Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Lav - glad to hear you're feeling better already! I call BS on the whole "god's will" stuff too, no matter who is claiming it. Especially when it impacts others

G-dude - LOVE the new hair-do :sohappy:

Mulburry - I hear you - one drink has never done anything for me either. It's part of what helps me avoid the "just one drink" temptation cuz there's absolutely no temptation in ONE.

All is well here. I got two new students and am now officially going to be very busy from now through mid-April. This will let me have an easier workload during the nicest weather months though so there's a method to my madness

Happy new weeks to everyone!
    Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Originally posted by Mulburry View Post
      I guess for me one drink never did much for me (have a naturally high tolerance I guess) so I put it almost in the same category as few sips (ie wouldn't have enough impact to effect my judgement etc.). That being said, I'm not saying it's a good idea, my point was just about the stereotype that everyone would instantly turn back into a raging alcoholic after a tiny amount.
      Hi Mulberry,

How are things? I've done that test a few times over the years. The result (for me) is that i can behave myself and stick to a couple to begin with. e.g. maybe for the next 3 or 4 occasions. However if i keep tempting myself like that, my real desire is to get sloshed and high. Maybe not written off, but still affected enough to supply a little hangover, headache and lethargy the next morning. I'm not exactly bursting outta the starting gates off life the next morning. This is a problem for me, as it immediately puts my dreams on hold, at least for a few extra hours, or the rest of the day, maybe for the week. Just how i used to be.

I feel i understand and have dealt with the reasons why i like/d to visit oblivion, so that's an advancement. I could likely handle a glass or 2 here and there and not touch it for a few weeks - for a time. If 'moderating' i know i'd be at huge risk of reaching for the bottle if an unpleasant life event occurred. Then all bets would be off and game on. It'd be back on the hampster wheel. I don't fear the possibility, it's more that it'd be a huge waste of my precious time and energy again, where my dreams would be back on hold. Next step - the depressing world of 24/7 self inflicted misery and regret. Yo feelin' me Kensho?

You're raaawkin Wags!

I went back to Harry and we came up with this.....

Toupe 2.jpg

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

One drink sounds irritating to me. It doesn't really taste all that good in my opinion. In the beginning, I drank to appear cool and sophisticated and then later also for the purported "health" benefits of red wine. By the time I thought I actually liked it was because I liked it (actually, the effects of a good dose) WAY TOO MUCH. One became not nearly enough. None is so much easier (and healthier!! We were sold a bill of goods about alcohol being good for us).

I'm so glad to hear you are improving quickly, Lav!

Smart plan, Wags. You'll enjoy the time off during the nicer days.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Feeling better but have zero energy so I’m not doing too much yet. There’s really no need to push myself so why would I?

Wags, you’re a smart cookie arranging your schedule like that. Sounds like something I would do.
          I’ve tried keeping an open mind about the Amish community since moving to this area 20 years ago. They have done things ‘their way’ for hundreds of years, I get that. But I just cannot accept the willful ignorance when it comes to their health. Every 40 something female in that group has 9 or more kids & not a single tooth in their heads. They consume sugar like you can’t imagine & can’t be bothered caring for their teeth. The same families keep having infants that die within the first 2 or 3 months of life due to genetic issues but they keep having them anyway because it’s god’s will. Depressing, honestly.

G, you’re looking as good as ever

NS, I think at this point we can skip the health benefits of wine & just take Reservatrol capsules & get the same benefits, Lol. I don’t miss the days of having to come up with excuses for drinking, right?

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!
          Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Nest!

G, you nailed it - and while lookin' sharp! I totally agree that I just have no desire to waste the time any more. There is so much I want to do and learn and experience - numbness doesn't have the pull anymore.

Wags... nice planning on your summer time! I would love to be slower in the warm months. So cool that you have that to look forward to! What will you do with your added free time?

Good to see you on the mend LAV. I remember that lethargy - it was intense. You'll be back to full speed soon enough.

Hi Mulberry! MISS YOU Byrdie!

Anyone heard from PAV? I think her last post was from November....
            Last edited by KENSHO; February 13, 2023, 06:23 PM.
            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hi everyone. Enjoyed reading back. Guitarista, you're a hoot, as always.

