Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

I agree with all that has been said above; I would add that a mistake I made was expecting to feel better real fast, that didn't happen overnight nor does it at day 19 always seem that my life is super better BUT, i know it is definitely better than when I am drinking and the physical changes are measurably improved.....I sabotaged my previous attempts by quiting when I didn't have instant gratification, I am finding patience helps...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks for the Kudos FlyAway...Not a sailboat owner yet, but may be very soon...seriously contemplating a boat as our home - living at the marina! I have my eye on one..she's named Chapter Two (i think that's some kind of divine sign!)

Byrdie - You slay me! I love the way you just throw the cards on the table. Thanks

Turnagain - Great idea re: having a plan for Montana...I like the visualizing Byrdie was talking about

RBG _ Nice going...bet you can smell a month AF! What a pile of cash...got any special plans for all that money?!!

4ME - Hey, your handle says it all - You gotta do this for you - Are ya sick and tired of being sick and tired? Welcome, keep checking in, get the book.

Clock - Great point about patience...I never had much either...probably on the same genome as our propensity to drink like fish. Are you hitting the gym? I've worked out every day this week so far...cardio one day, strength the next, and today when I got out of the gym and went to work I felt like a million bucks! OK, maybe ten thousand, but it's the best I've felt in a long, long time! Of course, I haven't been 10 days without a drink in at least 3 years... so I'm sure that has something to do with it too!

Great stuff in here today Nesters - Thank you all!
      -Cap'n G

Comment

Newbies Nest

Patience and gratitude I think are two very important considerations when you quit drinking!

4me, we are all different so what works for one may not be right for you! Try to be as honest as possible with yourself. I BS'd myself for years thinking i didn't really
        have a problem. But the day finally came when I knew I had to quit so I did. It wasn't easy at first, it was damn hard but I have never regretted my decision for a second. What worked for me was a strong desire & commitment to quit....no matter what. I dumped the last of the wine down the drain & packed away wine glasses, corkscrew, etc to get them out of sight. I vowed to never step foot in another wine store & I haven't. I stayed close to home & avoided people/situations that may have endangered my quit. I used the MWO Hypno CDs regularly. I worked on changing my thinking from deprivation to gratitude. Each AF day makes you stronger & you will feel healthier & proud of your accomplishment. Think about it & make your plan fit your needs

Clockwatcher, instant gratification is something our egos feed on - it's BS really. As adults we know we need to work & wait ~ gratification wil come You are doing great!!!

bwendo, hello, welcome & congrats to you on your 100 days AF! Fantastic :yay:
        Hope you stick around with us for a while!

Byrdie, how come you didn't like gummy worms? :H
        Whatever works right???

I had a fabulous evening with my 2 grandsons. One is 2 1/2 the other a little less than 4 months. If I was still drinking - this evening never would have happened
        That's why I am so grateful to be AF!

Wishing everyone a safe night in the Nest!
        Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just home from work and too tired to chat much. I've got an early shift tomorrow so I've got to be up and going in 6 hours. Still feeling strong and AF! Good night everyone. I'll try to stop in tomorrow night.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lav, you are right, I need to come up with what works for me. I can't stay close to home, work and all. I just will have to be stong enough to stick to the plan I come up with. I use to be such a health nut, I want to be that again. That is one of my biggest concerns. The fact that to much alcohol can increase many health risks.

Have a good night all.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Ooops, all of my post didn't make it, technical issues.

Gregornio, I will get the book. I am excited to have the first step of my plan.

Turnagain, I was born and raised in MT. I live in CA now. What area are you going to. It is beautiful there, enjoy!

Good night again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

4me....it's great that you're heading back in the right direction. Looking for information and asking for support are very important steps. You're arming yourself to put down the bottle. You can do it!

What part of MT are you from? We're going to S. Big Fork (Flathead Lake) for the wedding. It's been more than 20 years since we've been in that part of MT. It reminds me of Alaska...except it's warmer. The whole family is coming along....we're flying into Spokane and then driving. Road Trip!

Speaking of driving...I made it through two BBQ parties last weekend w/o drinking on my AF debut by volunteering to be the designated driver.
                Sober for the Revolution!
                AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning, Everyone! Today is the 3-week mark for me .... Wow! And I'm so glad that it's Friday! For quite a few years now, this would be my night to get completely s**t-faced. Once I decided to quit drinking, Friday scared me because I knew it would be tempting. Well, it doesn't feel quite so tempting now. I think the glut is helping and I also make sure to have plans to fill this particular evening. Tonight it's out to dinner with a friend. When my kids were little and I wasn't drinking, I SO looked forward to Friday nights, a nice dinner, and the entire weekend ahead. That's how I want all of my Fridays to feel from now on! I wish you all a very happy and sober Friday!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Friday morning Nesters!

