Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Molly maybe you ought to try one meeting. You will be pleasantly surprised. I thought it was going to be a room full of smelly down and out men in their trenchcoats with bottles of surgical spirit in their pockets. The people who attend these meetings are very similar to the people who post on this forum. Intelligent, articulate people who have just lost their way a bit due to drink addiction. You dont' even have to think you are an alcoholic. All AA asks is that you have a desire to stop drinking. I tried moderation for nearly two years while attending AA meetings and I have made some really solid and very special relationships too.Together we have laughed, cried and shared (only if you want to).

I was initially embarassed about going because it's admitting that you have a problem. I saw it as a sign of weakness. Well now I think the opposite.I think it takes alot of strength and courage to admit such a thing. And even more to do something about it.

Hi mazzie!

classicgirl you can do it. I am rooting for you!

Night everyone. x
    Be strong-
    We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
    Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey all - nest is hopping. I'm still at work so can't catch up yet. I'll try to get back on later. :l:l:l
      "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning everyone. Usual story for me.... day off but can I sleep in? NO! Buger.... So got back into bed with the cat sitting on my feet, a hot water bottle warming my legs (cold yet again) and a lovely plunger coffee..... Oh and of course the best bit.... my laptop with you on it!

So much chatter over night. It's great to have lots of new faces with lots of questions to ask. I love being asked questions as I feel like it is my way of helping and returning the support Ihave been given along the way.

Mazzie - good to visualise Lav's avatar... it would be pretty scary scowling instead of winking... Anything to get you thru. My first weekend away minus AL was interesting. I too paniced to start with... the thought of no wine, constantly topping up, from start to finish..... but guess what? It was actually better than I thought it would be. For a start, no hangovers to spoil the weekend and I could remember EVERYTHING for a change. You might have to put in abit of extra effort but it is so worth it. We even did things that we normally wouldnt. Usually everything revolved around where we were going to get that next bottle of wine from, but take that away and the possibilites are endless. Good luck with it, you will enjoy it.

Aclassicgirl - you have a good idea telling us that you will be drinking your lemon water later. That way you are accountable to us. It is like making a daily plan and sticking to it. Alot of people here post their daily plan so they have to admit to us if they didnt go thru with it. Just one way of making sure you do what you set out to do and dont get distracted with AL. You are doing really well. If there is anythng you need from us, just ask.

Rebirth - I had the same vision of smelly men before I went to my first AA meeting. I decided I couldnt do it with men around so found a womens group. And they were mostly professional women who were working with their sobriety. I went to AA for about three years (this was 12 years ago when I had given up drinking and was pregnant/breastfeeding etc but havent been since). Molly, dont go to AA just to please your family. You need to do it for yourself. You may get something out of it but if you are a private person like me (apart from here, I feel safe to say anything here) it might be a bit confronting for you. I'm not good with groups. But everyone is different so maybe try and see what you think. This site is enough for me as even when I am not here I am thinking about the people here and what they have said and how they are doing.

I meant to ask again last night.... what did Sunny's daughter have (apart from a grand peanut like Sunny keeps referring to it.) I mean what sex is it? I've asked her a few times but never get a reply. Just want to finish the story off in my head of the worlds longest labour!!

Well coffee is drunk, hot water bottle is cold and cat is asleep. So time to get my butt into gear and off to the gym. My daughter is at a friends house so just me and my son. Might be a good chance to spend some rare mum and son time. He got his school report yesterday.... oh dear! The sad thing about it was all the comments said " has the potential to do better.... is a vey bright kids.... just needs committment"..... KIDS hey! Drive you bonkers.

Well bye for now. Have a good one wherever you are.

Hipster
        I finally got it!
        "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think, we become" Buddah

Comment

Newbies Nest

For Hippie

Oh.. and MamaBear

It's a boy! But we knew that! LOL
          He's a cutie with TONS of facial expressions... will head up to spend the day with my daughter and him on Thursday I had him all to my lonesome last Saturday... baby sitting
          Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sunnie - Oh my gosh!!!!! He is so cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sunni, he is absolutely gorgeous! He reminds me of my babies - same sort of shape and everything - enjoy him, as you know he'll be a teenager before you know it!!
              Good morning everyone! Hippy, that is how I feel that if I did go to AA it wouldn't be for me - just to keep others happy. Now that I'm sober a while nobody mentions it or thinks of it any more but I know if I drank again they'd be at me like mad so maybe another reason to stay sober?! My youngests report is due in any day and I DREAD it! He's a pleasant sweet young fellow, utterly spoilt cos he is the baby, but doesn't appear spoilt, but his reports! jeez every time we think its going to be wonderful (why do we think that?????) and .........enough said!!

Rebirth, without a doubt anyone who goes to AA is the stronger person - I admire everyone here who does, just still don't think it's for me and that is from a position of ignorance cos I have never been.
              Morning Nora, Classic, and everyone else to come.
              Again Mazzie, have a great trip and you remember Lavs face ya hear!!!!
              Molly
              Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
              contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Everyone

Suns that boy is just georgeous. I had a dream last night that I had a new baby - so cute but i was so relieved this morning when I realised it was just a dream/nightmare! I'll just wait for my grand peanuts then I won't have to worry about the report cards!!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement Molly and Hip about the few days away. I know I'll be fine when I get there with no wine but it will be hard to do that. We re both just so tired all we want to do is sleep, read, walk on the beach and fish a bit. Just need a bit of a break.
                I've got some nice food and non al drinks so should be OK.