There was a time, long, long ago, when I could (or thought I could) have a drink or two. I was on meds, it had been years. Fast forward, decide to get off meds, (or even stay on them, for many people) and then life happens. Or Life Happens in a double whammy. And then guess what? My coping skills were and are still lacking if it doesn't mean running away. That's addiction for me. But also, the longer we go in and out, or just in, the more likely it is that our brain defaults to the easy. Or at least mine does. So on that note, I'm gonna just wave. Two steps forward for me, and then 3 days of hell.

Cheers. Thanks for being here.

Comment

Also, Lav, I've been meaning to say that I'm sorry you got the 'vid. I'm glad you're on the mend. I got it post vaccinations and booster, and I didn't have terrible symptoms. But the lethargy was miserable. Hope yours is short lived.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarista View Post
                  i'd be at huge risk of reaching for the bottle if an unpleasant life event occurred. Then all bets would be off and game on. It'd be back on the hampster wheel.
                  I think that would be the big danger for me as well, not having a few sips, but an extremely stressful situation or major negative life event (but I don't think it would make a difference if I hadn't drank in years or not if my headspace was bad enough). But who knows, I haven't encountered that yet luckily so will just have to try to deal when it does occur (because it always does eventually, can't escape it, the cost of living I guess).

Comment

My lighter schedule in the summer will probably just allow for bike rides and day hikes and hanging out on our lovely back deck and working our community garden. No travel probably while my dad is still living with us - can't leave him overnight and there's nobody who could come and stand in for me. Honestly that's a huge bummer but I'm trying not to think about it much or I'll get sad / frustrated or worse. Trying to reframe things positively and have as much adventure right around here as possible. We live in a beautiful part of the world that people travel from all over to see, so I keep thinking about it as the ultimate stay-cation.

Lav - the lethargy sounds rough, and I think almost everyone has at least a bit of that. Hope it passes quickly and that you recover fully soon.

Hellos and waves NE, NS, Kensho, G, and everybody I'm missing. Glad we're all here together!
                    Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Happy Valentine’s Day!!

When you’ve been married > 49 1/2 years these days seem unnecessary, haha!! Today my husband said ‘I’ll buy you a card next year’ LOL
                      Things are improving, feeling more like myself & didn’t have that soul crushing afternoon fatigue, thank goodness

Kensho, good to see you & I’ve been thinking about Pav too. Hope everything is OK with her.

Ne, thanks & yes we’re vaccinated & boosted as well but still got a dose of Covid. I can’t imagine how much worse it would have been without the vaccines.

Mulburry, the. More tools we have in our arsenals the better we are prepared for life’s unexpected twists & turns.

Wags, I like the way you reframed your thoughts. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with a stay-cation in a beautiful part of the country. I’m sure your Dad appreciates your presence as well. Mine lived with us for a long time as well.

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!
                      Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Quick check-in for me tonight. I had a very long day of teaching and I'm wiped out. Tomorrow is a day off though, and I'm looking forward to that.

Hope you're all doing well and I'll catch you again tomorrow!
                        Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Afternoon all,

Back to day 1 after a week of disappearing into bad habits, we talked a bit about kindling before - I'm not AF long enough to be hitting issues but painkillerwise this is definitely the sickest I've been, I'm still eating but it's a case of psyching myself up for it each time. Thank god for zoom meetings and being able to claim a broken camera haha. Been keeping up with everyone without posting, hope you're feeling better Lav, waves to all.
                          They/He

SH free - 25/11/2022
                          AF - 15/02/2023

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Definitely feeling more human today
                            We’re enjoying early spring weather here for a few days but it won’t last. Is it really still February??

Wags, I hope you enjoyed your day off

Battle, glad to see you back here & I really hope you can get back on track very soon. You have a lot of life to look forward to & you might as well do it in a happy & healthy way. Let this be your very last day 1!!!

Hello to all & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!
                            Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Battle - glad you're back. The only way through is forward, one step at a time.

Lav - you're lucky to have some spring-like weather there. It's below freezing here, although we did have some sunny hours so that was nice to see.

Hope everyone is doing well. Keep on keepin' on!
                              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi everyone

I haven't read back today, but just want to post a hello as I remember I was going to post on the weekend.

Did note, however, that Battle went back to a Day One. [MENTION=24768]Battle_for_the_sun[/MENTION], sorry if this has been mentioned before, but something that helped me a lot was "urge surfing." Control Urges With Urge Surfing.

It's very hot here today - Ava & G will surely agree! - and I'm not feeling well. But just like Arnie, I'll be back!

Steady
                                x
                                AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Working...
                                X