Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Clockwatcher,
    Good to see you again! Congrats on your 4 AF days again......just keep going
    I was also at the point where no amount of AL made me happy so why bother? Besdies, I've gotten used to feeling quite decent without it & liking the exra $$ in my pocket!

Hello & welcome shellit!
    Congrats to you for deciding to take control of your life now Congrats on your 2 AF days too!
    You will be amazed at how good you feel in a relatively short period of time once you kick AL out of your life. Have you read the MWO book yet? Download it from the Health Store, it's a good start & stick around with us for a while.

Hello to Turnagain, Byrdie & everyone who has dropped in today.

I'm going to crawl into bed a bit earlier than usual. The weekend storm dealings have worn me out I think.
    Wishing everyone a safe night in the Nest!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

thanks Lav, it is good to be back...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters, I finally had some time to do a serious post and when I went to submit it said website expired or something....jeesh. Seems like we are all having problems. Now I'm to tired so will make another attempt tomorrow.

Good night all!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning all:l

Hope we're all havig a good AF day, busy day here, took hubs into work so that I could have the car today, school shoe shopping, delightful and added stress of my Mom coming with me, she buys the childrens first school shoes of the year for me which i am grateful for but there is always added stress with he tagging along..

Finally got an appointment with a dietician today so hopefuly I might start shedding some of this weight which refuses to shift.....

4 me, the site seems to time out if you spend more than about 15mins being inactive, but if you just log in again it does make the post for you, well it does for me anyway.

Clock, Shellit just take it little by little, this time I'm not concentrating on the bigger picture quite so much and it seems to be helping, planning is essential and finding distractions, I kknow being at home with the kids is helping keeping me occupied so I'm going to plan early morning things as soon as they go back to stop me being alone and tempted...

Byrdie, Lav, Greg, and everyone else who stops by have a good day

Lee
          WHAT CAN I SAY? I DON'T WANT TO PLAY ANYMORE..

Just taking it day by day.......

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning all, day 5 for me after sleepless and sweaty night ( sorry to gross everyone out first thing in the am).....loving detox on my latest day 5....figured out that if I can hold it together and not drink my 90th day will be the Thanksgiving holiday here in the U.S....how is that for karma, coincidence, Gods will, dumb Irish luck, etc...I don't know what it is other than good but it's definitely a motivator and given my history I will take it.....have a great day

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning Nesters! WOWSERS! Lots of stuff here and no time to catch up now..bur for sure a big HELLO! to Clock! Good to see ya here! I will read everything and get caught up this afternoon...Wed is an off day from work, so I have filled it with Dr Appts, interviews, so gotta go, go, go....Have a serene and sober day all - will be back in soon!
              -Cap'n G

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

Happy hump day too

Clockwatcher, hang in there buddy! You know things will improve soon & a goal of 90 AF days on Thanksgiving does seem like a gift from the universe

Greetings to LIS, 4me, shellit, Byrdie, Turnagain & everyone!
                Heading out the door shortly to Curves.....will be back this afternoon to check in on the Nesters.
                Happy & grateful to be hangover free

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Question

I binge drink on Friday Saturday and Sundays... I don't know what else to do on the weekends.. its the only time that me and my husband talk and have sex... we have became dependant on it... it scares me.. please help.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Do ya'll think I have a problem? We have been doing this every weekend for 10 years.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Here and now...

