Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hill, I'm totally with you on focusing on being healthy now. Honestly, I don't think I'll ever go back to either smoking or drinking. Luckily, like you, I wasn't a heavy smoker - just a few a day. I don't want to get complacent, though, because I see so many people fall back into the rut. I hope you'll continue to post, because we need to hear from people who are successful in their sobriety. I promise you, though, right now even if I could moderate, I wouldn't. The small amount I would have to drink to stay within a sane guideline just wouldn't melt my butter in the least, if ya know what I mean. I drink to get the major buzz and the major buzz wrecks me the next day. Really simple when you boil it down - it's just keeping the part of my brain that ever thinks of drinking as a good thing in check. And, I don't miss the smokes at all! Anyway, glad to be on this healthy journey with you. Hoping we gave up the harmful stuff before it had time to do any permanent damage!! Oh, and Hill, just an aside. My husband and I plan to visit Canada some day. We almost made it our last vacation. If you had never been to Canada, where would you go? I know that's a very open-ended question, but as far as experiencing the natural beauty, would you go? Just some ideas if you have time.

FB, MM, hope you guys are still feeling securing in how things are going for you and that you're having a good week.

Nellie, Sam - are you guys still here? Haven't heard from either of you in a while.

Big hugs to all,
    Choochie

Comment

Newbies Nest

good morning all , was not around much yesterday but good to read most newbies are doing well hopefully wagoneer 24 hour bug will soon pass. great post choochie about PAWS good to read . how are you keeping fighting back what is your plan for the weekend
      AF 5/jan/2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello everyone

Choochie, I am definitely going to get that Allen Carr book, it certainly sounds as though it has made a big difference to how you think about AL, and that can only be a good thing! Well done on your healthy lifestyle!

And you too hillside!

Madmans, I just noticed you are in Ireland, top of the morning to ye

My plan for the weekend is pretty much keeping busy and away from situations that could trigger anything. I managed it last weekend which gave me a huge boost. My OH was here and will be this weekend too, he doesn't do the drinking thing and we'll probably go out for a meal on Saturday and maybe to the pictures or something.

Feeling strong, happy and optimistic, hope you all are too! Have a fabulous AL free (and hangover free!) weekend everyone :l

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yep i'm from dear old ireland ,I'm right on the west coast looking at the sea now , It's nice now but some days the wind blows that hard it could cut you in two. sound's like a good plan for the weekend . As always ODAT
          AF 5/jan/2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning Everyone,

FB - I'm so glad to hear that you'll read the book. It really is the biggest single thing I've read that has changed my thinking, which has kept me sober (and happy to be there -- not white-knucking it at all). I'm not sure if you plan to moderate at some point down the road, but I think you owe it to yourself to read the book before you compromise your sober days. It really is harder to stop and start - changes the chemistry in your brain. So, when you keep getting on and off the roller coaster it makes things more difficult in the long run. Anyway, I'm just so glad that you've achieved success so far and are continuing to come back to the site.:l

Madmans, you sound good. Glad you enjoyed the article I posted -- good stuff, huh?! Hill - chatted with you on another thread this morning!

Hope you guys have a wonderful weekend,

Choochie

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone, I hope you are having a great weekend. There is an interesting post, in just starting out, about the anxiety of the upcoming holiday season, that you might enjoy looking at.

Choochie, you really should come for a holiday to Canada. You really can't go wrong, pick a Province, and there is so much to see and do. If you would like to come ice fishing with me and my kids, come for a visit to northern Ontario. There really is so much beauty in the nature, the culture, and the way of life in each region of Canada - come and check us out - this includes all of you from oversees as well.

Madmans, I am of Irish Heritage - my great grandfather came to Canada from Ireland. Fighting back, I hope that you succeed in your plan of staying away from triggers and situations that may lead you to being very tempted to drink.
              Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy Saturday everyone. I am off to do some Christmas shopping and maybe treat myself to an expensive pair of boots I have had my eye on.....I figure with the money I have saved on AL the last couple of weeks I can actually afford them!

Stay strong and happy my friends and enjoy your weekend :l

Comment

Newbies Nest

FB - I've been spending lots of AL savings money on great things that I've been needing. I think rewarding ourselves is important - gives us incentive. Yesterday I treated myself to a golf lesson. My husband loves golf and I'm going to give it a whirl. Didn't do too great, but trying to learn the virtue of patience.

Hill - I would love to come to Canada and you are so sweet to extend an invitation to ice fish. You are lucky to live in such a beautiful place! It would be a while before we could take a vacation (my husband just started back to work after surgery) but it really is on our list of places we want to go. I think I told you we almost went there on our last vacation. Can't remember what changed our minds. We tend to always go to the great outdoors on our vacations and I think we changed to doing more of a city type vacation. Then, some things changed (health issue with hubs) and we didn't go at all. Anyway, I will definitely let you know when we decide to get to your part of the world.

Madmans there are tons of people on the site from Ireland - not sure if you've run across them on other threads??

Anyway All, have a wonderful AF day.

Hugs,
                  Choochie:l

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi All-it's been quite a while since I posted in the Nest. Lots of new "faces" which is great! The nest is at it's best filled to capacity!!
                    EVerything is fine with me-learning new things about being AF every day and as DG says, peeling the layers of the onion one by one.
                    Are the velcro straps and suits still available? The holidays are fast approaching and I might need to borrow one or two!!
                    I started my journey in the Nest and it literally saved my life!!
                    Well, it was nice to pop in and say hi. Have a great weekend everyone!!
                    :l
                    New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Pap - so good to see you visiting here!! :thanks:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lav checking in too

The Nest was my favorite hangout for a long, long time!

Best wishes to all the Newbies - greetings to Choochie & Papmom

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Lav - love seeing you and Pap here. Remember, the newbies can't do it without the sage advice and example you guys set. Thanks for stopping by this thread.:thanks:

Comment

Newbies Nest

just checking in on Day One - I need this
                            Last drink 6th September 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

:welcome:Softy, we've all been where you're at, so don't be afraid to ask questions. Can you tell us a little about yourself? I'm posting a few links here that might help you get started.

There is so much information on this site if you'll take the time to explore. The people are wonderful and will be there for you.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...hol-46271.html

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...ing-22609.html

Hugs,
                              Choochie:l

Comment

Newbies Nest

Many thanks I see you spotted my other post so I guess you know my full life story by now finding this forum may well just provide the crutch I need to get my life back on track. I keep looking back at my first post and find it hard to believe it is me I am writing about. If I am day eight this time next week I will treat myself to steak and chips!!! Now threes a plan!
                                Last drink 6th September 2013

Comment

Working...
                                X