Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Good morning. I am back after falling off the wagon and right under the wheels for the past year. I am drinking at least one bottle of wine a day. I have a great husband (who can drink responsibly, such as quitting after one or two) a great daughter and son in law who are becoming more disgusted with me by the day. I am so sick of feeling the shame, but I tried being AF last year, only lasting two weeks. I just don't know if I can do it!! Tried AA last year, but it just didn't feel right. Thanks for listening...I feel stronger just reading your posts.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Molly and WN;
      beautiful sunday, day 4 for me, just starting to feel GOOOOOD.
      WN, this is the place to be, just read and read, use toolbox and make a plan. I'm new, but much more hopeful. If we keep doing the same old, how can it get better? Change. Best!
      From the Sanskrit prayer;

"....For yesterday is but a dream, and tomorrow is only a vision,
      But today well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a dream of hope."

:catroll:
      determined to be AF

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi to Mere, Willynilly and Keifer, and anyone else new I've missed - :welcome:
        You're in a great place for support! I remember posting here one morning with a dirty hangover, feeling soooo low. The support here got me through, and I'm amazed I've gotten this far! So hang on in there

Molly, my brother read that book by Clarissa (can't remember her surname!) and said it was really good. I'll ask him for a loan of it. I love getting caught up in a good story! How did the dinner go?
        I went to a lunchtime concert in the cathedral here, it was a local soprano singing. She was amazing, and I loved it. I remember going to a different concert there a few months ago, a Spanish guitarist, and I was so hungover and sick, I didn't enjoy it at all. Quite a different experience today! There was an 18 year old playing the violin during the interval, she was lovely and the whole experience made me think - you don't get anything worthwhile without putting in the hard work first. It's a thought that keeps coming up at the moment.
        DFL and Babysteps - :goodjob: So lovely having a hangover free Sunday, isn't it! An unheard of thing for me in the past
        Cooper - fair play to ya - tis a tough industry re: drink, but I bet as you go further you will start to notice people who don't drink. Maybe make sure you always have a drink in your own hand to put people off offering you one? Just a thought

Hope everyone is having a lovely sunday xx

ps forgot to look for the turkish biscuits in Tescos today Molly, but there's always tomorrow
        AF since 13th July 2010
        NF since 5th July 2010

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hiya everyone - how y'all doin?
          Hi Neart and Babysteps, and a big big welcome Milly! Great place here, I know that feeling of everyone being fed up of you and shame an all - time to move on girl!! We're all with you!
          They do lunchtime concerts in town (Dublin) on Sundays in the Hugh Lane Gallery - have you ever been Neart? Some are great, some can be mighty boring but I do know Hubs always went on his own when I was drinking so I get your drift! Dinner was gorgeous, lovely having all the lads around me. Everyone has gone home waddling full of beef and pavlova etc. Hubs broke my food mixer this morning and then spilt vegetable oil all over the floor - he was trying to help but I know with a hangover I WOULD HAVE KILLED HIM!! Ended up laughing about it - felt great! Get the book, I haven't finished it yet but she is some lady. She was the youngest qualified barrister ever in Britain and literally hit rock bottom, and her honesty is wonderful - actually it's like listening to lots of folks telling their stories here! Am just getting to the bit where she starts being a chef.
          DFL, how could you not like those biccies
          Actually watchin a good movie at the mo. The Blindside - sweet!
          Molly
          Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
          contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Newbies Nest

Strange.....

Room for one more in the nest? Hi, everyone! I've joined and made a few posts over on the "Sober September Challenge" thread but I have a question that I thought would ask the newbie (and long time) Nesters.

After many, many years of drinking one to two bottles of wine virtually every night *ashamed* I've been AF since August 30 - which is great and on the whole I'm doing well, better than expected actually, except that I often feel that I'm in a lucid dream (especially in the mornings, it gets a bit better as the day progresses) but it feels quite intense at times. I also get the sensation like I've just stepped off a boat...a sort of 'wavy' feeling, like I haven't got my land legs back. Has anyone else had this, and if so how long did it last for? :thanks:

:h
            :heart: AF since 29th August 2010 :heart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning nesters!! Is Fennel around today with the truck? I am starving!!
              Hi Enja :welcome: you are very welcome in the nest! I didn't have that feeling myself, but I think everyone will have a different physical as well as psychological response to coming off AL. Did you go for a check up just to double check your blood pressure and sugar levels? Maybe that's part of it - lots of sugar in wine! Hope you are doing okay x

Morning everyone else too! It's been 2/3 am going to sleep for me the past few nights (much later than normal) so I'm trying to force myself into a better pattern. Not sure what's causing it, although it's not bothering me too much at the moment. Think maybe I'm taking my supps to late at night? This Rhodiola is really perking me up!!

Molly, I haven't been to the lunchtime concerts in the Hugh Lane, but I did go up to the Francis Bacon exhibition when I was in Dublin for my course a few weeks ago. Can't believe that it's free there! I had a lovely time pottering around to different museums and galleries then meeting friends after work. On the Thursday, I felt really low and sorry for myself heading into town, so I bunked off and sat in Bewleys all morning reading a book - happy out So glad the dinner worked out well for you - will you be getting a new Kenwood for Christmas?! Amazing how AL changes all our reactions - it can alter our personalities so much - even when we're not drinking - I know I'm a nightmare when I'm hungover - full of self pity and misery (only like that half the time when sober :H:H)

I saw the Blindside a few months ago, thought it was really sweet. I love happy films!

