Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Morning Boozer, Ronnie and Lav. Had a very busy week working. But doing really well. Have kept up my exercise, swimming and zumba. Have been exhausted but very satisfied. Heading out to a nice restaurant tonight - music afterwards. Looking forward to getting dressed up. I'm self-designated driver - because I want to!
    Hope everyone who pops in today has a good one!
    IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
    Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters,

Looks like I missed all the fun last night. I am working on a visual and it is hilarious. You guys rocked it. And Lav and Byrdie are both dancing their @$% off.

Special welcome to Prarie Fairy -- Please oh please let us know the meaning of that wonderful name??

Another successful Friday night, which is probably the hardest for me. We went out to dinner and (of course) the hostess seats us in the bar and since we have my youngest daughter and friend with us, I go with the flow. So I don't say anything. I'm also want to see how I do, since I know I won't order a drink (hard). Another self experiment. I ordered hot tea. I really wish they could come up with a better tea list. When I ask for herbal or decaf tea they look at me like I'm from Mars. I imagine all that beer and wine as urine and blood....not something I would put in my temple. I can not believe how huge the alcoholic beverage list is???? Big (HUGE) money maker.

I was really tempted and for a fleeting moment was thinking "Just one", and then it hit me...I don't really even want just one (or two). Don't like the feeling of the buzz any more and don't want to fall asleep before 8, and really, really don't want to have the after affects on a beautiful Saturday morning.

And that is my rant.

Take special care

Comment

Newbies Nest

stuffed up

Been drinking a couple of bottles for years. I'm an alcoholic of at least 30 years. (I'm 48).

I'm killing myself, and not slowly.

Used to smoke MJ which reduced my alcohol intake by a great deal but it was expensive and very expensive in Aus. Went into rehab for 8 days and because I had no private insurance, I was living with people on lock down from prison. They were all very respectful and nice people but that and the AA sesions did nothing. I stayed sober for about 6 months and was going insane with anxiety and serious wierd dreams (when I could actually sleep) that were making me as stuffed up as I have ever been.

I'm on Effexor, Noten and Lipitor and am probably a bit bi-polar but too self medicated with alcohol for so many years, I am not a normal person. I am drunk.

I'm in Australia and my GP has prescribed the "a" one, can't remember.

I'm 48 and a total drunk and I have kind of accepted that I will be dead soon.

But, I haven't accepted that either, I want to live but kicking this bitch causes anxiety in a huge way. At night time I just panic and can't cope.

I suppose you can look up my IP and see who I am but I don't care.

My doctor has prescribed Campral and gone away for three weeks for China. I don't think I can come off the drug without valium - have done it a few times before and I thought I was going to die.

The other drugs mentioned on this site, I don't believe are avaliable for alcohol but I will spend money on those if avaliable on the internet.

I am interested on Topomax and the "b" one? I can give it up but the nights of torture are too bad to cope with.

I suffer from depression, anxiety, 2 bi-polar and look after my elderly dying mum. It's kinda sad but when I did give up for a month or so earlier this year, I was looking forward to doing courses and new directions. Now I just want to stay in bed all day but I can't. I want to get into excersize and forging a future for myself that doesn't include death in my fifties.

Sorry to drop this co-morbid problem on you but I don't know where to go.

I was in hospital earlier this year for an inflamed gall bladder that they thought would result in a complete closure of my organs.

This is disjointed and a bit pathetic but if I am going to live I need a bit of help. I know that AA (for me) doesn't work and I think maybe some chemical help will help.

I know that benzos get me over the first few days of abstinance but after that, I can't do it. Even if I can just drink less would be good.

I did well on Zyprexa for a while but I put on so much weight, it made me more upset. I was off the piss and eating hardly anything and puting on weight. That has been a problem of mine forever and I think i took up drinking to stop eating over 20 years ago.

Sorry for this pathetic post.

ME

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi ME, :welcome:

Welcome!! I am glad you are here.

I am fairly new, so I can't offer any good advice. The one thing I would offer and seems clear. Please seek another doctor to help you with this for the next couple of weeks. Maybe starting a tread would attract more attention and responses from everyone, not just the "Nesters".

Good luck and stay with us and let us know how you are doing.

Comment

Newbies Nest

My Gp is very pro anything but I'm not sure of the laws in Australia relating to various drugs.

Thankyou for the welcome, I am still very unwell, but hope, through several methods, I will start on my tour of wellness.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Equivoque :welcome:

I'm very new here so not qualified to give you advice except that I think you've found a great place. Hang around. I agree with Windy, you'll find some fantastic help here and yes, perhaps begin your own thread.
              Just wanted to send you a big hug :l
              You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi,

New here but not to alcohol problems. Been drinking heavily for around 17 years now. I've been to some SMART recovery meetings which do seem to help and have had some sort of success in goin alcohol free in the past month or so. However, I had a panic/anxiety episode on the bus to the SMART meeting yesterday and ended up having to get off. Only thing I could think about was having a drink as I knew it would immediately lessen the anxiety. However, I then ended up having around 8/9 drinks (pints) and some cans - woke up feeling like crap again. Howeve, it hasn't stopped my resolve and am still striving to abstain. It come out of the blue a little yesterday with the panic attack as haven't had one in a while - do get a lot of anxiety though. Think I need to be better prepared. am seeing a counsellor about the drinking and the GP is prescribing citalopram, thiamine and vitamin b compound. They do help but I think I have more work to do

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

I'm seeing sunshine :yay:
                  Quite windy but that's OK!

