Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady......Day 153?????
    WOW!! I thought it was funny when you said "my liver and my marriage" LOL! Isn't that the truth?
    Well the 18-20 yr. olds haven't had time to develop a problem. I was very different at 20.
    I can just imagine the people our age making assess out of themselves. That picture makes me sick to my stomach.
    InChains, what's going on? I remember drinking in the morning too. Never thought I'd get to that place. I remember going to the store at 8 am. craving AL after a night of drinking. There was a couple at the counter with me and they said "wine for breakfast"? I just ignored them wanting to sink into the floor. BUT getting the AL was more important than feeling too embarrassed.
    Do you need help from the doc for cravings? I can't do this by myself either. Maybe you should look into meds. just to get you started. What do you think?
    THOUGHTS become THINGS
    choose the GOOD
    ones!

AF since 5/22/11 :boxer: Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.............

Comment

Newbies Nest

Barbara: I'm 20, had a problem from when i was 14, trust me it's plenty of damn time xD I can resist drinking in the morning, I have always done before, but with my fiance away I just give in. Seems to me I was probably only doing this for him, when he's not around I'm worse than i was before...
      I have faced it, a life wasted, and I am never going back there again

To ya'll my name is inchy. I am an alcoholic - and priority number one is making it to the end of this day AF. No excuses.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdie - great job - good for you!
        Aren't you relieved you weren't the one making an ass of yourself? :H

Greetings Barbara & IC. Hope you are both well.
        IC, when does your fiance return?

I've been busy & on the run all day ~ tiring out now.
        Wishing everyone a safe night in the Nest!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

I thought it was funny when you said "my liver and my marriage" LOL! Isn't that the truth?
          Absolutely! A funny comment and an absolute truth.

Made it through Day 4. Faced a very tempting situation and was not overly tempted. This is good. Thank you for the support.
          Short term goal - (I can't figure out a realistic short term goal.)
          Long term goal - Moderation! :heart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day 23 coming to an end. Dropping down to 25mg of topa the side effects have lessened. I have had no desire to drink so I will be interested if that changes once I am off the topa or if it's because I have made some life changes that have given me peace of mind lately. I don't plan on going backward.

It looks like I am going to help my son raise my grand daughter. she is my life and already thinks I am her mommy so she needs a solid foundation in her life and I plan on being that for her. She has her daddy who is awesome but he can't do it alone.
            :hitme:
            Day 1:4/4/2014

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi guys,

I have just got back from a spa retreat up in the hills. My husband bought me a voucher for this fantastic health spa and I booked a room and stayed the night (all by myself.... it was wonderful.... no kids, no cats, no hubby, should have left the mobile at home too!). Had a massage treatment yesterday. Aahh so relaxing... Just read, relaxed in the heated spa, finished my knitting. Kept thinking that in my past life, I would have taken a few bottles of wine to "perfect" the evening. Although it was on my mind, I didnt miss it. Asked myself what AL would have done to make it better and the answer obviously was NOTHING! So instead of buying myself a couple of bottles of wine, I treated myself to a lovely rose bush called Atomic Blonde, just like me... LOL from a nursery I passed on the way home.

So many new faces in the nest which is great to see. Hi Blueflower and congratulations on day 4. Hi Adeey (fellow aussie) and welcome. Your story sounds very similar to mine (and I am 47 also). Well done on 22 days, keep at it and they will soon add up.

Hi Nelz and Natalie - boredom was/is a huge trigger for me too Nat. I am doing all sorts of things to keep the boredom to a minimum now - knitting, mosaic's, gardening, reading, even colouring in with my daughter. I think to a certain degree I used boredom as an excuse or reason to drink. Rather than find something to do, I would just open a bottle. Was still bored, but just too numb to realise.

Mimi - your grandaughter is a lucky girl to have you in her life.

Hang in there Inchains. You need to do this for yourself to make it work, not for your partner.

Hi Lav, Byrdy and everyone else who is lurking or pops in.

I have to agree with Lav about our reasons for not drinking is nobody's business and we shouldnt have to explain why. If we had given up smoking, people would be encouraging us to keep it up and congratulate us. Why is there a difference between giving up one addictive drug and another.
              And I too wonder about the side effects of meds and if they are worth it. But in saying that, if it works for you, do it. Everyone's journey is different.

Well now that I have made up for not visiting for a while, I had better go before you fall asleep reading my post:H

Take care and stay strong.

