X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

RBG,
    Congrats on your 27 AF days - terrific
    I think a lot of us experience changes in feelings/mood when we quit. Depression can be complex to say the least. I know in my case the depression came first, then the drinking followed by worsening depression & crippling anxiety. It's different with everyone really. Take a look at this article ~ see if anything applies to you. Causes of Depression: Genetics, Illness, Abuse, and More

Nothing wrong in talking to your Doc on Monday, hope you feel better very soon.:l
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evening Nestofarians!

Fly - Love that confidence level! Keep it up!!

Byrdie - Another fabulous post. You're worth the price of admission alone! If I figure out how to create links, I'm gonna save that post and refer all future newbies to read it. It's just pure gold. Thank you for all you do here.

Lav - It aint over til it's over...I'm thinking the boat deal still might have a chance, we'll see...there's tons of them out there...this is the second deal I've tried to do. Gives me an added boost to stay sober...being pig drunk on a boat is pretty dangerous!

Take2 - Nice piece of work...Keep it going!!

RBG - Hang in there friend...Don't know much about depression, but beer sure was a very close associate of mine for way too long...kinda overstayed his welcome...and with friends like that, who needs enemies? We're all pulling for you!

Had a mild confrontation with The Voice this afternoon...Saturday was the day that did me in 3 weeks ago, and it's the end of my work week that ends with the PM Friday shift and AM Saturday shift, so by 4 PM Sat The Voice says I deserve a beer or two...I swalowed three kudzus and reminded myself there's no such thing as a beer or two - that's a big fat lie. It's always 8 or 10 and then fall down. Came home and put on the Clearing CD and was G-O-N-E!!! Had a nice dinner and some quality family time. So, that 2 Saturdays in a row for Gregorino / None for The Voice!!
      Now, to make it 3 - Zip!
      -Cap'n G

Comment

Newbies Nest

Loved the clearing CD too Greg
        Good job not listening to the mind chatter - it's all BS & we know it now

Wishing everyone a safe night in the Nest!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Evening, Everyone! I felt pretty down earlier tonight, but I think it was mostly exhaustion. The topic of depression is interesting. For me, anxiety was a more constant companion. Drinking provided a very quick and instant sense of relaxation and relief; but the more I drank, the more awful the day after became and not just because of being hung over but because of being so awfully depressed. I don't feel depressed now, but some of the anxiety is still there. I really MUST get those CDs and start listening! I learned some good relaxation techniques a long time ago, but in recent years chose the more immediate and easy way of wine. That, obviously, does not and will not work for me anymore. I don't even want to try moderation, because for me it will not be possible. I don't even understand why anyone would want 1 or 2 drinks! I went out for dinner with a good friend last night, one I would usually drink with. We both had iced tea and it was really and truly SO much more fun, our conversation was SO much more interesting ... and I remembered all of it I wish you all a peaceful and sober Saturday night!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey all. I am about 2/3 of the way through the My Way Out book. As I was reading it I thought, dang I am an angel compared to these two. He he. I am at the part were she is talking about the side effects of Topomax. It's funny, my doctor gave me a prescription of Topomax for my essential tremor, (neuroligical disorder), I was to afraid to try it. Alcohol actually helps lessen the tremor greatly, unless you drink to much and then the next day it's the rebound affect. Yikes! They are doing research on putting it in a pill form for people with ET. I will be ordering the CD's as well. I think I am going to love the relaxation. I had two glasses of wine earlier this evening. Now I am enjoying some lovely water with lemon. It's a start. I have been thinking alot about my plan. I am going to finish the book and put it in writing.
            Have a great evening!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sober Sunday

Morning Nesters!

How glorious to wake up before dawn after a restful (mostly!) night without a pounding head, bleeding eyes and a sense of dread. Made some yummy cafe con leche, went to the local bagel store (you know, bagels are still hot at 6 AM!!), and am enjoying the serenity of being up and about while the world around is still.

I got my CD's for free! I was spending about 10 dollars a day to get myself stupid every night. Twelve days of staying off the stupid train paid for my CD's!!

