Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hello Nesters....

Didn't make it to Disneyland today. Woke up feeling awful. I've been having terrible headaches. And today was especially bad. Then later in the day, I was having an awful feeling of being dizzy & just feeling like my brain wasn't catching up to my head. So hard to explain. Well, I had missed my anti-depressants yesterday & today. Looked it up and that is a side effect if you miss a dose. That was an awful feeling. Took my meds and finally started feeling better a few hours later. I don't want to do that again - that's for sure.

Anyway - will have to do our Disneyland trip on another day.

Take care everyone.
    "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Newbies Nest

Cross post Sunni! Glad you sound better today.
      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Newbies Nest

A little laugh

A lecturer, when explaining stress management to an audience,
        raised a glass of water and asked, 'How heavy is this glass of water?'

Answers called out ranged from 20g to 500g.

The lecturer replied, 'The absolute weight doesn't matter.
        It depends on how long you try to hold it.
        If I hold it for a minute, it's not a problem..
        If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my right arm.
        If I hold it for a day, you'll have to call an ambulance.
        In each case, it's the same weight, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes.'

He continued,
        'And that's the way it is with stress management.
        If we carry our burdens all the time, sooner or later,
        the burden will become increasingly heavy:
        and we won't be able to carry on. '

'As with the glass of water,
        you have to put it down for a while and rest before holding it again..
        When we're refreshed, we can carry on with the burden.
        So, before you return home tonight, put the burden of work down: don't carry it home. You can pick it up tomorrow.
        Whatever burdens you're carrying now,
        let them down for a moment if you can.'

So, my friend, Put down anything that may be a burden to you right now. Don't pick it up again until after you've rested a while.

Here are some great ways of dealing with the burdens of life:

* Just accept that, some days you're the pigeon:
        and some days, you're the statue.

* Always keep your words soft and sweet - ,
        just in case you have to eat them.

* Always wear stuff that will make you look good
        if you die in the middle of it.

*Drive carefully. It's not only cars that can be
        "recalled" by their maker.

* If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague. (I really like this!!)

* If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again,
        It was probably worth it. (Amen to that!!)

* It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to be kind to others.

* Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time,
        because then you won't have a leg to stand on.

* Nobody cares if you can't dance well.
        Just get up and dance.

* The second mouse gets the cheese.

* When everything's coming your way,
        you're in the wrong lane.

* Birthdays are good for you.
        The more you have, the longer you live.

* You may be only one person in the world,
        But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

* We could learn a lot from crayons... Some are sharp; some are pretty; and some are dull. Some have weird names; and all are different colours;
        but they all have to live in the same box.

*A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.
        AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Newbies Nest

Nora, sorry you were feeling off yesterday - love your last post, quite a few gems in there! and so true. Mind yourself.
          Sunni, glad you are feeling back on track, think we all have those days/weeks, even normies have them, and actually, I suppose we are normies these days!!
          Morning Hippy, yeah, reckon everyone else has a blast at the weekend and leaves us saddos to man the thread:H:H:H
          Molly
          Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
          contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Newbies Nest

What is this? The Sunny, Hip, Nora and Molly show??

Helllloooooo.... anybody out there?????

Nora - sorry to hear you learnt about not taking your AD's the hard way. I learnt it too, a few years ago. It is a horrible feeling, hard to describe but very unpleasant. Thanks for reminding me/us that those of us who are taking anti depressants need to take them daily as directed. Thanks also for that post. Made alot of sense.

I am off to an awards ceremony tomorrow morning. My son - yes the one who has been suspended twice in the last few months - is getting an award at school. We dont know what it is for but he has done some extremely good work in his metal technology class, making some fantastic things, so maybe it for that. He bought home his latest masterpiece tonight. It is a metal dice, about 5cm cube, welded together. It is perfect. I was so impressed with his craftsmanship and his teachers comments on his last semester report was full of praise. Maybe he needs to put his hands to good use and not for graffiting the toilet walls at school!! Nice to be going up to the school for a positive reason (for a change).

Well got to go. Hopefully a few more newbies will come to play while I am sleeping.

Hippy
            I finally got it!
            "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think, we become" Buddah

Comment

Newbies Nest

Nora..I am so sorry about what you are going through with your son...I cannot imagine
              Same for you Sunni
              but Nora, I am glad you went to counselling...
              I love my family more than alcohol.:h
              Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning, nestlings! Time to start a new week. I have diet coke, coffee and the usual assortment of pastries, bagels and breakfast burritos.

