Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Greetings Nesters,

Looking forward to the arrival of the fall season soon. I have had my fill of hot weather, that’s for sure.
    The weather is looking good for my Saturday craft fair so I’m happy

Wags, your neighborhood gathering sound like it was fun. I typically like to hang out with the kids - the non-drinkers at events like that, Lol
    Did you hear the latest on soda drinkers? Having two or more/day increases the likelihood you will develop cancer - geez. I gave up soda > 20 yrs ago so when I go out anywhere it has to be tea (unsweetened) or water. We don’t seem to have a lot of choices these days.

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!
    Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi, All:

Lav, I hope that means sugar sodas? I am a fanatic of the bubbly waters of all varieties. I should probably just cut back on that anyway as I've heard it isn't great for your teeth.

Mr. G - adventures in Italy were great. I think I talked about it here, but it was all the things - great food, amazing people, beautiful sites. Also, 104 degrees F (40C), and covered in people on summer holiday. One of the things I'm most looking forward to in retirement is the ability to travel in off seasons!

Wags, sounds like a fun party - I feel like there is a return to more booze-focused parties in my life. I'll have to evaluate that!

Lav, I feel you! I just have one who is struggling to launch, so the detachment has been a bit harder. I know he'll be fine, but it has been anything but smooth.

I had a ROUGH day at work yesterday. I took a short walk after work and participated in a parent group that we're in and tried to let it go, but I still had trouble sleeping as there were some unresolved things. I will get to them today and hope to sleep better tomorrow!

Happy SOBER Hump Day,
      Pav

Comment

Hi again Nesters,

Pav, that news story I heard about sodas - I think they were talking sugary & artificially sweetened sodas but not sure. I’ll have to look & see if I can find it online somewhere.
        One of the reasons I quit all sodas was because they said the bubbly stuff is bad for your bones…..I already have bad bones, don’t want to make them any worse
        My daughter was in & out several times before she got married & stayed out. She had a series of completely unsuitable roommates in a few apartments after college. I’m sure your young one will launch when the time is right. I hope your work day was much better today.

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Very interesting about the study linking soda consumption with cancer. My young sister-in-law died of cancer when she was 39, after a six-year battle. I always privately wondered if her soda consumption contributed to her developing cancer. She drank 3-4 cans of Diet Coke per day. What worried me about it was that she didn’t like water, and drank Diet Coke INSTEAD of water -not in addition to it. So there was nothing coming in to help flush that Diet Coke out. I tried broaching it with her once, a few years before she got breast cancer, that I thought she should be drinking water; but she was kind of offended that I was getting into her business.
          When my other sister-in-law (HB’s sister) was developing dementia, I brought it up with her too; that it would be a good idea for her to drink water, and not just regular Coke for hydration. She was offended too. Oh well. People are going to do what they do. But I’m glad the message is finally getting out that drinking a lot of soda can be detrimental to one’s health.

Pav, that is so hard to handle the effects of a stressful job. I hope the situation resolves as well as it can today.

I’ve been feeling flat & sad lately. I’m traveling later this morning to go visit a wonderful friend for a couple days. And she’s not a drinker! Hopefully my mood will pick up,
          Last edited by Slo; September 22, 2022, 08:24 AM.
          Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Good morning (or evening) nesters,
            Just a quick check in before heading to the office. The trip to the beach was great, but short and of course action-packed with a toddler. I discovered I can still swim in the ocean, and still love it. It was a good warm up before I go to Myrtle beach in Oct.

Hi to everyone. will read back later. Definitely still sober and happy about it. I have so much more confidence! And where are you LC?
            BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Greetings Nesters & Happy Fall

This has always been my happy time of year I cannot lie. Eventually I will get bored when everything turns brown outside but I just appreciate the lack of extreme heat.
              I think I’m set for Saturday, anything last minute I will take care of tomorrow.

Slo, personally I think soda has changed so much over the years with the addition of who knows how many chemicals. We’re expecting our bodies to handle all the sugar & chemicals but maybe it’s just too much.
              Since we moved here 19 years ago I’ve appreciated our well water, no fluoride or chemical taste. But I found out a few years ago that I am allergic to chromium which occurs naturally in our water. Leave it to me to develop an allergy to something natural. We are double filtering our well water now & I haven’t had any more reactions. I even found chromium in my multivitamin, geez. I am a serial label reader these days.
              I hope you enjoy your visit with your friend & come home feeling recharged.

Belle, nice you enjoyed your beach weekend. Did you notice any extra swells or currents from the hurricane near Bermuda?
              Staying AF has been a very good decision for all of us

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

So many great posts I want to respond to but I'll have to catch up tomorrow. Glad to see so many people doing well, even with the challenges of life.

Happy Sober Autumn to everyone! Or Spring if you're in the southern hemisphere
                Last edited by wagmor; September 22, 2022, 11:38 PM.
                Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Friday evening greetings to all Nesters

Lovely weather here for the first full day of Fall.
                  My craft event is tomorrow so I need to go finish packing everything up. Hope to check in tomorrow evening.

Wags, hope you have a good weekend!

Wishing everyone a safe night. In the nest!

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

morning nesters

Been MIA and so busy. It is like having 4 small children again with 4 dogs. The girls have really come out of their shell now and its so lovely to see. Bindi (blind one) has diabetes so i have had a quick learn to give injections twice daily, hopefully this stops the drinking and eating so much. she is eating me out of house and home for such a tiny one. The rescue group are going to advertise for permanent foster carers for them shortly, they have a lot of medical surgeries that they will need in coming months. It will be a sad day when i say goodbye but i know i have given them the best start in their new lives. Bob and Carl are pretty accepting of them, Carly has two subluxating patellas and an ear infection, he is falling to pieces at nearly fall lol. we havent been able to walk but he has had a course of 4 injections so can start back again soon.

