• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Thanx Lavande, will try downloading MWO book and look in toolbox

Comment

Newbies Nest

Beachbump

I practice the Buddha's teachings and follow the 8 fold path to enlightenment. Did you just start practicing Buddhism? I've been practicing for about 7 years.
      You always succeed if you never stop trying.
      Everyday we choose the direction of change.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey everybody, not such a great day today, held off on the drinking til 6.15 but am having just a bad day in general. Caught my brother dealing drugs again, having to tell my mother what he's doing always breaks my heart a little. He's also given up using drugs himself lately - unfortunately that has resulted in him becoming borderline suicidal. Also letting myself get stressed out about my college application and workload - its things like this that make me wonder how I'll be able to cope sober. I feel in desparate need of some stability in my life, right now it seems AL is the only constant...
        I have faced it, a life wasted, and I am never going back there again

To ya'll my name is inchy. I am an alcoholic - and priority number one is making it to the end of this day AF. No excuses.

Comment

Newbies Nest

I printed off a 33% coupon off borders ( bookstore) and bought allen carrs book. I've seen it mentioned here several times and was cheaper than the mwo book.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Jennyneric. No I want to start practising Buddhism but don't know where to start. This 8 fold path - can I download it from internet? I read a lot about Buddhism and a few years ago I attend a workshop. I also visited a few countries where Buddhism is practises and there way of living intrigues me and I feel I can identify with it. From time to time I try mediate but battle with it. Because I'm very motivated to stop my alcohol abuse I need to get myself on a path that can help me get through this and find the real meaning of my life.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Beachbump, I have a copy of Deepak Chopra's 'Seven Sprirtual Laws of Succes's - you may be interested in it too.
              Seven Spiritual Laws of Success
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

InChains;1082510 wrote: Hey everybody, not such a great day today, held off on the drinking til 6.15 but am having just a bad day in general. Caught my brother dealing drugs again, having to tell my mother what he's doing always breaks my heart a little. He's also given up using drugs himself lately - unfortunately that has resulted in him becoming borderline suicidal. Also letting myself get stressed out about my college application and workload - its things like this that make me wonder how I'll be able to cope sober. I feel in desparate need of some stability in my life, right now it seems AL is the only constant...
                Sorry you have had a bad day honey, sounds like you have a lot to deal with other than yourself and fighting the hold AL has over you, yes AL seems your only constant and is for now, but shaking him off makes you stronger and one day you wonder how you coped with all the stress when you were drinking..

Tomorrow is another day, just take it one step at a time
                :l
                WHAT CAN I SAY? I DON'T WANT TO PLAY ANYMORE..

Just taking it day by day.......

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks very much leave, i needed to hear something positive today

well done on your 28 days
                  I have faced it, a life wasted, and I am never going back there again

To ya'll my name is inchy. I am an alcoholic - and priority number one is making it to the end of this day AF. No excuses.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hang in there Inchains. Stick close to us - you certainly have a lot on your plate at present. x
                    I finally got it!
                    "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think, we become" Buddah

Comment

Newbies Nest

IC,
                      I'm sorry, I didn't see your post!
                      You certainly do sound as if you have a lot on your plate tight now. But honestly, AL will only serve to numb your feelings for a short while then leave you feeling like crap.
                      Your brother needs to take care of his problems, you need to take care of yours. You can't help him if you don't take care of yourself first!
                      Keep your focus on what is good for you right now. Focus on your college application & being healthy. Who knows, just maybe your brother will notice & follow your example. Don't feel responsible for him, just for yourself & do what you need to do for you

leaveinsilence, congrats on your 28 AF days, that's great
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Buddhism - The Four Noble Truths, The Eightfold Path, Karma and Meditation Practice

Beachbump, Buddhism, IMHO, is more of a life style and less of a religion. Meditation is a very hard thing to do. You have to learn to quite your mind. Yoga is the closest I have come. Try it you might like it.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning nesters.

Welcome Beachbump, good luck with finding the path that you seek. I don't know much about Buddhism but have practiced yoga, like Jenny says, it can be calming for mind and body and might help you while you look for help in giving up AL, let us know how you get on

Piper, Allen Carr's book will give you a whole new perspective on how AL has influenced our lives and the false perceptions created around it. I got a lot out of that book, hope you do too!

Leave, nice to see you are still going strong and being so supportive to others too, we all need it!

Lav, great advice again hun, thank you for always being in the nest and helping out. It's always great to see what you have to say about things. Annniversary soon, yes? :thumbs:

IC, just wanted to add to what everyone else has said; you are trying to make major changes to your life in the middle of all that's going on. Stay positive about your college application and about the changes you are making to your drinking. It might not all happen at once, but it will happen! Hippy is right, stay close to us! :l:l

Well, it is hump day again already! the weeks are flying past so quickly and the weather is a lot milder at last. I hope everyone is feeling spring-like, strong and positive today, and if not, share with us and hopefully someone will post something that will help.

I have gotten such a lot out of this thread, sometimes right when I really needed it, so keep it going guys! :l

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

Dark & cloudy here this morning, made me oversleep

Hope everyone is having a good Hump day!

vintage girl, I totally agree with you - the Nest is a very comfortable place for newbies while they get started on their journey to freedom

Lots of great things to learn here

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning nesters!

Just flying by and wanted to stop by and give everyone a :l!

Make it a great day!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning....VG, Lav and Jenny.... Hope everyone is having a great day..... Today is day 15. Thanks to all you here and I am so grateful to God for blessing me.....
                                I am having better days... Sleep will follow I hope.
                                Mema.... Hello.... Hope all is well..
                                Shiner

Comment

Working...
                                X