Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Morning fly-by for me. I've had my hands super full between work and trying to anticipate and then proactively deal with stuff for my dad, so kinda exhausted.

I have a story to share though:

I actually set foot in a liquor store yesterday. It's ok - it wasn't for al and I wasn't even tempted. We needed a bag of ice and that's the closest easiest place to get one on a Sunday around here. Anyway, I was standing in line and happened to glance at the counter as the person in front of me was paying for his items. He had a small bottle of some clear hard liquor (probably a pint / 500ml ish) and some other item I didn't really identify. But my immediate thought when I saw his small bottle was, "Why bother buying such a small bottle? That would never have been enough for me in my drinking days."

That's all the reinforcement I needed to conclude I still have a problem, I just don't act on it.

Sheesh!

Happy Mondays to you all
    Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Waiting on more rain & a few flurries tonight although we really don’t need them haha!

Wags, you were brave to go in the liquor store. I still haven’t set foot in one because I vowed I wouldn’t.
      I don’t know how I would feel watching others buy AL, none of my business I guess. Maybe that little bottle was for a special recipe. I never purchased one of them either LOL
      I hope the rest of your day is good!

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Evening,

Appointment was surprisingly helpful - got a physio referral, new pain management plan, normal pain meds on my repeat prescription. Good time at my friends, he's taking me to get my shopping and some fun crafting stuff on Wednesday, if it doesn't snow too hard anyway. I love the snow so I'll be happy either way. Work tomorrow, still working from home, still stressing as the potential for redundancies are looming, just got to keep my head down, keep doing my best.
        They/He

SH free - 25/11/2022
        AF - 15/02/2023

Comment

We all deal with our addiction differently don't we. I haven't had a problem going into liquor stores. It doesn't phase me, same with bars. However certain houses or certain times of the year can be difficult. On a different matter, Battle in these early days there is victory in the mundane. There's nothing boring about writing about everyday routine in your first days in sobriety. If you're like me your life as an alcoholic is anything but normal. Enjoy the routine it means you're winning.
          Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Chilly but very windy today making it feel even colder. I am ready for Spring

Battle, that’s great news, glad you got what you needed at your appt.
            Sounds like you have a good friend there. Job layoffs are happening here in the US too & there’s not much you can do to prevent it from happening. Maybe you can get some feelers out & see what job openings are available for you, just in case.

TJ, we really do change our thinking once we are AF. I have no business in a liquor store so I continue to stay out of them. I have better things to do anyway.

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Evening all,

A little after midnight so I can celebrate 21 days AF today.

Good to see you TJ, you're right a routine is a nice thing to have.

Lav - I can find something if I have to but I'm not likely to find part time work that pays what I get now, and job hunting whilst trans and autistic is -a lot-. Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be lucky and won't get caught up in the cuts.
              They/He

SH free - 25/11/2022
              AF - 15/02/2023

Comment

Battle - congrats on 21 days. Sounds like a tough place to be with the uncertainty around your work. Sorry if I missed this but is your work related to your studies? Like a research fellowship or similar?

G - great to see you! Hope your weekend of music-making was fab.

It's almost hump day AGAIN! Feels like the days and weeks are flying by, even though some days crawl. Time is weird
                Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Evening all

Busy day at work, meetings, minutes, all that boring administrative stuff. Friend took me to get my shopping again, came back with my favourite cookies and some fun Easter crafting things, so the days not all bad.

Wags - my job is at my university but not connected to my studies, I actually work in admin for the school of maths, which is about as far from what I study as you can get (although I have spent the week processing data so maybe I should revise that opinion haha)
                  They/He

SH free - 25/11/2022
                  AF - 15/02/2023

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Battle, Congrats on your 21 days/3 weeks AF! You’re doing well, keep going.
                    I’m sorry about your job worries. We will all keep our fingers crossed for you & hope that helps :hug:

Wags, I agree, time is weird & the older you get the weirder it gets, honestly! I hope the rest of the week goes by quickly for you.

Missing so many Nesters & hoping they pop in soon for a visit.
                    Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Quick sober check-in. This has been a long week with two more long days then a fairly easy weekend. Can't wait!

Waves and hellos to everyone!
                      Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

3 weeks is great, Battle. Congratulations!

This nest is pretty empty, isn't it Lav. Let's hope all the fledglings and older birds are doing well!!

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Sunny & a comfy 50 degrees here, not complaining

NS, I hope you’re right that everyone is busy but doing well. After all, that is the goal

Wags, busy as usual. Hope everything is OK with you as well.

Battle, I hope you’re doing well & getting better pain relief now.

Wishing everyone a safe night in teh nest!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Checking in - busy and all is well. I knew I was setting myself up with a heavy workload now so that June-Aug can be a lot lighter, and I will say I succeeded on the heavy part!

Lav and NS - yes, hope all the other nesters we haven't seen recently are doing well and living their best sober lives.

Take care everyone!
                            Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, again, Wags and Lav. Nothing big to report but I guess that is ok. Glad I'm not logging on to confess that I decided to drink!! At this point it definitely would be a decision, made with my logical mind. The days of blaming my addicted animal brain are long gone and I'm grateful for that!! Have a good weekend, everyone.

Comment

Evening,

Bad pain day yesterday, generally felt super down so missed check in. Still not in a great place, I'm avoiding my painkillers because they mess with my work but its making for a fairly miserable time. Still AF but its definitely been harder the last couple days.
                                They/He

SH free - 25/11/2022
                                AF - 15/02/2023

Comment

Working...
                                X