Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hi nesters - missed posting yesterday - looonnnnggggg day at work, and wone where i swould usually be dringing my 1 1/2 communte home wondering if I had enough at home (wine that is) - did i need gas so i could get a bottle there, what pretense did i need to get at grocery store so I wasn't just buying wine etc etc - and i didn't do that - Oh, yes i thought about wine and found it easy to think of why i should not be drinking - mdae it thru another day! almost at end of day 9 (yup, said I would stop counting at a week - but not happening!)
    congrats to all for staying the course, for helping with advice, for listening - and welcome to the newbies - this is a good place
    “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters!

Mema, it's up to you to decide want you want & how you're going to go about it. Keep checking in & let us know how you are doing, OK?

Greetings DSLR, good to see you & glad to hear you are progressing

4MyHealth, you can feel liberated without AL & get there without Baclofen. I feel happy, calm & totally free of the grips of AL ~ you can do it too. The key is giving yourself some time to adjust to living AF

I don't want to start a war on the pros & cons of Baclofen but I honestly wonder if people really know what they are putting into their bodies & why. Baclofen was used to treat severe spasticity in neurologically damaged hospital patients. I took care of patients on this medicine years ago & the side effects were sometimes severe & the effectiveness of the drug questionable. This is just my honest opinion - wanted to put it out there!

Mimi, hello & welcome to MWO 7 the nest. Please settle in & make yourself comfortable. We'll be looking forward to hearing more from you.
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

New to this idea

I have been concerned about my drinking (wine aprox 1 bottle per night every night for a few years) but not sure if I wanted to stop, not sure if I am an alcoholic or I just like the wine and the way it makes me feel. The idea of tapering off had not occured to me (duh!) This a concept that I think could help me while I am trying to figure this out.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Not So Sure!

Welcome to MWO & the Nest, this is a good place!
          When I found MWO I knew I had to quit my wine habit because it had started to take control of me. I got to the point where I preferred spending time alone with a bottle ot two of wine instead of doing something healthier. If you haven't already, go to the Health store here & download the MWO book. It's full of good information. You can also look in the https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html to see what others have done to curtail their drinking. The sooner you get back in control of your life the better
          Please stick around & let us know how you are doing!

Wishing you the best!
          Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

This is my second post of the day. I appologize but could use some advice. I leave Chile tomorrow and will be flying first class. I am not drinking tonight and would like to say No thank you to the FREE alcohol tomorrow. I don't know if I can do this but I need to. Any advice?
            :hitme:
            Day 1:4/4/2014

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Not so Sure
              It doesn't really matter whether you call yourself an alcoholic or not. You're here for a reason. You drink more than you want to, and more than is good for you, and I guess it must worry you at times. Most of us wandered in here for the same reason, even if we hadn't given our problem a name.

If you can taper off, that's a good start. I couldn't taper off because once the bottle was open I'd have to finish it. I had to do some time AF first before I got back some control. If you don't feel ready to go completely AF, why not try to incorporate 1 or 2 AF days in your week, as well as tapering the drinking on the days you drink.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Greetings.

Welcome Notsosure - If you have searched the net for a site like this and have the slightest doubt in your mind that you may have a problem with alcohol, it would be worth staying around for a while and reading other peoples posts. I started with the "I am, I arnt" and took me a long time to decide for sure. I think the traditional idea of an hobo in the park with a bottle in the brown paper bag has done a lot of damage to us high functioning alkies. I have known alot of people with AL addictions that were top executives for big companies. But it is entirely up to you to decide. This site has been a life saver for me and I get so much out of it. Good luck.

4myhealth - I hope I didnt offend you with my post, I didnt mean it in a derogatory way however I feel that is the way it might have come across. You do whatever you need to, to get sober. We/I am here to help support you and offer our/my stories to hopefully help you get to where you want to be. It is totally your journey. We all do it different, what works for one may not work for another. I dont think you are naive at all, I had the hope that I could get to a place where I could moderate when I started. I spent the whole of my seven months sober last year clinging onto that desire. But I learnt the hard way and I suppose that is what I try to do by posting, is tell people how it was for me so they can use my mistakes to maybe help them somehow. Good luck and please keep posting in the nest - it is the best place to be!

Mema - You are not wasting anybodies time. We are all here for the same purpose and as I said above, doesnt matter how you get there as long as you keep trying if that is what you want. Stick around and you can make us all jealous about your abilities to ride longgggg distances on your bike.