Hip
              I finally got it!
              "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think, we become" Buddah

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello to everybody and the new 'faces'.
                Have been away for a few days. I am back to Day 1 today. Will read through your posts throughout the day and catch up with how you are all doing.
                Will check in tonight. Have a great day everyone!
                IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Newbies Nest

HIya Nesters,

I've been gone for awhile, but just caught up on the last few weeks in the nest.

Habsfan, I live 30 minutes from Surfers Paradise. I LOVE Mount Tamborine and love its wineries. I also love its little shops, cafes, and gardens.

It's great to read how so many of you are doing so well. Even those that have slips continue to keep plugging away at the AF days in between which is fantastic.

HC Your spa stay sounds fabulous. I was looking into a similar week long thing for myself as birthday present or something like that for hubs to give me. Only the one I liked was the cost of 2 round trip airline tickets to visit California again, So maybe in 15 years time I will treat myself to that. Sounds like you had the perfect get away. Also without the wine, you got more time to yourself.:l:h

So even though I have not been writing, I have been reading this thread nonstop since my journey began. I had my first AF holiday. It was a spur of the moment road trip. We were gone for a week. I think I had the strongest urges to drink while I was on this road trip. Sometimes because I had anxiety after driving all day and wanted to relax. Some days I just wanted to drink because I figured what the hell, I'm on vacation. However, I did not drink. I have not reached the goals I have set for the short term, so I stayed on course. Not sure how but I did. I also don't know what my long term goals are, but know I am better off without AL in my life. Anyways, just giving you all an update.

Hope you all are well and I will check in more often.

Daisy, Noticed you have not posted since news of your friend. Are you doing okay?

Ive learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances. -Martha Washington

Comment

Newbies Nest

Daisy, OKay, xposted. Glad to see you here!

Ive learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances. -Martha Washington

Comment

Newbies Nest

Mimi, I think that's lovely for your granddaughter. What a blessing it will be for her to have you be around that much.

Also, Hello LAV! Nest Mom!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Wednesday morning Nesters - Happy Hump Day

BlueFlower - nice going on your 4 AF days ~ pretty soon it will be a week!

Mimi, wonderful that you are starting to feel better.
                        As much as I love my grandchildren & seeing them often, raising them would be another thing. But if the need arose I absolutely would do the same thing. I know that means making huge changes in your life's plan but possibly could be a huge blessing in disguise. I wish you the absolute best in your new role :l

Hippy, sounds like you really enjoyed yourself ~ good for you!

Daisy, so glad you are back with us. Best wishes as you restart your journey.

Sunshine, good to see you again & congrats on your progress as well.
                        A spur of the moment road trip sounds like fun, I understand the road anxiety though. The older I get the less I like driving, oh well. I am becoming a home body

Time for me to get to work. Wishing everyone a great AF Wednesday!
                        Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all,

Has anyone heard from Vintage Girl ?
                          I dont get a chance to read ALL the threads but havent seen anything from her in a while and I seem to remember her saying she posted here a bit.

Hope all are keeping well

Damo
                          Still trying !!!
                          AF 25th June2014

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone
                            Sounds like there's a few successes out there which is always good to hear.
                            Hang in there, In Chains. Can you change your morning routine?
                            I've never been a morning drinker, but I know that sometimes on a wet weekend I've been tempted to start in the early afternoon, mainly through boredom.
                            If you don't have to go to work, how about setting ceratin housework tasks that have to be done before you do anything, and then go and do something active to fill your morning.

I've just enrolled to do another paper for my degree (6 to go). It should fill my evenings, but I have to watch it because it is still a home-based activity and in the past I have sat on the computer with my glass of wine or 5. It's all about learning to do the same things in a different way.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters!

Quiet here today.

Hi Damo - I don't think I have seen Vintage girl around for a while.

dancingon, good to see you & see you are moving forward with your plan, wonderful!
                              What are you studying?
                              I know what you mean about having to learn to do the same things in a different way - the AF way. It actually hasn't been all that hard. One thing that's really helped me is to replace my brooding/drinking time with healthier pursuits - Meditation, reading are two big changes.

Well, I hope everyone has a safe night in the Nest

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Woooops! Forgot to check in, Im way behind on here, and my drink tracker.

Freaking trailer hub bearing failed on me, not being much of a mechanic(and cheap to boot), decided to fix it myself.......Bad Call LOL

Took wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too long, but its fixed....a few swear words and busted pride later, its fixed.

Keep it up everyone
                                Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Working...
                                X