Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

4me;1158315 wrote:
    Long day at work, still no time to shop for supplements and not a minute to order the cd's. Day 4 AF 4 me.
    4Me - Nice work on getting the 4 days under your belt...A thought about the time thing...funny how we always had time to drink everyday, and I know for me, this was never very productive time. Oh sure, maybe I could make dinner or do some laundry, but I couldn't really function outside the home. Make the time to get the supps and order the CD's...you will be significantly better armed for battle with both!
    -Cap'n G

Comment

Newbies Nest

Antabuse or Not

Good Morning Noxy & Stopper! Thanks for showing up! I have never taken antabuse, but I do know exactly what it does. Noxy, you say you don't trust yourself, then maybe that's reason enough to take it - you'll actually be able to use both plans - tell your lunch mates you're doing a detox (so true!) AND have the antabuse on board for backup.
      Stopper - It's not really you that's stopping you from taking it - It's the AL soaked brain cells trying to keep the door open for a possible fix. As you say, it takes the choice away, so by not taking it, you are leaving yourself open to the possibility of drinking and that is not the YOU that is committed to sobriety - Also, I would think about choosing other recipes that don't call for wine - at least during August. I know for me that would be way to tempting....
      Hope you both have a Fabulous Friday and a peaceful, sober weekend!
      -Cap'n G

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Friday morning Nesters!

Hello & welcome to Gizzy!
        Glad you found us, we're a nice bunch. Congrats on your decision to take back control of your life now, you won't be sorry! Please be sure to vist it https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html for some great ideas to help you make your plan.

noxy & bottlestopper - if you have Antabuse & take it be very careful about any source of AL. I wouldn't cook with wine, I would be very careful with cough syrups, mouthwashes, etc. I've heard people on this website mention difficulties. But if you have it & feel the need to take it then do so carefully. Please don't let friends pressure you into drinking, we're adults! Friends should respect your decision to skip AL at a luncheon

I'm too busy & too determined to let AL back into my life this weekend - how about all of you?
        Wishing everyone a wonderful AF Friday!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day 33 AF

Howdy all - hope people are feeling strong!

Played a few holes of golf today for the first time in about 15 years. Great fun in the sunshine and didn't think of the beer once..
          AF July 4th 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Lav , Greg and bottle for your swift reply and good advice as always ! I seem to be like a blooming roller-coaster today ! Want wine don't want wine .... Its awful this feeling ! I am going to take the antabuse when I get home cos I am not in a good space at the moment ! Will keep posting promise !!! Xxx

Comment

Newbies Nest

Does everything happen for a reason or do things just happen & we assign them reasons

Good morning, Nesters! Please keep your fingers crossed and send good vibes my way today?I had an in-person interview yesterday and today I have a final interview for a new job! I am a sales rep and I cover a two-state territory. I usually spend a few nights a week in a hotel and box wine has been my ?trusty? companion on the road. I used to tell myself that I needed it to wind down from my stressful day and to help me sleep in a strange place (insomnia has plagued me since I was a teenager). But the truth is I drink when I?m lonely and stressed and traveling makes me feel both. I know that part of my plan had to include finding a job that has me home every night. This new position allows me to do that because I?ll only cover my home state. (In my industry having only a one-state territory is very rare). This opportunity has gotten me thinking about coincidences?do things happen for a reason or do things happen and we assign them reasons? What I?ve decided is that when we have a plan and do the work, doors open, and the path becomes clear, so I guess a combo, maybe? Thoughts?

I was really tempted to drink the night before the interview?I was nervous and couldn?t sleep, of course, but I kept reminding myself that if the Universe is going to give me this opportunity, I had to do the work. I couldn?t go the interview hung-over and fuzzy headed and waste this opportunity. I resisted the temptation to drink (Yay, me!) and although I didn?t get a lot of rest the sleep, what I did get was quality. The interview went very well and I?m really proud of myself. I also had another temptation last night, post-interview. (Usually I reward myself with a job-well-done celebratory drink, or five). I had an ?Ugghhh?this sucks moment? but instead decided to reward myself instead by going for an evening dip in the pool. As I swam under the stars, I felt connected and content. All these years, I thought it was the wine that made me feel that?hmmm?

