Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

this might sound ridiculous but for the first couple of days I had spicy japanese style quicksoup as soon as I came in the door from work ... this broke my routine of "Oh now I'm home so its time to prepare dinner and pour a nice large glass of wine" .. so I sat down and had the soup (not as alluring I agree ) but it kinda got me over that moment, then I started tidying out cupboards .. anything just to distract myself from actually pouring the wine. And like I said earlier, I seem to have spent most of last week in bed out of harms way :H
    AF since 27th February 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters!

Welcome to wine is not divine & Mema! So glad you both found the Nest
      If you haven't already, be sure to read the MWO book. It's full of info for you about the program, you can download it right from the Health store here. Look in the https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html for great ideas to help you make your plan.

It's amazing how many of us were wine drinkers. I fooled myself for years thinking 'It's just wine, it can't hurt'. Well, I sure found out differently when it took over my life. I quit 2 years ago this month & have never regretted my decision. I am much happier, healthier & anxiety free You both can do it too!

My preference these days (believe it or not) is decaf green tea. I drink it hot or cold, unsweetened as I never like sweet drinks anyway. I also keep a big supply of herbal teas onhand, all flavors. You will find something you like, keep experimenting!

mylive, leavein silence, prancy & vintage girl - hope you all had a great day too. We have a very nice group of nesters right now - love hearing from you.

Wishing everyone a comfy night!
      Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy Sunday Nesters!

Today is mild but dreary here in New England. But that's OK...I'll take mild over 20 degrees and windy any day of the winter!

As for AL substitutes at night...my favorite is flavored seltzer (my brand of choice up here is called Polor Seltzer). It comes in a whole slew of natural flavors like pomegranite, pink grapefruit, lemon, etc. It is calorie free yet isn't one of those artificially sweetened sodas that have splenda or asparatame. I put it on ice with a squeeze of lemon sometimes and it really hits the spot. I even drink it out of a wine glass if I feel the need to hold a glass (out of habit). Plus, it's carbonated water, so it's not half bad for you too boot! Then I have dinner followed by a nice cup of herbal tea. It seems to be working to fend off any cravings when they do arise!

I've been having dreams at nightly lately that I have gone back to drinking. Very bizarre and would you believe I am so happy when I wake up in the morning and find out that it's not true? Or maybe I haven't drank in the dream but was thinking about it...tempted. Weird!

Last night, DH and I went shopping for some stuff for our vacation to Jamaica at the end of March. We both got new bathing suits (and I'll have to say, standing there in the flourescent, unkind dressing room mirror), that my bikini didn't look half bad! I have definitely seen improvement in my body now that I have stopped drinking. I've lost about 5 solid pounds and am less bloated. I look less tired, evening after a busy day at work. Love this new me!

Have a great day everyone!
        Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
        :h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning nesters!

Rain in my part oif the nest too Blondie - better than snow!!

Drinking & smoking dreams have plagued most of us at one time or another but thankfully they've stopped for me. It is so disappointing to wake up thinking Oh no - I've messed up again But the pride kicks in when you realize that was just a dream!

Have to go figure out what to cook for dinner, expecting my 2 year old grandson & his parents today

Wishing everyone a great AF Sunday!
          Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Goodmorning nesters, I hope that you are having a great weekend.

Blondie, congratulations on your 62 days. I found that after two months, the strength, and frequency of the urges to drink started to go down. I really hope that is the case for you too! I still get the drinking and smoking dreams, they are truly interesting (nice to wake up sober for sure).

Prancy, good call on the sweet drinks. The best thing I have found is club soda and a little bit of grapefruit juice added in, with ice of course. Try this, I bet you might like it.

Lav, how are things? 2 year old grand son, I recommend sliced cantelope, and noodles and sauce (my kids loved this).

Have a great day ,
            Hill
            Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good afternoon Nesters!

Lav, it sounds like you enjoy your children and granchildren so much, that's so great! There is so much enjoyment in life when we are AF.

Hill, that is so funny you drink Club Soda with a little grapefruit juice. I drink that all the time and thought I was the only one! My husband even started drinking it -- so tasty!

Blonde, I think we have all had those drinking dreams. For me it is just so great to wake up and realize it was only a dream!

I got up early today with the sun and went for a power-walk with my Ipod. I"m glad I did it early as it's now looking like rain.

Have a wonderful AF day everyone!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters
                Prancy, we should start a 'non alcohol' cocktail thread. But I suppose the pubs would charge a fortune for anything like that. I tend to just drink fizzy water but even that costs an arm and a leg!

