Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Welcome to Kukani and New Shoes. Hello to everyone else!
    Day 8 here and feeling good. Went out to dinner last night and stayed for entertainment - was a good night 'in the end'.
    The problem at the beginning? My sister and parents were also invited - at 1pm yesterday my sister was still making drunken phone calls after drinking all night. The decision was made between my parents and myself to not contact her as she is very aggressive when drinking. She would have been due some sleep and we didnt think there was a possibility of her even being awake at 5.30 when we were due to go.
    As I was driving alone, I made my way to restaurant out of town - when I arrive there she is, eyes hanging out of her. I couldnt believe it.!My parents picked her up! My other foreign relatives who are only home for a week dont know the history and didnt seem to notice as they were so busy chatting among themselves. At the meal I am stuck between my sister and mother - my nerves were wrecked! As the conversation amongst everyone continued, sister tries to put her 'bit' in. She was loud, obnoxious and when my mum and myself tried to discreetly tell her to keep it down, she turns nasty. Thankfully still the visitors didnt catch on.
    As the night progressed she calmed down and believe it or not seemed to be more sober when we left; she couldnt get at the wine as everyone else was buying and she doesnt spend money, hence only had about 3-4 glasses over 5 hours.
    I am so angry with my parents; they feel sorry for her - she does have a drink problem but as with all of my family, in denial. I believe you have to feel the consequences in order to be able to fix yourself but everytime she messes up they are there to pat her on the back and make her feel she didnt do anything wrong. She is aggressive without alcohol but last night could have turned out so badly and I know I would have been left to deal with her - she frightens me!
    Sorry everyone, just had to get that out. I want the best for her but IMO she will not seek help as long as this cycle of enabling goes on.
    IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
    Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Daisy...you go girl! I will say this about your situation with family...we all got em, and we can't shoot em. But it's like they say on the airlines when they are stating the safety rules...put on your oxygen mask first, and then assist others. My advice and experience says work on yourself first, if not, she will drag you right down with her. Maybe your example will not only inspire her, but make your parents wake up and stop enabling her. Just a thought. But I found I wasn't capable of helping anyone else until I got out of the hole I had dug for myself....
      I'm sorry I forgot to write down the name of the 7 o'clock starter....get you some suckers, I liked Charms blow pops..they are a delightful sugar rush and distraction while you are trying to knock the edges off those awful cravings/habits. Remember, you only gotta get thru about 3 hours, then you're home free. Hope that helps, Byrdie
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning! I am excited... I made it to day 2! Only the second time in 15 plus years. All you wine drinkers.... Moms... Ladies who have had it...
        We can do this together.
        You are welcome to see my story on my thread... Conquoring day 1!!!
        Have a great day
        Enough!
        Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Comment

Newbies Nest

evening all, I survived! had a great time, hope alls been well in my absence
          I have faced it, a life wasted, and I am never going back there again

To ya'll my name is inchy. I am an alcoholic - and priority number one is making it to the end of this day AF. No excuses.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Damn, I feel so low, I know its only a blip though.
            I can not alter the direction of the wind,

But I can change the direction of my sail.

AF since 01/05/2014

100 days 07/08/2014

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day 8 AF

This is longest I have gone in about 10 years at least ..

How do I feel. Brilliant in the mornings but sometimes feel I am lamenting a lost friend once it hits about 4PM. My witching hour lasts between 4PM and about 10 PM !!

Anyway I am hanging in there. My advice is to keep reminding yourself of the positves (loads) and how crappy the negatives can be ...

Thanks for listening - :goodjob:
              AF July 4th 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

trouble is its 5 o clock here and if I don't watch out I'll be repeating the same old stuff that always ends up bad...day 2 AF and feeling ok but already romanticizing the happy in happy hour ( even if I was pounding a 12 pack alone....)....not drinking today and its going to be ok,,,going to read posts, have some ice cream and go for a walk......going to be great....or at least better than when I am drunk...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Newbies,
                  Day 8 nearly done. Found tonight a bit tricky- funny for a Monday. It was usually my day that I didn't drink but I suppose I was normally hungover from the weekend. Am very tired from a busy day at work which never helps. I know I usually used wine to pick myself up after work- but that can't happen any more. But then I used wine to 'solve' every emotion. It is easy to say to rest when you are tired but I have lots to do before I get up tomorrow.
                  I keep thinking about the big party I am going to on Sat night. None of my friends know that I have stopped drinking, they wouldn't even think I had a problem. I need to get in the right frame of mind for it. I want to go & have a great night, not drink AL & feel great the next day. I don't care what they think, I am more worried that I will give in & drink. Maybe when I am not so tired it will be easier.
                  Night Newbies.
                  SJ xxx :groupluv:

'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act but a habit.' Aristotle

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi SarahJane

I am also on day 8 and in Ireland so we're in the same boat..

Be Strong!

I'm gonna watch Mr. T on BBC3 at 10.30 to keep me busy and dry!!
                    AF July 4th 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

No.3 Irish girl on Day 8 checking in!!!
                      Sarahjane we have to keep going together - hopefully you're just tired and we know thats a trigger.....
                      Is the party an important one? Important enough to put yourself in temptations way? Only you can decide.....exercise your way through the rest of the week so that you'll be feeling so fit and healthy you won't want to mess it up - bet you'll get loads of compliments too!
                      Anyway hope you feel better tomorrow.
                      IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                      Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day 5 is almost over for me but the next 2 hours are going to be rough. It's hot, I'm tired and stressed and I really, really want a big glass of chilled sauvignon blanc. I have 2 hours until the liquor store closes. I just need to get thru these 2 hours. I need to ignore that nasty little voice in my head telling me that it's no big deal .... no one else needs to know ..... everybody slips up. :no::no::no:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nesters!

Such a busy Monday around here - good
                          I stayed very close to the Nest when I first started, really helped! 2 1/2 years later & I'm still here :H

Lots of great conversation going here re enabling problem drinkers, accepting social invitations early on in your journey, surfing witching hours........
                          I have to agree with Byrdie (good point) take care of yourselves first & formost. Make your sobriety your #1 priority. Keep yourselves as distracted as possible & fill your time with healthy activities. Guided meditations are a great way to relax without AL (You can find lots of free ones online).

And most important ~ ignore that voice in your head telling you it's OK to have just one because it isn't! We all know what happens after one........
                          I found once I truly accepted that I just cannot have one drink - ignoring the voice became much easier & eventually you don't hear it at all!

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest. Look in the Tool box if you need inspiration

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nest,

It's great to see so many people logging in successful days AF! Each day you add on the journey gets a little easier - so let's get some big numbers in together. I have told myself that I will "discuss" quitting AL forever or not when I've hit my 100 day mark. Until then I can't even discuss it. At 100 days I will have given sobriety somewhat more of a chance so I can make an informed decision. So here's to 100 days.

Hope you all have a wonderful AF evening in the nest!

Comment

Newbies Nest

2 days no booze, got through happy hour without beers and happy enough, liver is happier that's for sure.... Thanks for the posts, good not to be alone....

Comment

Newbies Nest

Clockwatcher ~
                                You are never alone here
                                We've got you covered. Congrats for getting thru day 2!!!!!
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09
                                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                                X