Okay, so responses to everyone else?s posts:

Hypernova: That is awesome that you made it through your surgery AF! I had a surgery a few years ago and wasn?t supposed to drink but I did anyway. I think about the harm I could?ve caused myself! Internal bleeding for wine and add pain killers to the mix?what a dangerous concoction! Soooo proud of you for taking care of yourself!

Bottlestopper: Welcome! It was hard to be honest with myself about my problem, but it was unbelievably difficult to be honest with my family. You took a huge step because now you?re accountable to them. I?m not sure how anyone else feels about this, but my main reason to stop drinking wasn?t for myself but for the ones I love. The stupid me is not what they signed up for!

RBG: 31 Days AF! Whoo hoo! Congrats!
              I wrote this in response to an earlier post: ?I noticed in an earlier post that you mention missing your beer. Since you?ve probably got more free time than ever?can you take any of it for yourself? Is there anything that you can do just for you? Is there any place or situation where you feel happy and connected? A morning stroll or evening swim, maybe?? Soooooo glad you?ve taken up golf again! Isn?t amazing how much time we actually have for ourselves?!?

FlyAway: Thank you for this: ?Do a self-reflection each day where you ask yourself what you received that day from your spouse, children, pets, the Universe, whatever, what you gave, and what trouble you caused.? This is so timely for me. I am adding it to my meditation routine!

Nelz: Whoo hoo! AF since May! Never too old to be a newbie--I think I?m becoming a Nestaholic!

4me: 4 days AF! Yayay!

Gregorino: Byrdie Bible?now that?s a religion I might be able to ascribe to! Love it!

Lavande: As always, thank you for your wisdom and insight! I appreciate your commitment to the Nest.

Clover: Day 24?Awesome! Sooooo proud of you?you?re an inspiration!

Scottish Lass: Yayayayay! For driving on by?AGAIN! I?m really proud of you for choosing not to turn to the bottle to cope. It sounds like you?re removing the things from your life that aren?t good for you. That takes so much courage. You are very brave!

Byrdie: I?m beginning to wonder is the Apocalypse is upon us because I believe the entire world is experiencing a plague of ants! I wish I had half the determination of these little varmints! They just don?t quit! BTW, I?m thinking before I brave the dance floor again, I might want to video myself. Maybe I?m an Elaine?

Turnagain: Thank you, thank you, thank you for raising the question?how do we not drink on special occasions? I get married and go on my honeymoon in two months and I?m terrified of that situation. Everyone will expect me to drink at the reception. I?ll be expected to dance and people will be watching! My honeymoon?all inclusive alcohol. Yikes! Too overwhelming! Help, please!

Gizzy: Welcome! After I faced myself and my family I felt like I?d spent a day working in the yard?exhausted but accomplished! I think you?re so wise to be seeing a counselor! Great work!

Noxie: Thank you for raising the questions about dealing with temptation. I?m struggling with that, too?I don?t want to be anti-social, but I?m not sure if and or when I?ll be ready to be tempted like that. Glad you mentioned having a plan?I will definitely start thinking about mine.

Love you all! Thank you for showing up here each day! You are a great source of strength and wisdom. Hope you have a wonderful day and weekend!

