Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

MM- I just had two outings with others who were drinking when I wasn't. Would you believe it's the first time I can remember ever being sober when around others drinking? Crazy! Anyway, my sister was pretty toasted at Thanksgiving dinner. And, while I love her more than life, I didn't envy her. You know, I didn't have that desire to drink - which was fantastic - my first time ever. So glad you're getting there too. This was my biggest fear - that I wouldn't be able to be in social situations without drinking!!

Choochie:l

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Guys. I'm new and thought I'd come to Newbies Nest to read lots of posts. Very good to hear so many of you made it through Thanksgiving without drinking. That must feel great. Choochie, I notice you're a relative newcomer so it's great to hear the cravings will subside in a couple of months...I really don't know what to expect as I've never made it past 21 days. I plan to this time, though. Thanks for the positive posts everyone.

Comment

Newbies Nest

ML - it can be done - all the materials are available for you here, along with emotional support. We'll always be around to help so just shout out when you need something! Don't forget L-glutamine for the cravings (you can buy it on this site) along with other supplements esp B vitamins), water with lemon, exercise, etc. etc. (tips abound just read, read, read).

Choochie:l

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thank you! I am learning a lot.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi mylife, and welcome. I like the quote as your signature. Perhaps you could tell us a little about your goals, and yourself. We are here for you.
            Hill
            Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Anyone mind if I join you? I'm just coming to the end of day 2 again. I'm a bit worried about quitting the grog at this time of year but I am sick and tired of being in a drunk / depressed cycle.
              CW

One Small Step for Man, One Giant Leap for Mankind.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Mylife and Charlotte's Web .I'd just like to say hi and i can see you have already got some good advice on here lately. You can break the cycle if you really want to , the first few days are the worst but so worth it. ODAT
                AF 5/jan/2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning, fellow Nestlings.

It's a gorgeous, sober sunny morning here in Australia. I didn't get to sleep until gone 2.00 am but at least I am not hungover.

Catch up later xx
                  CW

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi CW!
                    Congrats on Day 2 :goodjob:
                    I wanted to respond to your post because I had the same reservations about quitting during "this time of year." And then I had the realization that that was just another excuse to put it off; that there will ALWAYS be times of the year -- hell, every week of the year -- where there are "reasons" (or excuses) to drink; that we can never escape that reality.

Have you ever been to the Rational Recovery website? (google it...I can't remember the exact address) It is a very interesting way to look at addiction. The main thrust is that we need to learn to recognize our "Addictive Voice", the part of us that talks us into drinking. Jack Trimpey (the founder) says that ANY thought that supports further using is the addictive voice. So the part of you that is trying to decide whether now is the right time to quit is your Addictive Voice speaking to you, and it is threatened by the notion that you might be putting the brakes on things.

It is an interesting and empowering way to look at things. If you haven't yet been to the site, it's worth checking out Yet another tool in your toolbox!

Best to you, CW...I know you can do this!
                    "No matter what happens, be fearless!"
                    Sam - AF since 12/11/10

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening. I'm finishing up day 2 AF. Hill, just saw your post - I've been so busy reading all the threads all today I haven't been back to this one until now. My goal is abstinence. I have tried moderating over the past couple years and it just doesn't work for me. I think in the past I felt if I just "broke the habit" I would go back to being a "normal"drinker. But it hasn't happened. I'm tired of the struggle and, frankly I'm tired of wine! I've also recently faced the fact that I'm an Alcoholic, maybe in early stages, but anyone hiding bottles and drinking daily is an Alcoholic. I needed to face that to start really solving the problem. I just hope that someday I won't think about AL all the time. I hope that day happens soon, but whatever it takes, I don't want this negative energy in my life anymore. Thanks for listening, this is a really great site.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi All,

Sam - Thanks for the RR details. There's now a separate post about this in the General Section and I have put my comments there. I had already typed a reply to you, then the power went! Aaargh.

It does make a huge amount of sense.
                        CW

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello everyone, I hope you had a great weekend.

Mylife, from what you write, it sounds like saying goodbye to alcohol is the right thing for you. Once I went sober, I used to really get frustrated about how much I thought about alcohol, and how much it affects my life. This changed for me as time went by. I don't think about it nearly as much. Guilt trips about stupid things I have done still come and go often. Social stress sometimes around my not drinking still arises sometimes. The daily thinking about my life and new habits and the urges to drink, these are almost gone now. So have faith, things will change in time. Hold fast, you can do it.
                          Hill
                          Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Newbies Nest

HI Hillsidetime and all that may follow had a good weekend here plenty of snow but no alcohol so that's good enough for me
                            AF 5/jan/2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Greetings nestlings!
                              I haven't been around for a while but back to kick some serious butt now. Great to see so many new faces (well.. read new user names, I suppose) - glad you all found your way into the nest!

Happy Monday!
                              Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Sunshine nice to meet you
                                AF 5/jan/2011

Comment

Working...
                                X