Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

I hope everybody has a great, safe holiday weekend. Thanks again for all of the support and advise from everybody.

Comment

Newbies Nest

2 Days AF. Last night I had severe cravings for ice cream. I indulged myself but went to a store that doesnt sell wine, just in case. Last night I woke up in a cold sweat twice. Not sure if that is withdrawl or if I had too many covers on the bed. As I only have hangovers if I drink 1.5 bottles of wine, I try to stay under that point, so I dont get them often. Mornings so far are just the same except I have no guilt.

For tonight I plan on making a healthy dinner and eating during my drinking hours. I seldom drink after I have eatten. Although it has been such a long time since I have tried that, I hope it works again.

I usually go to bed at 11pm, but have decided to change that to 10pm so I have one less hour of temptation.

If I can make it until Tuesday I will be on my way.

Comment

Newbies Nest

You can do this TX E and Sot! You're making it through the toughest part right now. It does get better. If you are worried about detoxing on your own...get help from medical professionals who can get you through this phase safely. Here are some links...to links about withdrawal symptoms.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f7...wal-13412.html

RE: Cravings...

AL is sugar and that's why most of us get a raging 'sweet tooth' after quitting. Are you using supplements? L-Glut sure takes the edge off cravings. It is also one of the critical amino acids your system needs to repair itself. Years of drinking really wrecks the works from top to bottom. It takes awhile to heal...and most of us here have been able to stop while there is still time to heal.

Beyond the MWO materials, I found a lot of help from the book, Seven Weeks to Sobriety by Joan Matthews Larson. There is a website with a lot of very detail information about biochemical repair:

Identifying & correcting the biochemical disruption of hypoglycemia and alcoholism

Keep going. You are building a new, and much better life right now. Keep drinking water...keep reading and writing. Get rest. You probably haven't slept well in a long time. The good sleep will be coming soon once your body is done detoxing.
        Sober for the Revolution!
        AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Glad to see you stop in sot & Ellen!
          sot, have you started to make your plan? Don't forget to check out the Tool box. You said you should get this under control before anything else happens, I think that would be a good idea. Things only get worse when you allow AL to control you.

Ellen, congrats on your 2 AF days, great! Hang in there, take good care of yourself & you will be feeling much better sooon

Turnagain, one of the ladies I met at Curves this morning said she is on her way to Alaska tonight
          Hope I get there some day too.

Made a different but delicious French Potato salad for dinner. Different because it has chicken included ~ yum!
          I've been busy all day, glanced at & scoffed at the wine store while driving past today
          No time for AL in my life anymore!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lav...I hope your new friend packed her fleece and rain gear. It's chilly and wet around these parts and the leaves are already turning yellow.

We have a lot of strange little sayings up here. One of my favorites goes like this:

"Alaska has just two seasons - 9 months of winter and 3 months of friends and relatives!"

So my 'friends and relatives' season is ending this weekend. This year, it started in April which was a record for us.

If you ever decide to head this way...I would be shattered if you didn't stop in and say "Hi"....and... "Can I get a tour of your igloo?"

Our Labor Day tradition is to enjoy the peacefulness that descends on the concrete jungle when the masses exit and crowd up the wilderness for one last pre-winter outing. I'm going to light the pilots on the fireplaces on Saturday. And maybe clean out the gutters. Couldn't do that (safely!) back when I was drinkin'...
            Sober for the Revolution!
            AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

I hope you have a great weekend Turnagain!
              We're expecting 90 degrees, humid & T storms the next few days - ugh.
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

I remember ....

I remember when this thread first started and look how far it has come! January 2009 was my quit date. I've been sober since then. It took me to hit rock bottom before I quit. It was when I had had enough. I wanted so badly to be well again. I was willing to do anything to quit. Is my life perfect today? Nah ... it's just every day life. But when I go to bed at night, I know I'll wake up without a hangover and embarrassment over something I had done the night before when drunk.

My wish is that each of you find your way out. Life really is beautiful. :h
                AF since 1/2009

Comment

Newbies Nest

Nice to see you here SK ~ life does get better
                  Hangover free & guilt free mornings rock!!!!