Here, Nora...sounds like you could use a nice diet-coke after your difficult weekend. I've got a bagel in the toaster for you, too...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Everyone-I'm here but I've promised myself a quick peek this morning, a quick hi and then that's it until I get home tonite. I have so much work to do!!
                  NoraC-loved your post! It made so much sense!! I hope we all take it to heart and try to follow it. I will try my best.
                  Molls-did your son smoke the weed in the house or could you smell it on him? My word-how do you guys with kids handle all this?? I go crazy if my dog pees in the house! Good think I'm not real mom!
                  HC-congrats to your son!! Can't wait to get home tonite to find out what he got the award for!!
                  Sunni-you're sounding stronger today. Could it have been the passing of your good friend that triggered some emotions you weren't prepared for?

Another warm day in the Northeast but supposedly less humidity. Of course the AC hasn't kicked in yet in my office suite-they tell me it's just slow but really!!

Have a great day Nestlings!! Thanks for the DC Fennel!!
                  New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome Eva!

Yeah, that bottle gets to be unbearable, doesn't it?
                    I'm glad you stumbled (pardon the pun) upon our little community here... well, not so little, really There are TONS of resources here, tips and tricks, ways of coping that have worked for others... have a read through the Toolbox thread

Molly... I missed your post about the pot... will read back on it. Yep, we got THAT issue here as well. Smoking it and SELLING it. Instead of a real job. Let's hope that all our young lads will grow up and out of their shenanigans :l

Hippie... congrats to the young hipster! Yeah, it's SO much nicer when you can go to school and not be hauled into the principal's office, eh?

Nora, are you feeling better today? You know, it just occurred to me... when my daughter was here for the week, she 'forgot' to take her ad's. And was feeling sick... I wonder..? Btw, now the girl and her doctor decided to put her back on the pill. You know, the one you have to remember to TAKE in order for it to work...

Fennel, my dear, I'll pass on that god awful diet stuff... but have you got some strong java? An IV would work well for today :H

Mama, Papmom, and everyone else to come... have a fabby AF day today! I'm off shortly to load up Atlas and head to riding lessons

:hallo:
                    Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome Neva Eva - So glad to have you here. :welcome: I know what you mean about a grand plan but how about just for today....don't drink. Come here and be with us. That's what we all are doing as we make our grand plans. :l

I'm glad that some of you enjoyed the post. For some reason that really hit home with me at this point in my life. And I laughed at the some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue. :H:H

Fennel - MY DEAR FRIEND - my perfect breakfast. Thank you!!! I have missed you so much. :l

HC - Congrats about your son. Can't wait to hear the details.

Molly, Mama & Pap and everyone else. I'm super late for work. My niece is running a temp and I've been up during the night with her. So, got to rush and get going. I'll be back!
                      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Newbies Nest

crosspost again Sunni - :H:H:H
                        AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Newbies Nest

EVA - WAY TO GO!!!!!!:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:
                          AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi eva...where are you on the east coast?? I'm in Jacksonville Florida
                            get the book, get the supplements and the cd's if you can afford them.
                            I tried Topamax and hated it, and I started baclofen a few weeks ago. There is a thread here about all the medications.....
                            alot of folks beat the beast with meds...almost all of us use supplements...but mostly we lean on each other to get us through tough times, cravings, bad days, stupid husbands, etc....

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning all.
                              I have read the past few days of posts and all I can say is: there is a lot of life going on!

But I have found that it is always easier to deal with challenging situations, be they with your kids, your spouse, your family, your job, your whatever, with a clear head and a brain that is calm and not racing around and flipping through every thought in the universe. My experience is that we cannot ever "fix" other people or their problems but we CAN be there for them and provide the "message" when they are ready. The "message" is whatever is right at the time. Sometimes that is just compassion.

Related to having new activities, since I have not been depressing my body and my brain with AL, I have more energy and interest in trying new things. Recently I have taken a painting with water colors class and I even signed up for two private lessons at a dance studio (swing so I can get out on the dance floor sober!!). I have recently been hitting (ok, sometimes) golf balls as the local driving range. I joined a knit group and a book club. Also I post a picture a day on my facebook in a project called Project 365 where you post one picture a day for a year. Obviously, some better than others but there is no criteria for the pictures - just anything that interests you. Some I may continue, but all of them get me out there trying new things. The dancing was soooo fun! I couldn't believe I could do it without drinking! My suggestion is to just get out there and try a few new things that challenge you and you will find your passion. Or you may find that it is still back home in your garden or home decorating or whatever. My thought is that we are working hard to get our health and our clarity back. Let's enjoy it!

Welcome, neva eva and good wishes to all who are still here, keeping the nest warm and welcoming!
                              prancy

Comment

Newbies Nest

Prancy
                                you sound so strong and happy
                                I am so happy for you!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X