Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Lookie here, this is a 2 way street...I get as much out of reading your posts as I hope you get from mine. And when you have 6 months under your belt, I expect you to help other new people who come here with no where else to go but rehab! Scared people who don't know how not to drink, like me. So in your posts, I see myself, and what I needed was to know this wasn't impossible, and when was I going to feel better, and when do the horrible cravings go away...I needed some hope and a lot of help. I was jealous of people who had racked up days upon days, because dammit, I couldn't do it. But I finally stopped listening to myself and started listening to others who went ahead of me...and it finally worked. 6 months out, I can tell you the voices are there, but not as often and not as strong. I usually hit a hard spot right after work, but the next thing you know, it's 8 o'clock and I've gotten thru it. If there is anything I can give you reassurance about, it's the voices are starting to lose their credibility....and they come around less and less. I would have never thought it, but am proof...I'd stand my drinking up to almost anyone's...I was on a path to destruction. Stay your ground...this is the fight of your life. You CAN do it. Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hypernova,
      Congrats to you on 25 AF days Enjoy the freedom, it's wonderful!
      I've been blowing off invitations from old work friends ~ they want to go to Las Vegas, I don't At this point I just have no desire to be around all those smoking, drinking, gambling individuals - besides I really hate gambling, I'm a total loser in that department

Hi Byrdie!
      I refuse to allow myself to face another day one - not sure I have it in me anymore. I'm keeping my quit(s) no matter what & hope everyone else does as well!

Wishing all the Nesters a safe night in the Nest!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evening Nestomaniacs! Day off of work and a day away from AL. Still have that dang fuzzy headache..like my brain is just a half size too big or something...And the Tylenol don't really seem to put it away real well...I will take solace in realizing it'll take some time to come clear, considering how much time I invested in becoming a daily heavy drinker...Coming up on Day Ten: The Sequel.
        Hopefully, I won't be giving in to the idiotic rationale from "The Voice". I have a few more tools this time around...
        Got my Sleep CD playing in a continuous loop right now!
        Be well dear ones...Check in tomorrow.
        -Cap'n G

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening everyone and thanks for your posts and for allowing me to share, it helps me to be part of this and I get relief reading everyone's posts...thanks. Day 18 today and aside from strong sugar cravings ( I rediscovered Sugar Babies candy....I didn't know they still made it!) life is good....dead tired from insomnia but still didn't drink and still ok.....would not be ok with beers and still not trying to fool myself into thinking I could handle moderation,,,,,that would be a big lie to myself as I know how it ends,,,badly.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Checking in after work. I'm sorry I'm too tired to do a shout out to everyone individually. It's after 1am! I'm grateful for all of you and I'm grateful for this site. I wouldn't be coming into day 17 without you all.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

I hope everyone got some decent sleep! I actually did myself for a change

gregorino, about the lingering fuzziness in the head - be sure you are drinking enough water (lots & lots of water). Tylenol doesn't cut it for me either.......try Motrin if yu can take it. I find it does a much better job! Enjoy those CDs

Clockwatcher, hope you can catch some sleep soon. I really do know all about the insomnia thing, have been dealing with it for many years. These days I use herbal preps & sometimes they do help. I'm going to be thinking about Sugar Babies all day, I loved those things as a kid :H

FlyAway, sure hope you got some rest too! You put in some very long days......

I have a ton of work waiting for me & being self-employed these days that makes me most grateful. I will definitely have no time to get into trouble today

Wishing everyone a good AF Thursday!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Broke My Pevious Record!!

Woke up sober on Day 10 - WooHooo!!! Last Day 10 (3 weeks ago) I woke with a nasty hangover and lots of remorse ans shame. But, it's new day today! Did the sleep CD last night for the first time....very nice! I'm a sailor, so I especially enjoyed the water sounds....like sleeping on a sailboat! There's subliminals in there not just about being AL free, but also about having a great night's sleep and awaking feeling refreshed. Wondering if my nestmates with insomnia are trying that....
                So, off to the gym to get buff and then to work...
                Check in tonite..Have a great day gang!
                -Cap'n G

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters! I'm getting ready for another long day and night at work, but wanted to stop in and wish you all a strong, fun, and sober Thursday!

Hypernova--Hooray for you! Twenty-five days is quite an accomplishment. And you were able to go out with friends, stay sober, and enjoy yourself. You've come a long way.

Gregorino--Day 10! Fabulous job. I'm glad that you have the CDs. We need every tool we can get our hands on. Do you own a sailboat? That's one of my husband's dreams.

Clock--Eighteen days down! You are on your way! I'm craving sugar more now too, but I figure I'll take that over alcohol. Once the AL cravings aren't so bad I'll worry more about my diet.

Lavande--I just might take your advice with what to tell people on Saturday. None of your damn business! :H They're pretty used to me telling it like it is, so it might not surprise them too much.