Hill, I love grapefruit and I love club soda, just never thought of putting them together, gonna try that tonight!

Lav, hope you have a wonderful time with the family.

Blonde, I dreamed I was drunk the other night and leaned over a candle and set fire to my hair in the dream! Phew, I was so relieved when I woke up sober and with hair!

Good job on the power walking mylife, me and hubby had a bit of a lie-in and then I went for a run, thankfully no rain here today.

Wine, mema, great to see you here! As for what to drink at 5 instead of wine, I like a cup of herbal tea. I actually tell myself that if I drink tea it has a calming effect, whether that's true or not I don't know but it seems to work.

To all my fellow nestlings hope you are enjoying a fantastic AL free Sunday, off to eat my dinner!

Comment

Newbies Nest

I like cranberry juice and usually have a glass at 5ish, but it's not something you can drink all night. I drink too much coffee, and a couple of herbal teas to reduce the coffee intake. Oh and water with lemon in it. I'm not a fan of sweet drinks either, but also not a fan of fizzy drinks. I like the sound of grapefruit and soda though. I believe you can get non-alcohol wine. Graham Kerr used to use it on TV after he stopped drinking. But I've never seen it in the shops and have no idea what it tastes like.
                  Sunshine here today, but summer is over for sure. It's getting really cold at night, and over the weekend we had the first dusting of snow on the Alps, even though it's only the first week of autumn.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks for the good ideas on what to sip when out to dinner. I usually go with soda, with a splash of cranberry and a splash of orange juice. I will try soda and grapefruit. That actually sounds good. I have tried nonalcoholic wine. It is drinkable but not nearly as tasty as the real stuff! Also, nonalcoholic beer can help if they have it.

Comment

Newbies Nest

some great ideas for alternative drinks, thanks. Can someone please tell me what is club soda? is it soda water (fizzy water) - I like the idea of grapefruit juice and soda water. Will try that next! Had a good giggle at I think it was Ronker? 's post saying now that she is off the AL she is not as bloated and that it was probably her liver deflating! 10 out of 10 for that one! Night night, tomorrow is day 9, looking forward to waking up clear eyed and clear headed
                      AF since 27th February 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

:thanks:So many great ideas! Thank you.I haven't tried grapefruit and seltzer so that is on my grocery list right now.
                        I hope everyone is having a wonderful evening.

Thanks for welcoming me to the nest.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters!

Great news from everyone today , congrats

Fizzy water = club soda = seltzer (pretty much

Had a good dinner with the kids. The 2 year enjoyed baked porks chops, garlic mashed red potatoes & applesauce, believe it or not :H He currently refuses to eat anything 'green'.

Hope everyone is settled in for a good night!
                          Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning nesters!

Lav - thanks for the clarification! I was wondering myself. I've been drinking cranberry juice topped with a little club soda but was wondering if all the other things that are sold right next to the club soda were the same.

Windy here today - but sunny. At least no snow where I am.

Hey dancing - just wondering - why can't you drink cranberry juice all night?

One more of the benefits of not drinking - no more getting up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom! (sorry if this is TMI ) but when you are drinking until 9:30 - 10:00 at night - it's bound to happen!

Hope everyone has a great Monday!
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning everyone! Hope this finds you all having a wonderful Monday. Rainy here but mild. I'll take it!

VG-I like the idea of starting an AF drink thread...by the sounds of it, we all have some pretty good ideas!

Liver Deflating...that is such a powerful visual. And I bet there is some truth to it!

Jolie-I know whatcha mean about getting up throughout the night for the bathroom. I don't miss those days. My pattern would be to wake up at 3AM by the AL alarm clock, get up to use the bathroom, and then not be able to fall back asleep for a few hours. I realize now how sleep deprived I was, as that happened to me almost every night! Now, I may get up once in a while, but not every night as before, and if I do, I am able to fall back asleep, no problem. It's so much better!

Have a great day everyone!
                              Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
                              :h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nest!

It's a bit cloudy here but not too chilly. Hope you're all off to a wonderful AF Monday!

Blonde, Jolie -- yes I think we all had those wakeups in the past! Also, I used to keep a big tumbler of water next to the bed for when I would wake up dehydrated. Now if I bring a glass of water to bed it's usually full in the morning.

Have a fantastic AF day all!

Comment

Working...
                                X