Great to see everyone moving forward & enjoying their AF time. It makes such a huge difference, doesn't it??

Get those weekend plans in order & keep enoying your AF time

Wishing a great day to one & all!

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy Friday Nesters!

Lav - You are so right - can't forget about the gratitude. I have read about a Universal Law that states you get more of what you express gratitude for. I am very grateful to be more sober today than I have been in over 3 years! I'll have some more of that please!!

4Me - Yeah, I'm not long into this, but am definitely finding that the workout is an important element - psychologically and physically!! Actually starting to look forward to the gym . maybe the ol endorphin response is coming back!!

Clover - You are doing AWESOME...I can't wait to get to 3 weeks as that will be another milestone...Haven't gone THAT long AF in 7 years!!

I am meeting the gent who is selling the sailboat I might buy tomorrow...pretty psyched about that. Off to the gym and then to work....will check back tonight.

Have a stellar AF day fellow nesters!!
                      -Cap'n G

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters,
                        Day 7 for me- feeling pretty good but very aware this day last week I was doing just fine & it all changed in a minute when I decided to have a nice Friday evening glass of wine. Had been listening to the radio in the car & everyone was phoning in with their plans for 'the Friday feeling'. Lots of them were buying an icecream or getting a pizza, some were talking about meeting up with someone special. But about a third involved buying 'a cold chardonnay' etc- and I couldn't get the thought out of my head. So today I am prepared mentally to continue AF. I am reminding myself how bad I felt last Sat(when I nearly had a car accident), eating very well, taking my supps and will listen to my CD.
                        Thurs were always my trigger night to start the weekend- didn't even think about wine last night so I am making progress.

Happy Friday Nesters.
                        SJ xxx :groupluv:

'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act but a habit.' Aristotle

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello all. Tomorrow will mark 4 weeks for me. I would like to say that this definitely would not have been likely without all the info and support from this site. Thank you!! I humbly look forward to freedom from alcohol but know what a fragile point I am at. There remain many challenges to not drinking. A working plan that is always evolving seems most logical and helpful. Some of the challenges I will face are known and there are others that will pop up unexpectedly. I need to be ready for both. I am now nervous about losing something I have worked on to achieve. Hopefully that nervous energy can be used to fight for what I want. In the past I have always returned to alcohol. Not sure why I wouldn't this time. It seems incredible the amount of power we give up to alcohol. Guess I am just a little unsure of myself right now. I have hope that I will find renewed strength when I need it. I better get busy living. ~~~ regards & :thanks: everyone,
                          hyper

Comment

Newbies Nest

hello all, I do need to follow the above advice and start working out more, need to fill some former drinking time, especially on a Friday....I am very unsure of myself right now and have been for past 20 sober days, thats how I am staying sober so far by recognizing that I don't know what I am doing and just doing the not drinking thing....everytime my mind tells me I can handle booze now in moderation I remind myself I don't know what the hell I am doing and don't take a drink....the past 20 days of my life have been like the Seinfeld episode where George decides to do the opposite of whatever his instincts tell him to do and he achieves some personal success, thats what I am doing right now, so far ( day 20 af right now) so good, fingers crossed for tomorrow....thanks

Comment

Newbies Nest

greg, it's true - what you put out there in the universe comes back to you
                              Hope the sailboat deal works out for you

SarahJane - congrats on your 7 days AF! That's a milestone & you want to keep going in that direction, no matter what, right? Friday night is the same as any other night ~ no need to drink

Hyper, congrats to you on the eve of your 1 month AF anni - great work!
                              A life crisis can pop up unexpectedly but you don't have to drink through it. I certainly did not expect my chronically depressed husband to run out on me more than a year after I was AF & married 37 years. I chose to not drink over it - it wouldn't have changed a damn thing. I'm working on gratitude.....for my kids, grandkids & my freedom from the chains of AL! You can & will do the same thing

Clockwatcher, I have news for you....
                              You can do anything you want to do!!!!!! What would you like to do? What things have been on the backburner while AL was in control? You can do those things now - enjoy your new found & well deserved freedom. It's yours for the taking

OK, need to get back to work for a while.
                              Keep up the great work everyone!
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lavande, yours is the voice of reason. I just want you to know that I appreciate all your responses to everyone. You are kind and thoughtful, thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X