Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Ya know....(big smile and head shaking) I am so moved at the successes of this nest. Mazzie right behind me, Leave, In Chains (soon to be be Outta Chains), Sunshine...I am just so happy for us. Hope rising up out of a hopeless mess. We are doing it....with a little help from our friends. Lets' see what day am I today? 126! It's as natural to me now as putting on my shoes. I am not going to reevaluate whether or not I can drink again (see posts from past YEAR trying to do that). Plus the stories of others who have tried. One thing I see and get from this place is others know just what I'm talking about. Why should I be any different when it comes to trying to drink again??? If there is one thing I've learned as I've gotten older, it's that I don't HAVE to learn everything the hard way. I will listen to others who have gone in the same path and learn from their trials. Lucky me, for having the good sense to find this place and these people! XXOO, Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evening all.

Wow, we are certainly getting some big numbers in the nest lately. Well done Inchy on 30 days, that's great.
      Byrdy I am with you on not even thinking about whether I can moderate or not. I know 100% now that I simply CAN NOT. And to be honest, I really dont care anymore (which is a great feeling).
      Sunshine - I have been working in an office for a real estate doing sales admin for the last three years but the market is so slow at present we dont get alot of listings or sales which makes my job boring and slow. I need a challenge at work, something to keep me busy, not watching the clock... I enjoy doing admin so will probably look for something similar.

Lav you are giving so much to your grandchildren. The only memories I have of my grandmother is that there was always a bottle of Vat 69 (whisky) on her kitchen table and that she used to take me to the pub when I stayed with her - which wasnt very often as she was more interested in drinking than her granddaughter. She even died a lonely alcoholic death (cerebral hemoragge or however you spell it, a very common death for alkies) in a room above a pub and wasnt discovered for three days. So she taught me well, and I would have made her proud!

Hi Barbara and welcome. Glad you have found us.

Good to see such a busy nest. Keep posting, it's so helpful to read how everyone else is coping.

Hi Maz, Blonde, Daisy, Jim and everyone else who pops in. Time for bed I think.

Seeya tomorrow.

HC
      I finally got it!
      "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think, we become" Buddah

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdie, I feel very lucky too to have found this place

Hippy, I was faced with making a choice three years ago. I made my decision to be a non-drinking, non-smoking Grandma! It took me a little while longer to actually make it all happen but I did I just had to do the right thing for me & the new kids :l

Somehow or another the sun has managed to pop out for a minute - YAY!!!
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning all,

fyi - since many of us have been talking about al & weight. Read in a health mag (can't remember which) that a 2nd martini slows one's metabolism by 75%. Assume it is the same with all alcohol.

Lav, here too it is dark and rainy. Makes me want to stay in rather than run all of the errands I need to.
          SL - I agree, the scale can be deceiving. I'll watch bfp and measurements too. Reconsidering posting since this isn't a weight loss website. 2% bfp lost is great for you; so good to see the results of your efforts.
          daisy - 14 lbs. gone is great, must feel so good. Funny that it kicked in at week 6; body adjusting maybe.
          sunshine - funny about the puffy face; I bet you do love your af face! It is amazing as I can see the difference in just a few days...so much better. I agree with you that it is so nice for grandkids to see their grandparents. We moved from ca to co for just that reason. Good that your hubby is on board.
          lis - great work on 90 days!
          HC (thanks for mentioning they got stuck - funny video)
          Welcome Barbara - I wish both were easier too...oh well, we'll have to keep at it.
          IC - congratulations on 30 days!
          Hi Mazzie, thanks. I think I have to stay here because when I'm gone, its not a good thing. (except this weekend when I'll be camping...if it ever stops raining!)
          Byrd & HC - so nice to hear that being af is "as natural as putting on my shoes" -- can't wait for that great feeling
          Hi Andrew, Jim, Blonde and others stopping by.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning Nests,
            Just checking in before heading off to work. I was just thinking about how sometimes (or Often at one stage,) I would drink when I was depressed. I realized at the time that I didn't care that I was drinking myself into an unhealthy faze, I didn't even care what would happen to me because I was in such an unhealthy stage mentally. I liked drink more than I liked myself. At some point though it all changed. Even when drinking I knew I liked myself more than AL. Even though I said before AL to me is like a lost love that you leave because it is toxic for you, I still feel that way. I know there is nothing good to come from AL, only lots and lots of negatives. I numbed myself for so long that all the joys of everyday life, or little things, sometimes feel so brand new to really be aware of and experience. I am so happy to have found this site, and all of you. Without it I shudder to think of what the last 8 weeks would have been like. Thank you all for being here, for being supportive, and for sharing parts of yourselves.
            Have a good day everyone, and I will check back in tonight!