Comment

Newbies Nest

OK I am back.. less stressed than before and have taken the medication !!! What the heck ? I have been doing so well and I cant believe what came over me !! I am in this to beat it .. so just swallowed two level scoops of L Glut plus a quarter of a tab of antabuse... scared of those things man ... heard or read somewhere that they are not good for the liver.. but then again just answered myself... neither is AL !!! Will ride out the weekend without my rollercoaster .... My God this is tough ! Ok onwards and upwards as the Scots would say ! Sorry for waffling on and on just cant believe where I would be without all of you :thanks::l from a very determined if somewhat hyper noxy

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow Sunsign - what a post - how wonderful that you remember everyone - a great Lav trick!!
                  Day 5 - been a crazy week and last two days not much time to post, but signing on and reading diligently when I can.
                  Hopefully suppllements and CD's are in todays mail. That will help. Need the L-Glut obviously - had lost 14lbs, but my chocolate intake this week will have ruined that!
                  soem fabulous posts on here - friends sharing the journey and teh struggles, other friends cheering everyone on, then the laughs that are provided - again, thank you one and all!!
                  Have a good Friday - will be checking in,
                  “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi!! Here is my post from another thread:

My Story: I started drinking when I was a teenager. I would binge on the weekends with my friends, but I would never really drink throughout the week. As far as I was concerned, I think I was a pretty normal teenager. I'm 27 now - my drinking has become more and more intense, and not on purpose! I used to have a couple glasses of wine a night, more on the weekends while hanging out with friends. I was a happy, silly drunk. In the last year, I've noticed I'm drinking more than I used to. A bottle of wine a night is no biggie...and the hangovers are MUCH worse than they used to be! Another thing I've noticed is that I'm no longer that happy, silly funny drunk anymore. I'm such a jerk! I get argumentative. I like to belittle my boyfriend. I say racist things, even though I'm not racist. I become a bully. I gossip more. I make REALLY inappropriate comments. I talk about people behind their backs, even if they're within earshot.
                    This is NOT the person I am! I'm not a bully or a gossiper!
                    Over the past few months, my fantastic boyfriend has been getting shit on by me...when I'm drunk. Everything from his 'stupid loud' truck, to the fact that he wanted to play golf when we didn't have any other plans, except that I wanted to hang out with him instead. I turn into such a bitch! My boyfriend plays in a band. Last night he came home with their new CD and put it on for me to listen to. I wasn't quite done my movie, but be was really excited about it and made me pause the movie. Instead of listening to his CD and being the loving girlfriend that he deserves...the bottle and a half of wine, bitchy girlfriend came out. I picked the first song to pieces...and his excitement and pride about it, too. I feel like the worst person in the world. My boyfriend, however, is loving and forgiving. He was cheerful again this morning to me, even though it's the last thing I deserve.

That is why I'm quitting drinking (for the most part). Lately I've begun thinking that maybe I do have a drinking problem. That's been confirmed by my behavior, as well as the fact that whenever I even thought about giving up my beloved wine, I would get chills of anxiety - which is NOT what you would get from someone who has normal, healthy drinking habits. It's becoming more of an emotional crutch - I almost need it to relax mentally, even though I know I can relax without it.

My goal is to be 100% sober until Sept. 24th. That's our anniversary and we'll probably share a bottle of wine over a romantic dinner in the mountains . After that, back onto sobriety. My life and my relationships can't afford for me to keep drinking. I really hate the person I become after a couple glasses of vino.

Day 1!!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Fabulous Friday

Good Day to you as well Ms. Lav!

RBG - You just keep on rockin!

Noxy - Yes, do please keep up with the posting...it'll be interesting to know if The Voice ("wants wine") is quieted knowing the antabuse is on board. Can you be more relaxed knowing that AL is definitely out of the question....???

SunSign - WOWSERS! And I thought FlyAway was really on top of who's who in The Nest! I'm lucky to remember the last 4 or 5 posts! You gotta have a plan for the wedding..does your spouse-to-be know what's going on and are they on board as support?

Lass - I dint lose a lb this week either, and I hit the gym 6 x out of 7!! So, no AL plus some good workouts = zero weight loss? I'm thinking it's the tiramasu ice cream.... I gotta have some kinda vice...or do I?

