X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Happy new year evabody!

Kensho, maybe it's time to bill your family for your time! :happy2:

As they say in AA and NA -'Try 5 meetings before you decide it's not for you'. 'Take what you need and leave the rest'. AA sure isn't for everyone. there are a lot of personalities, some a little fanatical, but you will also find some real gem's with some common sense. I think if someone's really lost their way, it can be a lifesaver. Smart recovery, Annie grace, Yoga, meditation, CBT are all fab alternatives. I don't totally agree with the AA'er who wrote that article commenting on 'alternative' sobriety groups. As we know here, whatever works for a person, works.

Slo, i agree it can make AA/NA meetings tricky when you have court ordered folk attending who don't want to be there. i reckon it's a case of sussing out those people and moving to the other side of the room until one gits the hang of things.

Surf's up.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Happy New Year everybody!!!

Jan 1 is often seen as a good day for fresh starts. If you're in need of one (doesn't have to be your quit - maybe something else in your life is ready for change), now's your chance. Personally, I use NYE and NY Day as opportunities to reflect and be grateful, and to set a positive tone for the coming year. My wife and I are going to join a friend and take our pups on a long walk tomorrow, with the intention to cross many of our city's beautiful bridges. I love the metaphor of bridges as connections or pathways to leave what you don't like behind and to help you get where you want to be. As we walk we will talk about what we will work to leave behind and what we aspire toward.

What is your intention for 2023? Anything you look forward to, or plan to explore, or what to challenge yourself with?

May tomorrow be a wonderful start to a wonderful year for all nesters near and far.

Peace, Wags
      Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

HAPPY NEW YEAR NESTERS

2023 is here & we all owe it to ourselves to make it our best year yet!!!
        I don’t have any grand intentions but I surely do want to stay focused on my health, it’s better now than it was one year ago & I want to keep everything positive. You really can’t enjoy life to the fullest if you’re dealing with health issues so let’s all stay focused.

Hello to Wags, G & everyone stopping by.
        Wishing a safe night in the nest for all.

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Happy start of 2023 to everyone!

Lav - that sounds like a fantastic thing to focus on for yourself in the coming year. And it's so true - health issues make everything else more challenging, so it's worth doing what you can for health, wellness, fitness, mental health, etc.

We had a chilly but sunny Jan 1 here and our bridge walk was wonderful. Hope you all had equally good starts to your new years.
          Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Happy New Year Nest! I love the fresh start. I am back to work, and ready to dig in with a few new goals in mind, including MAKING myself take time each day for physical exercise. There's so much research about how very important this is for having an enjoyable last few decades of life. Exercise increases the flow of critical neuron pathways, and shows our body that we intend to use our muscles and strength. If we don't demand it, our body decides to un-prioritize it and it atrophies. Use it or lose it.

G! You're brilliant! I'll start billing them about 4 hours per day on average.

It's a great feeling to get rid of unneeded stuff. My issue is that I don't want to send it to a hole in the ground (dump). I want to research how to recycle it, so it takes longer. So I put it off! But I've found that just about everything can be dealt with environmentally.

Turns out our social events this weekend were fun. Yesterday we played games and made vision boards from all the magazines we had accumulated over the year. It is really fun to see what everyone puts on their boards - and fun to see what your own ends up being. Call it subliminal intentions in visual format. It amazes me how many of the images or words that I put on my boards in some way become my reality.

OK, time to do work. It's been a nice long week+ of staycation! Have a great day!
            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

No sun here & a light rain is falling but it’s still fairly mild for this time of year. I have to admit I just didn’t do much today, I think that was exactly what I needed
              Husband is prepping for a colonoscopy tomorrow so there was no cooking today. I’ll make something good for dinner tomorrow

Wags, glad you enjoyed your bridge walk, sounds pretty cool.

Kensho, putting yourself on the daily priority list is a great idea. You will have more energy for everything & everyone else is you look after your needs first. Good decision.

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Kensho - love the vision board idea! And kudos to you on committing to physical activity every day. It is self-care, and it definitely is an investment in our current and future selves.

Lav - we all need days of basically nothing once in a while. Actually, without those I think it's likely to end up needing them *more than* once in a while.

All is good here. Fairly quiet, busy enough but not TOO busy. Ready to have a good year.

Take care everyone.
                Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

More clouds & light rain today bit it’s still mild outside. Nothing to gripe about haha!!

Wags, looks like we’re keeping the nest open for business if anyone needs us
                  I did get off my butt & got some things done today. The day off yesterday energized me I guess. Glad the week is starting off good for yuo.

