Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

I am very sorry NS for the loss of you mom. What a wonderful testament that you were able to be there for her over the years. Take care of yourself!! Sending loving and healing prayers your way.

Comment

Thinking of you, NS, as you weather the pain of death & loss.

And Hyper, you really went through it recently with your mom too. That had to be a tough time.

I bought a pricey little bottle of CBD or CBG or something oil to rub into my knee. Sure hope it helps. I hate living with chronic pain. I’m excited that this might offer good relief!

Young daughter had her wisdom teeth removed yesterday, so I spent the day with her, and will go over there again today.

Yes, my brother did get another DUI. What’s pathetic is he got it a couple few miles away from work -right after leaving work for the day.

Belle, that accident you were almost in had to be so unnerving!! How very scary.
      Yes, get the wine out of the fridge.
      Remember H-A-L-T: Hungry-Angry-Lonely-Tired. Hungry is the easy one to fix: don’t wait until dinner to eat! Be proactive.

Ava, my heart breaks for you too, over your daughter. I like how you keep your boundaries though, and are firm in what you will tolerate in your own home.

I can’t wait until this full moon is over.! Been having a few rocky days of increased fatigue, pain, low mood, carb cravings etc. But only like 5 bad days this time, rather than two weeks of it; so, much improved anyways!

Wish you all well as we head towards the weekend.
      Last edited by Slo; August 11, 2022, 07:40 AM.
      Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Glad to report this never ending heatwave is finally over. 86 degrees was the high temp for today, such a relief.

NS, my thoughts are with you & Your family. Losing your mom is rough but knowing she went peacefully is a blessing. I was with my mom when she passed too, something yuojust can’t forget. Take good care of yourself & know we are here if yo need us :hug:

Wags, how’s your weather holding up on the left coast? I hope you have some cooler air now too.

Hyper, hello to you & hope you are well.

Slo, yes the CBD is pricey but the relief is priceless. I hope you get great results as well.
        Sorry about your brother, a second DUI is serious here in PA usually results in loss of license, etc. I actually slept last night & never heard the rain storm that arrived & dumped almost an inch & a half on us. The several nights before were pretty useless as far as sleep goes. I just wish the full moon stuff didn’t affect us so much.

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest. Pav, check in - please.

Lav
        Last edited by Lavande; August 11, 2022, 05:20 PM.
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Nesters

Happy to be checking in!

NS, very sorry to hear your sad news. As others have said, it’s good that you were able to be with - and present for - your Mom. Take care of yourself, sending you a hug :hug:

Ava, I hope your time away from work is the best it can be. I look forward so much to seeing you and Mr G in a couple of weeks. Kensho, Lav and everyone else in the Nest, we would love to have you all there too!

Slo, it’s great to read your updates on life in your new condo. Like you I can enjoy seeing others bonding over drinks, while accepting that it can’t be for me. Unless they’re totally drunk, I no longer feel distant from drinkers.

Wags, I know what you mean about going down rabbit holes when drinking. I can still do it now, surfing the Net, but at least now I remember where I’ve been!

It’s very good to hear that despite life’s challenges, folks are hanging in there and holding onto their sobriety. I think I value it even more during the hard times.

For those who are still in the early days, please don’t prolong your agony! Maybe you could have a goal to be in the 100 Day Club thread? I remember how proud I felt when I was first able to post there! Just a thought.

Committed to remaining
          Steady x
          AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Hi nester's,

So sorry to hear of your mom's passing NS. We are here of course to lean on if you need to.

Ava, good luck with your daughter. Hope things smooth out. Your shout? You're on.

Glad you're back on the horse Belle. There is no fail as long as we get back up. Hope you're feeling better real soon.

Waves to Steady and evabody.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Hi Nesters,
              It is great to wake up not only hangover-free but guilt-free. I'm looking at the drinking I did the other night as a "one off", because that is not where my head is right now.

