• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Check in time -

Hello Nesters, hope everyone is OK.

Wags, it appears were keeping the lights on in the nest again

Have a safe night in the nest one & all!
    Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Yep Lav -- looks like just you and me

Another AF Saturday night... checking in, tidying up the twigs, and turning the lights down in the nest for tonight. Hope everyone is doing well. Catch you all next time!
      Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi Nesters,
        Pretty quiet in here. Just checking in to see how all are doing. Hi Lav and Wags!

I'm off to Michaels (craft shop for all that are unfamiliar) to have the family portrait framed that son created and gave us for Christmas last year. It is too nice for an amateur job, so I'm letting the professionals handle it. It is really quite nice. He found photos of all of us, arranged them in a group in PhotoShop and make it look like a painting rather than a photo. He even included the dogs, and when I say "dogs" he included the pug that passed away almost 3 years ago...always a member of the family. Son is so creative, obviously did not get my genes.

Hope all are well, I'll read back a bit before heading out. Have a great sober Sunday all.
        BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Hi Nest! It's a beautiful Autumn Sunday here in Colorado. I'm quite tired - stayed up late going to a concert last night, and got up early to take my son to work. But just got a pot roast in the slow cooker and I'll make it through the day. I used red wine for the roast. I actually thought, "this smells soooo good"... but in an ingredient way, not in a "I want to drink this" way. I love that. I am able now to handle alcohol without feeling fear that I will drink it. Though, I need to really keep up my continued support system and tools to ensure I stay strong. Things can always change in a life, and I am not interested in going backwards.

Last night we had dinner with friends, and the topic of drugs and alcohol came up regarding how to approach with teenage kids. I said that I think my kids have the added benefit of seeing my path. My daughter has said that she remembers me swinging off bottles in my office closet. My husband said, "you kept bottles in your office closet?!" I have told him this more times than I can count, but he has obviously been in denial. I said, "I had bottles hidden everywhere". They all were a little shocked. I like being honest about how it was a problem, and I shifted and now it is not a problem. They also talked about how hallucinogenics can help people lose the ego and get in touch with self and higher power. I chimed in that, though that may be true, there are ways to do that WITHOUT the drugs. You don't need something to help you go within, you just need to get quiet and go within. We all need that a little more. If all humans listened more to their hearts than their heads and egos, we would be in a much better place. I have hope that that can happen.

Lav... a frame takes art to the next level. Have fun! Glad the kitty is hanging in there.

Hi Wags and Belle.

Quiet here. Hope everyone is ok.
          Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good Sunday evening Nesters,

Definitely feels like Fall around here, good to have a nest to jump into
            All is well with me, nice to see some others popping in for a visit.

Wags, I think we need to elevate you to assistant nest keeper since Byrdie is not around much. Thanks for your daily vsiits.

Belle, that sounds like such a special & creative gift. I’d have it framed as well.

Kensho, you have to sometimes wonder if husbands ever actually hear anything you say haha! Clueless? Yep, sometimes.
            The kitten is 3 weeks old today weighing in at 15 1/8 oz, growing nicely.

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Morning nesters

Lav, i am over the crappy weather here atm, one minute it is sunny, the next raining. i did manage to get the clothes dry yesterday and dog beds washed. Im a bit over mopping wee's though, floor never been so clean. Lav, my sons friend is sober, he is in remand so the best place for him to be, i do hope they can offer some support and initiate rehab or something but as we know resources are scarce. The kitten is gorgeous, are you going to keep it or rehome?

the PA has gone and her last email still complained about work, she didnt get some work done that needs to be done so will do that at some stage today but i am having a day off so overtime it is. Tuesday is the Melbourne cup so we get a public holiday for a horse race. Love the day off, wont be watching the race.

I have Bob over visiting, what was supposed to be overnight is now up to day 3. i suppose this is what human grandchildren are like ha ha.

Belle that picture sounds gorgeous, i wish i was that talented also. my kids bring up my drinking when i hassle them about something, well you drank for all those years. Yep thanks for the reminder. i want to face plant them on occasion, then they say how proud of me they are. Go figure.

Kensho, good on you for being honest about your drinking. i always state i was a two bottle of wine drinker in days ending with a Y.

I have finally started on the garage so will do some more today, slow and steady. My daughter is still in the process of moving out. i am wondering when she will actually take all of her crap and the feeling is she will leave half of it for me to clean up. i bought some rugs yesterday for the spare room that i will finally have. i feel like i have a house that is mine after 35 years.

i watched Dopesick the other week and what a sad show about addiction and how the pharma company just didnt give a crap or the FDA for that matter.

time for a cuppa xx
              AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Lav - aw shucks, thanks for the promotion!

Kensho - hopefully your kids learned a lot from your honesty about your own struggles and problems with al. The fact that they witnessed and remember it will make that all the more powerful. Sounds like hubs is in a bit of denial. I've noticed that some people are quick to minimize things when folks are honest about having al problems. Maybe it hits too close to home?

Belle - that portrait your son created sounds wonderful! What a great idea!

Ava - Dopesick was brutally honest. Stupid Sackler family so greedy they were willing to harm people just to increase wealth and power. I hate it.