Nessa - Thank you for spilling your guts to The Nest. That's a start. Be sure to be TOTALLY honest with yourself...i.e., Do you THINK you have a problem with AL or do you KNOW this? Now you need a plan as well....Did you download the book? Order supplements and the CD"s?? Are you ready to hit the gym? If you truly want to get free of the grip that AL has put on you, then keep coming here - 2 or 3 times a day. Read and post and read and post! We're all here to get better too, and we all need each other! Hope to see you back again soon!
                      -Cap'n G

Comment

Newbies Nest

happy Friday

Hi Nesters,
                        I spend so much time reading this thread I always run out of time to post!
                        Day 14 today- this is as far as I have gotten over the past 2 months since joining MWO. Feel different this time but will remain vigilant.
                        Have book club tomorrow night, didn't drink last time I went (I am in a very social book club- can be a late night drinking session) but was repeatedly asked to have a glass. The host ended up pouring me a glass & saying it was just in-case I decided to have one! I gave it back to her & said that I did not want one & that I would LOVE a cup of tea. The funny thing was I was sitting between two men who haven't drunk in years & no-one offered them wine. I suppose I just have to do my time as a non-drinker first. I think it was in Byrdies post the other day when she said no-one offers her a drink now.
                        I want to be able to be as social as I was before. But I can go home when I have had enough. I was at a drinks party last weekend & it was great to leave when the voices were getting louder & the drinkers were repeating themselves. I am taking alot more interest in my non-drinking friends, think they are more interesting than I gave them credit for before.

Wecome Nessa. Your story resenotes with lots of us I am sure. I am going away with my hubby for our 22nd wedding anniversary next week for a romantic night away. I have decided now not to drink- a month ago I would have found the idea impossible. Now I am looking forward to all of the reasons it will be perfect- especially in the morning. Last time we went away I could hardly eat breakfast because I had drunk a bottle of wine over dinner & couldn't wait to get home to have a sleep. I know it will be challenging, especially at the time of sitting down for dinner when I would have always had the first glass. But I am going to focus on the food & the good company of my hubby. Keep coming here & posting, it makes all the difference. As does everything else Gregorino mentioned.
                        SJ xxx :groupluv:

'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act but a habit.' Aristotle

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Greg! I definitely have a drinking problem. About a month ago I was thinking back, trying to remember the last day I had gone without a single drink, and I couldn't think of it. I couldn't remember a night where I didn't have a glass of wine (or 8) or a beer (or 5). Terrible! I don't know if I need anything more than moral support and advice to stop drinking. After I realized that I couldn't remember my last sober day, I challenged myself to stay sober for a week. I did it without a problem. So why did I start drinking again? I don't know. I know I become beligerant and aggressive. It's such a werid feeling...the buzz I get is fun (sometimes), but the shame and guilt I feel when I say something or do something rude far outweights any fun aspect of it. So I don't know why I still drink, besides the fact that I LOVE wine, so much that I can never seem to have only a glass or two. I'm going to read all the stories I can on here...and call them up if I get the urge to have a drink. And I'm definitely going to read & post! Alot!