Ive learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances. -Martha Washington

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning all

In Chains, fabulous achievement. You've done relaly well and must be so proud.

In fact a lot of folks are doing really well. I'm getting so much from this site even though I'm in a lot of pain - emotional pain that is.

Only 25 days til my house is gone although I may move out before that. I can't live with the hostility of my ex - silent passive aggressive hostility. I'm overdoing the valium trying to sleep but it makes me a zombie during the day. I'm down to 5 or 6 hours of work a day at the suggestion of my manager and my doctor. Have my psych appt next week. I really feel like giving up on everything but I have too many family and friends to think about, not to mention my 5 year old boy. I am not drinking though, have no desire to although it's only been 3 days. I would like to sleep for a week though.

I really feel bad but am seeing my doctor tomorrow and psych next Tues so they may halp me out of this rut.

Thank you everyone for their kind thoughts. It means a lot to me and along with family and friend support I'll get through this - it's just so hard. With Al, the weekend will be my danger zone.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Greetings 4MyHealth, Sunshine & JimG!

Good to see all of you today!
                On the topic of depression drinking - been there & done that!!!! OMG, my drinking was all about about depression & not wanting to face certain facts. I purposely chose to numb my senses sufficiently, almost everyday so I could just ignore it all. If it hadn't been for the arrival of my grandson 2 1/2 years ago..........I would still be doing that.

Jim, I'm sorry about your current situation but it may end up being a good beginning for you. My massively depressed husband walked out a year ago - I know all about dealing with silent passive aggressive hostility. I've lived with that BS for the past 16 years of my nearly 38 year long marriage. ENOUGH!!! I'm a bit lonely but I'll live! I have friends & family, I feel fortunate. Repairing my self-esteem is on the top of my list. You will have to do that too - and you will in time

Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the Nest :l

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all,

Why is day 2 so difficult for me. It seems to be an every other day thing. Made it, though.

Jim, thank you for not giving up on everything. All of this will seem so distant (heard recently how the human mind forgets pain and remembers joy) soon. Your son and family/friends will thank you for not giving up. You will be the proof, the strength for others to show that one can make it through these dark periods.

Good night, nest.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey nest, Just got home from work - long day, its 8pm and I started at 7am, and not on 12hr shifts or anything, just normal day - so not much posting tonight, will just read what everyone has been up to. Have to say congratulations to IC though - that is well worth a quick post!! I am proud of you - it has not been easy, but you did it!
                    “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

5:30 am & watching the sun rise! I've actually been up since 3:30 - ugh!

4MyHealth, food for you making it thru day 2! Not easy I know byt totally worth the effort - you'll see

scottish lass, you work long days just like I used to - I feel for you :l
                      Beibg self emplyed these days relieves me of that burden.

Well, I hope everyone has a terrific AF Hump Day

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Will post in the morning. Just saying good night nest!
                        hugs!

Ive learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances. -Martha Washington

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello to all! Was going to mention names but then realised how many of you are on here. I really admire some of you when you are able to mention people individually.......give me time, I'll get there.............That said I do follow your progress and wish every one of you success!
                          Well, here I am on day 9. Feel lucky to be here - this past couple of days I've been getting that old familiar voice saying 'maybe once a week, once a month' - people are saying how well I look so I in turn am saying to myself, 'well, I must'nt look like an alco, so am I???!!'
                          Then because I am getting my 'house in order' , there's that picture perfect end to the day - nice clean house, feeling good, worked hard, so 'why don't I deserve that nice big cool Chardonnay?'
                          I DO know it's all drinking-thinking, but it does happen. Feel better today though after reading just about any thread or post I can find......
                          It would be nice to carry the determination and conviction of Day 1 with you every day but it definitely fades and thats when 'the beast' is ready to pounce!!!!! Will tread carefully........
                          Have a great Al-free HUMP DAY!!!!! Just had to say that - I think it's so funny!
                          IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                          Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all I'm on day 25 AF feel great.I check out this site every day thanks for all the help .

Comment

Newbies Nest

daisy - congrats on your 9 AF days
                              Honestly, you do have to carry your Day 1 determination with you or you risk slipping right back. Learn to 'reward' yourself with something other than wine. Changing habits & routines have to be addressed

sunshine - I sure hope you are sleeping better than I did last night!

Just back from a hair cut, lunch out with friends & a bit of shopping. Finally a sunny & very warm/humid day here.
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi jobe - congrats to you on your 25 AF days!!!!
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X