Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Byrd...isn't that something? It seems when we are trapped and damaged so badly by alcohol that it is frightening and nearly impossible for us to imagine life without geting drunk. And now...look at us....looking in from the other side. I went back and read some of your earlier posts. You certainly have come a looooooong way, baby! And now, you, and so many others here, are helping to pull us newer ones along in this process. Thanks to all of YOU...who helped me shake free of despair and addiction.

We've been missing you in the nest...thanks for checking in with us peeps!
    Sober for the Revolution!
    AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello to all you Newbies; good to see some old faces, haha. Hi to you Scottish Lass, I missed seeing you around. Congratulations on your newborn teenager! I've still got three left and my eldest turned 20 in the Summer. It's not so bad. I have really enjoyed the teenage thing - loads of craic with them and all their friends. I think I have a dozen 'adopted' teenagers. My 3 are 15,16 and 18. Definitely was strictest with the eldest and over time I've relaxed. I have to say the relaxed attitude has worked much better for me.....
      I am back on 6 days AF after a very turbulent Summer. Just could not get control of my drinking - worst I've been since coming here last year. So I've been hiding in shame quite a lot. Feel so much better now and want to get involved and start living the good life!
      Anyways hope you're all doing well; will check in tomorrow and hopefully get to know you all better!:l
      IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
      Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Newbies Nest

hello all, posting again after some real inconsistent periods, some AF but more not, nevertheless some good in that even my beer periods where not as brutal as before but even these better periods drove home that I have to keep working towards AF everyday all day...been reading the posts and thanking all for continued inspiration...on another day 2, so here we go again, gotta stay positive and not giving up no matter how many stumbles.....

Comment

Newbies Nest

also, thank you to those who reached out with concerns...it helps with my, "what the hell am I doing" thoughts....thanks

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters!

Wow, lots of activity today, that's great

Ellen, sounds like that 20 min walk everyday is good for you in many ways Stick with your plan & revise it when necessary!

Byrdie, I am so glad you have done so well!
            As each AF month goes by we become stronger in our commitments. Developing an attitude of gratitude is the way to go

Hi Turnagain, you are doing great too!!!!

daisy, looks like you are approaching 1 week AF - good for you! Stick around with us for a while!

Clockwatcher, good on 2 AF day, now lets go for 3!
            We're all here to help in any way we can, OK?

I have had one, long, busy day but a good one. Grateful to be fully functiong & will never become complacent again.
            Wishing everyone a safe AF night in the Nest!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

thanks Lav, these pages help more than I can say, from greg showing what sober can do, Ellen getting me to go for a walk instead of staring at my car keys thinking about driving out for a case of beers, and the general everything's possible attitude......it helps, everyday

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters!

First of all, so amazing to see so many new names on the board. I haven't posted in about 2 weeks and so much activity here! I wish all of you the best of luck in your AF journey. Liek many of you newbies, I had my attempts and struggles with sobriety, and then I hit bottom, something clicked, and I haven't looked back. I just clocked in 95 days --- time flies.

I've had my moments of weakness - when the voice within says, "You can moderate," but I ignore it. Too much at stake now and I love the greater clarity that comes with sobriety. In fact, I've been absent from the nest because I am in the process of rehauling my life. A real "take 2." I'm slowly going to relocate [changing states] to be closer to good friends who support me in sobriety, change professions [scared, hope I land employment so pray for me], and downscale. I don't want much -- just clean and simple living. I'm fortunate to have a therapist willing to help me through the process and I've given myself 9 months to make the move.

A part of me wants to stay where I am - a very dysfunctional environment because it is safe and I know it. But it is what led me to booze and I can't continue here. The physical move might parallel my inner move to a place of health and sanity - a place I only discovered recently .

I'll keep checking in. This forum was influential in helping me gain courage to find "my way out." At times, I think what I am doing is crazy, but I'm excited by the change. I finally have the you know what (starts with B____ends with S!) to jump into life and do what I could have never dreamed of doing when I was drunk. 'll try to read the posts when I have more time. I carry you all in my heart and I wish you well even when I don't post as much as I would like.

Stay safe and close in the nest! Peace to every one of you.
                PS -- I avoided nester names because I didn't want to risk forgetting someone and hurting feelings! To my nesters who have been with me on this 13 week journey, I'm sending you a virtual hug!:l

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evening Nesters!

WOW! Busy place today - excellent!

I had my first day at my new job today and it was a doosey! I am exhausted, mostly mentally, but it's quickly spilling over to the physical side! Thank Goodness I was not hungover!

Hello White! Welcome aboard - listen to Lav, our Nest Mum! She will guide you well. The journey is simple (don't drink today), but not always easy. AL can be a brutal master as all of us will readily attest. So, stick around, read back a few weeks when you have cravings, make a written plan, and check in often to let us know how it is going. Many of us were right where you are just a few weeks or months ago - we can help!

4Me - Great to see you back in the Nest and looking forward to more details of your trip to the Dental Floss Ranch.

Howdy Ms. Tex! Is there AL in you house? You might consider removing the temptation entirely. I like your plan...exercise releases some cool brain chemicals (that's the scientific explanation) which can help us get over missing the way we did our brins with AL on board. Except with the exercise, there's no damage! Are you getting lots of Glut in your system? Kudzu? I'd be munchin that stuff all day long...and try and carve out an hour here or there to do the hypnotherapy....it can really calm you down too! Keep at it Girlfriend - you ARE gonna whip this demon!

Hello Ms. Byrdie - Another awesome post..was like a visit from the Ghost of Christmas Past, huh? Thank Goodness we're getting out of that rut, cause it was surely going to be the death of us.

