Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Greetings Nesters,

Had a nice visit with family & our granddaughter decorated our tree for us too .
    Cooler today & sunny but tomorrow rain arrives.

Wags, I haven’t had a chance to sit down & watch a movie. When I do I’ll let you know what’s good, haha!
    It’s nice the grandkids are old enough to help out with a few things because I am definitely not as energetic as I used to be, oh well.

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!
    Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Looks like it's the Wags and Lav show in the nest again this weekend. Hope everyone is out having AF fun!

Lav - glad you had such a nice visit. How old is your granddaughter? I'm sure it's super fun watching all of them grow up, and even better having them help! I hear you about not having time to watch a movie -- we actually didn't end up doing that today cuz there just wasn't time. I often think it sounds like a fun way to spend a few hours but when it comes time to actually do it, I almost always prefer to do something else instead.

In Wagland, I've recommitted myself to my language studies. I'm at about an intermediate level in Spanish and my goal is to reach a level of total proficiency. As a side bit of fun, I'm dabbling in Japanese and also refreshing my high school French. I wish I had taken my language studies more seriously as a young person but it is what it is. I'm still making good progress and having a lot of fun improving. Can't wait to travel again and put these skills to use!

Happy Sundays everyone. Hope you all are safe and well.
      Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Another episode of the Wags & Lav show, Lol

Wags, my granddaughter is 11, turning 12 soon in February & a very resourceful young woman. She loves little kids, all pets (even my chickens) & is always eager to lend a hand
        I have to admit I really don’t care to sit for a few hours in front of the TV watching movies anymore. I have a hard time sitting still & paying attention that long….adult onset ADD!1!
        I studied German for 3 years in high school, would have taken the 4th year but the teacher asked me not to because didn’t want to do that class anymore, haha. I actually remembered a good bit when I went to Germany 25 years later, go figure!

Hello to all the Nesters & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!
        Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Lav - your granddaughter is at a great age! I'm sure you enjoy having time with her. I took one quarter of German my freshman year of college. Obviously didn't learn a lot, but when my wife and I went to Italy we flew into Switzerland and took a scenic train down over the alps into Italy. I actually had to use my German to assert that we were in the correct seat number when a Swiss man tried to tell us we were wrong. Total luck that I still knew how to say "drei und zvanzig" cuz I can't say a whole lot else!

And on that note, gute nacht everyone in the nest! Hope you have fantastic weeks ahead.
          Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi Nest.

Lav and Wags... I need you this summer in Germany and Italy. I only know Spanish!! Love that you are learning Wags!

5 years ago today, I made the final decision to quit drinking. After trying and trying and trying and trying to moderate - in all ways possible (only drinks on weekends, only 1 drink 3 nights per week, 6 total drinks in a week)... I realized that any way I approached it, I would ALWAYS want more. I finally GOT IT, that the desire and craving would never change, and I decided not to struggle any more - I chose me and my family. It was a bumpy ride, starting with implementing every tool I could find just to get through the first few months, followed by a bunch of personal work that ultimately changed my life. When I quit drinking, I said yes to better relationships, better communication, more life-balance, and personal growth that has led to a successful career, and a highly spiritual path filled with purpose, peace and meaning. I find joy in small moments, health, nature, and have so much gratitude for the people in my life that I would never have experienced if I was still drinking.

I have all of you to thank, for listening and putting up a mirror up to my actions and words. Your support has made it possible for me to transcend addiction. I owe you so much! Thank you from the bottom of my heart! :heartbeat:

I also have to thank myself - for choosing a better life. We all have choices - every single day, that can alter the course of our lives. We can choose to stay stuck and numbed, or face our issues and move through them. It is hard, but it is possible and what's on the other side of getting sober is worth every struggle I faced when I quit. WE ARE WORTH IT, and all we have to do is choose ourselves, and get support to take the journey.

Feeling grateful today.
            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hola evabody from downunder,

Congratulations friend Kensho on 5 years booze free. Wowza! You have taken back your precious life. I love that you didn't forget to thank yourself either. It's so important to have ourselves on our team! e.g. Stopping, changing any negative self talk and thoughts. 'I can't'.....nooooo, i ask myself - 'How can i?'.

Lookout France, Japan and the Spanish speaking world....Wags is coming!

How are you Steady? I know sometimes there can be some post travel blues after such amazing travel experiences.

Big waves to all. Surf's up diggity's.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Morning nesters

Thank you all for the lovely congratulations. Next year i want cake ha ha. Wags, Pav celebrates with me on 9 wonderful years.

Kensho congrats on 5 years. I hope you have a lovely day.

Belle, what a beautiful design and i love the colour, i am still trying to find a dress in that colour but dont think i could wear your sons design to work! he is a very talented soul. Its hard seeing people drink over the "silly" season so a few firsts for you, but you will do it. there is no joy for us in drinking except a lot of the GSR's and who needs that when life is only getting better for you. Congrats on your new role. I think now there is no way i would be where i am at work today if i was drinking. So much to be grateful for.

Wags, glad your teeth are healing, it took me over a year to get all of my dental work done and i am so pleased i did, like drinking, its a distant memory on how bad my teeth were and what i went through. now its just a check up and a clean every 6 months. How is your puppy going?

Oh NS i so want to retire, i am sure you will have lots to do when you finish work.

Slo, my mother has turned nice also and i think i am turning crankier with less tolerance but i am tired from work. How are your knees going now?

Daughter all recovered from drink spiking but now has covid. 3 years without it, it is pretty rampant in Australia atm. She is staying with me as she is really unwell but luckily the GP gave a script for the anti viral meds (i hope she shares). I am keeping everything crossed that i dont get it, especially after seeing how sick she is. I cannot go into work so am missing the xmas celebrations, the hospital is still very strict with regards to covid which is understandable.

