Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

To all those struggling,

I can tell you that I joined back in 2009. Because I couldn't string all those days together, I went away and went back to my old ways (and away from this site). Came back in 2010 with the intention of moderating - that worked for maybe 2 or 3 weeks and then back to my old ways (and away from this site). I have been back since January of 2011 and decided to quit completely. My life is 100% better not only physically, but emotionally, mentally, every way possible. I think my biggest mistake was just feeling so ashamed because I didn't want to come on here and post about my slips - if I had stayed, I may have been able to quit 2 years ago.

Please hang in there - it may take several "slips" to make you see that the benefits of being AF are just so much better than that temporary high of drinking.

If I can do this, you guys can too and everyone here will help you every step of the way!

Good luck to all!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1109565 wrote:
      To the folks on days 1 and 2...I will promise you this, the last 2 days are much harder than the next 2. And so it goes. The first 7 days of AF were 1000 times harder than day 105....if that helps any. Every day that goes by, is a day that you have won back.
      How many days have you gone AL free and regretted it?? How many days have you drank and regretted it? This is within our control!! Our bodies don't physically make us pick up a glass, pour it to overflowing and gulp it down! Our minds do it. The AL does it. We are physically capable of not doing it. Distraction, distraction, distraction. Stay out of that kitchen if that's where it was/is. Get it out if you can. Make yourself make good choices and take the temptaion away ....no night of getting shitefaced feels better than being sober for 106 days. Byrdie
      Wow Byrdlady...well said! :thanks:
      Day 3 for me and last night wasn't easy....If only I can get to day 7...I'll think of your post if/when I feel tempted. I am physically capable of not drinking. Sometimes it (the craving) feels so powerful I don't feel physically capapble - though I know that is ridiculous.

Comment

Newbies Nest

4my, like Jolie said, if we can do it you can do it. God bless Lav for pulling us out of the stinker!! And Hillside too, everyone so understanding of how weak it makes us feel...so strong, that pull. All you gotta do is get thru today. Tomorrow will take care of itself. Focus on today. Stay close, we want you to win. Byrdie
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all,
          I'm back, but under a different name. I've changed houses and life and need a new start. I was last here probably about 5 years ago, did not too badly, or so I thought ....
          You were all a great source of support and help. It's good to know you're not alone.
          I can't say I'm glad to be back as it means things have gone pear-shaped and I need to get back on the wagon.

Comment

Newbies Nest

day 3 and doing well thanks

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning all,
              Byrd, Joli, and Lav good feedback as usual.
              Eugan, WELCOME back, I just found the wagon myself last month. There's lots of people on it too!
              Jobe, Well done!!!!! 3 days is great!
              Off to work everyone.
              4My, Hang in there, like they say, after day 7 or 10 it starts getting easier. At 3 weeks I think I quit counting everyday. You got this!:goodjob:
              See you all in the arvo!
              If you're thinking about having that first drink, just have a read through https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...-15-22609.html. Might help.

Ive learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances. -Martha Washington

Comment

Newbies Nest

Today is day 6 and I so appreciate the powerful posts especially sunshinetoday and byrdlady. I know I need to take inventory about what I love and hate about al.

It always helps to remember my last bad alcohol experience, the guilt and the excess calories. Of course I am only day 6 and have a long road ahead but hopefully I can keep adding up the days.

I am glad to hear that it gets easier with time.

Take care
                :hitme:
                Day 1:4/4/2014

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow busy day in the nest, Byrdie that was such a true post you wrote a few pages back, funny enough I went to write a pro's and con's list last week and I couldn't find a Pro that didn't have a dozens cons to counteract it, actually I couldn't find a Pro for a nowadays if I'm totally honest.

