Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Happy St Patrick's Day to all, without (as Lav said) the green beer! I'm looking forward to a fun day off tomorrow - we're expecting some sunny spring weather and will be taking a bike ride, going to the farmer's market, and planting the first starts in our community garden. Best of all I have NO classes to teach so it'll really be a day off.

Hope all nesters have fab weekends
    Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi Nest! I've been slammed with crazy work deadlines... three projects in the same phase of construction and needing everything at once. Not tempted to drink. Definitely would have in the old days. I actually cried last week when, at the time my CAD drawings are all due, my computer stopped letting me log into the program. I lost two days taking it to a Mac guy. Maybe the universe telling me that it's all going to be ok, even when it FEELS like an emergency. I am working this weekend a bit to catch up. In the end, I can only do what I can do, and I still want time to hug my children and remember to laugh and see the sun.

Hope you have a great day off Wags. I love the farmers market!!

Battle, 4 weeks is awesome! Great job!

Ava, thanks for the reminder about living for today. You are such a good dog mama.

We have a 44 degree day, but with the sun, it feels downright warm after what we have had most of the winter! I definitely have spring fever.

Happy not-drinking day to everyone - take care.
      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Saturday greetings Nesters,

Sunny & 46 degrees at the moment. I’ll take it

Kensho, good to see you!
        I figured you were busy with work, kids, etc. I hope everything turns out OK for you. I know you’re certainly a hard worker & a non-drinker.

Wags, glad you finally got the day completely off! The farmers around here are planting potatoes & things that won’t be bothered if we get another cold snap. Way too soon for planting much else. Hope you enjoyed your day.

We had an Amish teen here for a few hours stacking new firewood for us. He likes the extra cash & we get to save our backs, haha!!
        Hello to all & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Evening all, keeping very busy with studying. Mother's day in the UK tomorrow, one of the holidays I truly loathe but seeing as I raised myself might make a nice dinner as consolation haha.

Kensho - know the feeling with the computer - back when I was freelancing as a graphic designer I lost a chunk of time and work one day due to a computer issue and it was soul crushing. Technology is wonderful when it works but nothing more infuriating than when it breaks and you can't talk it back into working.
          They/He

SH free - 25/11/2022
          AF - 15/02/2023

Comment

Hello always love you all. This place …Keeps me going when missing my son.
            "Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never -- in nothing, great or small, large or petty -- never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. " by Winston Churchill .

Comment

Hi Shades and evabody,

I hope you're having an easy weekend Shades.

Busy Ms. Lizzy over here. In a good way. All good here. Have rediscovered the wonders and benefits of scheduling/stacking google calendar with things important to me so i actually do them. The strategy is saving me hours i tells ya.

Hope you're ok there Kensho. Of course you are Warrior. Big waves to all.

Surf's up

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Looking forward to the start of Spring tomorrow even though the temps are dropping below freezing tonight. The real Spring will be here soon enough.

Battle, hope your day was good & you enjoyed your dinner

Shades, always nice to see you. Drop in any time :hug:

G, you sound like a very busy dude & managing your AF life quite well. Good for you!

Hello to all & wishing a safe night in the nest for everyone!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Kensho - sorry to hear of the computer issues, but you've got a healthy mindset about it and in the end you really can only do what you can do. Glad you got sunshine and relative warmth!

Lav - we're lucky that it's actually an ok time to start planting greens (starts and seeds) and a few other things. Too early for tomatoes, peppers and the like but we'll be getting to that soon. Sounds like a smart choice on your end to have the Amish teen stack your wood. I'd call that a win-win for sure!

Ava - how are your pups doing? And how about you?

Shades - so good to see you. I can only imagine how much missing your son must hurt. Glad you find some solace here in this very supportive nest. :hug:

Had a wonderful day off yesterday, then back to teaching today. I've got a very light day tomorrow though and my upcoming week isn't too bad. Only a few more weeks and then things will start to ease up a bit - then mid-June will launch my intentionally light summer schedule. Trying to just keep all my ducks in a row right now so I'm not fried when summer arrives.

Happy new weeks everyone!
                  Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Evening,

Very late checking in, made the day nice for myself, finished my required studying for the week then cooked myself a nice dinner and played video games all evening. My arm will be most displeased with me tomorrow but it made what's usually a rough day into a really rather pleasant one, and with no drinking for the first time in many years, usually it's a big trigger for me and whilst the thought crossed my mind it was more out of habit than out of wanting to. Drinking seems to have largely lost its appeal with the benefit of some distance, can't think what it was about it I enjoyed.

Waves to all, I'll catch up properly tomorrow but I must admit I may have gotten rather too into my game, started playing at 8 and it's gone 1am haha.
                    They/He

SH free - 25/11/2022
                    AF - 15/02/2023

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Welcome to Spring
                      We enjoyed a sunny & dry day, a bit chilly but that’s OK. Looking forward to getting some garden beds cleaned up very soon.

