Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Empty nesters???

Ok, I'll speak up! 20 days AF today! May I say, that day 13 was the real turning point for me. I am having fewer cravings and the feelings that I am missing out are going away. I'm not missing out at all! I'm participating! I am so inspired by you, Jolie, who has been on this struggle right beside me. I do feel as tho we are kindred spirits...and true friends. Thanks to everyone for the words that help me along every day. Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey, congrats Byrdie on your 20 AF days, great job!!!!

Sleep is just wonderful mylife, a blessing really
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Aargh! Have just realised I sent my first post in the wrong spot - sorry Maurie into your thread. Damn this day 2 headache....if i can just ask the question again about supplements from MYO - is it better to buy a starter pack?:new:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi myhappyplace,

Welcome to MWO, this is a good place!
          Sounds like you've already begun your journey, you'll feel better very soon. Be sure to drink lots of water or tea to rehydrate yourself. The Starter Pack sounds like a good place to start with the supplements.( I used my own because of allergies. ) If you haven't read the MWO book yet you can download it right from the Health store here.

Congrats on your decision to take back control of yor life!
          Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Lav! Have just gotten into the book and picked up a multi with milk thistle and green tea extract to tide me over until my other goodies arrive from MWO. Approaching 6 in the evening and for once am not half a bottle of wine into my night...or nightmare which ever way you look at it. wish me luck i want this monkey off my back and to get to my REAL happy place! :thanks:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy Wednesday

Just woke up to start Day 12 and realized that apart from a slip up on Friday before last I am now actually on Day 14 out of 15. That is a full fortnight. Not even wanting to drink at the moment. Sleep is still poor though that's the next thing to fix. There was a passage somewhere on here which I would like to re-post as it helped me a lot.

2.*Acceptance: Sometimes our biggest struggles are internally generated. Often, it is not so much the situation itself that is so painful, but our fruitless attempts to change the un-changeable, or mental arguments about how things SHOULD be different, our endless efforts to figure out WHY things are the way they are? all of these are unnecessary add-ons to the difficulties that life presents us with. One of the major differences between people who live happy, meaningful lives and those who are bitter and unhappy is the capacity to accept setbacks and to make the best of difficult circumstances, instead of struggling against the things that cannot be changed.*

The ?Serenity Prayer? is a great tool for enhancing acceptance. When we find ourselves in some kind of mental turmoil, we can begin sorting it out by quietly repeating: ?Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.? Often, upon reflection, we will then realize that the turmoil arises out of trying to change something we cannot change.*
              Last drink 6th September 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning everyone!

Hump day and it's gonna be a cold one in my neck of the woods. :welcome: myhappyplace! So glad to have you here - sounds like you have a terrific plan to get started. It's always important to have a solid plan for the typical "drinking" hours so you can get through them - once you do, it will get easier!

Softy - good for you on your 12 days! I love the serenity prayer and haven't heard it in a while so thanks for posting. Funny how songs/verses/quotes mean so much more when you are on this road to recovery!

Byrdie - AWESOME job on 20 days my friend! We are truly marching up the hill arm in arm!

In the first couple weeks for me, I truly felt like I had lost my best friend - wine. Now I realize - not so. Alcohol is not a friend - it is not something to be romanticized, for people like us - it is poison. For those that can stop after just one glass - more power to you. For those of us who just can't, we must find things to replace it.

In the beginning, I heard a lot of wonderful people here who have been AF for a while talking about how good they felt and how wonderful it is to be without the guilt let alone al the physical ailments that AL brings with it. 38 days into it, I can honestly say that I have never felt better not only physically, but mentally and spiritually as well.

Guess my message here is to keep trying, trying, trying. I've been here 3 times now. Went away the first 2 because I slipped up and didn't feel worthy of coming back here. BOY WAS I WRONG! To those of you that have slipped up - I can relate but don't think of it as a failure, it will make you stronger and sooner or later you'll turn around and be surprised at how many days AF you have under your belt!

Hope everyone has a wonderful Wednesday!

p.s. Lav - you are an inspiration to us all - thank you for being a steady presence here on this thread for all of us.

Jolie
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters & Happy Hump Day!

Good thing I'm self-employed as I've overslept every morning so far this week & a boss wouldn't be very happy with me :H

myhappyplace, I'm glad to hear you are well armed for the battle! Stay firm to your commitment & check in with us often, OK?

Softy, once we accepot that we can no longer drink safely, the battle becomes much easier. I know in my case that was certainly true. Putting myself in a peaceful place by learning to mediate has been a great help with sleep as well.

Jolie, looks like the 3rd try did it for you
                  I'm so happy for you because I know you really wanted to succeed! It's good to feel so good

OK, time to get to work, hope everyone has a great AF Hump Day!
                  Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all, the witching hour has arrived chez moi so need to post and read, just poured myself an elderflower cordial with sparkling water in a wine glass so it is a nice posh drink and have got myself a new crochet book from the library after a trip to the park with DS this afternoon so am armed with lots of practice material for the evening, also need to get my mehndi folder ready for class in the morning.

Had to pop into the co-op on the way back as DH wanted a Ginsters cornish for his tea and guess what? all I bought was the pasty and some milk, I whizzed past the booze aisle where a couple of people were busy choosing wine and my only thought was 'not wasting MY money!' I did however have a pang of sadness on the way home when I realised I wasn't having any AL tonight but hey ho that is to be expected!

Positive vibes going out to everyone today
                    Taking it ODAT

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Mauri,

It's always good to drop in the Nest & pick up a little strength to help you get thru the evening
                      Your evening plan sounds good, have fun!

Hope some more Nesters drop in & let us know how things are going.
                      Wishing everyone a good AF evening.

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all
                        I'm cheered as always to read of the strengh and commitment you all have to getting well.
                        This is also my 3rd time but i want to do it and keep kicking against this problem
                        Oh , how good to feel good
                        I will put all the effort in in I have too
                        take care
                        patrice

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning nesters - very quiet in here?... Day four for me today
                          Taking it ODAT

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Everyone! Thanks so much for the warm welcome it really is snug in here!

Nearly done my day 3 no problems with 6pm today as have to run 2 of the boys from school to cricket and will be out the door in 10 minutes to get one to futsal so Thursdays are easy.

I'm a bit worried about Saturday. Have girls night out with a good mate who bought me a ticket to Michael Buble and a few of her girlfriends too. Have mentioned to her that I am on a "detox" - I am not sure how many friends truly know who I am yet and still want to keep this close while I get stronger, does that sound weird?

Anyway, I will drive to her place and we will all go in together and stop for a bite to eat before and I will not be drinking AT ALL and am just getting my head around a strategy.

Funny how thinking about Saturday I've completely presumed I will have an AL free Friday! Anyway suggestions are welcome....:h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

Sunny but below freezing here in my end of the nest, brrrrr!!!!!

Patrice, welcome back! Arm yourself with everything you need in the Tool Box to help you reach your goals

Mauri, day 4 - good for you!!!

myhappyplace, congrats on your 3 AF days! I understand your concern about socializing during these early days. I pretty much didn't leave home for the first 3 months. Then I just told people 'No thanks, I'm not drinking today'. I've come to realize that you really do not owe anyone an explanation. If you feel uncomfortable you can always leave early......I've done that!

Wishing everyone a fantastic AF Thursday!
                              Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi All,
                                Today is day the start of day five on Antabuse! So far so good, just kind of tired. Is this norma during the first week of AF?
                                myhappyplace- have fun at the concert!

Comment

Working...
                                X