ClassicG - how are you. Chugging down that lemon water? You'll be so happy with yourself in the morning when you wake up feeling so good.

I have had some really bad sugar cravings for about 2 - 3 weeks. Just starting to ease up a bit now. I feel I've been so weak giving in to that but i do sort of remember having this before and it eventually sorted out. Anyone else having/had this?

Molly what about AA on line. I read about that somewhere on MWO. Haven't sussed it out myself but maybe someone else has. I would find it very hard also to go to AA as we have lived in this town always so my 'secret' wouldn't be so secret anymore and am not sure i could cope with that just yet. I am thinking about some counselling though just don't know where to start with that.

Hi NoraC and Rebirth and PapM and everyone else. Hope you all have a good day/night.
                Developing an Attitude of Gratitude

Comment

Newbies Nest

Never sussed out AA online - might be interesting? anyone know about it?
                  I went thro a sugar stage as well - when I was drinking I NEVER ate anything sweet, never wanted chocolate or anything, but when I gave up booze I did get cravings for sugar, I suppose the bod is just missing all the sugar it got in alcohol? I got over it pretty much tho, still have the odd sweet thing tho, as they say 'what's seldom is wonderful'!! Again have a great break - you deserve it!
                  Molly
                  Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                  contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oh Sunny thank you. He is gorgeous! Congratulations. I hope he is settling in OK and your daughter is doing well. I love babies (other peoples now though). Thank you for showing us his photo. Hopefully this will be his only time with MWO!
                    xxx
                    I finally got it!
                    "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think, we become" Buddah

Comment

Newbies Nest

Mazzie I am having the ultimate sugar cravings! I am obsessed with chocolate spread. Have you heard of Nutella? That stuff is dangerous. I use to eat the odd chocolate when I was drinking but since my sobriety I just cant get enough! I was eating the nutella by the spoonfuls last night. I just ate a doughnut about five minutes ago. I love dipping strawberries into a jar of sugar. Oh I am in heaven just thinking about it.
                      Maybe it's the body adjusting as molly says? And Molly, yes you are doing the right thing by not going to meetings. As Hip says, don't feel pressured into going otherwise it's a waste of time.

Sunni congratulations. He is so beautiful and you must be so proud. Jeez... I am terribly broody at the moment but I am thinking its too late for me. ( I am 40 next year) It does sadden me thinking its over.

okay. No morbid thoughts. I have a gorgeous son so that's enough for me. x
                      Be strong-
                      We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rebirth you are NOT too old. My friends partner is having a baby and she is 40! Go and find your husband.....

Sugar cravings has added two kilos to my butt since I gave up drinking in January. Go figure! Not drinking a bottle full of empty calories every night but pigging out on chocolate, icecream, lollies, biscuits, cake, slice....... oops maybe replacing AL with too much sugar....
                        For me I think the lollies etc are replacing the "comfort food type feeling" I used to get from AL. I cant have what I (used to ) really want so I will have the second best feel good food. Sugar! I just figure a few empty calories is better than drowning myself everynight with poison.... That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!!
                        Actually tried on some clothes at a shop today and saw a view of me I dont usually see (dont you just love those 360 degree mirrors) and it wasnt pleasant. So maybe time to stop eating junk and concentrate on healthy food (she says after just baking a chocolate caramel slice.... it's for the kids... really). One addiction at a time.
                        xx
                        I finally got it!

Comment

Newbies Nest

I'm here and I made it thru day 2! I'm a happy girl! I started to get worried about failure so will push that out of my mind. I'm back at work and feel like i was just here! Ugh.... Have a good day, everybody!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hippy Chick;905020 wrote: Rebirth you are NOT too old. My friends partner is having a baby and she is 40! Go and find your husband.....
                            xx
                            Ha! Oh gawd Hip don't say things like that cause you are making the broody side of me get even worse. I have only been together with my partner a year but he is desparate for a child. I tell him that I am too old to have another child. He accepts but his eyes well up in tears.

Tell you what Hip. I am going to give myself five months sobriety and then really think about. I think my head will be in a better place by then....

And I need to start exercising!!! Like right now.
                            Be strong-

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning all - wish that I had been able to get back on here yesterday. I'm so happy to see that the nest is flourishing.

Molly - Regarding my anti-depressants & hormones Molly. It does take quite a while for the AD to kick in. I think I got a better response because I just switched from one to another. When I first started them, it took me weeks to feel the benefits. Hang in there. :l

Sorry to just post & run. Late for work.

I am going to keep Dos Gatos going for Fennel until she is back.......so, we have bagels, muffins, burritos, DIET COKE and coffee. Also Krill for Coco.
                              Place your orders. :H:H
                              AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey all -

Nora - where's Fennel???? Is she OK? I'm so busy at work lately I haven't been around here much. I am also NOT doing well with my AF time so NEED to be around here MORE!

I'm going to really make an effort to come to the Nest in the mornings to get a good start on my day - STARTING TOMORROW!

Sunny - what a cutie pie! Worth the l o n g wait, eh?

Love to all - See you tomorrow!

Coco
                                Coco

Comment

Working...
                                X