Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hi all - to those with huge successes, well done - SO good to hear from you DSLR!! To all those who are new, welcome!
    Day 2 has started well - how many times does it take to learn a lesson! I feel great today, wished I had felt like this yesterday - an AF fabulous Monday! It feels so good, I wish I could work out why I keep undoing it!
    Good luck to everyone - Happy Memorial day to the Americans and Whitsun to the Brits....
    “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evening Nesters

Busy day both here and at home, spent another day working on the kitchen again, I really am disgusted with how I had let things slip at home over the last couple of years, there was I on my trips of guilt housework kidding myself I was keeping on top of everything, but I am now finding differently... new beginnings though....

Another moody day for me, trying not to take my frustrations out on hubs even if he does antagonise me from time to time, he went out to get a few groceries and although I'm on a diet and had a great weight loss this week he brought full fat and sugar options of everything, before being AF I would have gone off on one but I kept my calm and fumed silently

FMH and SL like Daisy said you could have used it as an excuse to drink for longer, I would have, I'd have told myself I'll start again the beginning of next month, so good job on getting back to day one again, those first three days are the worst but feels so good after that period has passed.

Peanutbutter, poohphil and AV welcome to the nest, hopefully you'll find the answers and you need you;ll definately find the support you need here:l It's been a long while since I've had chance to meditate and I've not tried to since I quit at all, I think as part of my recovery I'll start again. AV glad you have a start date and supps in place, yeah why not use the New Moon as your New Beginning,

Barbara and Daisy good job on you AF days And DSLR great to hear from you, keep us up to date with whats going on and how you're getting on with your modding, the best part is like you said getting your life back, I love feeling stronger each day...

Lav hope the BBQ went well

Have a lovely day /evening to everyone else I may have missed

Much love all Leexx
      WHAT CAN I SAY? I DON'T WANT TO PLAY ANYMORE..

Just taking it day by day.......

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning all,

How exciting... all this activity in the nest. Great to see.

A huge welcome to AV Sen, Pooh and Peanut. So glad you found us. :welcome:

Pooh - my psych mentioned mindfulness in my session yesterday so I am going to explore that. I hardly ever live in the moment. Always thinking about the past or projecting into the future. Big challenge. Good luck to you.

Peanut - I too have trouble meditating. I simply cannot clear my mind. Did you see Eat, Pray, Love? There is a bit in there where Julia Roberts is trying to meditate and all she could think of was how she would decorate her meditation room !! LOL. Can so relate to that!!!

Barbara -:wd: on 9 days. It feels great, doesnt it. Keep that feeling in mind so if you get tempted you know that feeling great is better than drinking.

Daisy :happy: well done to you too. Two weeks! Just think how good you will feel when it is two months..... Keep up the good work.

DSLR - I was wondering about you during the weekend. So pleased to hear you are doing well. Pop in more often, I love reading your posts.

LIS - feel the resentment then let it go. Dont let it fester in your mind because it will get worse. It is a legitimate feeling because AL does steal your life away, but it has happened now and the best thing you can do is move on, dont let AL steal more of your life by being resentful. x

Been having drinking dreams lately. They are sort good to have because I can drink in my dream and not wake up feeling hungover. I always feel guilty though.....:H

Had a good session yesterday with my therapist (gonna call him that now cause I always have to think about how to spell psychologist!!). He made me write down all the times I felt anxious during the previous week. I didnt realise how often I had negative or anxious thoughts every day. Even little things give me anxiety, like using the telephone, talking to people. But the one thing he did say was that anxiety was a real feeling, I am not just "being stupid". So in validating my anxiety, it sort of relieves it abit in a funny sort of way. I even get anxious about being anxious! So I am going to try to feel the anxiety and ride it out, go with it, let it happen and then release it. Got heaps of reading to do so will let you know when I find things that I feel could be helpful to others as I know there is alot of people here who are dealing with anxiety and panic attacks too.

Gotta go - start work in ten minutes, bugger!

Take care and stay strong.
        I finally got it!
        "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think, we become" Buddah

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning Nest,
          Just sitting here with my mud like coffee. I am heading off to work but wanted to check in.
          Barbara, Fabulous on 9 days. Everyday AF is a win.
          SL, HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!!!!! So you drank, oh well, you're back here and your giving it a go. I'm with LIS, I would have kept going. So way to go.
          4My hope you are doing well.
          AV, welcome to the nest, you will get lots of support here.
          DSLR, So lovely to hear from you. Thank you for checking in. Sounds like things are going well and I am very happy for you! You are missed though. :h
          LIS, I love that little link you have. I usually do the shopping so I buy hubs full fat, and then some healthy options for me. Only thing is I find myself eating his unhealthy options some times. Oh well. Are you redoing your kitchen yourself? Glad to have you here.
          Hippy, Do you ever go heck out the underoos thread? I too have had a few drinking dreams lately. I felt guilty too, funny that. Glad you are doing well!
          Daisy way to go. You are doing great friend.
          Lav, How is your long weekend?