NS, so sorry about your Mom's passing. I was a few years sober when both of my parents passed...and grateful for that. Unfortunately my mom who passed first did not go peacefully, but under cardiac arrest in a very odd situation in the hospital (long story). It was unexpected and shocking and I could not be there when she passed, but went to see her afterwards. My Dad did go peacefully and again, I was happy to be sober for that.

Lav, it seems to have cooled down in these parts also. Perhaps I can even go out walking during the day.

Slo, it is wonderful to watch you make a new life for yourself after what you went through with your husband. And still having kids that love you and want to be part of your life is a blessing. I could do without my husband, but never could live without my kids. We went through that wisdom teeth process 3 years ago with both kids. Even though daughter is nearly 3 years younger than son, they had their wisdom teeth removed 2 weeks apart. It was much smoother than I expected (at least for me), but I am glad that is behind us.

Daughter has now worked 2 shifts at the mental hospital. I just don't know how she does it seeing the things she does, and seems to be comfortable with it, if not enjoy it. Perhaps it is her calling, or at the very least she will find out it is not her calling. I was skeptical about her doing this at her age (19), but I guess it is best to find out early if this is for her. And as it is pediatrics, ages 5-12 I just cannot imagine what it takes for a child to have to be an inpatient at a mental hospital. Daughter has her own psych issues with anxiety and some depression so I guess she can empathize better with these kids, who actually have some very serious issues.

Lav...our fridge in the garage broke down. Hubs is searching Craigs's list for a replacement and a larger freezer. So for now, if I find wine lying around for more than 1 day I will have to have the fortitude to pour it down the sink because I know he will most likely just leave it in the fridge. Sometimes I wonder if he is testing me.

And if there are any doubts, getting sober after relapsing (after a long sober stint) is very, very difficult. So if you have a good solid quit, hold on to it like your life depends on it because it does. It has taken me 5 years to get to this point (after an almost 5 year sober period) and I am still struggling, but feeling better and stronger all the time. I thought if I could quit the first time, I could quit again. I'll beat this point to death, and hope it helps even one person...it is SO MUCH HARDER to get sober again.

Friday and no tickets to Boozeville in this house.
              BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Friday greetings Nesters,

Love seeing your commitment Belle. Our lives do depend on keeping our quits, no matter what :hug:
                Your daughter is smart to explore her options. Don’t underestimate her at 19. By that age I had gone thru my two year nursing program, graduated & got married!!!! I had a lot of spunk in those days, nothing wrong with that

G, hope your weekend is fabulous!

Steady, good to see you & I would be there for your meetup if I could

I am thoroughly enjoying this break in the weather. The high was only 82 degrees, felt like heaven after all that nasty heat.
                Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest & a wonderful weekend.

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Evening nesters

Lav, so glad to hear that you have a reprieve in the heat. It just drains you when it is constant.

Belle, good to see you. Tip that wine out, dont even leave it a day. Might make him look for a garage fridge quicker ha ha. I think i remember you have asked your hubs to remove it previously. his problem, not yours. Seeing others who have replapsed really sets it in stone for me that i cant have one drink ever. We never know what life circumstances throw at us to make us tempted to drink and all we can do is one day at a time. Good on you for coming straight back. Glad to hear your son is doing well and your daughter is enjoying her job, she seems like she can empathise with the patients which is just lovely.

Nice to see you checking in steady and cant wait to see you and G both. will be lots of words i am sure!

My shoulder seems to doing a lot better, i have a better range of movement and no deep ache anymore. today it was such a beautiful day i power washed the cement out the back and took the dogs for a walk, then the weather turned cold and crappy so i am happy i made the most of the day. I have my last physio apt next week then the physiotherapist wants me to do a pilates/physio program. 4 people per class and with him also which will be good. he said he will then focus on my knee, i am sure i will find something else broken after that for him to fix. i am very happy with this place though.

Daughter seems to have pulled her head in and become sensible again so that is good. Its much nicer at home.

One of my work friends is getting a pupply next weekend so i am going with her. It is her very first dog and she has not told her hubs or son who is 8. very excited for them. No news on my foster dog yet so maybe i missed out but thats ok, i am sure there will be more.