Hello Turn!

Hey Daisy - Good to see you in the Nest! Yes, do stop in more often. We have all tasted our share of shame, so there's no shame in coming here -we have all had our arses kicked by AL - repeatedly! Maybe a fresh plan...?? Have you the abstinence CD's? They are totally worth the $!! I paid for mine is just 12 days!

Clock!! You're back! Glad you could make it. Never quit trying - that's all that matters, and once you get a couple weeks going strong, you're gonna break free of AL for good! Make a new plan - it's a new day and you only have to take care of today. Fuggetabout tomorrow...new mantra: I am not drinking today. Just handle today. Before you know it, you'll have a whole bunch of days in your rear view mirror and you'll start to see the light in your eyes and the bounce in your step and people will wonder what you're up to! And you'll know...you're kickin AL's butt!

Peace and well-being to all Nesters!
                  -Cap'n G

Comment

Newbies Nest

Take2!!!!!
                    We crossed up there! Great to see you in the Nest!
                    You sound freekin awesome!
                    I like your plan - you're as wild and crazy as I am!
                    95 Days WOOOHOOOOO!!

Go Take2 Go!

Stop by more often...You are an inspiration my friend!
                    -Cap'n G

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters, I am uploading pics from my trip to MT. The first one is at the yellowstone river bottom, (Two Moon Park) right behind my home in Billings MT where I grew up. Yes, there is a dear in that pic. The second pic is the yellowstone river, same park. The last one is the view from my mother-in-laws back yard in Missoula MT. It was a crazy vacation, missed our plane out of LAX, had the flu when I got there and spent the first day home sick in bed, car troubles, and spent and afternoon in the emergency room with my husbands 86 year old father. Murphy's law in full blossom. It was great to see my family and MT was beautiful as always, so still a great time. Several AF days as promised and nothing over the top for sure. To much beauty and love to enjoy.

Greg, congrats on your new job! Dental Floss Ranch?

Byrdie, you rock! Way to stay strong and show your old boss who the new boss in town is!

Lav, I did get some relaxation. Hope you are well.

Turn, TX, Sunsign, Take 2 and everyone I missed, Hello! Attached files [img]/converted_files/1665511=6404-attachment.jpg[/img] [img]/converted_files/1665511=6405-attachment.jpg[/img] [img]/converted_files/1665511=6406-attachment.jpg[/img]

Comment

Newbies Nest

Quick check in - long hard days at work, and having to work so hard at the end of my long communte home not to turn right into the parking lot at the grocery store - the wine is screaming as i drive past to come in and buy - so far so good. Today end of day 4 - alarm will go off at 5:30am for my new gym class - gosh it is hard work being healthy!
                        Safe evening in the nest all - and lovely to see the famiiliar and the new names...
                        “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow, busy morning on here. Good to see; shows we're all still motivated and going for our goal together. I've got a big clean-up day ahead, then swimming and Zumba class tonight. I find if I don't do the exercise it is easier to fall back to wanting a drink, whereas if I can keep that feelgood factor you get after the working out, I am not as tempted.
                          Have a great day everyone.
                          IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                          Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

Great to see you Take2 & a Big CONGRATS ON YOUR 95 AF DAYS :yay:
                            You sound wonderful!! I wish you continued success & strength as you move forward in your new life. Don't be a stranger :l

Greg, hope the new job is a perfect fit for you

4me, thanks for the pics - lovely view of the water & mountains! Now I'm trying to imagine it all covered in snow

SL, keep to your exercise schedule because it really does help keep us feeling good! Congrats on your 4 AF days, let's keep going!

daisy, you're doing great too! I'm thinking about adding a Zumba class too at some point

OK, back to work for mer until my grandsons show up around 1 pm. Fun, fun!!
                            Wishing everyone a great AF Thursday!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Everyone, hope you don't mind me squeezing into the nest with all of you. After reading the posts from MWO in general and Newbie Nest in particular(admission: it felt oddly voyeuristic) I'm thrilled find a place where I can admit my own struggles to people who've been exactly where I am.

Reading posts about hearing the clatter of bottles on trash day, stopping at different wine stores for fear of someone suspecting I had a problem, feeling shame when I couldn't member commitments I made to my son the previous night, going to work so many mornings fearing I looked as bad as I felt--every post resonated with me.

There's been a part of me that's wanted to cut back or stop for so long. What example am I giving my 13 year old? How much more can my husband take of my erratic, sometimes cruel behavior? How much will my company take of my beer-stained sub-par contribution? At what point will my body finally say, look, you've abused me enough. How low do I have to go before I finally say enough is enough?

All that whining to say I'm thrilled to have found this group. As a recovering academic I've researched on and off for a place like this (maybe that was my way of stalling too). As I read the conversations occurring here I knew I'd found the right place.

I have an appt with my Dr. this morning to see about going the medical route in addition to the support here. I want to do everything in my power to set myself up for success on this journey.

Thank you all for your openness that made me feel comfortable opening my kimono here. I appreciate your support and willingness to let me join your community.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day 1

Wow! I am thoroughly lost. I hope I will find my way around. This is day 1. I am taking a big leap here because I have no idea how these social networks work. I can see all the support and raw honesty from browsing through the different posts. So I signed up. I found this site from doing a search to learn about Campral which a doctor just perscribed to me yesterday. So, just as logically as ever I went and got some wine last night and drank, figuring I would start all this again today. So I am. Over and over and over I start. But I want to do something different. This is different. Any advise on how to get my bearings here?

Comment

Working...
                                X