Wags, technically we’re not supposed to plant anything here until Mother’s day in May but I never wait that long, haha! Glad your busy schedule is manageable & yo have an awesome summer to look forwrad to after all the work.

Battle, you sound like my grandkids staying up until all hours playing games, Lol. Obviously you were enjoying yourself.
                      I hear you about the gift of distance from alcohol - why did we ever think it was a good idea??? Hope today was good for you

Thinking of everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Evening,

Said I'd read back today but its once again late and I once again spent the entire evening on a game xD I was supposed to study but I'm hunting for an item and I can't seem to leave it alone xD Work tomorrow I really will try and ban myself from games, read back, do work, sleep at a sensible hour but... I really do want that item haha.
                        They/He

SH free - 25/11/2022
                        AF - 15/02/2023

Comment

Hi Nesters,

@Battle, you seem to be really rocking the AF thing now, and I can't help thinking if you want to spend time on gaming then why not?! I understand though that you are studying & have a lot to do, so I hope you can find a balance between all your activities that works for you.

I'm dealing with an over-active mind right now, and think my brain must still be healing from the drinking years. New parts (of my brain) come alive (re-awaken?), I process stuff that I hadn't in the past, and my thoughts go from one topic to the another with no apparent connection! Uggghh, now I'm thinking it's that old beast anxiety.

Going to the gym helps a lot, as does weeding, tidying, and recycling stuff I no longer need. I'm going to persevere, because I know if I give in and go see my GP, the suggestion will be medication.

The weather's been milder and mostly quite pleasant lately, lots of sunshine yesterday, and today it's rain.

I think if I post here more often, say about once a week, I'll actually be able to participate morebfully i.e. respond to what other's post more.

Was upset last time when I'd done a long post that disappeared and was too wound up to attempt to try to recreate it.

Okay, I'm waffling, til next time,
                          peace,
                          Steady x
                          AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

We made it all the way up to 60 degrees today - woo hoo!!!! It was nice & sunny too

Steady, I have found the best way to deal with monkey mind is doing a guided meditation. Pop those ear buds in & tune up a meditation when yo’re going to bed at night, works wonders for me.
                            I know sometimes medication is necessary but I really prefer doing things more naturally. Give it a try.

Battle, I think we all have our favorite escapes/time wasters. They do serve a purpose but we still need to get our work done Lol

I hope everyone is having a great day & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Steady - It would be fantastic to see you here with whatever regularity works best for you. I've had that happen where a long post just disappears and it almost made me cry. I actually now try to remember to "select all" and then "copy" the text of my post before I hit the post button. That way if it disappears I can just paste it in and try again.

Battle - sounds like you're really enjoying that game and I hope you have success on your quest for the item you're seeking!

Lav - I think we got up to about 60 degrees F here today too! It was wonderful as a kick-off to Spring. Supposed to be cooler and rainier the next several days but having even a few days here and there of promising weather keeps my mood up. Hope your week is going well overall.

Hellos and waves everyone!
                              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Evening nesters

I seem to be always busy but here checking in. Dogs all well though nearly put one foster down that has terminal cancer but dosed her with cbd oil and she came around. I have now started cbd oil three times a day and she seems more content. its such a hard decision to know when the time is right (or wrong). Carl feels he should be playing chasey with Bob after two weeks after surgery but the answer is NO to that one Carl.

Steady, yes i get the anxiety mind going a million miles an hour. I try and make some me time each day to just chill out. work is crazy busy and the dogs are like small children but i would not change anything with regards to the dogs, ha ha. I am watching MAFS at the moment, and i must say that i am soooo glad i am single lol. just thought i would throw that in.

G, i have to find time to look at the google scheduling etc. i have youtubed it and it can do amazing things, just need the time.

Battle, my sons are gamers and it used to drive me nuts. One son has ADHD and he would play 24/7. Their father also is a gamer so they play all the time. He doesnt live near the boys so i call it bonding time and beer and bonding for my ex. They enjoy it so why not, but it was a nightmare when they were in their teens.

Have your chooks started laying yet Lav? or not warm enough yet?

Wags, there is something to be said for that work life balance. we are finally employing new staff to take some work load off the coordinators so we can actually do coordinating, i keep telling them i just want to sit and file my nails as i have earnt that and maybe catch up on the last five years.

NS our benefits are good if you have been in employment a fair while but they want everything of you these days. i have now been in my job 15 years so the benefits outweigh leaving and i am hopeful that work will ease.

Mum is coming down on the weekend, she has had to have two skin cancers taken off her legs and now they are infected so she thought she would visit so i can look after her. I had a chuckle about that but thats what daughters do and it will be nice to see her, she is easier going now.

time for bed, take care everyone xx
                                AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Working...
                                X