, I promise!

Hyper, sorry to hear your dog will have surgery soon. Our pups are so much a part of our families. Keep yourself on your toes so you can help him out afterwards. Wishing you the best of luck for quick healing.

Slo, that’s great the family is meeting the new baby & there you are right in the middle of the excitement.
                          You have a growing family to focus on, consider yourself very lucky

NS, being ready at the drop of a hat is what it’s all about!! Of course you’ll enjoy your solo week, sounds great. Maybe it’s time to start some new sewing projects too!
                          I really haven’t had any drinking thoughts for a very long time BUT to be honest, I do still think about smoking, ugh. I quit smoking a couple months after going AF but I still think about the stupid things. I just won’t go there, no matter. What!!

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Good evening (or whatever time it is for you) Nesters.

Checking in after 2 post holiday days of work. Taking tomorrow off to take daughter to her campus to talk to resident life (they don't answer phones, idk what people who live far away do) and to look at off campus housing. She was put back into the freshman dorm and is sounding like she would rather transfer to another college than deal with that again. And I don't blame her...

A couple of you have mentioned the fact of how it feels to be able to help out kids/friends/relatives at any time day or night and not be "3 sheets to the wind" (NS I don't know what that means either, but perhaps someone can explain it to us). I had my experience that night my sister in law was having to deal with an ectopic pregnancy and I had to spend the night with my niece.

I walked out of work today with the word "free" on my mind. I am FREE not to drink! And what a good feeling that is.

I would like to go for my evening walk, but it is still 84 degrees and 900% humidity. Even though it is after 9pm, I think it is even too much for taking the pup on a walk. I might go around the block before the rain hits

Snuggle into your nest twigs and have a comfy night all!
                            BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

morning Nesters!

had to google three sheets to the wind!!.. ""The phrase “three sheets to the wind” is a nautical term originating from the 19th century. On large ships, the ropes hold the sail corners taut, so they catch the wind, propelling the vessel forward. These ships would typically have three sails. If the first sail lost is tautness, the boat would lose stability. If it lost two sails, it would yaw and pitch from side to side, and with three sails to the wind, the ship would lose all control.""

we sure all know that feeling.. but never have to go there again..!

running off to work so will be by to post properly later on.. raining and cold here! brrr..
                              xx

Comment

Hey all, thanks for your support around our dog and my dad. I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment, but I'm sober and I can do this. The trick, it turns out, is just the same as maintaining a solid quit: take the work or tasks one day at a time, and keep an eye forward on the horizon so some planning can also be done

LC - congrats on your 30 days and counting! Of course this is just a milestone on your journey toward the next one cuz you don't drink. It's not good for you (it's actually bad for you) and you don't need it.

Belle - I don't blame your daughter a bit on the housing situation. I hope that gets resolved smoothly and quickly.

Lav - sounds like several of us had quiet holiday weekends. I agree with you about staying off the roads and away from the drunk drivers.

NS - glad you were able to do the unexpected errand the other day. And no, you don't need to think about "maybe just one drink" -- even if you've been able to do that with sweets, al is a different beast (like sugar on steroids rampaging through your life), and that sounds like a pretty steep price to pay for a drink.

Hellos and waves to G, Slo, Hyper, and everyone else hanging out in the nest. Hope you all are having great first weeks of July!
                                Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Working...
                                X