Clover - Great news on the dinner with friend and iced tea. And we're so worried life without AL is going to suck. No, we are learning, it's the AL that sucks the life from us.

4Me - I dove into strict abstinence on July 1 with no plan, other than I was ready to stop giving into The Voice every afternoon/evening. I crashed hard on day 9. THEN, I started to understand what everyone here with some time sober was talking about re: having a plan. So, this time around I am better prepared and sticking to my plan best I can. I'm the type who thinks instructions have to be followed to the "T", so I am still waiting for Topomax to arrive from God knows where. Each new day of sobriety makes me wonder if I really need that part of the plan or not....Would prefer not to take meds if I don't need to.... more research is required - I guess there's a thread for that I should get involved with...

Check back in a little later...Happy Sober Sunday!!
              -Cap'n G

Comment

Newbies Nest

Gregorino, I was just thinking yesterday about how much money I've saved over the last 3 weeks. It's pretty astonishing how much I was spending on wine. I had to buy decent types so that I could convince myself I was some sort of wine connoisseur - hah! At 1 - 2 bottles per binge, several times a week, I was spending a small fortune. And I don't make very much money. Good riddance to it!

Saturday and Sunday mornings are just so wonderful now. What a blessing to wake up early feeling good and not sick! I love this time of day!

I hope everyone has a lovely, sober Sunday!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

Saving $$ is a huge part of the plan
                  I've been buying some new things for my home & spoiling the grandkids too!

Greg, not everyone takes Rx meds - I didn't. I believe the CDs changing my thinking was the ticket for me.

4me, get that plan together by all means & work up a fierce commitment to leave the wine behind & take back full control of your life - you won't be sorry!

Grateful to be alive & unhung this morning with you guys
                  Wishing everyone a wonderful AF Sunday.

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning everyone! Today is day 29 and I am beginning to believe that I just may be able to do this long term. If I screw up I have the knowledge of how to get back to being AF, though I don't plan on putting myself through that start over period. Rather would let the wind be at my back and float with the idea of not drinking anymore (just haven't gotten to the point of never yet/though I am working on it).

4me~~ I also have ET and several in my family do as well. When I was younger 1/2 a drink would make my hands steady like a rock. As you probably know time and more alcohol make it worse. I was on a beta blocker for it & then primadone. The first just slowed me to a crawl and the 2nd I just didn't tolerate. It is a problem but I work around it now. Wish I had known how to deal years ago b/c it definitely affected the quality of my life. Staying away from too much caffeine helps more than any of the drugs I took. Well must be off. Nice to meet somebody else with ET.

Comment

Newbies Nest

I have to jump in here & mention that I also have ET. That's incredible that 3 of us are dealing with the same affliction. I stubbornly refuse to take any meds for it because everything causes me side effects ~ even some supplements. I allow myself one large cup of coffee in the morning but it's decaf the rest of the day, which helps.
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy Sunday everyone! Stayed up late last night reading the book, will finish today. I'm getting excited to have control over my health and well being!

Greg, I didn't realize I had so much planning to do. Ha Ha. Are you going to try the topamax? I am so sensitive to drugs, not sure about it? The tapes seem like they will be a fantastic way to go. I will be ordering them today.

Lav, thanks for you words of wisdom. I realize I must finish the book before I put the polish on my plan.

Hypernova, It is nice to have a friend here with ET! I also have familial tremor as well as my three boys. My only daughter doesn't have it. In my family it seems to skip a sex for some reason. My brothers didn't have it and myself, my mom and sister do. Weird stuff. It is easy to rely on alcohol to control the tremor in social situations. I also tried meds, hate them. Have you tried the Topamax? I am wondering if it does work on the tremor? No tremor, weight loss and no desire to drink, it sounds like a miracle pill. I am scared to death of the not being able to think side affect and work though. If anyone has tried it, let me know.

