Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Clockwatcher, it sounds like we had very similar weekends about 14 days ago. Isn't it amazing how much better this weekend feels? I was up bright and early and went to a few garage sales, something I used to enjoy but stopped doing because I was bed-ridden with hangovers every Saturday. It just feels wonderful to have the entire day in front of me and NOT feel sick!

Gregorino, I have a pretty lousy job, too. I'm just scraping by with what they pay me and the 2 guys who own the business are nuts. But, you are right: we are VERY lucky to have jobs right now and I remind myself of that and the very sweet co-workers I see every day. Your plan to go home and have a nice dinner is excellent! I'm enjoy food SO much more now!

Remorse, 20 days?! Wow, good for you!! I, too, think of that warm, buzzy feeling after a glass or 2 of wine. But I never, never, never stop there - every single time, if I take even a sip, I will put away at least 1 entire bottle and be bombed and making a fool of myself, slurring my words, getting weepy or angry, stumbling, falling and finally passing out. And, we all know about the "cold gray dawn of the morning after." No more for us, right?!

Lavande, you are such a treasure. How frightening to have injured your head; thank God you recovered! It really is hard to think of how so many of us have abused ourselves. I suppose my worst was falling down and breaking a rib - I was in severe pain for weeks, but continued to drink. Oh, something interesting I noticed last night. I was brushing my teeth and when I was looking in the mirror I noticed that my face looks different. I was getting a bit of a bloated look and it is now gone! I can actually bear to look at myself again ... in more ways than one!

I hope everyone has a terrific, SOBER weekend!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Enough, YAY!!! You should be proud! I'm sure it won't be all smooth sailing for any of us, but don't you feel SO much better? Two weeks sober!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

My face looks much thinner too!!! And my skin is less dry?? I'm so proud of everyone for hanging in with this. Every day that passes will be easier to see how you can continue this. It's too overwhelming to think about, so just take it a little at a time. Keep yourself out of trouble...that is a passing phrase, but I mean it literally. Don't put yourself in the wine aisle, don't start thinking about it...it leads to action. Think of something else, anything else..name the 7 Dwarfs, it doesn't take long to get yourself out of that downward spiril. I promise! Just change the subject on yourself. You control your thoughts at least!! I am beaming that so many of us are gaining control of a powerful demon. I never thought I'd be offering advice on how to quit, since I could never do it before. I''m so happy to be where I am now. Thanks to all, every post matters. Byrdie
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

I'm very happy you are here & doing so well Byrdie.
          Afterall, I will have to retire from the Nest one of these days :H
          I just realized today I will have 2 1/2 years AF in September. Did I ever think that was going to happen? NO WAY!!!!

Keep going Nesters, you won't be sorry
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

What great posts to come home to!
            Had I not just caved on the first crave on previous Day 10, there'd be 21 days under my belt today. Heck, I'd like be a Newbie First Class or something!
            But, I won't dwell on how I wish I coulda woulda shoulda... I did and that's that. My back will likely be sore for another week or two, so I'll have a handy physical reminder of what not to do again....
            Great stuff here today, so grateful for y'all and hoping the other brand-newbies are hanging tough too!
            Sleepin sober tonite! WooHoo!!
            -Cap'n G

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sleeping sober rock gregorino
              You already are a Newbie First Class - just don't look for a pay raise :H

Huge clouds have moved in over my portion of the Nest......thunder rumbling in the distance & one of my dogs has secured herself in my stall shower. Everything is right with Lav tonight

Wishing everyone a safe night in the Nest!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

3 weeks in and I am very enthusiastic about being AF. Put myself in harms way at a party I had to attend. Made my mind up beforehand. It does get easier to say no. Looking forward to achieving 30. Wishing everyone a good week.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Show Hypernova!
                  -Cap'n G

Comment

Newbies Nest

Toss and Turn and Spaz

I was dead tired at 10 PM....Then just all itchy and scratchy and awakey at 1 AM. Dang!
                    Having a Sleepy Time tea...
                    -Cap'n G

Comment

Newbies Nest

14 days down, woke up this am completely different than 2 weeks ago Sunday, BETTER morning for sure, lots of work ahead and miss drinking beers ( the fun, early part of the drinking session......not the end of the night, sick the next day part....) but accept I am an alcoholic who is powerless over booze, there is a reason it always ends bad and that's it.....thanks for letting me share and thanks for all your posts as I read them everyday, throughout the day ( well at least for the past two weeks )...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

Hypernova, congrats for navigating yuor way thru the party AF. It will get easier, I promise

gregorino, what's up with the itching? Right now I'm dealing with yet another case of poison ivy Talk albout itching!!! Hope you're better soon.

Clockwatcher, congrats on 14 AF days! Two weeks does make a huge difference. Always remember this happy, healthy feeling

Wishing everyone a good AF Sunday! I have lots & lots to do today including family & grandkids coming for dinner

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy Sunday everyone! Day 13 today and I'm feeling fine.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Had a setback yesterday but today is a new day and I will get back on track. I have been on the Paleo Diet since April and just the last couple weeks really began to follow it fully. Along with the diet I've been doing Cardio 1 hour a day, 2 days a week along with 2 days of muscle building for 1 hour a day. I feel fantastic so why then do I want to include vodka drinks??? It definitely isn't part of the diet plan. Letting go is hard, even for 1-2 days a week. I drink in the day so I don't wake up hungover. Doesn't really make sense does it? My next challenge is saying no. I have a reminder in my phone that alerts me twice a day to NOT DRINK. Let's see if this works. Thanks for listening.
                            'You might not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you!' - Walt Disney

I like living. I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly, acutely miserable, racked with sorrow, but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing. ~Agatha Christie

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day 2 again for me- but feel I am 'getting there'.
                              I had a very scary moment yesterday which is still causing me to shudder. I was driving home from the city with my 10 year old daughter & I was very tired, as I hadn't slept much at all the night before due to AL. I was driving around a very long bend when I realised I was going too fast & I very nearly lost control of the car. I managed to slow down & stay in control but thought my heart would burst it was beating so fast. I don't know how many more messages or near misses I need to decide to stop AL for good. Think that one has done it for me- every time I look at my daughter today it reminds me how precious life is & what destruction AL can cause.

I am not on the Atkins Diet- Day 5 today & have lost 2 pounds. My scales haven't moved for ages so I am pleased as I have 20 plus pounds to loose. I know it will be faster now that I am not going to guzzle a bottle of red on a Friday night again- or any other night.
                              I have just joined the gym as well & have done 2 good sessions & had 2 swims in the last few days. Will keep my running program up for my marathon in Dec. I got membership for the family- all 6 of us, for less than I was spending on wine/week. A slightly healthier choice!

Hope all the nesters are having a great Sunday.
                              SJ xxx :groupluv:

'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act but a habit.' Aristotle

Comment

Newbies Nest

Tiredofit--Good for you for coming back here and getting back on track. One step at a time.

SarahJane--Life is precious. Sometimes it takes a scare like that to bring clarity in your life. I'm glad you're both okay and I'm glad you're here taking it one day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                                X