Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Thanks for some suggestions on what to drink - I "might" try grapefruit juice and selzer - as I'm not a sweet drink person - but I don't like grapefruit either - but it sounds refreshing so what the heck, I'll try it LOL.

I've been drinking loads of Polar unflavored selzer with lemon - no sodium, no calories, no high fructose corn syrup, Also chamomile tea, as I read that it's supposed to help with those broken capillaries...

but I'm having the OPPOSITE reaction as all of you! Even though I try to not drink too close to bedtime, I end up getting up BEFORE midnight to use the bathroom, and occasionally again - (the second time is getting to be less frequent). Maybe I'm carrying that water/lemon - keeping hydrated thing- to an extreme - :H

I poured some vodka in a glass yesterday... nobody was around and there is an open bottle in the freezer. I just couldn't help myself. As I was getting ready to water it down, I smelled it and said "I don't even 'want' this..." and I dumped it down the drain. sooooo big temptation #1 - I passed....we'll see how I do with the next one. One day at a time.
    ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Monday morning Nesters!

It's a super windy day here but hopefully it will dry up all the mud produced by yesterday's rain!

lolab, congrats on your decision to dump the vodka!
      Why do you have vodka in the freezer may I ask? Is it for a spouse or someone?
      I'm all for a refrig in the garage or some place where that stuff can be kept out of sight & out of mind

Everyone sounds great & I wish a good day to all!
      Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yes, it's my husband's. And he doesn't even know I drank vodka. I hid it. If the temptation ever gets to be too much, I will have the conversation with him and try to explain, but if I can handle it on my own, I will.
        ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning everyone! It is snowing a bit here, but you can still tell Spring is coming.

Does anyone have an opinion or memory of about how many days/weeks it takes to change from really really wanting a glass of wine at 5:00 to changing your behavior and not really craving it or feeling entitled to it? I know this is kind of silly since we are all different, but people's memories of their first few weeks or days might give me the courage I need in the coming weeks.

Thank you everyone for your time and courage!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lolab - The smell of wine is definitely not an enticing thing for me either now. That's a good thing Good for you on pouring it out - sounds like you dodged a bullet and hope you are giving yourself a pat on the back because you deserve it girl!

Mema - I'm at a little over 60 days and believe me - it was hard in the beginning. Now I go home and pour my cranberry juice/club soda into a goblet and get right into making dinner. The thought of that glass of wine is getting dimmer and dimmer - so for me anyway, the cravings are less and less and I hope you will experience the same as you continue to rack up AF days! Good luck to you!
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Mema...

I know exactly what you are asking. I asked it too!! When will these voices and this sense of entitlement at least go away some?!!! For me, it was day 13. Something just changed in my head....I was breaking the 5:00 habit and that was the day I told the nest I had turned the corner. I hope that helps you....Byrdie
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Mema,
                They say it takes 28 days to break a bad habit & learn to for a new one.
                I'm sure it won't be too long before your thinking cahnges. The Hypo CDs helped me out a lot in the beginning. I continued using them for nearly a year just to be sure
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello all, another AF day under my belt, very pleased!
                  Mema I was the 5o clock (well sometimes 6 o clock ) wine drinker, practically as soon as I got in the door, with the entitlement thing going on, hard day blah blah, actually even if it wasnt a hard day it was a hard day if you know what I mean! so can relate to your craving very well. I try to distract myself and deliberately start doing something out of the ordinary, something to keep me busy for that witching hour, do something I have been putting off for weeks, just some small thing, its gets me over the craving as my attention if mostly on the task. I also find not waiting til you're very hungry to eat is a good idea, try to have dinner or a snack very soon after you get home so you don't have that idea of pouring a glass of wine while making dinner .. (this was already my favourite one ..) I am only starting out (day 9 AF) but those are the things that helped me.

Lolab - You did so well, you must feel very proud of your achievement.

Lovely spring day here in Ireland, sunny blue skies, and dare I say it, a spring in the step too!
                  AF since 27th February 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

thanks guys! I'm pretty pleased (but cautious, too...) Good suggestions, wineisnotdivine.

