Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

It's Tuesday morning ~ calling all Nesters!!!
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Lavende

I'm feeling good - how about yourself?

Tues night here.

I've hit some rough spots and have succumbed but I'm not defeated. I question whether I'mcommitted or not. In the morning with nausea and hangover I'm committed but late afternoon the mood changes to something else that allows alin. Am I weak? Not committed? Not focussed? Probably all the above so it's up to me to make the commitment and change in my life.

One of the commen elements that strikes home are the parents that post who lament the effect their al habit has on their kids - I'm the same - just no energy to pursue my little boy's interests be it football or basketball or anything that requires energy. What kind of father amI?????? I need toformulate my plan and stick to it. Someone here tied some string around their wrist as a reminder of what they want to achieve. I like that and I'm going to do the same. A symbolic representation of what you want to do.

Keep the faith brothers and sisters, we may have 1000 'day 1s' but let's never stop trying.

Comment

Newbies Nest

A thousand day ones are a thousand days AF..

A hectic few weeks with barely time to breathe let alone log in here so I'm going to eat lunch and read through the threads.

Welcome to all the newbies, we know exactly what you are going through so don,t be afraid to ask anything, shout, scream or whatever. You may slip but the important is to start that day one again and don't use it as an excuse to drink until the weekend when you'll start clean again Monday morning, I can see that now.

Well me and hubs bought ourselves bikes at the weekend so I've been out with the kids on mine at every spare moment now that they have finally learnt how to go solo on theirs hard to believe that a few months ago after school run drinkie time was the thing that kept me going all afternoon, I'd rather be doing something with the kids now, Jim the difference in them when you quit is amazing, I just didn't realise how much everything affected them, being tipsy around them, hiding my drinking, mood swings when I couldn't drink, hangovers the next day affecting my patience with them oh and advoiding other parents at school as much as possible.

Well we're seriously considering taking on four kittens who were abandonded and had being living rough for a while so much so that the cat sanctuary were convinced they were ferral until a few days ago, we have a meeting with the owners of the sanctuary tonight so I'll update you, between that and various kids things at the school looking to be another busy few days.

Life is so much easier without alcohol:h

Right time to catch up hope everyone is doing well
        WHAT CAN I SAY? I DON'T WANT TO PLAY ANYMORE..

Just taking it day by day.......

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all, well I made it through day 1! I had to stay focused every minute. But i actually did it thanks to reading all of your posts. I realize today though that I need a plan!!!!!!!!

Thanks to all of you that emphasized that. Each day brings a new challenge, and I won't make it through without a solid plan. My husband has joined us on vacation today, so our typical predinner "happy hour" will be today's challenge. My goal is to log in here at the top of every hour to keep me focused. And to work on my PLAN!
          Thanks for the tips, keep them coming, it helps so much.
          Day 2, I can do this!

New Shoes

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello everyone. Beautiful sunny day here in Ireland so going out to lie in it and read a book. Kids away so going to make the most of it. Went for a swim today and done 100 lengths - so chuffed with myself. My norm is 50 or on good day 64. Now that would have been impossible on my nightly Chardonnay fill!
            Going to a family day at the races tomorrow so should be a bit of craic.
            LIS, Lav, Jim and NShoes, hi. Newshoes you've made a great start. I also agree with everything that you all say about the children. Everything justs get better. I have 4 teenagers and consider myself very lucky that they are happy and grounded, even more so when I am AF. You really need to be on your toes and available to pick them up when they are teenagers as there are so many things that could happen. If I were lying like the zombie that I have been, they could so easily pull the wool over my eyes. As it is now I know where they are and can tell if they've had a drink. Haha, boots on the other foot now!
            IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
            Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello all!!!

JimG & New shoes - you need a plan!!!! https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html
              Use the tools to write yourselves good solid plans & then cimmitment yourselves to sticking with the plan. What do you have to lose?????? Absolutely nothing but you have everything to gain
              Fear of commiting was a big problem for me too. One day I just decided - screw it - I'll give it a try And here I am now happily & healthily AF

LIS, glad you dropped in & congrats on your AF success! It does make a huge difference. You just don't know until you finally get yourelf there! Good luck with the kittens!

