Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Lav's right, day 3 is a turning point, so is day 7. But once you get to day 13 it's like a change of thinking..maybe an acceptance. Anyway, it gets easier and that's what I am all about! One drink ain't gonna do any of us any good, now will it?
    102 degrees here today...I was sweating worse than Paris Hilton at a spelling bee....(groan).
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hot up north here in PA too Byrdie :H
      mylife, it will probably be October before I feel like taking a walk

Hello Barbara, allswell & everyone! Great to see so many positive posts today.

I'm calling it a day so I'll wish everyone a safe night in the Nest!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey all

:thanks: For your posts, they do make me determined to continue on this path.

Tonight will be 10 days AF. My spreadsheet for me (and Mrs Mist too) showing the $ savings we have made by not drinking ALis going great.

However, I have had a cold for practically the last week or so which I can't get rid of and generally am feeling a bit "under the weather". Just thought it was our winter but maybe it is withdrawal symptoms - going to have a check on the forum...

Read a few posts about being with AL and kids...... our two are just in their teens now but I defo think I need to set a good example. Can remember taking them for a bike ride when they were younger and wobbling all over the place due to AL... what was I thinking??

Keep at it and keep smiling.

mr mist

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

red mist, I really believe when don't do a whole lot of thinking with AL on board!
          Quitting now is the best thing you can do for yourself & your kids. Congrats on your 10 AF days - terrific! Make sure you're taking some good vitamin supplements & drinking lots of water. You should be feeling great real soon

I have work this morning, meeting 2 friends for lunch then expecting my daughter & granddaughter for dinner so there will be no time for AL in my life today
          Wishing everyone a wonderful AF Wednesday!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Newbies,
            Thanks RemorseBG & Daisy for your encouragement on Day 8- great to have 3 of us living on the same island of Ireland together. Day 10 yippee!
            I am feeling great now. I am just back from a run, my youngest child rode my bike & I ran, then we went to the beach for a quick dip. Now we are home to make a picnic & are walking back to the beach for the afternoon to meet friends. A great day off work- am leaving all of my 'jobs' for later as it is just too nice outside.
            I have decided to set myself a clear goal of 90 days AF. By then I am hoping that I will be so used to it & feeling so great I will never go back. I am planning to run my 1st marathon in December so that will help to keep me focused.
            Barbara I love your post about the what you miss- so funny.
            Red Mist that is a great idea about the spreadsheet. (I am putting €5 a day away for every day I don't drink, except for Mondays as I never drank then. I had years of Day 1 Mondays. I am going to save up for something nice. ) And yes, much better example to our kids by not drinking, as well as being able to do things with them etc.
            Have a great day Newbies.
            SJ xxx :groupluv:

'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act but a habit.' Aristotle

Comment

Newbies Nest

Today marks the beginning of day 11 and I can feel the momentum swing to my side. This is a great thread and I find it gives me all the compelling info and support to get me to the next day and think ahead to where I might be or achieve. Thanks Lavande for your words. It is hard to see the light when you are looking through a peephole. The more days wracked up I guess the more apparent it will be that there is life (a better life) beyond what the blinders of AL have allowed me to experience. Thanks & I hope everyone has a wonderful day.:heart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day 1 (again). This sight really helps me realize the madness we are putting ourselves through. I'm done. gotta find a new way of life. I don't think I have ever tried to quit on a Wednesday, its usually Mondays! It doesn't matter what day, I need to move on. My wife will actually be upset to lose her drinking partner so I will need this site..

Comment

Newbies Nest

Here I am at day 7, I can't remember the last time I went a full week without wine. Has anyone else had problems with drunk shopping? Somehow I may not be able to walk or talk but I can get online to QVC and shop. I'd often come home to find boxes by the front door with no clue on when or what I had ordered. I used to laugh it off as sending a surprise gift to myself. Only now am I thinking about the money I wasted buying things I didn't really need and if I had been sober would never have ordered. Yesterday I received what I hope will be my last surprise present.

Comment

Newbies Nest

hey all, I have a rotten damn cold at the minute, my own fault for standign in the rain for 4 hours on sunday night but damn slipknot are worth it xD I am committed to quittign smokign next week (July 20th) and have drastically cut back on drinkign since I returned from the festival (1-2 beers a night maximum). I am now intent on sortign myself out for september when I start my uni course and have chosen to dedicate my life to the various arts I enjoy (music, drawing, writing, etc) and hope my new found direction will help me finalyl come to terms with and conquer my AL issues.