Take care everyone
                HC
                I finally got it!
                "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think, we become" Buddah

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi again Mimi,

On your flight home simply say 'No thanks, I'm not drinking' and leave it at that!!!! You don't owe anyone an excuse or reason for not drinking alcohol! You have made the decision to not drink on your flight home - good for you! Have a safe trip
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome Mimi & NotsoSure...I'd recommend asking for hot tea when they offer you a free beverage. It is the complete opposite of a cool glass of wine, beer, or whatever is your drink of choice. It helps me when I choose something hot because it is so different.
                    This email may be scattered because my boys are about to head to bed.
                    Hippy - I'm sorry I came across as offended...not at all! I just really do think I am naive to hope that I can moderate since, like you, I have Never had a "normal" relationship with alcohol. I appreciate your honesty and your note about spending all of 7 sober mos. clinging to the desire to moderate -- brought tears to my eyes because I imagine that would/could be me!
                    If/when I realize that is where I need to be...where I have to always say no to alcohol...then it confirms for everyone who always suspected/knew I was an alcoholic that I am. Whereas, if I can have a glass of wine and quit at that...then they might think "she was just going through a bad time"? Why must our society stigmatize this so much?! It would be so nice if we could admit it is a disease (who would ever Choose to be an alcoholic?!!) and that it is like any other and needs treatment, not disdain.
                    Sorry, on my soap box.
                    My kids are hovering, so I need to sign off. Sorry if I sound grouchy.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lavande;1097653 wrote:

4MyHealth, you can feel liberated without AL & get there without Baclofen. I feel happy, calm & totally free of the grips of AL ~ you can do it too. The key is giving yourself some time to adjust to living AF

I don't want to start a war on the pros & cons of Baclofen but I honestly wonder if people really know what they are putting into their bodies & why. Baclofen was used to treat severe spasticity in neurologically damaged hospital patients. I took care of patients on this medicine years ago & the side effects were sometimes severe & the effectiveness of the drug questionable. This is just my honest opinion - wanted to put it out there!
                      Kids in bed (for the moment). Thanks, Lavande for the feedback on Baclofen and getting to liberation without it. I'm so happy for you that you are happy, calm & free of the grips of AL!! What a dream!! You're experience observing patients on Bac is really interesting. Again, thanks.:thanks:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone,

Just got home from work and found my dog used the shower again. Awesome!

Welcome not so sure and mimi911. The nest is a great place to bounce ideas around, share what you're feeling, or just ask questions. Everyone in here is lovely.
                        Mimi, I fly a bit from California to Australia. The last time I made the round trip I did not have any alcohol, and I wasn't even being Alcohol Free. I just decided I was going to tough it out, and it is a LONG flight to tough out (and I get anxiety), but I did it. I might have had a sleeping pill. Also there are so many other things to do on a plane: enjoy the free entertainment, journal, write a letter, make a random friend, read a book, soduko, etc. I also remember once when I had made the trip, my random seat mate shared a bottle of gin on the flight. BIG MISTAKE. We must have had quite a bit. When we landed in San Francisco, and my parents were picking me up. I looked like walking death, felt like it too. On top of it I had to deal with airline losing my luggage when all I wanted to do was crawl in a hole. I hope it works out okay for you. NO matter what we are all here whenever you need someone to listen (read.)

Lav, I too have done this without meds. I have not even looked on the meds forum, but I figure to each their own.

I hope everyone is having a good day!

Scottish Lass great job with your 9th day! I still count too! I can't help it!

Ive learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances. -Martha Washington

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone.

Welcome mimi and not so sure, glad you have joined us. You can ask anything here, don't be shy.

As to mimi's question about the flight, Lav is right. Just because the AL is free doesn't mean you have to drink it. Instead, you could maybe try a few different AL free beverages that you haven't tried before? Tea is a good one, and they usually have different blends to try. Good luck

Not so sure, hi. You posted here for a reason, a bottle of wine every night. Are you not so sure you want to give it up, or not so sure it is very good for you? Please keep posting and let us know your thoughts. :welcome:

I can't believe it's Thursday already! This week has been hectic, and it's not over yet!

To all my fellow nesters, hope you all have a fantastic AL free day.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

A sunny Thursday morning here in Lav-land
                            I'm going to take advantage & run to the nursery to buy some plants ~ time to get those empty pots filled!

Hello to everyone checking in already today.
                            Let's have a terrific AF Thursday!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

In the beginning (sounds Biblical, doesn't it??) I would have eaten a flip flop if someone had told me it would help me have a better relationship with AL. But both didn't happen..I flopped around for a year trying to moderate, only ending up worse than before! And as I have mentioned in previous posts, my liver is now a concern, so takiing a really strong med which is probably metabolized in the liver (most are) is not a good option for me. I just did it. It was time and I was out of ideas. So on April 29, we will have 2 big things to celebrate!!!! Kate and Will's big marriage, and My 100 Days Free of the Beast!!!
                              I am so happy! I owe this ALL to this board, which has been my only lifeline. Like Andrew said, I read it everyday many times. It's important. It IS the way out for me. Love to all....Byrdie
                              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning!
                                Well, Sunshinetoday, Lavande and Byrdlady, it is encouraging to read that you did this without medication. It gives me hope. Byrdlady - you make me laugh! I would eat a flip flop too, if it would work (yuk)!
                                Exciting that you are approaching 100 days!

Comment

Working...
                                X