X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

Everyone looks bright & happy this morning

dancingon - I remember people not noticing and/or not making any comments when I quit drinking as well. It was kind of puzzling until I realized they didn't know what to say so they said nothing! Actually, I think that was just as well. Keep up the great job!

Wishing you the best today vintage girl! Stay close to the threads & let us know how you are doing

Greetings doyourdream, mauritius, Jolie, Blondie & everyone.
    Hope you have a terrific AF Tuesday.

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks for the great advice Jolie and lavande, really appreciated. Off to work now, no AL in the house for me to come home to in nine hours time! Just skimmed this thread, you guys are all doing so well and it's really inspiring me to do this today. Well done to you all, I'll be posting and reading more when I get home! :thanks:

Comment

Newbies Nest

To vintage Girl

You know, as you begin your day 1..... feeling scared and hopeful...there's someone reading your post....who is drinking him/herself to death but afraid to take that first step....you don't realize it, but you have inspired a bunch of people today, and will continue to do so. Share your thoughts and deeds, they do more than you know. An offhand comment that Jolie made has helped me thru these 13 big days, and I hope that I can hold someone's hand and help them thru this fire pit. This is the longest I've been AF in 25 years!!!! It gets better every day and the voices aren't as loud now as they were. (the A-voices) You have come to the right place, pull up a twig and make yourself comfy, you couldn't be in better company.
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

A very valid point Byrdlady about posts, all posts. It was the people who posted on this site before i joined who got me here. I lurked from afar afraid to post sober then did one night drunk , next day i was ashamed to even look at the computer but i did and the welcome replies got me in the door. ( and no it wasn't a double door just in case....anyone was going to ask )
          AF 5/jan/2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Whatever gets you here, right MM?
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thank you so much, I really appreciate the helpful comments and support. Proud to report that it is now my witching hour, no AL in the house and no way of getting any. My decision not to buy any AL to come home to was a big one for me as i always panicked at the thought of there being none, but tricked myself into thinking I could have it in the house and not drink it. Byrdlady, Jolie also posted earlier in the thread and her comments among others have kept me strong today. I can't thank all of you enough!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening nesters!

MM - ha ha! I wasn't going to ask

Birdlady - how true your words are. We initially come here only looking for help and don't even realize that just by telling our story, we are helping others. Very insightful and it humbles me to think that something I said has helped you to resist temptation. Before I start getting all mushy, I feel like we are true friends and I thank you for your kind words.

Good for you Mauri for not letting stress lead you to drink - you are doing great!

Blondie my friend, So glad to hear you are doing well - you are always so positive and optomistic - here's to more dinners out (without the AL!)

Lav - sorry to say it looks like a blizzard is heading your way - no? We are only supposed to get freezing rain (not that I like that any better than snow!) Stay warm!

Hope I didn't miss anyone - but hope everyone has a great evening! I know I will - 30 days today and I honestly never thought I would make it!
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Jolie Awesome .....keep going!!!

I think I'm in the freezing rain predicted area as well. The weather forecasters are goofy, aren't they??
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning everyone, I hope that you have a great day.

Jolie, awesome work on your 31 days! One month just sounds and feels great. You should be proud of yourself. Thanks for showing the new nesters that it can be done.

Hill
                    Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning nest!

Jolie -- good job!!! :goodjob:

Hope everyone is staying warm! I've heard weather in the Northeast and basically the entire north is just awful right now! Sorry to report it was 75 (Farenheit) and sunny here yesterday...!! Don't worry, we will get our turn at misery this summer.

Have a great AF day all!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning all!

Thanks everyone for the well-wishes on 30 days - feels great and I don't intend to stop there!

Lav - glad to hear you weren't in line for the blizzard. Just rain for us today - no white-knuckle drive into work (which is good).

Hope everyone is doing well this ground-hogs day! We can only pray that winter will soon be over.

