Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

HI BYrd and Lav,
    Thank you all for the warm welcome. I am off for a full day of work, in which I find it easier not to drink during the work week because of those wonderful hhungover mornings when you have to be productive at your job. Not a great look I've learned.

Also Hello Lass, I love mixing sparking water and apple juice, it's almost like sparkling cider but with less sugar. I hope you enjoy it here. I know I am. Have a wonderful day everyone, and keep on keeping on!
    Sunny

Ive learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances. -Martha Washington

Comment

Newbies Nest

heya all, late check in for me. had a bit of a rough day/evening but kept to my limit and am still really looking forward to going AF soon (5 days hopefully!)

EDIT: My little brother just broke up with his girlfriend and I'm feeling pretty down about the whole thing. It's late, I'm tired and for the first time in my life when faced with a situation like this I have decided I don't want to drink to get through tonight. I have work to do. I am imensely sad, but also very proud of my own choice. Will definitely be needing a bit of re-enforcement around my little area of the nest over the next few days though guys, I apologise in advance.
      I have faced it, a life wasted, and I am never going back there again

To ya'll my name is inchy. I am an alcoholic - and priority number one is making it to the end of this day AF. No excuses.

Comment

Newbies Nest

:welcome: Scottish Lass - settle in and get comfy. We are one big family here. My fav drinks keep changing - when it was cold out I was into the herbal teas (lemon zinger and sleepytime vanilla before bed are my favorites). Now that spring is (hopefully) around the corner, I am sooo into smoothies. My favorite recipe is:

1 cup crushed ice
        4 or 5 frozen peaches
        1/2 to 3/4 cup non fat vanilla yogurt
        1 banana
        1/4 cup low fat milk

Blend it all up - yummmmmyy

I also like cranberry juice topped with a little club soda.

I use these drinks to "replace" the wine I used to guzzle every night. You might want to look around the threads as there is a recipe corner as well.

I know for myself, I had to get rid of all the AL in the house - as long as it is here, it will tempt me too much. It is now finally ALL gone (including wine coolers of my daughters that I found out in the garage).

Anyway - hope this helps as it was a huge relief to me when the AL was all gone!

Lav - you still have around 5 hours to have this beautiful grandbaby born on it's due date so I'll keep a watch out for the stork!

Hope everyone has a great evening!
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yes, it is such a blessing to count days as opposed to hours, but until then...if you can tell yourself to just get to 7 pm....just get there, and you'll be ok. That's the hump for me too, someone else mentioned that. It's really just 2 or 3 hours you have to negotiate and then you are home free! I drink caffeine free diet coke all evening. I'm sure there are better choices, but that's mine.
          Also, just a passing thought about the nonalcoholic wine...I was the same with that as I was almost with the real stuff...paying too much attention to how much I drank and how much I had left...it was nuts!!! So now I just drink water...the worst thing that happens is I pee all night! Better than a hangover! Byrdie
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdy - cross-post! I totally agree - getting past the hours of 4:00 until 7:00 are definitely the hardest. Unfortunately I still find myself getting up at night the same as when I was drinking which is really annoying. Only difference is I can crawl back into bed with a clear concious and no risk of a hangover in the morning!

Good night all!
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening everyone!

I'm really late to get here today and post, but I'm sober and enjoying my AF life, so that's what counts!

Lav...crazy chicken lady is too funny!! :H:H

I agree it's fantastic to count days rather than hours. And I'm hoping to count months instead of days after I get through this one!! As for Non Al drinks I really like Club Soda with Grapefruit Juice, Sparkling Water, Diet Gingerale, and Diet Rootbeer -- (I'm trying to get some weight off while I'm at it!)

Have a wonderful AF night all!

Comment

Newbies Nest

I drink coke zero, diet sunkist or green tea with applejuice, hate the green tea alone hince the apple juice, green tea is sooooo good for you tho! I am still counting days, I hope weeks will follow!

IC what is your plan in 5 days?

Lav I love your chicken tells! Blue eggs sound great!
                You always succeed if you never stop trying.
                Everyday we choose the direction of change.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello My New Nest friends,

Another good drink is some sherbert, ice and 7up blended up, YUM!

Felt pretty depressed to day. Feeling distant from my husband. Feeling like he doesn't understand and doesn't want to try because he's "tired"of the line ? won't do it again."

