Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hey everyone!! Not sure which day I was last here but as LC said check in when I have a minute. So here I am. Dog is doing well and resting much of the day comfortably. He is a great patient!! I hope I can be as good as he has because we will be healing for the next 4 weeks as a team. Yesterday before going to work I was scrambling to get my boy all set up to spend several hours alone while at work and stubbed my toe on his gate. Didn’t feel like most times I have stubbed a toe or jammed a finger as the pain didn’t subside as quickly. So went to work anyway and as the night progressed the pain got a bit worse which to me was not a good sign. Went home fed the pup then decided to call a 24 hour nurse hotline and she recommended ER visit. X-rays revealed broken pinky toe. So after 4 hours there went back home to take a snooze. Anyways that’s kinda it. So fortunately I am on day 29 and doing okay. Gonna follow up with my foot doc on Monday. While I was at work where there is always access to A I said to myself I will crawl on my knees to my car before I take a drink. Determined but also know I must take this one day at a time. I will worry about tomorrow mañana. So at least I will have some great quality time with my boy. No income but ahh what you gonna do. Greetings to everyone and wishing all a good/great AF Sunday. …. hyper

Comment

Sunday evening greetings Nesters,

Still in the hot/humid stuff here. 95 today, felt like >100, ugh.
      Just can’t do much outside so I do a little then come right back in the AC

Wags, hope your weekend is going well!

Ava, sorry about the shoulder tear. Sure hope you get some relief soon. Walking 3 dogs is too much for anyone, so take it easy.
      Sounds like you’re going to have plenty of doggie time coming up.

Belle, a weekend nap sounds pretty good to me!

Slo, sorry about the leaks, geez. Did any of your neighbors have them too? Hope they get that repaired quickly.
      Give the zucchini pancakes a try - I made mine with reduced salt & extra onion & black pepper for a nice zippy flavor. I now have 2 gallon bags of them frozen so I can have them whenever

Hyper, your toe - OUCH! Sorry about that, sounds like something I would do, honestly. Hope you heal up fast. Enjoy the time with your pup, he doesn’t drink either

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Originally posted by Lavande View Post

Hyper, your toe - OUCH! Sorry about that, sounds like something I would do, honestly. Hope you heal up fast. Enjoy the time with your pup, he doesn’t drink either

Lav
        That was funny Lav!! “He doesn’t drink either” brought an instant smile to my face that lingered!! Thanks just what I needed a good laugh!’ Still smiling ☺️…. hyper:hug:

Comment

Slo - thanks for mentioning it, yes, today is my 6-year soberversary. I'm very happy to be on such solid ground on that front.

Hyper - sorry to hear about your toe!!! I hope you and your pupper heal well together over the next several weeks.

Ava - that's fantastic that you have such a long chunk of time off, even if you plan to mostly just relax during that time. Sounds pretty good to me!

The biggest news on my end is that I had a zoom chat with my brother today and told him I. Need. Help. with our dad. I'm not expecting a ton, but he is going to do some research that will be very helpful and I appreciate the assistance. Just feeling not totally alone is making a difference already.

Happy new week everyone!
          Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

hi Nesters!

Happy 6th Anniversary, dear Wags!! what an accomplishment!:heartbeat: i'm glad you reached out to your brother and that he's able to give you at least a bit of help.. from what you've said about him before, research seems to be something he likes and is good at..

Hyper, so sorry to hear about your toe! i did that once while i was drunk.. slammed my foot into a crate while i was shuffling along.. sooooo painful. let us know what the doctor says and have fun with your pup.. :happy2:

Lav, i'll tell you, this weather is killing me! at least we had a coolish night so i trapped that air in, closed all windows, pulled all blinds and have the fans running.. i'm not going outside again today!! zucchini pancakes sound yummy!!

Ava, i hope having a quiet 4 weeks is ok for you.. you'll be really well rested in the end! i have to say i'm envious.. i tend to split up my vacation time these days which is also nice, but one doesn't necessarily get the deep rest..

NS, i can't remember if i responded to what you wrote..? i'm sorry about the covid and especially that you aren't able to visit.. i hope they'll continue to be well/without symptoms.. thinking of you!:hug:

so i went shopping this morning to try and find a summer dress and it was sooooo depressing and frustrating.. i've really got to start to get rid of some of the alcohol fat i gained this past year... baby steps..

wishing everyone a nice Monday.. see you later.xx

Comment

Nighty night, Nest!.. for me at least!:sleeping:
              see you all tomorrow..xx

Comment

Hi nester's,

Happy 6 years Wags! Wowza! that's legendary stuff right there gf.

Big waves to evabody. Some work and music making on round these parts. I'll take it.

Surf's up!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Our 8 day heatwave is supposed to end later. Today - we’ll see. The ‘big storms’ barely wet the ground this afternoon.

Wags, CONGRATS to you, 6 years AF :welldone: That’s a nice round number, be proud of your accomplishment!
                  I’m glad you asked for help & I truly hope your brother comes thru for you.

G, how are you?

LC, the older I get the harder it is to even lose a pound. I think my metabolism is pretty well shot at this point, haha. We eat well & I do my best to get 60 minutes of activity in every single day but it doesn’t make much difference. You’re younger, you’ll get there but protecting your quit is most important right now.