So - I'd like to share a little something and I'm wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing. Lost close to 3 pounds after the first week and a half and attributed that to giving up the nightly "wine diet". Weather is crappy outside - haven't exercised at all - feel like I deserve a reward for staying AF so chocolate is a staple now in my house. Put 2 of the 3 pounds back on. Arghhhhh! Think I need to look at what I'm eating and treat it the same way I did when I decided to stop with the wine. Maybe I need to find something else to reward myself with?

Can't be too upset - Soooo much better off than I was 30 days ago and when the weather turns, I can go back to my long walks outside - only this time THEY WILL BE SOBER!!!

Have a great day everyone!
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

Grateful to have heat & power on considering the ice formations outside

Jolie, I think most of us have run into the sugar for AL substitute situation - no kidding. The chemical make up of the two are very similar. I didn't lose a single pound when I quit drinking & couldn't figure out why for the longest time until someone pointed out the sugar thing! I never craved sweets when I was drinking! It took me a while but I finally got it under control - geez!

mylife, enjoy your near perfect weather! I've been in Florida in July & August - holy cow!!!

Hill - you are coming up on your 1 year anniversary - excellent! I hope you plan to treat yourself to something nice

I wish everyone a wonderful AF Hump day!
                          Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters! Welcome Vintage Girl! Nice to have you here and good job on not buying AL to have in the house...very wise move and I'm sure it has paid off immensely!

It is so true that our stories reach out to those not registered on this board...just think of how we all were affected before we actually became members. I was on here for about a week, reading posts and thinking about joining. Then I decided to write my first post and am so glad I did! Now it's been 26days AF and an unbelieveable change in my life in all positive ways. I am so grateful.

Jolie-don't get discourage on the few pounds...our bodies fluctuate in weight, fluid, so many factors, it could have just been the wrong day to step on the scale. I weigh myself every morning and my weight can fluctuate 2-3 lbs even though my diet is pretty predictable these days. Chocolate is the food of the Gods, but maybe cut back on half of the chocolate you are having each day and see if that helps? Drinking pure water helps flush out toxins and any fluid you may be holding. Drinking ice water, albeit hard to do in this weather, burns calories just in the fact that our bodies "warm" it up in the digestive tract! You are right on the walking...once the Spring rolls around, we can all get out more. It's hard to walk around here for me with the big snow banks and black ice. In nicer weather, I try to walk my dog for at least 45 minutes a day. And then there's gardening in the Spring...the exercise I never notice until I'm done and exhausted...lol. Seem to lose track of time in the garden. Ahhh, can't wait for those days. Anyway, maybe there is another exercise option for you until Spring?

Have a great day everyone! Loving the view from up here...flying high in February!
                            Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
                            :h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Jolie, from my point of view, it's amazing to be attempting any major life change in the middle of winter, so I say it's worth a couple of pounds if we can get through it. This winter especially has been so challenging here and many other places as well, I know. Once the weather shifts and you are walking, it's bound to have good effect. Best wishes to you on your journey.

As I've mentioned, the challenges in my situation tend to situate only around relationships and weekends, so I admire all of you so much. Having some sense of the struggle is enough to make me want to give all of you a big hug.

Have a good Wednesday. I'm still recovering from this cold. Now it's -3 degrees in Mn. Oh boy!

Comment

Newbies Nest

When do the cravings begin to subside?

Day 13. Yesterday was EASY!!!! I'm so happy to report, that hubs was out of town and I had the perfect opportunity to have myself a high old time....but I didn't! The voices weren't as loud or as often, so day 13 was the day that I think I turned the corner. I feel good! I certainly haven't lost any weight...I am rewarding myself by saying, look, you can have anything in the world you want, except AL...now I need to reel myself in a bit and stop eating everything in sight. Finally finished off the last of the Christmas cookies I had in the freezer. For the first time in years, I feel like I'm getting control of my life, and it feels really good! ODAT! I could NOT have done it without this site.
                                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                                Tool Box
                                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
                                X