Lav, i had a chuckle, Davey it is, he is a beautiful looking kitten so easy to make the mistake of a girl. Your granddaughter is at a lovely age, i think i liked my girls better than my boys lol, even though i love them all the same, the girls are more "there" for me than my boys.

G, you are sounding good, i agree even if we are turning around in circles, we are still going forward, i like that.

Work is just mad, wards closing down for covid patients, doctors dropping like flies, people not worrying about covid now, everyone is back to their selfish selves i think. The PA finally starts back today, her nan died which is sad and then she went away with her mum which was pre booked. I am looking forward to doing an 8 hour day instead of a 10 hour day. Friday i go on leave for 3 weeks and cannot wait for that one.

Steady, glad you are home safe and have had a re-set. I hope Mr unsteady was happy to see you.

anyways i am supposed to be working so best get back to it, take care and be safe xx
                AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Congratulations on 5 years, Kensho! That is a big milestone in our world! It’s supposed to mean a greatly reduced chance of relapsing and going back to that old lifestyle. Thank you for reflecting and writing out your thoughts. I take it to heart, and it is very encouraging that this is worth it.

[MENTION=21602]abcowboy[/MENTION], Ava wants a cake for her sober-versary!

You’re back to working from home, Ava? That sounds pretty good. The promise of the new PA sure hasn’t panned out for you in terms of reducing your workload yet, but three weeks off is right around the corner!!

I’m two+ months out from fracturing my leg by the knee, so the worst is over. Knee replacement knee is still chronically painful. I’m in physio for both knees, and trying acupuncture too. Now I can ride my stationary bike for 10 minutes a day, and take a walk with my walker outside for 10 minutes a day.

I studied French in high school too, Wags. Good luck on the Spanish!
                  Last edited by Slo; December 12, 2022, 06:21 PM.
                  Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Monday evening greetings,

Getting colder in this neck of the woods winter will be here soon enough
                    I still have one regular embroidery customer needing some things done for Christmas but other than that I’m on ‘break’ until I get back in the mood next year haha! I am on a mission this week to make & freeze about 100 pierogi because everyone expects to have them here during the holidays. It’s a big project but I’m ready

Kensho, a big CONGRATS to you on your 5 years AF :welldone:
                    I love that you’re feeling the effects in every aspect of your life. Treating ourselves well after ?? Years of beating ourselves up is just so darn wonderful. Keep up the good work & keep reaping the benefits.

Wags, isn’t it funny how we actually remember things we learned so long ago but never used? I think the locals appreciate it when we attempt to speak their language & will usually switch to English to make it easier for both of us, LOL. Remember “Guten tag, wie gehts?” First year German class was a blast, haha!!

G, I also forced myself to give up the negative thinking & it worked wonders!!

Ava, sorry t o hear your daughter is sick with covid. I hope she recovers quickly & you stay healthy.
                    I still can’t believe I ended up with a boy cat, haha. After all, I did study anatomy & physiology for a full year in college haha!!! Now I know they hide their stuff inside haha!!

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Kensho - Huge Congratulations on your 5 YEARS of living your best life AF!!! When you go to Italy, your Spanish will probably help a bit as many words are somewhat similar. Italian is kindof a blend of Spanish and French. And then northern Italy a lot of people speak German -- it actually feels more similar to Switzerland than to southern Italy. I found my Spanish skills to be at least somewhat helpful, especially for reading. Of course there are fantastic apps and such these days that will also translate on the spot. And many Italians speak English although they're not always comfortable or willing.

Great to see so many people checking in! I couldn't get onto the site last night for some reason and am off now to a crazy busy day but will check in again tonight.
                      Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Spent my day in the kitchen making pierogi. I made 60 today & will do more tomorrow, the holidays are coming
                        It’s so much easier to make things like this when you have the time & a clear head, haha!!

Wags, hope your busy day went well for you.

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Originally posted by Lavande View Post

G, I also forced myself to give up the negative thinking & it worked wonders!!
                          Hola! Is this the Lav n Wags n Slo n Kensho n Ava show? Am i in the right joint?

Yep Wags, site was offline for awhile.

Lav, i like what you wrote above re - forcing myself to give up negative thinking. I agree. I think it takes some self checking, self awareness and a conscious choice to leave negative thinking alone and choose a 'what could go well for me today, this year?' approach, rather than looking for - 'what could go wrong?' One of the fundamentals of keeping sane and hopeful/optimistic i find. Don't forget - What i look for i'll find. Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right!

Hope all are having a good week.
                          Last edited by Guitarista; December 13, 2022, 09:25 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

G - yep, this is the right joint! And glad the show has expanded again To piggyback onto one of your last comments, I once went to a conference where the keynote speaker's main message was, "You get more of what you look for" and it really is true. When you look for things that are frustrating or irritating, or you look for what could go wrong, that's what you tend to see. Looking for the positive, the good, helps you see more of it all around you. And hopefully helps bring it *to* you as well.

Lav - sounds like a busy day in the kitchen! My busy day went well too but I'm super glad it's over.

Gonna tuck in early tonight so saying goodnight for now. Have good nights and days everyone!
                            Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi.
                              --

Dragster

"Never laugh at live dragons."
                              ― J. R. R. Tolkien

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Really feeling like winter here with below freezing temps. Grateful for a warm house

Hello & welcome DragonbytheSea! Glad you found us & decided to join in. The Nest is a welcoming place so settle in & get comfortable. Let us know a little about yuorself & what we can do to help yuo meet your goals. Checking in daily (or as often as needed) is highly recommended

Wags, had another busy day in the kitchen but I think I’m done for a while, haha! Hope your day was good.

G, getting & staying positive is what helped me reach my goals. Not going to change a thing now after all this time.

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X