Byrd--What you said about not wanting to go through the pain and bargaining, etc., again reminds me of when I stopped smoking some 20-odd years ago. It was so incredibly hard and probably 2 months went by before I stopped craving them every minute of every day. When I finally was smoke-free the thought of having just one cigarette scared the crap out of me because I knew how easy it would be for me to go right back to where I was and Lord, I never wanted to go through that suffering again! The idea of moderating alcohol is still attractive to me though. For some reason I can't imagine never drinking again. But I really don't think I'll ever be able to drink "normally" and logically think that I just need to stop. Damn! Why does alcohol seem so alluring?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Fly...why does AL seem so alluring? Because we can't have it! So move along...there's nothing to see here.....ehehe. You gotta just stop dwelling on the dam stuff. It's romaticised to SELL it...unfortunately, we get stupid on it. (far from sexy, loud, staggering...slurring). Oy, I wish I had a big do-over! Byrdie
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Enough!;1154117 wrote: Hello all!
                      Just wandering around and thought I would see how you all were doing. Looks like lots are adding lots of days... Awesome job. I posted on conquering 1 earlier what a rough night I had beating that voice down and the strange vivid dream that followed that left me thinking I cheated last night because I still tasted the wine from by imaginary subconscious party. Weird stuff! Keep your thoughts wtb me ( as mine are with you ) for sober days to follow. I have a huge challanve coming on a upcoming 2 week cottage vacation beginning tomorrow. Where the beers are out at noon, sangria ready for lunch and cases of good wine flowing from then on. Not the "free wine sucks" stuff

Talk soon,
                      Enough!
                      :teeter::teeter:
                      Dearest Enough! Watching your progress over the past few weeks helped give me the courage to conquer another Day One.

I wish you strength in these weeks ahead. Vacations can be very challenging - especially when surrounded by a lot of alcohol. Vacations have been my personal downfall over the past few years of struggling to get free from Al. I'm getting ready to go to a big family wedding in Montana in a few weeks and I'm already working on getting a plan in place to make it through without drinking this time.

If you have wifi, pop in when you have the time so we can hear how you're doing.
                      Sober for the Revolution!
                      AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just checkin in on DAY 25 AF

Great to hear so many newbies doing well and also the wise words from the elders!

Didn't really think about beer today which is a first..

I have saved approximately ?700 so far too...

BUT considering the amount I drank up until 25 days ago (between 50 and 70 pints of beer a week) I am cautious and still filled with a lot of trepidation about this journey ..

Talk soon folks ...
                        AF July 4th 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all, just checking in. I haven't come up with a plan yet to cut back. I checked the tool box as lav suggested. Not quite sure where to start?

Comment

Newbies Nest

4me. Well, I guess the master plan (or it was for me) was to quit drinking. But this is way too much to grasp at first. It's sad to even consider...besides it doesn't even seem possible. Lav will offer you her trusty wing as I think her plan is more structured than mine, but here is my take. Get your story together on what you are going to tell people when they look at you in disbelief that you aren't drinking. I'm enjoying "it was a New year's resolution to cut down and when I did I felt better so I just stopped. ' I've also enjoyed, 'it was aggravating a couple other things I have going on' (my liver and my marriage). Now if you are committed to stop drinking or trying to moderate, your plan will be different. I had to quit. (tried mod...couldn't..all or nothing) So I can't speak to a successful plan to moderate. But if you are committed to stopping...take it one day at a time. Day 3 is a huge step, this is when AL doesn't show up in bloodwork. Day 6 is a bitch, but then day 7 is monumental...a week without booze and that includes a weekend!!! For me, on day 13 I had a change of thinking...I felt better and I got a sense that I could actually do this. Day 30, consider yourself well on your way. Then the days and weeks actually add up before you know it. Then there's the 100 day club. Now that's a big one. You get a hat and everything....eheheh. not really. But you do get kudos from the nest as that's a big thing. Plan to take yourself out of tempation's way. Plan what you are going to drink or order before going to the restaurant...this helps...visualizing it makes it more real. Set yourself up to succeed. Get your butt out of that wine aisle..stop longing because you are the only person on Earth not able to enjoy a cocktail...when you anticipate these things, they are easier to overcome. Someone suggested gummy worms as a way to ride a crave...I found solice in Charm's Blow Pop's ..that sugar rush kept my mouth happy and out of trouble. When you have a craving...eat something..it will pass and eating will help it. Somehow this has to do with your blood sugar. Know and make provisions for a mighty sweet craving. Do not worry about a pound or 2 right now..be good to yourself. Get the AL out of your home. We are all watching you and we will see if you sneak some!! eheheh. (glad nobody saw me sneaking it...) This is just a rough thought of what my plan was and continues to be. Visit this site as long as you want to keep your quit. Out of site out of mind..keep us close. We are here for each other..there is no question you can't ask and get an honest answer from someone. I hope that helps you in your plan for a plan. Hop in, we'll drive!! Byrdie
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Brydlady for all of the great advice. I guess I have to navigate through the waters and see what will work for me. I get so confused. Do I like to have a glass of wine, or do I need a glass of wine. Am I rewarding myself or punishing myself. I know that a glass of wine and a bottle of wine, which is where I am at this point, are two very different things. I also know this site will be invaluable on my journey. Lav is very inspirational as are you. I will work on a plan. I need to give myself a deadline. I am going to say one week for a plan. Hold me accountable! Thanks again!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just make a plan and stick with it for a morning or an afgternoon and it is a starting point.

All great journeys begin with a small single step.
                                AF 20 April 2011
                                NF 12 December 2009
                                Fresh Fruit for Sobriety

Comment

Working...
                                X