I must be running of to work. I have quite a bit to do today and will see ya all later tonight. Take Care everyone.

Ive learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances. -Martha Washington

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters!

What a great turn out here today

Welcome to AV Sen, Pooh & Peanut! The Nest is a safe place to settle in while you get your bearings. Have you read the MWO book yet? It's available for download in the Health store here on the site. The MWO Hypno CDs are a great way to get started learning mindfulness meditation. I have purchased CDs from Emotional Healing Arts Meditation Workshops | Chopra.com and DailyOM - Nurturing Mind Body & Spirit as well.
            Learning to settle yourself & redirect your thinking is very helpful on this journey.

Hippy, you know I had a huge problem with anxiety myself. It is a real problem not an imagined one. I found relief with the herbal product we talked about ages ago & getting further & further away from AL of course has helped a lot too. Try some meditation too - it helps

LIS, Daisy, Barbara, sunshine & everyone - glad to see you today!

DSLR, good to hear from you too!
            If you are able to drink moderately after 30 AF days then good for you. I just hope that you are able to maintain that control & not find yourself in trouble somewhere down the road. I was never able to do that successfully myself. My drinking was fueled by depression & AL made my depression worse. There was no end to that cycle for me so I had to stop completely.

Had a great day with the family, BBQ, kiddies, the whole bit & now I'm exhausted.
            So I'll say good night & stay safe in the Nest everyone!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters,
              So tired & headed to bed. Just read Rip Van Winkle to my boys and I feel like him - I have "slept" (drank) through so many night's of my children's lives...what a useless choice that was.
              First alcohol free holiday in so many years! Even had a party with friends -- all who offered drinks. It feels good to have accomplished this in the face of offers. Now I have no excuse when there are no offers and the only option is driving to the store. If I can do without when it is in front of me, I can do without when it is a drive away. (Sorry to ramble - little pep talk.)
              Good night/morning to all.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi xx

Hello everyone,
                Just popped in to say Hi, as I'm still strugglin' and I don't think I made the newbies nest last time (April) for some reason?! Ah well, better late than never. I guess I'm still new to sobriety so I reckon it's o.k :H
                Tryin' for an AF June, whens the page going up? Some wonderful people here can start us off no probs with a word or two of inspiration, read some great stuff on this link alone.
                Hope everyone's o.k and having a great day. Day 1 (again) for me today and feel exhausted. Off for a lovely hot bath and hit the hay early, I think that's a great strat and wake up to June without a hangover - wayhay!!!
                Love to you all xx
                :l

Comment

Newbies Nest

Back again.

Sunshine - I have poked my head into the underoo's thread every now and again. I tend to visit the nest the most as hearing about newbies struggles keeps me on track. I think I use MWO the same way as my life seems to go. I dont have a group of friends that I visit with all the time as my agrophobia and anxiety has always kept me at a distance from people. And I seem to apply that to here also. Apart from the nest (which if you think about it is a group of somewhat transient people with only a few of us "permenant" therefore I dont have to keep up relationships....), I flit between the Army thread, daily abbers and anyone else who's thread catches my eye. I dont quite have enough confidence yet to "allow" myself to be part of a permenant thread. But I am working on it....

Noodle - nice to see you. Stick around the nest for a while. Alot of great posts here.

Hi Lav. I will have a look at the sites you suggested for meditation when I get time.

4MH - well done ono a AL free holiday. It is sooooo good to wake up without a hangover isnt it.

Well off to the gym then play Mum-Taxi for the next few hours.

Talk to you later

HC
                  I finally got it!
                  "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think, we become" Buddah

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning everyone, another lovely sunny day today.

Thank you for all the kinds words, I am so touched that in such a short time, I have made such kind and caring friends, you are great people and this is a brilliant community.

Scottish Lass well done for keeping going, remember Robert the Bruce, "If at first you don't succeed try, try and try again" just before he went onto finally give the English a good going over You will do it, I know you will, keep going :goodjob:

Leaveinsilence, I am so pleased that you are feeling stronger and getting that wonderful thing, life, back again, great isn't it! Stick with it, as I am sure it just gets better!