Daisy - you have 4 teenagers?? Wow, that's a LOT of work. You really do need to be at the top of your game Wishing you continued success!

Still extremely hot & humid here today. Looks like thunderstorms may be on the way. Hope it breaks this uncomfortable weather pattern
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Gets kind of lonely not having old trusty alcohol around to distort reality. You begin to see how people really (myself included) are and don't have the option of blurring out their (my) asocial or antisocial actions and behaviors. I know there are many good people in the world and even some great ones. But the circles I have traveled in they are far and few between. Have taken up reading again and also thinking of getting another dog. In my travels away from AL I am expecting to come across many feelings I haven't had for some time. I also expect to kindle new healthy relationships with old and new friends as well as with many things I enjoyed doing before alcohol became my main focus allowing me to skate through life not really truly living. Just thinking out loud as I go through day 10 AF. Feeling fine and looking forward to getting into shape. I think this may actually turn out being fun.
                Imagine ~ME~ enjoying life without buzzes and hangovers.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Daisy, it struck me what you say about being available for your kids. I had convinced myself that since I only drink at night, and usually it's at home that I am keeping danger away. What if there was an emergency while I was finishing off the bottle? Would I get in the car?? Would I even wake up? So much danger I am creating.
                  The tool box is helpful, a little overwhelming, so I am trying to piece it together slowly.
                  Half way through Day 2 and working toward day 3.

New shoes

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day 9 here ...

This has been my hardest so far ... really bad witching hour lasted for 5 hours ...

Installed some outdoor sockets to occupy my mind and drank about 10 cups of tea ...

Whatever works I suppose!
                    AF July 4th 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

New Shoes; I think I escaped any bother by the skin of my teeth. When they had discos I always picked them up and drank when they got home. But now they are out later and up to more....have to be on the ball!!!
                      I normally drank when I knew they were safe at home - or so I convinced myself! They were actually living with probably more danger! I shudder to think of the times I woke at all hours of the morning to find burned out cigarette butts or holes in clothes; kitchen full of smoke from oven or fryer; window open wide enough to let someone in; front door unlocked! I have just covered my face in shame at what I have written, but there it is.....
                      They deserved then and deserve now, better! And they are getting it. One day at a time....
                      IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                      Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day 3, not drinking and it's after work reward time so this is a change .......reading posts to get through the breaks in the day and the crazy thoughts that this time might end up different.....getting through it but the idea of stopping for "one" seems great until I admit i am just fooling myself as it would be 12 or more and it would be trouble at home and looking and smelling like crap tomorrow morning.....so I guess I'll pass on the "one" for tonight....thanks for your posts...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hypernova, I can relate to newness of sobriety feeling like loniless - at first! But in a short time things will change for the better. I felt so free after being mired down for so long with anxiety/depression worsened by AL. I feel like a completely different person these days & you will too

New shoes, be grateful for your decision to take back control of your life & keep those precious kids & yourself safe. Congrtas on 2 AF days!

RemorseBeGone, congrats to you for 9 AF days! Some days are just harder than others but you're doing great. BTW, my favoite these days is decaf green tea - drink tons of it

Clockwatcher, day 3 AF is a turning point! Make it thru today & be extra proud tomorrow

Daisy, it's so nice to be able to see positive results so quickly, don't you think??

Keep going everyone & wake up proud tomorrow!
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello everyone. Looks like a slow day here!

I had a busy Tuesday and I'm exhausted. And the humidity is killing me! Where is the nice walking weather?

Have a wonderful AF night all!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters,

Just checking in day 52 AF for me.

Things I miss about alcohol:

:H:H:H
                              THOUGHTS become THINGS
                              choose the GOOD
                              ones!

AF since 5/22/11 :boxer: Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.............

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hope everyone is getting the better of the monster tonight. Barbara, it's amazing how we see alcohol for what it is after we have had some time to clear the head. What I used to think was my best friend, always there when you needed it, and always delivered as promised - now I see it for what it is and there is nothing to miss! Great work on 52 days.
                                2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

Working...
                                X