Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

I am excited - about an hour before bed - and I will have finished Day 2. :-). Didn't mean to start yet - meant to cut back and titrate down - so a bit anxious if I have negative side effects coming in the next few days but I have every supplement known to man to fight cravings/help detox/reduce tremors all mapped out on a schedule complete with a ginormous purse pill pack.

So - it may be one hour at a time - we will see. But I will be in the nest A LOT via my smart phone...
    That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
    Admitting I need healing. And I am not big enough to do this alone.
    AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Prairie.....:l
      Well done on Day 2, you sound as if you are in a good place right now, It is such a great feeling is'nt.
      Just keep looking forward and only look back to remind yourself what you use to be like with AL. you have sooo much to gain well done :goodjob:
      :dancin: enguin:
      starting over

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sheesh - darn good thing I didn't have any AL - had a 4.5 hour hairy fork in the road relationship conversation with the BF which - under AL - would have ended us. I wouldn't have had the calm and wherewithal to deal. Day 2 came just in time. Now a brief nap - hello - it's 3 AM for pity's sake - and onto Day 3. Friday...eeek - Bender Night...must find an alternative behavior
        That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
        AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning all,

Lavande;1198565 wrote:

awsome, how about stopping the pints now? You've had 6, tomorrow reduce to 5.
          had 4.5 yesterday, I 'm getting there

Kick the Drink Arrived today, so time for some reading later on!

Comment

Newbies Nest

wow, I love it! So many people doing well...let's keep the momentum going thru the weekend. Awesome job awsome. And prairie, I'm glad you recognized that you handled the argument so much better without alcohol...:goodjob: don't let that tiredness become a factor today, OK?

Remember those triggers HALT - that's helped me so many times - when I think that I really "need" a drink but if I have a nice glass of water or something to eat - it curbs that urge so I realize that I was just really thirsty or hungry...

from the tool box thread...https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

Hungry
            Angry
            Lonely
            Tired.

Hungry: When I drink, I tend to starve myself to a certain degree. I know if I eat, my cravings will diminish. I hate eating and drinking at the same time. I'd much rather just drink. So I'd rather eat nothing, preserve my alcohol-sensitive empty stomach, then allow my ever-stronger cravings to win out. It is so easy to short circuit this destructive mechanism. Eating regularly, even overeating, is an effective strategy to keep me sober. However, I manipulated this response for so long, I actively have to ask myself now: "Are you really craving a drink? Or are you just hungry?" Much more often the latter.

Angry: This is much trickier. I am not at all a violent person. I have never been in a fight in my life 37 year life. But I can go from calm to livid in a matter of seconds, and in this tiny timespan my decision making process vis a vis drinking can go from sound to off-the-charts crazy. My addiction knows this. So if something happens that makes me really angry, it tries to feed that anger, to get me more and more riled up, until I storm off and buy a bottle. I need to make a conscious effort, when I do get angry, to take a step back and let the full-body heat subside. Take a walk, hit the heavy bag, curse out loud. Recognize it, let it wash over me, let it pass. In the past, I would grab onto it and very pointedly see how angry I could get, because my addiction was in control, and my addiction knew if it could get me angry enough, it could get me to drink.

Lonely: This is one of the biggest reasons I'm here. I am not surrounded by people who understand alcoholism or who want to admit that I have a problem with it. It would be so much more convenient, so much easier, if I could just learn to drink moderately. This can be frustrating. Finding community here, a community full of people who know exactly how nonsensical, infuriating and difficult addiction can be, is important. I have good friends and I have a loving spouse, but sometimes I need people who can empathize with this specific part of my life.

Tired: This is sneaky. When I'm tired, I tend to be moody, irascible and generally disagreeable. Much, much easier for me to get angry when I'm tired, and anger is the king of all triggers for me. It helps immensely when I end my evenings early, shortly after dinner. I go upstairs, brush my teeth, lie in bed, read a book. Watch TV, whatever. Doing this seems to send a clear message to my brain and to my addiction: the day is over. It's too late to start drinking. We've already gotten ready for bed. This helps make evenings, a notoriously difficult part of the day for alcoholics, the easiest part of my day.
            ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Day Nesters,

Well I (once again) agree with Lolab -- We have an amazing group of Nesters here. Keep up the good fight. We must all be Eagles --- soaring to the height of our hidden potential. (another cornyism). Just can't help myself. I am so full of joy for everyone here.