Lav, i love this time of year here, its staying lighter longer, warming up and just feels fresh. Lovely to have the house open and the washing on the line. The two chooks are still mean to the other chook, not sure what to do there, wish i had some Amish near me ha ha. i have been keeping them in separate cages through the day now so the dogs can go outside when they want, they are not happy but too bad, they want to come inside all the time if i leave the doors open.

Wags, glad to see your dad has stabilised for awhile. I am not jumping at the bit to get older i must say, things are falling apart now.

Slo, i am so sorry to hear about the dog biting you, did you find out who's dog it was. i hope you are feeling better now. When is the new bub due? I think my daughter is trying a bit harder for a baby, she bought ovulation strips the other day. My niece and her hubs are doing ok, i think they are going to try for another baby next year. All my fingers and toes are crossed for my daughter and niece.

Well the PA at work had another meltdown, sent me a tonne of whats app messages telling me she is the only one that works blah blah, i was furious yet again. went straight to my bosses and read the messages to them. I seriously dont need anymore work and she is having next week off. I did think she would have time off straight after i came back from leave but she did wait two weeks. her boss said he recognises she has a mental health issue and i said so do i. I suffer from really bad anxiety when i am stressed so do something about her. It is so hard to terminate someone in a government job but this has been going on for a year now. I did say i would try and stop filing my nails and painting my toes all day and try and do some work from now on, sigh!. I was going to call this PA but at the end of the day, i dont care, i would tell her what i thought and would be expelling much needed oxygen on her that i could use elsewhere. My nurse who's just lovely may be having time off as her mum has cancer and it has advanced, but thats ok, we work really well together and she needs to be with her mum.

Pups having a nap so coffee time for me (sorry NS), i dont think i could do without a cup a day. I used to have two but now only seem to want one. God i remember the days when i would drink 7-8 just to get through the day.

A picture of Gucci and Carl for you today. I must mention how hard it is to take a photo of a blind dog who doesnt stay still and funs into things lol.

PXL_20220923_080719719.jpgcarl 22 sept 22.jpg
                    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Ava - sounds like you're doing a great job with the puppers, and you're learning some new things too! They definitely will be in better shape after their time with you.

Lav - I hope the craft fair goes/went amazingly well!

Pav - if your social events are starting to lean more toward booze-oriented events, that's definitely something to look at. How are you feeling after your very hard day the other day?

Hellos and waves everyone. Hooray for another weekend!
                      Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hey Nesters,

I am completely exhausted after a very busy craft fair. I did quite well & also brought in another $100 that will go to Ukrainian Relief effort. I’m glad to see people responding to my effort to help those poor souls. The weather was perfect except for a few gusts of wind that seemingly came out of no where. I have nothing breakable on my tables but others there did. There was live music all day & lots of good food vendors too - something for everyone

Ava, learning diabetic care is a good thing. You never know when skills like that could come in handy. Glad to hear the pups are doing well. The chickens will eventually sort themselves out. Sometimes it takes longer than you think it should. Sounds like your office is dealing with a difficult personality. As long as the docs & management are aware of her attitudes I would just ignore her at all costs. You need to save your sanity for yourself. I hope there’s some new baby news in your family soon, that would be awesome.

Wags, the man in the space next to us at the craft fair today was a retired biology professor. We had some pretty interesting conversation , Lol
                        Hope your weekend is going well.

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!.

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hello nesters,
                          Just checking in on a hangover free Sunday morning.

I got the new covid booster yesterday and feel like dog poo that has been stepped in. (sorry for the gross analogy). Planning to spend the day in bed, but had to get up for a bit because even the bed hurt.

I know this will only last a day or two, but better than a week + if I had covid. Leaving next Sunday for Myrtle beach with my bestie and hope I can avoid hurricanes, especially when flying!

Must go back to bed. Sending good sober vibes to all.
                          BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Belle, sorry to hear you’re not feeling well. I just went today & got the updated Covid vaccine & a flu vaccine. Chance are I may be feeling a bit rough myself tomorrow. I’d rather deal with a few side effects than get sick with these viruses.
                            Winding down today after yesterday’s busy day. Tomorrow I have to get to work on a few special orders I got at the craft fair.
                            We had a little rain which we needed but nothing big like these hurricanes I’ve been watching on the weather app.

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Lav - congrats on such a successful craft fair, both for you and for your efforts to help Ukraine Relief. Thank you again for doing that by the way! Hope you don't feel too rough after both vaccines. I agree though - it's better to feel a bit off for 24 hours than to actually deal with these viruses.

Belle - hope you rebound from your vax soon. And have a fab safe trip to Myrtle Beach!

Hellos and waves everyone. Here we go with a sober new week! Or a new sober week! Sounds good either way
                              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

How are you feeling today, Lav, after those vaccines?
                                It sounds like a really well-run craft fair, and pretty fun, and I’m glad it went well for you!

Ava, yes, document what that PA is up to. Keep screen shots of the goofy texts she sent you.
                                Such cute pics of the dogs!

Belle, yeah no reading on the beach with a toddler in tow! Hope you’re over the sickness from the shots.

Wags, isn’t that nice when a neighborhood party isn’t focused on booze? Yes, people are drinking some -but it’s not the focus!

It was such fun visiting my old friend. She is blessed with the gift of gab, from her Irish roots. Such a kind person. And she doesn’t drink! Grew up in a non-drinking home, and just never picked up the habit! Said her husband died (in his seventies) without ever having had a beer!
                                It was well worth the long drive -and a much longer drive on the way home in the pouring rain.

Happy Monday! (There’s an oxymoron!)
                                Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Working...
                                X