I agree, having no AL in the house is a huge help. Having this feeling and nothing around is good. As I am feeling to lazy/down to go to a liquor store. I don't even want to drink because I'm tired of my own broken promises about it. Although I know soon my triggers on a random day will start kicking in. I will work on it on those days.
                  Thank you for letting me put this out there!
                  Heading to sleep!
                  Sunny

Ive learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances. -Martha Washington

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone.

Am staying up late tonight as I have been far too busy lately to visit MWO and I am suffering withdrawals.... so nice to be suffering from something that is actually good for me not the usual poison I suffer withdrawal from:H

Welcome Sunshine and Scottish Lass - so glad you found us. Sunshine, I can relate to you feeling distant from your husband as I do from mine. AL did actually relax me and help me to loosen my tongue so I could have a conversation with people. Also I dont have much patience with my h/b when he has been drinking. I know it is hypocritical of me, but I really dont like him when he is drunk. I used to be able to tolerate it cause I was just as drunk, but not now.

As I said earlier I have been flat out the last few days and that is dangerous for me. My husband is away so I have to run both kids to and from soccer and football training (both in opposite directions, typical), my sister in law is staying with us (she has terminal cancer and has maybe a few months left if that), and tonight I had a committee meeting as well as working. I need time to myself and when I dont make that effort I get edgy and cranky and usually start looking for a bottle or three to consume to help me relax. So that is why I have made the time to come here tonight - even though my pillow is calling my name. Saying no is one thing I have to learn or I will get into trouble.

If any of our newbies are wondering about the CD's recommended in the book and this site, I recommend you get them if you can. I have been using the clearing CD for the last two weeks and last night moved onto the hypnotic one. I usually start yawning about five minutes into the relaxation then within another ten minutes I am fast asleep. I am told that the sub-conscious can still hear even though the conscious mind is asleep. It is such a lovely way to drift off and I wake up with so much energy the next morning.

Well, hope you all have a good day or night wherever you are. Stay close and stay strong.

Hip
                    I finally got it!
                    "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think, we become" Buddah

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good late morning Nesters!

I'm flying high this morning because my new grandson arrived safely at 7 am
                      He's big & healthy at 9 lbs 3 ounces & 21 inches long! I had my other grandson here overnight too.

Hippy, you be sure to keep your focus no matter what's going on in your life, OK? And keep using those CDs - they are so helpful. You can do this!!!

Sunshine, you focus on yourself as wel right now. My husband was no help to me whatsoever - we're here to support you as well

Greetings Byrdie, jenny, mylife, Jolie!!!!!
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Congratulations Lav, how wonderful. I wish him a very very long, happy and healthy life.

Comment

Newbies Nest

:woot: Congrats Lav on your precious new baby grandson! Do we have a name yet - and what a beautiful day to be born!

Hippie - wow girl - you have a lot on your plate right now. Sending you positive vibes and hugs :l What kind of withdrawals are you experiencing? Like you said - if not too drastic, they are a positive thing - hope you are feeling better soon. PM me if you feel like talking.

Good afternoon to DSLR, mylife, sunshine and jenny!

Sunshine - I'm definitely going to try the 7up, sherbert and ice - sounds really refreshing. Another soda that I'm really into right now is Fresca! Really hits the spot when I'm thirsty.

Hoping everyone has a great hump day!

Comment

Newbies Nest

CONGRATULATIONS! lAV! Wow that is a big baby...my three totalled about 12.6 pds:shocked:, but I had them by c sec...well enjoy the new baby!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lav,

Congrats on the new member the family! SO exciting!!!!

Good morning everyone. It's 6:30 am OZ time. It's a new day at least, and I am off to work. At least at work I get to interact with people all day and forget about whatever turmoil is in my own life. Thank you for all the great support. It is really appreciated! Have a lovely day!!!!!!
                              Sunny

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters

Congrats Lav on that beautiful baby boy. So exciting. How lucky are you and they to live in the same area.

Sunny, have a good day and stay focussed. We can do this.

HippyC time out for you - so important with all that stuff going on. Look after you first so you can look after others. Great advice seeing as I have only just started doing that for myself!!!!!!!!

Piper Jenny DSLR Byrd Jolie My Life and everyone else - have a good day everyone and stay away from the beast.

Maz
                                Developing an Attitude of Gratitude

Comment

Working...
                                X