Lav: Sooooo good to hear you’re safe and your power’s been restored (side note, you are officially the Queen of the Plan)! I hope the chickens are faring well, too! Also, thank you, thank you, thank you for the 21-Day Meditation Challenge. I AM LOVING IT! I was really starting to hear the Voice and this is helping me hear MY VOICE which drowns out the AL Voice. I don’t know how, but you always seem to know what we need! It’s inspiring, too, that stress is no longer an invitation from the Voice. Looking forward to that day!
                      Life: Your post is very timely for me—thank you for that! Today is Day 30 for me and I decided when I started that I wanted to go 30 days (as she does in the book) then make a decision about moderating. I guess I had more of a problem than I actually admitted to myself, though, because last night at book club the girls poured the wine and my mouth was watering. I felt like one of those young vampires in the Twilight Sage. I wish I could control the physical response as well as the mental/emotional one. I have a wedding this weekend and when I started, I thought this might be my first attempt at moderation, but I’m actually really enjoying being AF. I, too, feel like I’m growing up. I’m taking charge of my life, handling my baggage (thanks, Byrd), and feel the “real me” emerging from the rubble. Being present and in the here and now (as you so eloquently stated)! I find so much comfort in the Nest knowing that you all are some of the rare few who understand my plight. Great job on staying AF on your vacation!
                      Echoz: Welcome! In my search to live a healthier, happier, more satisfying life, AA and some other programs just didn’t feel like the right fit for me. I’m an educator and I firmly believe that in the same way it is essential to educate the whole child (not just the mind), I needed to find a program that focused on the whole me—physical, mental, emotional, even spiritual—and this program was the only one I found that did that. It has been my lifeline and this forum is the most important part for me. We’re here for whatever you need—read away, ask away, vent away…
                      Greg: Whoo hoo on Chapter Two—love the name, too! I’m so glad there’s some sunshine in your life!
                      4Me
                      : I don’t want to push, but as I read your posts, I’m wondering what’s keeping you from pulling the trigger on your 30-days? How many years of your life have you gone AF as a youngster? Did you feel you were missing out on something then? I know that you have to do this in your own time and your own way, but what if you give yourself 30 days to heal your body, clear your head and then reevaluate? For me, it wasn’t possible to thinking objectively about drinking while I was still drinking. Make a list of pros and cons on going 30-days. I always thought, for example, that I wasn’t a morning person, turns out, I’m not a hangover person. In 30-days, I’ve gone to a consistent wake-up time and actually wake up feeling…happy? I used to grumble and hate mornings. When I was teaching, I used to tell my students, that “Morning time is a quiet time” because, although, I wouldn’t admit it then, I usually had a headache. I feel badly that I stole some of their morning joy. Don’t mean to harp, but know that if you make the list, there will be worlds of pros that you don’t even know exist now—add them to your list. The joy of morning is now on my list!
                      Lee
                      : Go ahead with your bad self (stole that from Byrd
                      )! Applying for a new job! Whoo hoo! Fingers crossed for you—I remember when I first read your posts and listen to you now! You sound great! Happy! And, I second Greg, on you signing your name—way to own it!
                      Turn: As I’ve mentioned before, I planned to get 30 days under my belt and then decide about modding, but I’m just not sure I ever want to drink again. I, too, am learning to enjoy life so much more and I’m so fearful of being where I was just 30 days ago that I’m afraid to try modding. I really appreciate your posts—they remind me to be positive and grateful! Thank you.

For those losing posts, I, too learned the hard way, so now I write in Word and copy & paste into the forum.

