Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Quick sober fly-by for me tonight. Glad to see so much activity in the nest! Catch you all tomorrow.
    Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Morning Everyone! I'm fitting in a few hot-items for work projects, then having a "date" with my dad. We are going to go have tea at a cool tea house nearby. I miss my dad and would like to spend more time with him. He's not getting any younger.

It's still cold here. I'm headed to sin--city next week for "market" for the building and design industry. I haven't been in 20 years... just prior to getting married. We drank up a storm. Thankfully, this time I'm going with my friend and sometimes-design-partner who has been very supportive of my sobriety. No wild nights out. Besides, we are going to be crazy tired after walking miles each day through the convention center! Good food, a bath and a bed are all I need!

Happy new day everyone. Make it a good one and be thankful.
      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Evening,

Day 5 and it seems to be getting harder rather than easier, ptsd flashbacks keep cropping up in amongst drinking thoughts and even the odd craving for painkillers, haven't thought about drugs this much since the early days of getting clean and I'm coming up on 30 days tomorrow. I'm trying to step back and analyse it all, figure out where its coming from but honestly I think its just sinking in that I've no intention of drinking or getting high again, and that's making me really really want to. Its the idea of it I seem to be craving more than anything, there's no wanting to feel a certain way, just the maddening thought repeating.

Kensho, I hope you enjoyed your 'date' and are looking forward to the market, its good you have somebody supportive along with you.

Lav - I'll be sure to take your advice when i get chance, keeping my head in my studies for now, it helps some but I can't seem to keep myself focused.

Waves to everyone else to come.
        They/He

SH free - 25/11/2022
        AF - 15/02/2023

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Wags, hope you have the weekend off so you can relax a bit

Kensho, enjoy your time with your Dad, sounds nice. I’ve never been to Vegas, have no desire to go but I understand your concerns. You have a good deal of AF time now & all the tools you need to skirt temptation. You’ll be OK. I used to enjoy the embroidery trade shows in Atlantic City, another temptation city, haha!

Battle, keep letting those thoughts just pass you by, no need to act on them. They will be decreasing little by little, I remember them well. You’ve done such a great job on your quits while being so busy with your schooling & job. Deep breaths help a lot.

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!
          Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Battle! Try not to think of "forever"...just focus on today. The time will fly by.

I had a great afternoon with my pop... how nice it was to shut off my phone and leave the office on a Friday. I think I might make it a monthly ritual!

Happy Friday everyone... keep building those sober muscles! They can never get too big!
            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Originally posted by Battle_for_the_sun View Post
              Its the idea of it I seem to be craving more than anything, there's no wanting to feel a certain way, just the maddening thought repeating.
              That's so true, so often it's more about the idea of the drug, the ritual, the excitement than it is about the drug itself; and when you don't cave in to your craving there is a crushing sense of disappointment; I know it too well. I think the best thing to do is to try to distract yourself, just force yourself to do something that takes up your attention, because quite often those strong feelings diminish in strength relatively quickly.
              I haven't read it, but a friend of mine strongly recommended Allen Carr's book (The Easy Way to Stop Smoking) as a method to counter any psychological addition and strong cravings (though I believe he has one for alcohol as well.

Comment

Morning nesters

Life is trudging along, never a dull moment in foster heaven! Carl is still doing really well in his crate and has been pretty good. as long as he is near me he is content to lay in the crate, he has his check up next thursday so hopefully things are going well. Bindi and Gucci are ok, both have decided to be very fussy eaters though did eat steak last night, its like a bloody restaurant at feed time. Oh dont like the meal, let me find you another! Like having small children, bed time is the best!

Battle, my landlord doesnt know what i do here. I have been here 15 years and have 3 chooks and 3 dogs and my daughters cat (whom i am trying to get her to take). Its a need to know basis, he doesnt need to know. house inspections are a bit tricky lol. I was told years ago that its not worth drinking AT anyone as it doesnt affect them, only yourself. I wanted to drink at so many people but it was just me trying to give myself an excuse to drink. If anyone pisses me off with an email now, i close it until i am not so pissed or i just ignore it. I did have a patient complaining just before xmas that they hadnt received an apt and i was so annoyed as i had covid, so i just emailed them and told them. Oh sympathy plus then. I love helping people, but give me a break, there is always a reason behind why something hasnt been done. Congrats on your near 30 days and all of those days AF. That AL brain just doesnt seem to stop at first but it gets quieter until it is gone. One reason that i never want to drink is that i dont think i have the strength to do it again. You will never regret getting through these first weeks.

Kensho, i have been putting stuff i dont want on a free site we have in our suburb and they are snapped up to be reused. i spend most of my time going to clean my garage but instead posting stuff for free. i have now gotten into the habit of "will you use these 3 tv's that have been sitting in the garage for years", umm no and off they go. Some stuff i have put up for sale on other sites. I now basically have to just rearrange the garage so i can put the portable spa up for carls rehab (and for me also).