Hi Sarah! Hopefully by our date night I won't have the urge to drink that wine! I want to become a responsible drinker (glass of wine with dinner every once & a while), I just don't really know how. I'll get there eventually though! Hopefully!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hell's Bells, I don't get a chance to check in for 12 hours and the nest is all over the place!
                            This one is going to be scattered...cause I'm in a hurry and I didn't write anything down and plan ahead for what to say. Sorry, Lav...and this is test day too, isn't it??
                            Whoever's taking the L-Glut in powder form, for god's sake get the pills! That powder will kill you. Ehehe. I just prefer taking a pill to mixing a powder into something..I have colon cleanse flashbacks....
                            Greg, I'm glad I've bought you another week in the nest. I will happily fly over your shoulder and give you a keen smack in the head if you even think of picking up a beer.
                            Noxy...gosh..I didn't know you weren't supposed to take Antabuse with AL! No wonder I felt like 40 yards of HELL! I took that when I got off Cymbalta...it said not to drink, but they all say that. I thought I was gonna die! Well, that explains THAT! It's a wonder I'm not dead in a hole.
                            Nessa...you have answered all your own questions in your post. As I've said a time or 2, what did you google to get here? If you are like me, it was something like..'how to stop drinking without going to rehab'. My hubs was convinced I couldn't do it on my own...and I was about convinced too. Can you imagine the shame of a business person such as myself going into rehab?...I'm the girl next door! I tried going from Vodka to wine, thinking wine wasn't as bad. This was my first folly...AL is AL. Wine is just vodka with a mustache! Then after I started abusing that (1/2 box was my absolute limit) until it wasn't. I tried quitting. I got 12 days 3 different times and each time I'd tell myself I deserved a glass and what would it hurt. BTW, I never had just one glass. I'd have at least 2, filled up to the tippy top. And want more and usually find a way to get it. Al was contolling my life. I see that you are beginning to make deals with it too. I'll share a bottle of wine with hubs on our wedding day and then stop and all will be fine. Only thing...if we could stop like that on a dime, there wouldn't be a nest and we wouldn't be having this conversation. That bottle will lead to the next day and then just until the end of the honeymoon, leading to the end of the month, leading to I'll start next year. It was HARD to look at myself in the mirror at the person that AL made me become. I, too, started out a happy drunk. But once it gets so deep seated inside you, you begin to get anxious instead of happy and silly. I said things I cannot believe I said...and hurt people who didn't deserve it. Mostly, I was hurting myself...I finally had to ask myself a really hard question...if I were my husband, would I want to be with me? Sadly...no, who would want a drunk for a life partner? One who you can't depend on and who emabarrasses you? When you start making your world fit around AL, you can be pretty sure you are one of us. If your wedding is a couple months out, put yourself to the test. Try stopping. STOPPING. If it's all you think about....well, you might want to pull up a twig and stay awhile. Someone said it earlier as I was reading...no spouse signs up to be with a stupid person.
                            I'm sorry to be so frank...I'm just mad at myself for wasting so much time, and letting things get so bad before I could make them better. I am pissed off at AL because of what is has done to me, my health, and my friends here in the nest. Read back a year and a half on my thread and see how I've struggled with it....fooling myself, and making promises I could never keep. I'm 6 months plus a little today....and my life is so much better I can't even tell you. I CAN talk to people...I CAN be relaxed and social...I still can't dance but you can't have it all....Educate yourself....knowledge is power. Good luck we are ALL here for the asking!! You can ask us anything. XXOO, Byrdie
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well Byrdie - that'll teach ya to pay attention to the clock & not let 12 hours go by without checking in the Nest :H :H

Nessa, glad you found your way here
                              We kid around a lot but also have some good info to share! Do check in frequently

SarahJane - :yay: CONGRATS on your 2 weeks AF!!!!
                              Sometimes moving away from the drinking friends is necessary. Yuo will be your usual social self - don't worrry

Trying to motivate myself to make good use of the 2 hours of daylight left. Things need trimming oustide, weeds need to be pulled - yuck.
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Struggling just now - Friday evening and its almost 6pm - crazy week and I deserve a drink - or NOT!! ugg - hate this time of day, wish my supps had arrived - instead i need some Tiramasu ice cream - where do you get that Greg - sound delicious!! Every time i hav estopped and have done great workouts - even thought i was eating better, I put on weight - there are lots of posts MWO saying the same and after a while supposedly the weight starts to go...i have not managed to be AF long enough to find out - hopefullty this time i will!!!
                                Hi Nessa - good for you for working out your porblem so soon on, hopefully you can make great changes that will last a life time - i am about 22 years behind you and mourning loss of good times and precious memories - just a ton of embarrassing/stupid memories!
                                Hope i wake up happy and hangover free!
                                “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Working...
                                X