Lately I feel the main thing holding me back has been thoughts about my family, growing up, my father in particular. we resolved to search for him a couple of months ago now, and had hoped that there would be at least some confirmation fo whether he is alive or not by now, unfortunately no such luck. I realise now there is a big gap in my life not just because of his absence, but because of the total instability of my upbringing, I don't know whether I drink to have a constant, to maintain the chaos or to take control, all I know is that alot of things have gotten every out of hand for me lately, and I'd like to put an end to that.

Hope all in the nest are well, hope to be around more often

xIC
                    I have faced it, a life wasted, and I am never going back there again

To ya'll my name is inchy. I am an alcoholic - and priority number one is making it to the end of this day AF. No excuses.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Greetings SarahJane, Hypernova, DJL, crazy cat lady (how many cats do you have?) & IC

Good to see all of you here today!
                      Beating the AL demon really is all about saving your life & the lives of those around you, saving $$ which can be put to much better use & redirecting your life in a happier, healthier diretion

Doesn't matter what day of the week you start DJL! Today is a perfect day - just do it!!!
                      Commit yourself, get rid of any AL around the house or at least ask your spouse to keep theirs elsewhere (I did), use the great ideas in the Tool box to make yourself a solid plan & just do it!
                      My husband din't quit drinking or smoking when I did - that was his choice. It was also his choice to not live here anymore more than a year later. We can't control what others do - only ourselves.

IC - I really, really like your change in thinking! You have all of your life ahead of you & making good choices today will go far in making a happy future for you. It's a shame that your Dad is not in your life. That was his choice & his loss as well. Concentrate on you now & make the future good

I'm self-employed & took the afternoon off to meet some friends. Had a nice break but now I need to get back to work for a few hours
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Lavande. Actually i think I have been using her as an excuse why i can't quit. You're right, we have to just do it ourselves. Well getting ready to head home after work. First thing when I walk in after swearing off AL all day is to make a drink. I'm going to make tonight different. Wish me luck.

Comment

Newbies Nest

wishing you the best DJL, looking forward to hearing of your success
                          I have faced it, a life wasted, and I am never going back there again

To ya'll my name is inchy. I am an alcoholic - and priority number one is making it to the end of this day AF. No excuses.

Comment

Newbies Nest

DJL, i quit on a Thursday. I usually start things off on Mondays. Diets, quitting drinking...I guess all the Mondays I tried just weren't the right time. That one Thursday was...I was just sick and tired of it all. Like Lav says, it doesn't matter if you start on a Monday or Jan 1 or what...just start. I've looked at a lot of quit dates over the last 18 months, I don't ever recall seeing a Jan 1 date. When you start is when you start and that is that.
                            I would love to point a finger at something that drove me to abusing AL. An abusive mother, pressures at work, this reason or that reason....but no one forced that drink into my hand and into my mouth. The person to blame for this whole mess is me...and I found once I accepted that responsibility and stopped blaming other factors, the sooner I could move on. It doesn't matter how you got here...you are here, and it is up to one person to dig out of it.... not a spouse or significant other...not a parent or a child...it is up to ME. So far, so good. Byrdie
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

I agree Byrdlady, this is a self inflicted wound for me, lots of folks have had greater challenges and have not taken my get drunk every night route to living.....trouble is I like the beginning of the night, those first few...greater trouble is I can never stop at those first few....day 4 for me AF and it is seemingly tougher today than yesterday as I can rationalize controlled drinking now that I haven't been drunk for 3 days prior,,,,sad reality when that's my level of accomplishment but it is what it is and I am going to make the best of it....eating lots of candy today so I probably will be the first guy to give up beers and get fatter!

Comment

Newbies Nest

DJL, I wish everyone luck but mostly I hope you find the strength to make the commitment to something positive for yourself!

Clockwatcher - we all share that problem...........a broken OFF button. Not being able to stop after one or two. I did eat a lots of sweets myself in the beginning. my weight stayed the same. Didn't lose, didn't gain
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X