Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Thanks for the encouragement Jolie. I don't believe moderation will work for me either, I've tried that about a 1000 times too and I always end up in my same cycle.

I noticed some people here have talked about medications or supplements that help. I've never tried this and I wonder if anyone has advice in this regard.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Simon,
      I understand and can identify everything you talked about here. It's hard. The hardest part for me was deciding to give up completely, I could not believe I could never have a drink of wine again, never have a rum. I talked to people here and fced the fact that it was true. I could never drink alcohol again. It's been six months now and I find it easier to not drink alcohol. I have found friends that do not push me to drink and new friends who also do not drink. I am told I look much healthier, my skin has a healthy glow. I sleep well and wake up bright and fresh, and I LOVE THAT.
      I can attribute all this to the people on this website and the book, My Way Out.
      I hope you come here often and know you can talk to us about anything. Stay healthy and look forward to a morning waking up and feeling terrific.
      Tant
      Tant
      AF since 12 April 2010

Comment

Newbies Nest

Simon, I tried seriously to quit on my own also. I read at least 5 books - one of them on moderation which did not work for me. I truly believe the reason I failed before was because I had no support - no one going through the same thing I was experiencing -- no one I could open up with. Here, everyone is in the same boat, so you're immediately comfortable and not alone.

I've been given some great advice already and this will be day 8 AF for me. I have ordered the book, the abstinence tapes, and L-Glut for cravings. I've benefitted greatly from reading virtually everything on the website.

Post often - it will help you!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi every1. I am om on topaman @ 150mg a day and don't get any cravings at all. I was a serious binge drinker and once I started I just didn't stop, sometimes 4 48 hrs. Al was a real upper 4 me like speed. It just kept me awake until there was nothing else left to drink. I also take the supplements and they help heaps with keeping me on my body healthy feeling. I did have some side effects with the topamax and had to go on a low dose of antidrepressent because I just got felt sad after a few weeks but it all even out and it can be one of the side affects of the topamax but it has been woth it because I have no desire to drink. And the depression after the up of a binge was much darker than anything I felt on the topamax I can tell u that much!! I hope everyone is doing well. Metal
          Peaceout!!!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just wanted to drop by and tell everyone in the nest hello. Welcome to all the newbies. This Nest is a wonderful place to be.
            Metal - great that the Topa is helping you!!
            "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
            AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello everyone. I wanted to drop by the nest & welcome any newbies. This is a great place where everyone is very supportive. If you are searching for people that understand just pull up a twig.
              :welcome::welcome:
              AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hiya Nora, glad to see you've bumped this thread up, for anyone who is struggling in the early days of dumping the booze this is a brilliant thread - it saved my life, literally I think. Come on any newbies and not so newbies and get your asses in here!!
                Molly
                Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Newbies Nest

Mere, here back again! Went to baptisms out of state and ended up drinking again. I've got to quit fooling myself - I really abuse wine. I've been following another newbie and she was sharing all the "reflection" and "soul searching" she is doing around her alcohol. It's encouraged me to do the same. I don't want to be a failed human because I can't lick my excuse to drink because of all the things that I happened when I was growing up to "boo hooing" because I'm alone. I feel so alive when I'm not drinking! My confidence soars and I'm proud of my life.
                  Back to day 1 for me!

Comment

Newbies Nest

i've been reading this site for 3 days straight now so I guess it's time to 'just do it'. Day 1 for me. Question though, can anyone tell me the quantities suggested for L-Glutamine and Kudzu. Also do I need to take them early in the day or just in the later afternoon since that's when my cravings are?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Candotoo - Welcome and glad that you have jumped into the nest.

For myself - I took the L-Glutamine powder and I used it 2-3 times a day. A spoonful in a small glass of juice or water. I especially used it in the later afternoon and in the evening because that's when my cravings were. If you are taking a pill form, then I would imagine 1 around lunch time, 1 around afternoon and another in the evening.
                      The Kudzu I took one in the morning and then one in the later afternoon.(Serving size: as a dietary supplement, take one to three capsules three times daily with water. Each 300 mg. capsule contains kudzu root (Pueri lobata) and kudzu root extract comprised of 19% pueriarin, 4% daidzin, and 2% daidzen (minimum 25% isoflavanoids.) )

I hope that some others join in here and give their advise. That was just what was working for me.

Here's some info from the site:
                      Kudzu Serving size: as a dietary supplement, take one to three capsules three times daily with water. Each 300 mg. capsule contains kudzu root (Pueri lobata) and kudzu root extract comprised of 19% pueriarin, 4% daidzin, and 2% daidzen (minimum 25% isoflavanoids.)

L-Glutamine may be taken on a daily basis, or kept on hand to manage "craving emergencies" in which the powder from half a 1,000 capsule is poured directly under the tongue.
                      Recommended dose: 1-3 capsules per day, preferably between meals.
                      2,000 mg. of L-Glutamine, divided daily, is recommended to decrease the craving for alcohol. Many inpatient centers use higher doses--up to three or four times as much--when treating their clients. Numerous studies have documented that glutamine is well tolerated and has limited or no side effects unless used in massive doses.

Take care & glad to meet you!!!!!!!
                      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks so much for the info NoraC. I think I'll try both starting today and see. I was just wandering because I don't even think of drinking until 5 p.m. or so. I'm actually excited about starting this because of this site. It gives me something to look forward to.

Comment

Newbies Nest

I never started drinking until about that time either. I started thinking about it earlier though. I liked to be sure to take my L-Glutamine an hour or so before I left work for the day. Keep me from stopping off at the store.
                          I'm so glad you found this site. This place has saved my life.
                          AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Newbies Nest

Crikey Nora, you're a font of information - I've never tried any of them, but someone was saying that L-glut helps with sugar cravings as well, and apparently - I don't know the whys or wherefores, sugar is best avoided if you are an alkie? someone help me here, I'm a bit out of my depth. Anyway, welcome Candotoo, lovely to see the nest inhabited again, hope some more newbies come along and take posession of this great place!
                            Molly
                            Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                            contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Newbies Nest

hello

is this the place to start?:new:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone - back to square one again. aim to make it to friday night when i will have 2 drinks only. sick of this... x

1st goal: 100 days
                                2nd goal: 1 year
                                ultimate goal: forever

Comment

Working...
                                X