Mema, in my opinion, we're doing this at the perfect time of year. Spring is around the corner (or at least its SUPPOSED to be!) and that means BIG changs around here. So it should fit right in with what I am doing to change my "routine" of drinking constantly....I go to bed with a clean kitchen - hardly EVER used to do that...I work out every day - I am eating really healthy - taking care of my skin, put up new blinds and curtains in my kitchen this weekend, too - so many changes seems like a new era...one without alcohol...:-)
                    ~

Comment

Newbies Nest

What a difference a sunny day makes to the world and your state of mind...

I bought all types of seeds today, planning on immersing myself in some gardening during an afternoon now to keep me occupied during that afternnon spot where I used to have a couple of glasses of wine before picking the kids up from school.

Day 13 and apart from being tired all the time still, (I guess my body is still catching up on all the bad sleep I've had over the years) I have so much motivation for clearing out junk at the moment, tackled the consevatory this afternoon....

I know something though apart from waking up sober it's wonderful not to have to try and remember what i did the night before, not to have that feeling of dread when I switch on the laptop and find I'd gone on sites I had no recoleection of visiting and then having to backtrack and see what I had posted or who I had spoken too... and not to have to remember where I had hid empties and worry about my hubs finding any I'd forgotten about...

Hope everyone is having/ had a wonderful positive day:l
                      WHAT CAN I SAY? I DON'T WANT TO PLAY ANYMORE..

Just taking it day by day.......

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi nesters,

Having internet problems so not getting on as much. Staying strong though. LolaB, that was awesome that you poured out the vodka, you should be very proud of yourself! I can be strong and fight the urges, but I haven'e been tested to the point where I actually have a glass in my hand and make the choice not to drink it. :goodjob:

In for a busy week again, work was quite stressful today, but getting over it with a cup of tea and pampering my feet

leave, it makes me so happy to know that I will be spending as much time as i can in the garden soon, I love my garden!

Jolie, WIND, mema, byrdlady, prancy, Hill, Blonde and all me fellow nesters, keep posting, you are all FAB!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thank you everyone for responding! This will help, just knowing there are others out there with the same struggle always helps!

Congratulations on 9 days Ms. Wine and Lolab I think what you did took a great deal of clear headed courage and thinking, I'm impressed! Lavande I can tell you are a great resource for all early birds so thak you for being there.

have a wonderful evening, and thanks again!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening all!

Pretty good day all around for a Monday, huh?

I had a nice lunch out with an old work friend today & spent a little $$ shopping for my next grandchild due to arrive in a few weeks. So much happening so early in the year for my family. I am grateful to be fully present to witness & enjoy it all

Wishing evereyone a comfy evening in the Nest!
                            Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Another one, Lav?
                              Let's hope the stork doesn't kep you waiting this time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning nesters!

VG - you know I can relate about the internet problems - so aggrivating!
                                Lolab - I agree - amazing how much we can get accomplished when our every waking minute isn't consumed with AL! My kitchen is clean every night too and lunches are packed for the next day! Instead of stumbling into bed and passing out every night, I look forward to my night-time ritual of relaxing in bed with a good book (always makes me sleepy) and listening to relaxing music before settling in for a decent nights sleep. Funny - I used to tell everyone that sleep is so overrated - our bodies really need a good nights sleep to be able to function properly during the day.

Started exercising last night! Did about 20 minutes on the elyptical(?) Daylight savings time starts this week so if it ever gets warmer around here, I'm really looking forward to my walks after dinner!

Wine is not devine - love that name! I was just like you - thought I "deserved" that 1st glass of wine after a hard days work. Now if I would have been satisfied with just that 1 glass, I probably wouldn't be where I am now but one was never, never enough. Good for you on finding distractions! Finding new hobbies could be a help - something you've always wanted to do but were always too busy drinking to start them?

Lav - when does stork watch start? How cool is it to have two beautiful new babies to hold and spoil being born so close together?

Have a great day everyone!
                                Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Working...
                                X