Hippy Chick, you and all the other brilliant friends I have made on MWO have been an asbolute inspiriation to me and I know are the main reason why I have achieved what I have. I will definitely keep popping in to catch up with everyone and see how well you are all doing.

Sunshinetoday,those lovely words, you don't know much reading that made me feel warm inside and valued, thank you :l

Lav, your guidance and support has been invaluable to me over the past couple of months. I know it is a risk to moderate so early on, but feel that I want to at least try, within the boundries I mentioned before. If I feel like I am slipping back into the destructive routine I had before or that my depression is returning, then I will come straight back to MWO and sobriety.

I know that going out drinking socially in an unrestricted environment is not possible still and probably never will be. However, hopefully I can enjoy the odd glass with friends and family, but if not, then I am mentally prepared now that a AF future is necessary.

I believe more than ever that friendship is the bedrock of personal strength and builds courage within us to tackle things like addiction. I have learnt so much about myself from reading the posts of you all, we have never met but we have one thing that binds us all together as friends and that is very powerful.

To the new friends in the nest who are starting their own personal journey, you have come to the best place you could find, good luck and wishing you strength and friendship.

So once again, THANK YOU and wishing you a wonderful Tuesday day, afternoon or evening.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

Heading into another hot & humid day here in these parts - Spring has been cut short I suppose

4My, congrats to you for an AF holiday! I have learned to love them

noodle, welcome to the Nest! Glad you decided to settle in with us.
                      What's your plan? You need a good plan & a strong commitment to meet your goals. Don't forget to use the Tool box in the Monthly Abs section

HC, I think at this point ~ just about everyone on MWO knows you. You should just drop in any thread you like to say hello & feel comfortable

Wishing everyone a good AF Tuesday!
                      Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lav - I clicked on the links you added before and started listening to the sample CD by Chopra however all I kept thinking about was Mike Myers in Love Guru as his voice is exactly the same..... So dont think I am going to be able to learn how to meditate if I keep giggling.... (if you havent seen the movie - give it a go... so funny).
                        Will try the other link you sent.
                        HC
                        I finally got it!

Comment

Newbies Nest

New here....

Hi All. I have read/lurked here on and off for over a year. I have finally hit my 'bottom' and am ready to make big changes, step one, is that I registered here so I can be accountable. I have been a problem drinker since I was 21. I'm 38...almost 39 now. I have two girls, so I did have two pregnancies where I completely abstained, so that's about all I had for a break. I'm an RN, I know better. I'm currently not working, bascially gave up a great job, essentially because I was too hungover, emotionally unfit to keep at it. There is so much to go into, but I'll start slow.

I am no longer a 'problem drinker' I know I am a full-fledged alcoholic. Today, I am just physically ill from all the abuse I've inflicted on my body and I'm done.

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself. I find a lot of inspiration from these posts...my hope is to eventually be able to help someone along the line.

Thanks,
                          C
                          AF 9/28/11

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome aboard and congrats!

Im a total Newb on here, and to abstaining, but with the help of some posts and people on here, Ive made it longer than I thought possible.

I think we have all felt the ill effects of AL GL with your journey
                            Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy AF day nest! Had a difficult time sleeping, but still feel so much better than usual!:H
                              HC - Yes - it is soo good to not have a hangover! It is always good to see your posts. I have some anxiety issues too; hope those fade with more time af.
                              Welcome, Noodle. I think I've seen you dancing around some other links. Your icon gives me a chuckle.
                              Welcome Gardengal! You'll enjoy the nest.
                              Hi Lav, DSLR, Sunshine and SL. Hope everyone visiting the nest has a great day!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning everyone!

Thanks for all of your well wishes on my AF days! Had a little challenge this weekend with temptation, but with your help I was able to walk away unscathed. It was my first holiday weekend without AL in over 10 years. I'm working on a plan, reading the book and continuing with the CD's so it all seems to be working.
                                I'm a little nervous about June though. I committed to the 30 day AF for June, and I have 2 moves that I am coordinating with Clients (I'm a Realtor....so now you know WHY I drink ha!) and the Clients are very difficult. I'm moving one Client out and the other in to the same house. The Client moving out hasn't secured a mover yet...and they need to be out by June 18th, the new Client has to be in by June 25th. So I'm very stressed to say the least. I am now frantically searching for a mover who is not booked up for June etc. etc. you get the picture. In the meantime I have other work related things going on, so I am feeling confident today, just apprehensive and a little wobbly-kneed with this whole sobriety thing through all the chaos.
                                I guess I'm asking for Extra prayers from you guys.
                                THOUGHTS become THINGS
                                choose the GOOD
                                ones!

AF since 5/22/11 :boxer: Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.............

Comment

Working...
                                X