Thinking of you NS and LC hope you are having a lovely time away.

take care xx
                  AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Hi, all!

The heat wave is over here as well, that’s for sure. And I missed most of it when I was Up North.

The CBD oil stuff works great on my knee! It relieves the pain for about 12 hours.

Thank you for impressing upon us the absolute need to keep our quits going, Belle; as we can’t necessarily just “quit again”. As many of us, like Lav, say, “I don’t think I have another quit left in me”.

So nice to see you again, Steady!
                    Good news that the tide is turning on your shoulder, Ava.

My brother with the DUI has resigned from his job. I informed his in-laws about all this last evening, as they need to know for the sake of their grandchildren whom they have to take an active role in raising; since the time their daughter died, leaving my brother to raise the kids alone. It’s bad over there. Like you said about having to drive your drunk stepfather when you were a child, Ava; it turns out my one nephew has been expected to do a lot of the driving for the family, as a young teen (from ages 12-16). At least he actually will be eligible to get his driver’s license at the end of September.

Yes, where is Pav? And how was Italy?

My friend & her daughter are staying over tonight, and we are going to the state fair together today & tonight. I’m tired today, as I stayed up too late talking to brother’s in -laws after nephew’s football game. So, I think I’ll take my own car and just pay for the extra parking, in case I need to leave earlier if I get too tired. Self-care!
                    Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

It’s a lovely sunny 79 degrees at the moment, loving this weather change I really hope it lasts for a good long while.

Slo, that’s very sad about your brother. I hope his kids stay safe with their grandparent’s help/
                      Great to hear you are getting good results with the CBD. Couldn’t be simpler, right? That’s awesome!

Ava, I feel so much better just after two days of decent weather. It’s amazing the way the heat just sucks the life out of you, geez.
                      Glad your shoulder is improving & you have a good PT. They can really work wonders. Maybe a little CBD oil is in your future as well? Haha, can’t hurt to try.

I hope everyone else is OK & having a good weekend.
                      Wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Belle - what your daughter is doing sounds challenging and awesome. As you and others have said, she's got spunk to even tackle such work, and she'll probably learn a lot about what she does and does NOT want to do with her life. You are SOOOOOO right about how hard it is to get sober again after losing a long-time quit. Quits are worth their weight in platinum or whatever is the most valuable commodity these days, and anyone who has one should protect it with everything they've got.

Lav - hooray for your lovely weather! We had a similar respite and now are heading back up toward 100 degrees this coming week. Waaaaahhhh!!! I can't take more hot weather with hot flashes every day. I don't want to rush time along but I'm looking forward to the fall with milder temps.

Ava - glad your shoulder is feeling better and your daughter sounds back on track. How fun to help your friend with their first ever puppy next week!

Slo - the situation with your brother is very sad, and I can't imagine how difficult this is for everyone -- especially your nephew. I'm so sorry. I hope you enjoy the fair with your friend tomorrow. Sounds like a perfect summer activity.

Hellos and waves to Steady, G, and everyone else stopping by the nest this weekend. No tix to boozeville for anyone!
                        Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

hi Nesters!

i was super sad to have lugged my laptop to Poland in vain! i wasn't able to reach the website on my computer or phone and was worried that maybe it was gone! strange.. i tried a couple times each day but to no avail.. obviously you were all here as usual!

NS, i'm so sorry for your loss.. i know you were all "ready" but it's still so sad when someone so close to you passes.. i'm so glad you were able to be there with her and for her.. i think it's so important, if one is able, to be there, to be present when a loved one leaves this life .. youre in my thoughts and sending love..:hug:

