Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

same here with the weight, ate sweets like crazy, still do and not gaining. Be good to yourself right now, you can pull in the reighns when you aren't working so hard to distract yourself. 4 days is a huge start...took me a long time to string that many together in a row....so you keep on keepin on. So proud of all the hard work being put forth in the nest lately. It's work and it takes every trick you can tell yourself to pull thru, but trust me, it is worth it. I have to laugh when I hear about all the money yall are saving by not drinking...I drank the really cheap stuff, bag in the box! Oh well...I'm a cheap drunk, what can I say? I can't imagine drinking as much as I drank if it were costing 10 bucks a bottle! I guess AL is AL...everyone keep on your strap belts and hang on! Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdie,
      I should have mentioned that I did gain weight when I quit smoking though - 13 lbs. - geez! I've worked off half of that but it's not easy when you're over 29 you know? :H

Wishing everyone a good, safe night in the Nest

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

We all have scars and pain from the past. I know that when I was younger I actually thought I would die by 35 and that thought just kept me going. At the time I didn't think I could bear a lifetime of the pain I was carrying around. My constitution was too strong and the nightly heavy boozing didn't do the job. What a waste of time and life. I didn't know any better then but I do now. For some dumb reason I still think "oh yeah, I can handle it" , when I know that is not true. Alcohol is a clever deceiver. But like the con you must be willing to be conned for it to work.
        I think the best way to handle the past is to concentrate on yourself in the present and take the best care of yourself that you can and enjoy life. It's waaaaay too short not to and life doesn't offer up many second chances so go for it. Best to everyone
        Day 11 in the bag.

Comment

Newbies Nest

It's 0226 of day 5 for me, insomnia going strong but that's ok as I am not drunk which I probably was at the same time 6 days ago.....not going to be hungover today either so all is good,,,,posts are great way to get through the hours so thanks as they help me enjoy the past 5 days of new beginnings,,

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Clockwatcher and Hypernova - I like the way you descibe things. I can relate to it. I know that at 43, I am at the crossroads. I know that AF, good food and supplements plus exercise are my key to a long and healthy life. Emotionally I'm in a good space esp with what I've been through recently and I feel I'm close to the big commitment.
            Take care everyone and have a great night / morning / day etc

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning everyone:l

Clockwatcher I had terrible insomnia in the past when I've quit it's something to work through, I promise when you're sleeping AF free it is so much better than drink induced sleep, have you tried herbal sleeping tablets and chamomile tea? I drank buckets of that and it helped me sleep not the whole night but enough to keep me going and break that I can't sleep thought cycle.

Jim I'm glad you're feeling in a good place right ow, sometimes it takes us a while to get there but when we do everything feels clearer, glad you feel ready for that big step, you know you can do it, just believe in yourself.

I can honestly say yes somedays it is tough and the struggle from hell not to drink but I am both physically and emotionally stronger than I ever was when I was dependent on AL to get me through the day
              WHAT CAN I SAY? I DON'T WANT TO PLAY ANYMORE..

Just taking it day by day.......

Comment

Newbies Nest

Here we are, day 2!! Have only had 3 total AF free days this year. Still feeling the resolve to make this stick. Thanks for the support Lav, inchains and great advice byrdlady. I just need to take responsibility and move forward. Today should be no problem, at work and busy. My time is when I get home. I will check in before i leave for a dose of inspiration before the trigger time. To all of you in your first week we can do this, and to everyone with some AF time under your belt, thanks for sticking with us newbies.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

DJL, good for you getting to day 2 & YES we will be here for support
                  I will never forget what it feels like to be a newbie! Sticking close to MWO really helped me

Hypernova, congrats on your 11 AF days! I absolutely agree, living in the present is the only way! The past is history & we can't change it no matter how hard we wish to.

Clockwatcher, congrats on 5 AF days!!! I know the insomnia stinks, have dealt with that myself. But an unhung morning is a fabulous morning don't you think??

JimG, you're making changes & moving forward - good for you! It's never too late to start taking really good care of yourself & ensuring a good future.

LIS, you're getting closer to your goal as well, great

Wishing everyone a terrific AF Thursday!
                  Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

I've been reading MWO for some time, and decided on July 1 to take the challenge to be AF for the entire month. The first few days were stressful- my issue is wine when I get home from work. It slowly went from 1 glass, to 2, to a bottle each evening over a few years. It's ridiculous, and I'm done wasting even one more second of my life for a bit of buzz in the evening, only to sleep restlessly and feel dumpy the next day. And then, to do it all over again the next day - unreal cycle, that must end. Today is my day 14. I fill the time from 5-8:00 PM with totally distracting activities, and it helps. I'm going to make that month AF...I feel so much better, I can't believe I didn't take this lifestyle on earlier. Here's to another AF day! :new:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thats great Done with :goodjob:

AL just consumes us until we fight back, it knows it has made us weak and uses that fact against us. Even the buzz diminshes eventually leaving us with nothing but wanting to sink into the bottom of yet another bottle

Be positive and distraction is definately the key, break the routines around your drinking.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Jim G I feel compelled to respond to your post. I was in your shoes a few years back but instead of going AF I went with the crowd. Several times I quit once for 8 mos. on my own only to fold. No plan ~ just wandering waiting for alcohol to grab me. Unfortunately I did not have a computer back then and I knew I was definitely not an AA person. I had no access to a site like this that would have been of tremendous value back then, you do. So what's my point. Don't give up a life for booze. You will make many bad decisions that will cast a shadow into your future. You will not take care of yourself physically or mentally and your life will not be what it could. So with experience under my belt I urge you to do the right thing and seriously consider your options. Take care, hyper

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good post Hypernova ~ true words

Welcome Donewith poison! Great name
                          Congrats to you on your 14 AF days! Powerful feeling, isn't it??
                          Thanks for joining us & stick around the nest for a while, plenty of room!

Keep busy everyone! I'm in my shop working with a cup of decaf coffee distracting me
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Having a hard day 11 here ...

In very bad mood for no reason but ... I am sober ...
                            AF July 4th 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

RemorsebeGone!

We all have bad days ~ it's the human condition
                              But choosing to drink doesn't help anything in the long run.

Stand up for yourself, stay strong & be proud to wake up unhung tomorrow on day 12!!

You can do it
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

hi remorse

we all have days like that, not drinking just adds to the feeling but it will pass honey, i went through a period like this i felt so much hatred to someome who really didnt even figure much in my life, it was totally irrational but it was just a mood swing and it passed eventually. your body is stil adjusting to being AF so there will be highs and lows. Stay strong and imagine how womderful it will be waking up hangoverless

Comment

Working...
                                X