I would like to add -- When I am hungry and tired I crave BIG TIME. Satisfy my hunger and the cravings go away.

Ronnie -- You sound so upbeat and energized. It is truly incredible how much better we feel taking AL out of the equation. Anybody who feels good cleaning house is one positive dudette.

Prairie Fairy -- Do you have plans for tonight to ward off the cravings? Don't forget how good you have been feeling without drinking. Sounds like you had a difficult talk and it's good to recognize how it would have been different if you were drinking. It could have changed your life completely. Wow...dodged the bullet.

Patrice -- Sounds like you're in the Meno (menopause) Club. It's really hard to know what's going on with our bodies when we are drinking to excess. We tend to overlook symptoms of other things and blame them on the booze. I hope you start to feel better. I have subsumed to HRT's and they have made a tremendous difference with the HOT FLASHES (sorry guys).

Lav and Byrdie --:h:h:thanks:

Hi to Cap n G too, even if he hasn't popped in yet.

I have so much work to do around here...it never ends. So ta ta for now.

Comment

Newbies Nest

I don't know - I'm thinking I may hit the book store - find a trashy novel and curl up in bed with the day time MWO Abs CD on...I'm on my own this weekend which is going to make this terrifically difficult...
                AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

On an "on my own" weekend - I tend to be rather pickled. This is going to be quite a battle.
                  AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Prairie (and everyone else!) -
                    Stay strong tonight. Even though you're on your own, remember you're doing this for yourself. I thought I wouldn't make it through my first weekend alone either, but I did...and many more after it. It may be difficult at first, but it will soon be normal not to drink. Rent some movies and get a good book. Don't torture yourself by having the inner-battle of to-drink or not-to-drink. Make up your mind and then let it go. And stay close to us if things get squirrely...we're here to help. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
                    :h
                    K9
                    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Girls

Praire I felt EXACTLY like that 12 hours ago but had some tea and went to bed at 9pm... now its 7am in Asia and I'm so glad I'm on DAY 4 and didnt drink last night... so for anyone where it is night and you are struggling... remember you will feel better if you don't drink

Take Care
                      Patrice

Comment

Newbies Nest

Struggling NOT to. Made an appt. to treat myself to a new hairdo and the stylist has so messed up the color they are having to redo it and I may have to cut off most of my hair.

All I can think of is F'it - I want some wine.
                        AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sitting in this stupid chair with the angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other.
                          AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Let me knock off the devil for you right now!

PF...you want to be free, right?

You've made great progress already - your body and brain have started to heal - and it's going to get a lot better SOON.

The way out doesn't always look or feel easy when your at the bottom of the hole, yet every step you take brings you closer to the health and happiness you deserve.

If you're looking for someone to talk with...check out the 'live chat' option...on the weekends...there's usually someone there....it's great for support and finding out more about new friends here.
                            Sober for the Revolution!
                            AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

I remembered the plan - eat and drink something - so I stopped at a Mexican place for a bite - so I won't be tempted. Fill up the sugar seeking stomach...so that's what I am doing.

And I have almost no hair left. It's a good thing I like extremely short hair - even if I didn't want it for winter...
                              AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters!

Just spent a day entertaining my daughter, DIL & 3 grandkids
                                Had a great time & now I'm exhausted at 9 pm :H

Patrice, good for you on day !!!

Prarie, sorry about the botched up hair coolr - is it really that bad?
                                I've only had my hair colored in a salon once, hated it so I've done my own coloring ever since.
                                I was alone when I went AF too - totally 100% alone. Didn't see or hear from anyone for a couple of weeks. It turned out to be a good thing too. I didn't have to deal with any dramas, attitudes or opinions from others. It gave me the time I needed to focus & begin healing physically, mentally & emotionally. We are here for you!

K9, Turnagain & everyone, hope you've had a great day.
                                Wishing you all a safe night in the nest!
                                There's a storm coming up the coast that will begin as rain here tonight & turn into snow sometime tomorrow - expecting 2-4" - definitely not ready for this

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09
                                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                                X