Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hello Nest!

Glad to hear everyone is doing well and we're staying with our plans. I've been busy but not drinking, so that's a good thing!

Have a great AF day all.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning everyone. I am still not sleeping great but I am hoping after three nights of little sleep maybe tonight will be better.

Lav, I tried to get my parents to help but they are old and my mother is in poor health (from lack of taking care of herself for most of her life) and my father is taking care of her and they live in GA a couple states away. Still it's waaay to much for me to deal with. As for calling the police she's spent her time in jail. She had a dui, wrecked her car last year. I am guessing my father paid for a lawyer to get her off because it just "disappeared". She went into rehab for a few weeks. I haven't talked with my parents since she broke her leg last year. Never mind I am raising triplets on my own, working a full and part time job. They expect me to take care of the dog I am sure. I had to when her leg was broken, but it was awful. Her house is a hoarder's nightmare. I try to pretend she isn't there, but she keep reminding me she is and not in a good way.

When i told one of my daughters about the episode a couple weeks ago, she freaked and said next time to call the police and DONT answer the door. I hope I can be strong enough to do that but I just haven't been able to bring myself too it.

Last night I thought I heard her dog barking and got up looking out the window I was so scared. I thought I heard her crying, but nothing happened so I guess I was hearing things.

Well I have to go but I was reading another article on her about the symtoms of hypogyc and dry drunk and the symtoms are the the same so it's easy to control with diet. For lunch today so for breakfast a yogurt and boiled egg, lunch is a salad with another egg and tomato, snack is an orange.

I hope you and everyone in the nest has a great day.

Hugs
      Piper

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Thursday morning Nesters!

Great to see everyone!

Good job Daisy - hope your day 2 is going well!

mylife - busy & not drinking is perfect

piper, you know you really cannot change your sister & 'helping' her at this point would also be fruitless. Focus on yourself, you can help yourself. Sadly your sister will have to hit bottom again & move on from there.
        Try to remember in managing hypoglycemia it's important to have some protein with every meal & every snack as well! When you have your apple snack add a wedge of cheese or spoonful of peanut butter Never let yourself get too hungry, space out your meals & snacks to keep your blood sugar level. Of course you know to avoid simple sugars like candy, soda.......bad news.

OK, time for me to get moving. Wishing everyone a fabulous AF Thursday!
        Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

I am SO proud of the new arrivals doing just GREAT!!! Days 1,2 and 3 are a BITC#! Plus in the back of my mind, I kept saying...this is just temporary...I will be able to drink again and it'll be normal. But alas, I'm afraid that's not in the cards since my OFF switch broke. But even the times I quit before, I held onto that....and I think THAT's why I couldn't stay sober. HOPE is a beautiful thing, but in this world, it just doesn't fit. When I finally let go of that hope....I was able to be free. It's not an option. It was however, like the death of a loved one. Letting that go was/is hard, but when I finally did, everything fell into place.
          As far as weight...in the beginning, I didn't deny myself anything...saying that NOW is the time to be good to myself. I gained about 5 pounds.. But now, I'm able to watch my intake much better and not feel like I'm being deprived. I was drinking about 1000 calories a day, and barely eating so I wouldn't gain weight. It's nice now, to enjoy eating again.
          When I hit bottom, I was so ashamed. I thought I'm going to have to go to rehab or tell my doctor or go to AA. Believe it or not, I'm a really private person. The last thing I wanted to do was go public with this!!! I didn't think I could do it on my own...and I didn't have to...I found this place, and these people. Eating half a stick of butter pales in comparison to some of the things I could tell you....ashamed of them all. I can't express the gratitude I have for this site and the people who helped pull me up and dust me off. These posts matter....every post matters. Byrdie
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day 7 and counting......

Have a good one everyone......
            :hitme:
            Day 1:4/4/2014

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello everyone!

Mimi - Great job on day 7!!! You're doing great.
              Byrd - I can relate to your post in many ways - I just didn't want to "go public" with this and I'm so glad I found this site to help me out!
              Lav, Piper and all to come -- great to hear from you! I enjoy reading every post!

Have a wonderful AF day all!

Comment

Newbies Nest

On to day 4 AF starting to feel good need to keep this going thanks.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello all
                  Day 1 again for me. Been tough so far, but almost 24 hours since my last drink, so I think I'll start feeling a little better soon.

Comment

Newbies Nest

What does AF mean?

Comment

Newbies Nest

avag;1110340 wrote: What does AF mean?
                      Im newb around here, but I think it means alcohol free....and to that I have been AF for 3 days, Im set on making it to 30!
                      Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Lav. Well done Mimi on 1 week! Look forward to being there again....
                        Day 2 for me and I can already feel myself searching for excuses - not going to give in. Bought a new book today, 'You are not alone' by Frances Black. Thought I would share the opening page with you all. Helped me...enjoy:h

THE BATTLE WITHIN US - [Native American metaphor]
                        One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people. He said, 'My son, the battle is between two wolves inside us all. One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, worry, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego. The other is good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, humour, generosity, truth, compassion and faith.' The grandson thought for a minute and then asked his grandfather: 'Which wolf wins?' The old Cherokee simply replied,
                        'The one you feed.'
                        IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                        Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yes it means AF..