Lav, I just read your post. Yes, thats very interesting that 3 of us have it. It does not surprise me that we all took to alcohol giving it's ability to temporarily reduce the tremor. Yah, caffiene is the worst for the tremor. Have either of you been on the Wemove website? There is some interesting information there.

Have a great day all!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just checking in from getting ready for party #2. Yesterday was the going away party for a coworker/friend. Four hours at a bar where I was the only person not drinking! I sipped water, ate hot wings, and took photos of the party to send to our friend. My husband drank quite a bit and then I drove the two of us home. There was a brief second when everyone was ordering their first drink where the thought flashed through my mind, but I'd say the craving level was only about a 2 on a scale of 1-10.

I woke up bright and early and clear-headed this morning at 4:40! What the heck, I got up and starting making my dishes for our party tonight. So now I'm all done and I've still got about 4 hours before the party. Woo Hoo! Glad to be done early and have some time to relax.

Gregorino--Wow, wow, wow! You fought back with the voice and won! You can definitely make 3 Saturdays! I was up 4 hours before the rest of my house today. It's amazing what you can get done and how serene it is at dawn.

Clover--I feel the same as you about moderation. I don't think it will ever be possible for me and with the way I've been feeling lately, that's just fine. I'm really happy that you had fun with your friend without alcohol. I'm finding that life is pretty darn great without it too. And I have been depressed for years, but I've been so happy lately that I'm thinking about easing off my depression meds. I really don't think I need them. Did I drink because I was depressed or depressed because I drank?

4me--I've read so much about how you really need a plan to make a change. I think it's smart that you're investigating and making sound decisions about this.

Hypernova--Wow, 29 days is outstanding. You sound so confident.

Hi Lavande and Byrdie!

Comment

Newbies Nest

I just figured out I can edit a mistake on a name I made on my last post. How cool!

Flyaway, congrats on your control at the party. That is great!

Love this day and yourself!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well, Gang, you will never believe this.....I was diagnosed with Essential Tremors in Jan 2010! So that's 4 of us with it! From my Dad's side...wow...that is creepy statistacly (sp). I take 2 -200mg Primidone daily. I could tell a difference in my shakes THE NEXT DAY! It was such a sense of peacefulness....I can't describe it. Shaking is aggitating (this isn't a play on words.....it is uneasiness or unsettling) and to not shake was so tranquil. Drinking certainly did make it better...until other things got worse. My biggest side effect is sleepiness from the Primidone. I take a pretty high dose and have been considering cutting back. Reading the info on it tho, the withdrawls sound horrible. But now that I'm not drinking I do wonder if my shakes are as bad as they were....I have just decided to try to cut down gradually to see!!! Will let the nest know. Gosh it'd be great if I could cut down on that med, it's pretty powerful.
                              Grego, thank you for the very kind words. Since I am new on the subject of sobriety, I am only telling the group how it was for me...and I thought no body had thoughts like I did/do. So I am thrilled that I might be helping someone else in some way. It has been a difficult road, but I know I'm not alone. That gives me strength.
                              Good things happening here!!! Congrats to all who have strung days together...that is the goal. Love to all, Byrdie
                              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morining Nesters --- well, good afternoon!

Gym opens at 1pm, so I am heading over in a few minutes.
                                Began the day with gratitude to my higher power and MWO ---- you guys keep me going, inspire me. Hit 50 days today and I WANT 50 more.

Going to pick a good restaurant to celebrate - with my drink of choice these days - unsweetened iced tea and lots of lemon.

CLOVER, one of your earlier posts resonated with me: never thought I would be able to enjoy a dinner out without booze, but now I love the company, really taste and savor the food, and I have a cheaper bill without the booze. You also made me laugh when you described how you would act like the wine connaisseur in the liquor stores. God, I did that too - used to buy medium priced wines and thought I was a wine expert and then had the 1.5 liter bottle of cheap stuff stashed away after I guzzled the good stuff in an hour! We think we are being so sly and private yet the disease progresses in simialr ways....just uncanny.

enjoy the day nesters! embrace all that is good and beautiful in the day/let go of the rest.

Comment

Working...
                                X