Clockwatcher: Glad to have you back and congrats on Day 4! Focus on the positive—any day you went AF was a day your body thanked you! Welcome home! Also, I’m not sure if you’re chatting on the site, but if you’re having trouble sleeping and have iPad in your hands anyway, the chat can really help you hold onto your quit! It was a lifesaver a few nights for me!
                      Shell: Welcome and congrats on Day 2! I love that you’re already being so honest with yourself—that’s not easy and an important first step! Although losing weight was not my first reason for quitting, it has been a highly-celebrated by-product: 9 lbs down this first month! Now, that’s something to celebrate!
                      Sot
                      : Only you can answer that question, but my thoughts are that you’ve landed here for a reason. My soon-to-be-hubby and I were on the same path and you may want to reread some of my posts. When I was actually honest with myself, and ultimately, honest with him about my drinking, he shared with me that he felt I was actually driving our drinking behaviors. Although he was never the big drinker, he has given up AL, too. We’ve been planning AF dates and they’ve been absolutely wonderful! We can order the most expensive meals on the menu and still get out cheaper then when AL was on our bill. We go bowling and to play golf and it is SO MUCH MORE FUN than going and sitting in a bar and I get some exercise, too! And, to put it all out there, sex (like dancing) felt awkward at first—I hadn’t done those things sober in well over ten years, but I’m realizing that it isn’t really possible to connect with someone when you’re out of it. How can you be really attentive to his or her needs when you’re not in your right mind? How can you really give of yourself when you’re not yourself? And for the record…Sex IS better now and I can REMEMBER it!
                      Byrd
                      : Thanks for all your tidbits of wisdom! Like a cartoon, I picture the Voice as a devil bottle on one side and you the angel byrd on the other! Devil Bottle: 0 / Angel Byrd: 30. Quite the shutout! :tempted:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sunsign, thank you for your reply. I am going to try to do better.. i actually DREAD this holiday weekend coming up simply because I know i will be very tempted to drink.. we live on the lake and our past time is to sit on the dock and drink as we watch the sunset.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nestanans, since I am going to Montana in a few days I thought that was appropriate.:H I am going to try this post again and maybe I won't lose it this time. I have been working on my 30 day plan. Started taking the primedone for my tremor this week and it is helping. I can't remember who was trying to taper off of primedone? Was that you Byrdie? I have had the prescription for months and took it a few times, but hate the side effects of tiredness. It is important as part of my plan. If I am in a social situation and shaking while eating or drinking and know that a glass or two of wine will stop it, and it is the only thing that does automatically, then I will most likely give in rather than be embarrassed. When I read the book it said not to have anything big planned when you first start the AF. I had two vacations planned within a few weeks and two weeks apart, so I have been moderating and doing pretty good at it. Not as good as I would like to be honest, so I see the value in the 30 days for sure. I know we are all different with our own level of drinking issues. I am not one to get wasted or forget what happened the night before because luckily for me I have a limit and throw up if I drink to much, definately lucky. I can however throw down a bottle of wine now without getting sick and that is scary and overboard for sure. Wow, that was a mouthful.

Sunsign, your posts are always so great. Congrats on the 30 days. I am purposely putting off totally AF until after vaca. Yes it may be the chicken in me, but that is my plan.

Lav, glad you have power and are clean again.

Greg, thanks for always being positive, it helps!

Clock, day 5 congrats!

LIS, I do hope to have several AF days on vacation. Nothing overboard for sure. Thanks for the advice.

Sot and Shell, welcome to the nest! It is a great place for advice and support.

Sot, I can relate and was just like you, questioning if I really have a problem or not. I think if your here and your asking yourself that question then for you it may be a problem and that is all that matters. As I said before we all have our level of what is acceptable to us. If you desire to make changes then the nest is a great place to be.

Hi Bydie, Hope you are well.

If I missed someone, I hope you are great as well!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yup, it was gone again and signing in again didn't help. I out smarted it this time. I copied and also saved it as a word doc just incase. When I logged in and hit paste it was there.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello sot & welcome to MWO & the Newbies Nest!

Only you can decide if you have a problem with AL or not.
                              Do you feel you have control once you begin drinking or does AL take over???
                              Toward the end of my drinking career I was an everyday drinker.......Al had gotten in control

Why don't you download the MWO book from the Health Store ~ it's a good place to get started.
                              Have you considered doing something completely different this weekend? How about planning an AF weekend for a change & see what happens? You don't know until you try, right?
                              Take a look in the https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html for lots of great ideas to help you put a plan together.

Sunsign, I'm glad you are enjoying the Chopra Meditation challenge. This is the 3rd one for me! I love it too. I really do find 15-20 minutes of meditation, mindful breathing, etc each day does wonders for helping me manage stress
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

thanks to everyone for your encouragement....sot, dreading this weekend as well as it as weekends were blowouts for me and this one especially challenging in that I am alone as family has to go out of state tomorrow for funeral and I cannot get off work so I am home alone which generally for me was more like animal house than the kids christmas movie home alone.....focusing on reality of my life and that I cannot go down the same old road again, also taking strange motivation/comfort in fact that if I hit 90 days it will be on U.S. Thanksgiving holiday....kinda appropriate if I can actually do it,,,,anyway, getting through day 5 is challenge enough as its 2 pm here and I am rationalizing how great a couple of beers would be with a late lunch right now....I like to lie to myself like that as if I have beers at lunch the day is done...Sunsign you make a tremendous sense in that maybe we should actually be AF for a while to reflect upon our drinking, telling myself that now during my mid-day crisis....thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X