Belle, yes sisters from another mother.. i'm glad you didn't let that get out of control, that you got yourself right back here.. like Ava said, i wouldn't even wait a day if alcohol is in your presence.. he should have respect for your sobriety and how difficult it can be (in a moment of HALT) when alcohol is around.. if you'd had to go out and buy it you probably wouldn't have.. dump it! he should get mini bottles or finish it off.. i think it's great that your daughter is looking into what interests her! she sounds really motivated, as does your son..:happy2: i hope at some point you can post some of his work.. my eldest is 20 going on 21 in December and she really wants to become a midwife.. here midwives are present in every pregnancy.. they accompany the women beginning in the 5th month or so and do the birthing classes, after care for 6 weeks and deliver most of the babies in the hospitals and at home, previding there aren't any problems.. it's a University program (up until last year it was a 3 year full time/non Uni program).. i'm happy for her and also happy when people decide to go into such careers.. we need them! atm she's pregnant herself so she'll get it all up front and personal before she begins her studies.. thank you for your message on how hard it is to quit again!!!
                          [MENTION=11645]Hypernova[/MENTION], how are you doing? are you still with us? most likely! but if not, get right back in there/here.. as long as we don't give up we're still in the game!!

Ava, i'm really relieved to hear that your daughter seems to have come around.. it's great that you can set boundaries for yourself.. no easy task when our kids are involved.. :love: super to hear that your shoulder is feeling better! i had to think of you and G and Steady today.. i was at a very nice exhibition, "Songlines".. (Songlines | Exhibition at Humboldt Forum) beautiful artwork and super interesting stories.. i sure would love to make it to Australia at some point..

Slo, so sad about your brother.. did he give his resignation because of the DUI.. i guess i don't remember the details of his wife dying.. but it sounds like a tragedy with the kids.. thank goodness they have their grandparents and other family.. do you think it's possible for him to get help? has he tried? otherwise, you sound well and i'm glad youre finding your way in your new space.. you've now really convinced me to give the oil a go!!

Lav, my trip to Poland was planned for awhile.. (do you know which part your family is from?).. we were in Wroclaw (Breslau when it was German territory) which is such a nice small city!! my youngest daughter (17.5) plays ultimate frisbee and was chosen for the national U20 team to play at the "world championship" which was held there out at the olympic stadium.. it was a blast!! mostly European teams, but the US came (and kicked ass!) along with Canada, Columbia, New Zealand, Great Britain, Israel.. it went for 10 days and i caught the last 3.. also had a chance to check out the city.. i really like Poland.. i've been there a couple of times and they're such nice, down to earth, normal people.. didn't see any super cool hipsters, which is a relief coming from Berlin!

big hi to Wags! i'm glad you and Lav got a bit of a break in the weather.. i'm sitting here in a wet dress in front of a fan at 8:30 pm, waiting till i can open the windows again!!

hope i didn't miss anyone.. i've been thinking of you all..xxx
                          Last edited by lifechange; August 14, 2022, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Hey all!! Thanks LC for thinking of me!! Yes I am still here. Just haven’t been very active here lately. Guess this broken toe has me depressed cause I can’t do my usual ‘stuff’. I know my self and will get back into the swing of things in time. Pup is doing great which pleases me so much!! He has been an Angel through all of this. I remembered his vet saying ‘you don’t want to put him through this’. He has proved to me what resilience looks like and that things will be/get better if we are patient and do the right thing. Anyway will read and catch up on everyone and how all is going in the nest. So happy to have a place to go that has positive vibes. Thanks….. hyper

Comment

Just saw you posted with 50 days in the super shout out, [MENTION=11645]Hypernova[/MENTION]!! Awesome!!!:applouse:

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Still enjoying the new & improved weather here, grateful after all that nasty heat.

Wags, i hear you on the hot weather/hot flash thing, ugh. It’s double suffering as far as I’m concerned. Makes you wonder what you did to deserve to deserve double punishment, Lol
                                I know the heat will return, it always does here. September can be pretty darn warm here too. Hang in there!

LC, good to see you back & glad to hear you enjoyed your trip!
                                I always wanted to travel to Poland but I doubt I’ll get there now, getting old here, haha. I should remember where my grandfather was born but always have to look it up (getting old sucks).
                                Your daughters both sound like they are doing well & have big plans for the future, awesome

Hyper, good to see you & Congrats on your 50 AF days!!! Sticking with the program will get yuo to where you want to be
                                Glad your pup is doing well too, they are the best friends.

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X