Slo, hope you are well, i thought of you when i slipped over on nothing yesterday and hurt my knee again. Had to ice and rest it yesterday and have it taped today. they are so dodgy knees, goes with my arm that is dodgy too, ha ha.

Have you started teaching your new students yet Wags?

Time for a coffee, take care xx
                AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Evening,

Late as I've been busy all day, took a day out from just reading to get through some of my watchlist and make some art which I haven't had much time for lately. I do a lot of fan art and wanted to post something on my page to celebrate because today is my 30th day free of drugs, it has been rough getting here, especially since quitting drinking, but its nice to hit a milestone and have something to shout about. Still struggling, but todays new technique has been to say 'sure, we'll do it later', and of course later roles around and I put if off again. Procrastination is my new favourite weapon, honestly.

Hope everyone's doing good and having a relaxing weekend, day 6 here, about 50 minutes away from day 7, still working a minute, at best an hour at a time but the hours are at least stacking up.
                  They/He

SH free - 25/11/2022
                  AF - 15/02/2023

Comment

Good Saturday evening Nesters,

The rest of the country is gearing up to watch a football playoff game but not me, haha. I’ve been busy doing other stuff & making a pillow for someone. Sports, especially professional sports are just ridiculous to me & people will be overeating & drinking tonight just because of a game, ho hum.

Kensho, that’s so nice. You enjoyed your Dad time. I’m sure he would love to do something like that on a regular basis. Good for both of you.

Mulburry, haven’t seen yo for a while, how’s it going?

Ava, you really do have your hands full lady!! Glad Carl is doing so well, the others too.
                    We live in an area where yo simply put unwanted TVs & the like on the wall out front & they disappear like magic, haha. We also have access to the county dump where you pay by the pound to get rid of stuff although that place will be filled some day, then what? You definitely need your spa space

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Battle - Congrats to you on your quits, you’re doing so well!! :welldone:
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Ava - I've met at least once with each of my new students. They all seem pretty great and the ones continuing on from before are all awesome, so it should be a good few months! Your puppers hit the jackpot when they landed in your family, whether they're fosters or yours for keeps. Good work on getting rid of stuff by giving it away - I've been doing the same thing and it feels really good.

Kensho - sounds like a fun date with your dad, and making it a monthly thing is a fab idea. You'll do great in Vegas and I bet your travel friend will be grateful for such a sober relaxed time together.

Battle - congrats on your 30 days!!! As others have said, those "cravings" (even if not for the feeling you used to get) usually pass fairly quickly if you can distract or occupy yourself, and framing things as "not today" instead of forever / never again can make it way easier to protect your quit. You've got this!

Mulburry - great to see you!

Hellos and waves to Lav, NS, G, and everyone else passing through the nest. Hope you're all having great sober weekends!
                        Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

I’m completely ignoring the football playoff game on TV, haha. Just not interested, but that’s me. I can’t believe people paid up to $7,000 a seat to see this game, incredible.
                          I have gathered up a giant pile of fabric scraps & am turning them into hair scrunchies. I did these back in the early 90’s when my daughter was in high school. She shared them with friends. Now my granddaughter can do the same. Easy way to stay out of trouble!

Wags, I’m glad your spring is shaping up to be a good one
                          We just donated 6 or 7 bags of clothing & household stuff to the Purple heart folks. I’m ready to start filling more bags. Does a lot of good so we keep donating.

Hello to all & wishing a safe night in the nest for all.
                          Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Evening,

A fun day of studying, clocked up over 12 hours of project time, I am loving it, genuinely.

Wags - glad you've got a good batch of students

Lav - don't blame you avoiding the game, over here it was madness with the world cup not long ago and I only knew a match was on when the neighbours were yelling.

Waves to everyone else, day 31/Day 7 (8 minutes to day 8, I'm late tonight), still got this
                            They/He

SH free - 25/11/2022
                            AF - 15/02/2023

Comment

Lav - I'm totally out of the loop on the football playoffs or anything else. I used to watch more when I was younger (of course drinking too - seems to go together) but have no use for either anymore. Good job on all those donations. I find that to be very rewarding as well.

Battle - congrats on Day 8 (and 31)!!! That's fantastic that you're loving what you're doing for your project.

Hellos and waves everyone!
                              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Congrats on a week, Battle! What is Fan Art? Do you sell your pieces? I make too much stuff to use (or even give as gifts) but selling knitted or quilted things is tough because they would have to be so ridiculously expensive given the cost of materials (I like the 'good stuff') and time involved. Oh, well. I enjoy the designing and making.

Glad to hear you have a good group, Wags. That must make your work so enjoyable and rewarding.

It is true winter here now, Lav. Maybe it will head to you. I have to dress like an Eskimo to walk our dog.

Ava, you must be a dog-whisperer. The one I have is enough! Carl and your rescues are really fortunate pups.

Belle, how are you doing? We miss you.

Have good week, Nesters.

Comment

Working...
                                X