Ronnie & boozer - you guys seem very happy & that's good to hear!
                  I used to go camping but I can't quite imagine camping in East Africa? Tell more more, that's interesting!

daisy, I hope you enjoyed your evening out ~ sounds very nice & something I haven't done since being left on my own. Oh well. The exercise really does help me mentally & emotionally too.

windy, so glad to hear you thought the 'just one' thing all the way through.....that's progress!

Hello & welcome to Equivoque & ad1jnl!
                  Glad you found the nest, this is a safe place to settle for a while. I was a pretty heavy wine drinker myself & dealing with crippling anxiety too when I found MWO. I started out by downloading the MWO book from the Health store here. It explains all the components of the program including supplements, Hypno CDs, light exercise, medications if you choose to take them, etc. You need to make a good plan for yourselves addressing all of your drinking triggers. Use the great ideas in our https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html. I personally loved the Hypno CDs you can purchase in the Health store here. They helped me learn to relax without wine & kick the anxiety too. I never got much relief from Rx antianxiety/antidepressants so I have been using herbal products with good results. The most important thing to do right now is make a strong commitment to quit drinking & improve your lives - yuo can both do that & we are here to help

Speaking of exercise I've been waiting for a decent day to clean out the chicken coop :H
                  Looks like today is the day

Wishing everyone a great AF Saturday!
                  Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

WOW!
                    Where is everyone today???
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Lav,
                      Day 2 - tick
                      Reading Jason Vale and understand the no counting thing, but decided I will count to day 7. Obviously it would become a tad boring after that! But just to please little ol' me I shall do so for a week.
                      You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey good for you CantBelieve
                        I don't see anything wrong with counting - makes me feel good actually. I think I'm coming up on 1000 days.....better count

Wishing everyone a safe night in the Nest!

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Quick check in so you don't worry lav :-)
                          We ate out earlier-thats a rarity for us - but I had a nice glass of pink lemonade and didn't really have to fight any urges at all. Yea!
                          Goodnight everyone
                          ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Why does moderating work for some but not others. I have cut WAY back on drinking, one-two days a week but it seems I just can't do it responsibly. Whatever that means. I find it hard to quit completely. I've been to AA meetings but honestly don't have the time to get away a few hours during the week. I go to the gym 3 days a week. I have 3 kids and a husband that works away from home 2 days (48 hours) a week. No wonder I drink . Anyway, I need to get over this. I cannot drink and find it so difficult to say no. My choice is vodka and Oj or Diet Coke. I did drink today, but am not drunk now. Though hubby did call to see how we were and could tell I've been drinking. I tried to blow it off and told him I had to go. He will call again before bedtime. I totally hate this.
                            Living life to the fullest.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Tonight is 9 (nine) night AF. The night isn't actually over yet but I have a 2 hr drive home fro
                              The Irport and stores will be closed when I get there so I am counting tonight a bit early.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Tex, so proud of you! You hang in there, you won't regret it!
                                MtnMomma, most of us here have had such a history of trying to moderate only to find ourselves worse off than before....If I only held myself to 2 drinks a night...I spent all day waiting for them. When I finally got the first one it was like someone threw me a life preserver. When I got the second one, now that was a great feeling....yeah, look at me....I can have 2. Wasn't long before I was feeling ok about just 3 a night. Finally, I chugged out of the bottle before others got theirs and topped off so noone would notice. Wasn't long before my moderating had landed me worse off than before. I would give this advice to anyone here who actually thinks that he or she may be able to moderate. Go AL Free 30 days. If it's no big deal....you are prolly one of the few and the proud. If you are white knuckling the first week, and all you think about is getting your 30 day sentence overwith, well, you might be one of us. If you start making deals and rules for yourself regarding AL and then start breaking the rules??? You are prolly one of us. If after 30 days you can drink one glass of wine and quit and think nothing else about it for several more days...you may be ok....but not many of us here can't finish one drink without thinking about where the next one is coming from. But as an honest guage....get clean for 30 days....once I got there, I knew I wasn't able to start again....and I don't want to be that person anymore. I've seen it over and over and over on here and on some other boards....usually if you found yourself here in the first place, there's a better an average chance you got what we got.....out of control with AL. I went a few days here and there...and kept falling off, I got 12 days twice and started gradually back....it's all I could think about. I didn't want to give it up...I had to make moderatiing work...what if life without booze ever again? I'll tell you what it is...it is freedom and living again. Not being dragged around by the short hairs wondering how you are going to get your drunk in that day. It is the most amazing feeling in the world of being back in control of you life. I often lamented to myself...I can control everything else in my life, why not this??? It finally hit me. All I had to do was stop drinking. The only way to stop drinking is to stop drinking. It is totally worth it. Byrdie
                                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                                Tool Box
                                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
                                X