Happy new weeks everyone. Embrace your quits!
                Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Good morning to the Nest on Halloween,

I admire how honest you are, Kensho and Ava, feeling free to be about your alcohol addiction. And with humor, Ava! Yep, we all kept our secret stashes. Well, one way to break the stigma around it is for those of us who got addicted to be honest & unashamed.

Ava, my daughters never got their crap out of the house. And would feel put upon if I suggested that they take maybe a box of their crap along when they left after a visit, and would look to their dad for sympathy. And ex-HB never helped with clutter control or clutter removal. So I vacated the family home, and now all of their crap and his is all his to deal with, and I got free of it!

Best wishes to Wags, Belle, Kensho, Pav, Lav, Ava, & G, and all in the Nest!
                  Last edited by Slo; October 31, 2022, 07:21 AM.
                  Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Happy Halloween, Nest and a happy birthday to Byrdie! My daughter was born shortly after Halloween so she had several re-wear your costume birthday parties. Made for an easy theme!

We'll be trick or treating w/ 2 grandsons tonight from 6-8. So glad I'm not figuring out a way to avoid going so I could sit home and drink. What a way to waste a life.

Kensho, your honesty, like Ava's, is such a gift to your children. It might help them avoid the problem but even if not, they'll know they can talk to you.

Slo, I hope you are healing. Immobility is so frustrating and I know you have a lot going on in your life that you want to be part of.

I finally got my kids to take their remaining detritus out of the house by putting it in nice Rubbermaid boxes and telling them they could have those. That wouldn't have worked when they first moved out but people w/ families in their 30s can always use some high quality storage boxes!

Comment

Happy Halloween Nesters,

Pouring rain here this evening, feel bad for the kids & parents out trick or treating.
                      Baby Daisy is doing just fine, still sharing custody with her mama cat, Lol

Ava, the current plan is to keep Daisy provided the cat & dog already living here are OK with her. I will find another home for her if it becomes necessary.
                      Sounds like the PA was true to form until her very last minute, haha. You’ll soon forget about her & feel better with normal coworkers. My kids still have a bit of stuff packed away in our basement but it’s out of the way & I don’t have to look at any of it, haha!

Wags, we’ll have to make a list of nest duties & split it - OK?

Slo, be happy you don’t have to deal with all the kid’s leftover stuff. Sounds like you really made a great move. Hope your knee is improving. What’s the word on the newest grand baby?

NS, I hope yuo have a great time with your grandsons tonight. Fun stuff

Byrdie, Happy Birthday to you with much love!

Have a safe night in the nest everyone!
                      Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Thank you so much for the birthday witches. It was a very good day. Mr Byrdie took me to a new Thai place that was outstanding, he waited in the car while I went in Walmart for pink thread, and then came home and made a fun table runner. I bought a very basic sewing machine about a month ago and have been trying to teach myself to sew. I tell you, this whole inside out thing is mind boggling. I’m checking out YouTubes and Lav and NS have been awesome resources, too. It’s not as easy as it looks on tv.
                        All is going well here, no issues or urges so what a blessing that is! Who’d a ever thought I could go a day without thinking about booze!

Hugs to my dear nester friends. :love:
                        9FD5D60F-D376-4E48-9198-41566DDD831B.jpg
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

BYRDIE!!! Happy Byrd-day So good to see you, and glad you had such a nice day. Sewing is challenging isn't it? I used to know more (as a kid actually) but would have to start from scratch if I wanted to do anything now. Hope to see you back here in the nest soon friend -- we've definitely missed your presence.

Lav - pouring rain here too so very few trick or treaters out. I hope all works out for you to keep the little kitty!

NS - very clever way to get your kids to take their stuff Hope all is well with you.

Hellos and waves to Slo, Ava, Kensho, Steady, Belle, and everyone else hanging out in the nest. Catch you all tomorrow!
                          Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

We’ve had a nice sunny & warmer day here, a November gift I suppose. It’s nice to be able to run outside for a minute without grabbing a jacket

Byrdie, beautiful job on the table runner. I knew you would catch on pretty quickly. Have fun with your machine, that’s what it’s all about.

Wags, I saw a picture of my granddaughter’s Halloween haul - she did very well despite the rainy conditions, Lol

Hello to all & wishing a safe night in the nest for everyone!
                            Lav
                            Last edited by Lavande; November 1, 2022, 05:50 PM.
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Happy sober November everyone!
                              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hello, Nest!

And Byrdie flew back into the Nest, with her wonderful sense of humor! Happy birthday! My new grandson was born at about 7:00pm on October 30th! So he doesn’t have to be a Halloween baby. Without the Pitocin drug pushing along the labor process, he very well could have been born on the 31st!
                                Mother (D3) and baby are doing well. My grandma’s birthday was on Halloween. She’d be like 116 now…which means I’m getting old! I’m the grandma now.

NS, how fun that you joined the grandkids in trick or treating.

My said grandma used to sew…sewed her own clothes, made us quilts…I kind of wish she’d have shown me how to sew. I never saw her do it, and it seemed like such a foreign skill, so removed from my childhood life; that I never thought to ask her!

But I hope you have fun with sewing, Byrdie; with Lav & NS to guide you.
                                Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Working...
                                X