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Afternoon nesters

Happy New Years to all. This year i am going to keep doing what i did in 2022, stay sober and be happy.
                    Back to work next week, have not achieved all that i set out to do but have had a good rest and recuperation. Still trying to get over the covid tireds, good for a few days and then exhausted, hoping it will pass in time.
                    Cooled down here now which i dont mind, garage is slowly getting done, have posted some free items on a site for our suburb. Everyones trash is someones treasure.
                    Have caught up on a lot of netflix during my time off and some gardening. Life is good.

take care xx
                    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Ava - sounds like some wonderful time off, some relaxing and some productivity. Your plan for 2023 seems just about perfect too.

Lav - yep, glad to help keep the light on here in the nest. Hope your husband's procedure went well today, and good on you for having a day off that actually turned out help you re-energize so quickly!

Things are good here. Working but not too much. Very cold so not getting as much outside time as I would like, but I think we've got milder temps coming for this weekend so we've got something to look forward to.

Great nights and days to everyone!
                      Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Cloudy & damp still but mild out.
                        Got word last evening that my son-in-law’s dad finally passed. He had been hospitalized for several weeks with so many things wrong. His 86th birthday was just last week. Will be heading to the funeral service on Saturday. It’s hard to watch people die but it’s also hard to watch them suffer. Take care of yourselves & your families :hug:

Ava, sounds like you’ve had a pretty good break from work, good for you. We have similar goals for the new year

Wags, your cooler weather will be reaching us here in a few days. Night time temps going back into the. Teens. At least we will have heat this time, haha!

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hey, I'm... new is the wrong word. I was a member a long time ago, under a different user, different e-mail, different life. So I'm... back? newly back? I'm glad to be here either way I am 6 days clean, not yet sober (one thing at a time, one day at a time) but working on it. I'm happy to be here, getting my support system in place, working on myself and hopefully, eventually, getting my life together.
                          They/He

SH free - 25/11/2022
                          AF - 15/02/2023

Comment

Hi [MENTION=24768]Battle_for_the_sun[/MENTION] and welcome (back)! Congrats on your 6 days clean. Returning to MWO and the Nest in particular is a fantastic addition to your support system. If you don't remember, or haven't already been directed there, be sure to check out the Tool Box/Kit (link in my signature below) -- tons of helpful posts, strategies, and other ideas that can help you put your plan for quitting together. Glad you're here!

Lav - this cool/cold spell should be much easier with heat Sorry to hear about your SIL's dad passing, although it sounds like he was having a rough time there at the end. It's definitely hard when someone dies, but I totally agree that having them here but suffering is much harder/worse.

Hellos and waves to everyone else passing through the nest. Hope you all have wonderful days & nights.
                            Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Evening nesters

Welcome Battle, glad to see you logging in and great work on 6 days, settle in and let us know about yourself.

Lav, sad your SIL's dad died, i dont think its easy at any age but no more suffering. Mum wants to die in her sleep and hopefully she will, she is 86 and great for her age thankfully.

Wags, we are in for a hot week, i think i will be wanting some cooler weather by the end of it. 33 on Monday and i have to go into work, thankful for air con, i must say. I do enjoy hibernating in winter.

Today, D2 and i went shopping, she was telling me how much money she doesnt have with buying food and paying bills. I just thought, wow i am so glad i dont have to pay for any of that (insert sarcasm), i must say i am saving money with her not living with me. i have made her a batch of spaghetti bolagnese for her to freeze and will drop that off. I am still living my best life with me and the fur babies.

Tomorrow i have to take Bindi to the vets, noticed a blood vessel that may have burst in her eye and she is blind already. emailed photos to the vet and they gave me an apt for 3pm.

My son came over and helped me move out an old tv unit that i used as storage so that is out the front with a "free" sign though doubt it will go as the size of tv's these days, no tv wil fit in the . The garage is coming along nicely but is going to take much longer than anticipated and thats ok, as long as i get to declutter before winter!
                              AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

We had another damp day but ended up with a burst of sun during a rain shower & a rainbow
                                I’m still excited to see a rainbow, funny.

Hello & welcome Battle, glad you decided to join us! Congrats on your 6 days clean, that’s a major step. Be sure to get a good plan together to ensure your success. Stay close to the nest, we’re glad to help any way we can.

Wags, lingering at he end of life is something i definitely do NOT want. I have discussed this repeatedly with my daughter, she understands since she has worked in hospitals too. I trust her to follow my wishes. Unfortunately this man’s wife was thinking only of herself or he wouldn’t have suffered so long. That’s why we all need a trusted advocate.

Ava, your mom is fortunate to still be so healthy at 86. I’ve taken care of a few 100+ year olds who didn’t look a day over 60, amazing!
                                I remember my kids going thru those growing $$ pains, haha!!! It is nice when they all leave for good, you do save a lot.

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X