Wishing all the Nesters a safe night in the Nest!

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sot: Yes, I was in denial about this being just a habit for several years, but realized that it?s far more. What I finally realized is if it was just a habit, it wouldn?t be that hard to break. You?re so wise to be addressing this now. Have you talked with your husband about your feelings at all?
                    Turn: Always the source of peace and wisdom?reminding me to make a plan! Thank you. Also, I didn?t realize you were an artist! What kind of art do you make?
                    Lav: I am so enjoying these meditations! I?m doing them first thing in the morning and look forward to it every day. I also found the meditation station on Pandora so I figured I could tune into that after The Challenge ends. I hope you get a dry weekend so you can get in the yard!
                    TXEllen
                    : AA didn?t see like a good fit for me either. And, I too, was a nighttime drinker but over the last few years my start time was getting earlier and earlier because?I had something to celebrate or a bad day at work or needed some ?me time.? I?m so glad you?re getting a handle on this before it becomes more of a struggle. Glad you?re here!
                    Grego
                    : Thanks for the encouragement! I?m feeling really good about the job. Keep us posted when you hear, too. I?m so excited about Chapter 2, too! Sleeping on the boat sounds so peaceful. Take lots of pics!
                    Skinned Knees
                    : Wow?since 2009! That?s amazing! Congrats!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello all, holiday weekend and not deathly hungover, all good!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

Clouds overgaed in Lavland again this weekend but at least it's not a hurricane on the way

Sunsign, hope you are seeing some sun wherever you are

Clockwatcher, a hangover free holiday weekend really rocks :H

Nothing exciting planned for me today, just some yardwork before the T storms arrive, that's OK with me. Will check in later. Wishing everyone a great AF Saturday!

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello newbies!!

I'm on my Day 4..Almost 4.30 p.m. and i want drink..not because of AL issue but because i'm angry that i'm sick - my chronical sinusitis..normally i'm happy to look at my pretty face when i quit drinking - with every day it' s more nice..now my eyes are puffy and i feel bad and exausted..And have very stupid idea that this i can cure by drinking red wine.. i know it' s just childish just wanted to write and read and resist my foolishness..
                          The time for action is now. It's never too late to do something.
                          /Antoine de Saint-Exupery/

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yayayayay, Clock!

Clockwatcher;1172976 wrote: Hello all, holiday weekend and not deathly hungover, all good!
                            Well, I finally went back and reread the posts on how to quote and respond so I don't have to continue writing these epic-length posts! So proud of you, Clock! Doesn't it feel good to wake up on Saturday morning feeling good?!? :goodjob:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hold out, Audrey! You can do it!

Audrey14;1173006 wrote: Hello newbies!!

I'm on my Day 4..Almost 4.30 p.m. and i want drink..not because of AL issue but because i'm angry that i'm sick - my chronical sinusitis..normally i'm happy to look at my pretty face when i quit drinking - with every day it' s more nice..now my eyes are puffy and i feel bad and exausted..And have very stupid idea that this i can cure by drinking red wine.. i know it' s just childish just wanted to write and read and resist my foolishness..
                              It's smart of you to recognize this! AL weakens your immune system and doesn't help anything--not so healthy to combine with cold medicine either if you're taking any. Get some rest, eat healthy, and drink lots of water. You'll be feeling better soon!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Sunsign!

Hi Audrey, glad you dropped in & posted here rather than opening a bottle of wine
                                We all know that wine will nit cure sinusitis. Antibiotic will so a trip to the doc is the wisest choice. I had to work long & hard to change my thinking about the 'comforts of AL'. Now I think of it as a poison that I won't put into my body anymore. Be proud of your 4 AF days & plan to wake up tomorrow on day 5 even prouder. btw if you can take any nasal decongestants (pills or nasal spray), a hot shower to steam open those blocked sinuses until you can see a doc ~ that will help I used to deal with all that myself

My son & his family are coming for dinner so I'll go figure out what to cook
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X