Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Past My Bedtime!

Good Evening Nesters! Heck it's probably Good Morning to the Ozlings!

Got called in to do a PM shift at my "new" job - amazing how it seems to be just like the "old" job! And, I get to be back in tomorrow at 9 AM. Dang, am I one lucky guy! Actually, I am - lots of folks can't find ANY work right now, so I must remind myself to be grateful for all that I do have.

So, just a few quick shouts and it's off to dreamland for this tired sailor....

Britches - Thanks for sharing your story - I did so much medicating in my life, thinking it would make things better, but it never did. AL has a sneaky way of making us think that, and pretty soon there's ALWAYS some reason for AL - good time, bad time, anytime.... Nothing ever gets any better with AL in the house...it's just an illusion.

Welcome Mama Bear - Good to see you in the Nest and I hope to get to know you better in the coming days.

Welcome Aboard GardenGal - Day 1 is a good start. Make your plan and put it in writing. Read a lot and post a lot. Exercise is great to nullify cravings. Order the abstinence CD's!!! You're in a good place here.

Hello Daisy - Good to see you!

MyLife - Great job on the abstinence CD's - You'll be glad you did!

Hi GG!!

Be back tomorrow...stay strong Nesters!
    -Cap'n G

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning, Nest dwellers!

Most bizarre dreams last night.. yikes! Freud would have a field day with me :H

But I am here, such as I am, if only really quick. Will check back in later. In the mean time, have a great morning, or whatever your time of day is

Gregorino.. I hope you made it out of bed this morning!
      Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

At least I think it's morning - cloudy, dark & damp here again Not happy about this weather pattern hanging around for the week to come.

Good morning Sunni - I see you are online

Gardengal, congrats for getting Day 1 done & dusted. Drinks lots of water this week, flush out those toxins, OK? Looking forward to hearing from yuo today.

greg, being called back into work sounds so familiar to me.......glad I'm out of that loop now. I seriously would not have the stamina to deal with that anymore. It gets much harder when you turn 29 :H Take it easy friend!

Have some work stuff to do this morning, babysitting this afternoon then out of here at 5 pm to attend a retirement dinner for 2 past coworkers. Those two retirees will not be consuming AL so I know I won't either

Have a great AF Thursday one & all!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning nest!

I've had some bizarre dreams this week too Sunshine - I think last night there was a fish tank and some fish involved which is bizarre since I don't own a fish tank! :H

Greg - hope you get to enjoy a beautiful day on your sailboat! I've complained a lot about my job lately but am also very happy to have one in this climate.

I'm hoping my abstinence CD's will get here for the weekend - they've shipped so we'll see.

Have a wondeful AF day all!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Mornin', Nesters,

I'm considering myself a Newbie again, with Day 1 (of many) behind me, so here to say hello. Today's going to be water, water, water for me. Cleansing to begin the new me, and then walking, I hope.

Lav--we are going to have a dreary week, aren't we? I think I can hear the grass growing already.

Gregorino--Glad you have a job in these tough times, but, whew, I couldn't pull those hours anymore. What a man!

And what's with the bizarre dreams we're all having? Stress, I think.

Hello gardengal, my life, and sunshine.
            "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning all! Just a quick check in before my day kicks into gear. I will try to come back during the afternoon before I head out to work. Thankfully, I only have to work from 315-615 tonight doing a few quick visits. I cannot believe it, but I actually SLEPT last night! I took a magnesium/calcium supplement, .5 mg of an ativan and some sleepytime tea. I fell asleep about 11 and woke up briefly at 530, then back till 630. When I drank (which was 95% of the time) I would always wake up middle of the night and be up for 2-3 hours, so this feels really good.
              My husband is going to be a problem...he's not overly optimistic or supportive. I told him "I have to stop drinking" His response "Yeah, we all do" So, he's not going to be supportive in this at all. In the past, he's said things like "I didn't put the glass to your lips" Yeah, well, we are total enablers, and "Monkey see, monkey do" Don't get me wrong, he's a great guy, but he's an alcoholic too...just controls it better and is 'higher functioning'
              Well, I need to stop rambling and get to my 3 year old. I'll be back later to say hi to everyone.

Thanks for all the wonderful support!
              AF 9/28/11

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters, I have fallen out of the nest. Ouch! I got freaked out about the 30 days and decided I was doing so good with moderation that I don't need to go 30 days AF. Well, now I am not doing moderation as well either. I am not sure what my plan is now, time to figure it out.

Hope everone is well.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi birdies
                  going well here
                  popped two antabuse this morning so onward and upward!!!!
                  Plus, Hubs is talking to me again!!
                  I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                  Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nesters!
                    My "magic bag of tricks" arrived! Now I know why "MWO" nutritionals stop cravings - all those pills soak up the alcohol!!!! I've been on Kudzu for a week (AF since Monday - but likely would not have drunk this week anyway - no real desire to); started topamax yesterday and will start the entire bag of wax tomorrow morning. All set to listen to my first CD now. I finally read the instructions on the pedometer and I'm (hopefully) walking my arse off. Love of my life is away for 10 days - and I'll be able to devote lots of time to the CDs and thinking about what I want. 30 days of Abs is whats up for me now. I hope to moderate. I've been interviewing for a new job - fingers crossed - at my age I feel silly changing careers - everyone else is retiring. However, its exciting. And I bought a FABULOUS bottle of cab for the night I get a job offer. I'll keep you all posted before I consider opening it. You all inspire me so much!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nestlings!