Hyper, hope that toe is starting to improve & I’m happy to make you smile right now

Lav
                  Last edited by Lavande; July 25, 2022, 05:26 PM.
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'm pretty happy to be sitting at 6 years plus a day now. It was super hard at the beginning and it took several false starts, falling off the wagon, wanting to give up and then deciding I was worth fighting for. Somewhere in year 2 or maybe 3, things shifted and it wasn't really a fight anymore. Now, for the most part, it just IS. Like not drinking has authentically become part of my identity, my self-image.

And I like that.

I'm still working on other ways of being a better me, but the non-drinker part is pretty solid!

What do you want to see when you think of yourself? And what DO you see? If those are not essentially the same, what's one thing you'd like to do next to help bring those two "selfs" closer together?
                    Last edited by wagmor; July 25, 2022, 11:03 PM.
                    Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Evening nesters

quick hello from me.

Wags a massive congrats on 6 years af, its a lovely feeling to realise and know you dont want to drink anymore. i told myself i drank heavily for ten years and if it took me ten years to heal then so be it. i pretty much feel i am there at 8 plus years but i have taken a lot of fixing to be the person i love again.

Lav, day 8, thats ridiculous, i hope you get some cool soon.

going into work tomorrow for a few hours, the PA asked if they were employing someone to do my job while i am away, nope and god forbid she has to do something. not my problem, i have everything organised so that my job will run smoothly without her intervention.

Slo, i think we must be accident twins with our injuries. i am trying to get this steroid injection but no apts for a couple of weeks, not sure i can do the pain for that long. sadly my work does not prioritise staff but it is what it is. i dont want to keep taking tramal either, our health system is pretty bad now. i hope you get those leaks fixed soon.

off to do some work, 3 more sleeps till i go on leave and i actually thought it was longer and now i am getting stressed. oh well.

take care xx
                      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Originally posted by wagmor View Post
                        Thanks everyone. I'm pretty happy to be sitting at 6 years plus a day now. It was super hard at the beginning and it took several false starts, falling off the wagon, wanting to give up and then deciding I was worth fighting for. Somewhere in year 2 or maybe 3, things shifted and it wasn't really a fight anymore. Now, for the most part, it just IS. Like not drinking has authentically become part of my identity, my self-image.

And I like that.
                        Yes, it does take awhile; but then it just isn’t a fight anymore, and not drinking becomes an authentic part of one’s identity, and it just is how it is. What she said!
                        Congratulations, Wags!

I’m still a bit lonely living alone, and trying to get used to that. But tomorrow I help with Huxley, the next day with my mother, and the next two I’ll finally get back up to daughter D1’s with the toddler grandchildren. So no loneliness then! Yesterday I spent some time with young daughter over at the old house, and we took a bike ride together. That was a nice reprieve!

I’m still faffing about with trying to “be a better me”, Wags. Still reading lots of self-help books, etc. Still haven’t really settled on a solid plan of action or a philosophy of living.

Well that’s sad that you have to wait that long to get an injection into that painful shoulder, Ava. I guess “the customer comes first” if you’re an employee of the hospital. (But you’re a customer too!)

Take care, all.
                        Last edited by Slo; July 26, 2022, 03:29 PM.
                        Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Greeting Nesters,

Despite no real rain the temp has cooled off only hit about 77 today, clouds but that’s OK. It will be warmer the next few days but not terrible like we just had.

Wags, like you I tried real hard to conjure up the person I wanted to be when I quit. I think I know who she is now - much calmer, nicer to myself & ‘un-pushable’ (if that makes sense). I vowed nothing & no one would ever make me want to drink again & I have kept that promise for 13 years 4 months so far. I am proud as we all should be

Ava, so sorry you have to wait for pain relief. I have a feeling no medical practice in the world is working they way they used to work pre-pandemic. Are yo able to see a physical therapist is the meantime? They may be able to help you out a little. Wishing you comfort :hug:

Slo, you’re doing great, don’t let those moments of feeling lonely get you down. I can be in a whole room full of people & still feel lonely if they’re not my people. I have to say I feel a lot more comfortable being alone with myself because I know I won’t do or say anything destructive to myself. When others are around, that’s not always the case, right? Learning how to be comfortable with yourself takes time 7 practice too. Enjoy all the busy time you have coming up this week.

LC, hope you’re OK & it’s cooler there as well.

Hyper, how’s the toe & the pup?

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Quick check in. It's too hot to think, let alone write. Hang in there everyone. Together, we've got this!
                            Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

hi Nesters!

already Wednesday.. thought i'd posted yesterday, but nope..
                              now it will have to wait till this evening.. girls will be here for dinner so that will be fun..
                              it's cool here this morning.. thank goodness.

have a nice day, everyone!

Comment

Evening nesters

well happy news that its a bit cooler, our weather is doing the "4 seasons in one day". i was so glad i went to work today, i told my registrars about my shoulder and they asked the rheumatology registrar if he would give me a steroid injection and he said yes so i was so happy. 4th covid vax, steroid injection, life is good and a big fat grateful day from me.

Slo, in time you wont be lonely. You have been with someone for years, you just dont get over that. I am with Lav, i have no problems being alone now, that took time but then again i did drink alone for a lot of years also.

trying to whiten my teeth atm and need to take the moulds out, then wait half an hour then have dinner and bed. 2 more sleeps till holidays woo hoo.

take care xx
                                AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Working...
                                X