Well Nora, DFL, Milly, Cooper, Keifer and all other fellow nesters, hope you all have a lovely day, whether it's raining (Ireland) or the sun is shining (most other places)
              AF since 13th July 2010
              NF since 5th July 2010

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome here Enja - was just readin your post over on Sober Sept. I think I know exactly what you're talking about. When I sobered up first I sometimes felt like I was walking up another step on the stairs that wasn't there (d'ya know what I mean?) the other thing that I found quite scary was I sometimes got the words in a sentence muddled up, 'it's a nice isn't it day' sort of thing> I suppose that's when I realised how vulnerable my mind and body were to alcohol. Anyway all that stopped after a few weeks for me anyhow.
                Neart, I remember my BIL who is a bit of a gobshite was brought by his job to see Francis Bacon's bedroom in its natural state (not sure if that's still there?) and he said to hubs after 'you'd think he'd have cleaned it up a bit':H:H. Oh by the way - he fixed the Kenwood (Not my BIL - hubs!)
                How's everyone today - lookin for everyone:excuseme::loveyou::wahh: Where are you all????
                Molly

Comment

Newbies Nest

Haha good one :H:H Well, it's his studio just that is there now - complete chaos!!

I have been wondering too where everyone is - anyone new who pops into the nest must think it's an Irish chocolate lovers forum dedicated to Turkish Delight

Come out, come out, whereever ye are - we miss ye :upset::upset::upset:
                  AF since 13th July 2010
                  NF since 5th July 2010

Comment

Newbies Nest

I had that weird fuzzy feeling for awhile but it just went away and thats when I realized it was gone, so can't say how long I had it. But once it clears up much better. Everyone here has a long weekend but me, I am at work today. Nothing new work all weekday holidays. Thats the fun of caring for people the just don't seem to get better because I need Holiday. But is sure is quiet in the nest! :hallo:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sleeping difficulties?

Morning all -
                      Day 3 for AF but last night was somewhat of a challenge to get to sleep. I did though stay up later than my body felt like it needed but I got engrossed in a movie.
                      Also found that from 4- 7 my cravings are really bad! Wow I was so tempted to go buy that one bottle of wine but realized a) I would pour half down the sink so I wouldn't drink more b) I'd have to start all over again. "I don't drink."
                      Anyway back to sleep - felt all restless and finally at 11:45 (pacific standard time) I got up and took a bit of Melatonin - helped a lot!
                      So here goes the beginning of day 3.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Neart-thanks for applause! - and Molly, welcome Enja, hello Mere and HR and all others,

A beautiful Monday holiday in the US. As this is a holiday weekend here, that may well be the reason its quiet as people often go away....

Mere, I use Melatonin quite often, helps alot. They say it evens out the waves...
                        You Irish gals like your chocolates. I haven't had the Turkish thing, no doubt would like that. I'm rather fond of Crunchie bars myself. I'm just hoping - now that Kraft bought Cadbury some of your candies aren't ruined (use to work there).

I'm so happy to be on day 5! I have printed that list of John's I posted - can't remember now where, on the 15 things to think of when you want to drink, have a copy in my purse, on kitchen counter, and bedroom nightstand. Love the cd's; they really do relax me, though we do need tiime for these things.

I'm working away in my home to clean and clear and prepare to sell - in case I decide to - as it looks like more layoffs are coming. Amazing how much stuff one has and doesn't need by mid life!

Have a great AF day all my newbie friends...
                        From the Sanskrit prayer;

"....For yesterday is but a dream, and tomorrow is only a vision,
                        But today well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a dream of hope."

:catroll:
                        determined to be AF

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nesters,

Just wanted to fly in & wish everyone a Happy Labor Day!
                          Beautiful weather in my neck of the woods, no compalints.

I'm expecting delivery on 25 new day old hatchlings this week to add to my flock - my old hens are wearing out Can't wait til they get here.

Hope everyone has had a good AF Monday.
                          The sober life is the best!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Goodnight folks, really heading to bed - sooooooooooooooooooooooo tired. Lav I need to ask you about chickens. My son gave me two for my birthday and I'm wondering will they ever lay eggs? Can we have a chicken forum or something? Anyway, not tonight, see you all tomorrow
                            Molly

Comment

Newbies Nest

Home from work... Everyone will be back Tues. I take care of a diabetic so used to love chocolate, but have just over the last 5 years, don't really have it. Wish AL would have been so easy. My son leaves for training in Army tomorrow. And the x comes home from Amsterdam. So have 2 bad things same day, I will have to make the plan for night ahead of time. It would be great to start day with a great cup of coffee and maybe eggs/bacon. I'll have to dreamabout it. Hope all is well with all, Can't wait to hear what everyone was up to.

Comment

Newbies Nest

For Molly

Raising BackYard Chickens, Build a Chicken Coop, Pictures of Breeds
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09
                                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                                X