Kinda pooped and ready to retire into my jammies here, I think. Got a nice cup of tea and might stick my nose into a book for a bit... have a safe and sober evening/night!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello NestMates!

Yes Sunshine, I did make it out of bed but it was a struggle! Was almost like a few months back when there was still a ton of poison onboard! And, I am so convinced about the exercise component of this approach, that I drug my weary butt over to the gym after work! OY! Will be heading off to dreamville momentarily - speaking of which, I do recall having some very weird dreams my first few weeks without AL in the house. Of course, I never remembered any dreams when I was drinking myself stupid every night, because I wasn't really sleeping - I was just passed out.

Lav- Hope you enjoyed your dinner party - We had a freekin monsoon in Tampa Bay this evening, I mean like build the ark kinda rain!

MyLife - The boat, Chapter Two, is very far away right now....in the middle of BFE, if you know what I mean! It'll be the rest of the year just working her around the big state of FL to Tampa Bay. Kinda wish I didn't have to work for a couple months, but - it is what it is! Taking Monday/Tuesday off to go have her hauled out for a bottom job. She can't go anywhere with a dirty bottom!

Juja - Nice to see you again. You know what Mario sez,,,, Never quit working on your quit. (Or something like that!) And it is so true. So many of us have needed multiple starts to get it right - it's OK - You're here now, and you're gonna give it your best shot - that's all that matters! Do you have the abstinence CD's???

GardenGal - You have to do this for you. I realize that's much easier said than done, but it is the only way it's going to work. We can't get AL out of our lives for anyone else - just ourselves. So, you may have a few additional challenges, but perhaps after you have a week or two of AL-Free time, your hubs will see that you are serious and cut you a break - but you will have to do this for you - with or without his blessing. Get an exercise plan going and get those abstinence CD's!! Oh, and stick around the Nest!

Hey 4Me - You have learned a valuable lesson, and that's what counts. Rework the plan, write it down, and keep it simple. "I am not drinking today" works pretty well for me. I can deal with tomorrow tomorrow. Today, I am not drinking. This time, you're gonna do it!

Hi Mama Bear - Good news on the home front. You know, the better it gets, the better it gets!

Gotta go catch a few winks...

Safe night Nesters!
                        -Cap'n G

Comment

Newbies Nest

A Must Read Book IMHO

Hi Everyone,

I don't read and post often on MWO, but wanted to let you know of a book that has really made the difference for me. I've posted this in a few other places, but I know a lot of newbies stay on this thread.

Anyway, the book has helped me tremendously so I just wanted to mention it to all here. The title is Kick the Drink by Jason Vale. I've read countless books about alcohol, and this one did it for me. Really changed my thinking. It's NOT geared toward AA or 12 steps.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters!

Really late for me but wanted to see how everyone is doing.

Mylife, the bizarre dreams seem to go hand in hand with quitting ~ I had some doozeys!!!
                            Hope you get your CDs soon.

Juja, heavy duty rain due here tomorrow. Flood watches up & the whole bit ~ lovely! Stick around & let us know how you are doing, OK?

Gardengal, I got no real support at home either. You know what? You don't need spousal support! You make your plan & you focus on what you are doing! Keep coming here because we will support you! Good deal on the sleep last night

4me, get yourself to the Tool box, choose what you need & make yourself a plan! No one can do this for you......you have to decide to make the commitment & just do it! Listening to the monkey mind chatter will always get you into trouble. Get 30 AF days under your belt then see how you really feel. By the time I hit 30 days I knew I really wanted to remain AF.

mama bear, glad you decided to take control again! Keep letting us know how yuo are doing.

ImHereNow, take the pressure off yourself by putting away the moderating thoughts for now. Just concentrate on getting your 30 AF days, feeling better for your interviews, etc. Good luck with the new job!

Sunni & greg - busy, busy is good!!!

Hi Unwasted!
                            The book sounds interesting, I'll put it on my list, thanks. Glad to hear it worked for you

Well, time to end this long but good day. Wishing everyone a safe night in the Nest!
                            Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

After 3 fairly good weeks (more sober than not) I am back in the middle of it. Last night I went to dinner with son and girlfriend and had no desire to drink. We came back to my house and they drank beer for a few hours. I keep beer stocked for them and am not tempted at all.
                              Fast forward to today. I went to one store, bought ice cream and noticed wine was twice what it runs at my store. I went home had some ice cream and then went to my store and bought the lesser priced bottle. Not just one , but two. At 5pm I started drinking (rather than my usual 7pm starting time). I started my second bottle at about 8Pm.

Why did I decide to buy not just one, but two bottles and need to not only drink one but start the second. I almost feel like I have gone backwards. I know I made such good progress because I had a dr appt. My next appt isn't for a other 6 months so I have lost my reason to strive towards sobriety. It is time to get serious bought this and I now plan to order the cd's.

I also quit walking which I did most of the three weeks. I know it is a big step towards not drinking but have lost the desire.

I need to do something and do it now.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Urchins!

Ellen... yes, you do need to do something. The great thing is, you know what was important and helped before.. so pick it up again. Have another read through the Toolbox thread, see what else might be for you. Good on ya for coming right back here!

Sorry, real quick check in from me today... 10 hour road trip ahead. BUT I will be picking up my horse stalls.. yeeehaw! I hate long driving, though... especially with that monster of a car hauler in tow, so wish me luck!

Have a fabulous AF Friday, everyone!

Comment

Working...
                                X