Hi to the newbies and not so newbies, as the others have said, sometimes you have to try modding to realise that it isn't going to work for you, I know (finally) now that I can't mod and never will be a "normalie" AL just won't let me, even now when I think just one glass will be nice I can feel myself already worrying about running out of wine and needing a second bottle in hiding, it's been time to admit to myself that I'm never going to have that option and that has actually made it easier this time around.

It does get easier though and I've found coming here everyday has been a major part of getting where I am today, I try to log in first thing in a morning.

Oh well been a busy day, appointments, then had to squeeze in hair appointments last moment for myself and the girls afterschool, but I've been so forgetful, I mislaid my phone four times today, got to the hospital and found I'd left my handbag at home, luckily I'd managed to park on the road so didn't need to pay car park fees, I think my body is two steps in front of my brain today:H

Going to pig out on a diet lemon cheesecake and go to bed I think.

Night/ morning/ evening all :l
                  WHAT CAN I SAY? I DON'T WANT TO PLAY ANYMORE..

Just taking it day by day.......

Comment

Newbies Nest

Almost done with day three. I am craving but trying so hard to squash the thought that I am giving up alcohol. I am not "giving up" anything! I am gaining something! My lift back so I QUIT! I am just kind of bored. I have a ton to do, worked a full day helping get our city's seasonal pools staffed and ready to go. And tonight I have to look for a full time benefitted job. If I could just get a job with the city full-time I would be so happy but they just don't have the budget for more full-time staff.

Comment

Newbies Nest

sunshinetoday;1109166 wrote:

LIS, I don't know why I love your quote "Do you drink Lee? NO I Don't Jeff!" If I only that was my usual response! Hope you have fun with your diet, I can't stand em, but they are necessary when the clothes no longer fit over my head!:H
                      Yeah I have that problem at the moment, absolutely nothing fits, I was hoping all the extra calories I'm no longer consuming would help in that department but no sign of it happening yet

The quote, that's just a reminder of how proud of myself I felt when I answered that question and how awful I felt each time I slid back afterwards.... and had to hide it from him... Never again now though

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello & welcome Eugan, glad you're here with us

jobe, CONGRATS on 3 AF days!!!! Keep going

piper, I'm so sorry you have so much to deal with! Your sister's behavior is horrible, to say the least. Isn't there any other family member who could jump in & intervene, give you a hand with her? Really sounds like she may have more than an AL problem going on. What do you suppose would happen if you called the police one night while she was carrying on like that? I ask because my husband is a retired detective & had to deal with people acting out in all sorts of ways. Perhaps an official visit or a few hours on a bench in the police station would cool her tools a bit. I hope you can find some peace very soon.

Good to see everyone here today - lots of progress going on

Mimi - great work on 6 AF days!

Sunshine - someone else here used to call me The Nest Mum :H

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

hi guys. day 10. still here
                          I have faced it, a life wasted, and I am never going back there again

To ya'll my name is inchy. I am an alcoholic - and priority number one is making it to the end of this day AF. No excuses.

Comment

Newbies Nest

:goodjob: In chains

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi nesters,
                              Close call! I asked my son if he'd comme to the store with me to buy "paper". He asked if I could buy it tomorrow instead. Trip to get wine averted as I decided to come here. Your posts helped me turn my thoughts around. Thanks, my friends! Off to finish making dinner and sip lemon water!

Comment

Newbies Nest

4MH I can relate to that so much! I have done that soooo many times! Not proud of it - always an excuse to collect another couple of bottles before the off-licence closes. I came home tonight at 9 after a class I've been taking. My daughter fancied a Chinese carryout so I said I'd go get one for her.
                                She got up and said she'd go herself - I did go and came home without alcohol.
                                But my point is, I know she only offered because she knows me so well. She knows I drank this past 2 nights, did'nt trust me to drive past an off-licence.......at that moment I felt nothing but shame. Another reason to say Hello to what I know is a better life! Its 2.30am here. Heading to bed at the end of my new day one. Good night all. Looking forward to Al-free tomorrow!
                                IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                                Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Working...
                                X