Well done Nelz for reaching day 3, and Jobe Mimi, and Andrew too:l

Got back from my eldests Parents Evening, with her teachers singing her praises, telling me how she is surpassing her required targets easily, how in some subjects she could take the exam now and pass and she still has 3 years of studying before she is due to take them, so although of course I'm so proud of her, part of me keeps nagging away at how much I have held her back by not being completely there for her in the past, I'd already had a day of contemplation about how I've drank for years and the impact it as had on the three of them... it's kind of had a downing effect for some reason..

On the upside of today, I didn't have to worry about her teachers smelling AL on me and when I came to put the recycling out tonight there was only one small beer bottle in there, hubs's not mine In the past I would never put the recyling out every collection so that I could kid myself "Well that is more than a fortnights worth of bottles" ignoring the fact that I had been to the bottle bank and thrown even more bottles out in the normal rubbish.

Anyway bedtime for me, I have another headache and I'm shattered.... enjoy the rest of your days / evenings :l
                          WHAT CAN I SAY? I DON'T WANT TO PLAY ANYMORE..

Just taking it day by day.......

Comment

Newbies Nest

daisy45;1110362 wrote:
                            Day 2 for me and I can already feel myself searching for excuses - not going to give in. Bought a new book today, 'You are not alone' by Frances Black. Thought I would share the opening page with you all. Helped me...enjoy:h

One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people. He said, 'My son, the battle is between two wolves inside us all. One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, worry, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego. The other is good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, humour, generosity, truth, compassion and faith.' The grandson thought for a minute and then asked his grandfather: 'Which wolf wins?' The old Cherokee simply replied,
                            'The one you feed.'
                            It just makes it all sound so simple doesn't it, we all know that feeling of battle so well, thaniks for posting that Daisy I'll add that to my reasons list...

:goodjob: on day two
                            WHAT CAN I SAY? I DON'T WANT TO PLAY ANYMORE..

Just taking it day by day.......

Comment

Newbies Nest

:lGood morning Nest,
                              It is such a wonderful morning to wake up and see all the newbies here, and to read Byrds amazing post. First, yes F means Alcohol Free. NF I believe stands for Nicotine Free.
                              Nelz and Avag, you picked great thread to hang around in.
                              Andrew, I think the first days of the first week were pretty long for myself. Putting a little space and time between myself and the AL was hard, but much needed. I can't tell you how good your body, mind, and heart will feel after 30 days. It is an experience you have to do yourself to know.
                              Jobe and Mimi, Wonderful job you two. Keep it up and you will like how you feel.
                              Mylife, You are around 36 days I think. Great job friend!
                              Piper, I love how you are just posting a storm. I know sometimes I feel shy, even though I am by no means shy. Posting a lot has helped for me, but I know it is not for everyone. Also I was wondering if you have tried protein powder. They are good as a snack. Keep up the positivity. Glad you're here with us.
                              Byrd, What an absolute great post to wake up to on my Friday morning. I can identify with what you are saying. It is great to come HERE for the support and understanding that I need. It is great to have such wonderful people from all around the world like yourself knowing exactly what I am talking about when I tell an old story/feeling, because so many times on this road when I was drinking, I was alone. Thank you for sharing, I truly appreciate it.
                              Mother Hen aka Lav, so glad to have you watching over us all.

As far as weight loss in regards to anyone trying to lose it. The slower you lose the weight, the longer it stays off. This may not seem motivating. I have not lost as much weight as I like, but my body is changing, and shaping back to hold some muscle and less fat. I bought a size down from what I was and that took a year. I can wear one or two of my old dresses again, but I have so far to go. SO consistency in exercise is important. I'say I eat healthy 70 percent of the time, no meat either. I refuse to deny myself something if I want it, but usually I don't even want something bad.

Anyways. I have to head off to work, then heading to a girls night at the movies and dinner. Last time I went I took a water bottle of vodka and drank it (3 months ago.) I am so glad I will not be doing that tonight. I will be 34 AF today and onto the next one tomorrow.

:centsAlso Byrd, I to feel like this is a private thing for myself. Although I am sure many people notice I drank far to much. I shared with my family, and VERY FEW friends, like one to be exact. This site is a lifesaver for me. I know people will see positive changes in me and my actions over time, and that is enough. They do not need to know. I told my mom about this site because I think at times in her life this addiction has been a struggle for her as well, and she always goes about battling it herself. She is a strong amazing woman. I hope she is here reading this post, lurking. :hallo:

You guys are fantastic! See you later, Late for work again!:disco:

Ive learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances. -Martha Washington

Comment

Newbies Nest

daisy45;1110362 wrote: Thanks Lav. Well done Mimi on 1 week! Look forward to being there again....

'The one you feed.'
                                LOve love love this quote. I am part Cherokee and sioux, mixed with Irish and german for good measure! My evel wolf is full, so I'm starving it to feed the good one.

Ive learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances. -Martha Washington

Comment

Working...
                                X