Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Thank you Byrdie. I do go about 6-10 days AF then I think, why not have a couple. But it just messes with me in a bad way. My husband moderates me when he's home. I'm thankful for that, but when he's not here, I seem to think I can control it on my own. Yeah, right. I do need to get it in my head that I just can't drink, period. I have the MWO book. I'm ready.
    Living life to the fullest.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdie, I can identify with everything you say in your post. Very good pointers for anyone who is doubting whether they are able to moderate or not. It is all to easy after clocking up those AF days, to start thinking that maybe you weren't so bad and can go back to controlled drinking. After coming here this time last year I am resolute about which way I want to go. I agree that maybe somewhere in my head, even though I kept saying that I wanted to stop, there was always that last piece of me that truly didn't.
      I went out to dinner tonight in a lovely restaurant with 2 friends. Afterwards, went to a pub where there was a great band playing all the old tunes. My friends were drinking wine and I drove. There was a part of me that had a little pang when they ordered wine at dinner, but quickly went away. It wasn't long before I could see the change in them. They were happy to get up dancing and I stayed sitting as I was a bit self-conscious. But as the night went on and I thought about it, I realised everybody there was intoxicated to some level and wouldn't care what I done. So up I got and danced with all the drinkers and had great fun. By the end of the night both friends were at the table, heads hanging from over-indulging and I was up dancing with just about anybody - really enjoyed it! This is unheard of for me; I am very shy and truly believe being alcohol-free is giving me a confidence I didn't even know was there.
      Drove both of them home and one of them was so drunk (she doesn't normally drink wine) she was sick all over my car. Got her into bed and sick again. I had to wake her older teenage son and let him know just in case - she got quite twisted and argumentative. This is actually one of the nicest girls you could meet. Anyway, home now, it's almost 4am - had to clean her up then home to do my car. Tell you what, some people say stay away from pubs and drinkers when abstaining. What I had to witness tonight did not in any shape or form make me feel envious; I am so glad I went because I genuinely had a great night but it actually has also helped me - I know what direction I'm heading and it's not down Alcohol Alley!
      So thankful that I read Jason Valed book; totally changed everything for me - I don't drink because I don't want to.....
      IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
      Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters, I'm back on day one.:upset: The good news is my husband is home from the hospital. He will be on homecare and antibiotics for six weeks. I need to get busy and bring in some serious $'s to keep things going. Yikes, more stress. I haven't worked on my new plan yet. I am just going ODAT for now. Thank you for the well wishes. I will need to take some time to read back and catch up on what is going on. Hope everyone is well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lavande;1193089 wrote: Did I mention I have some great Bullwinkle designs & I sell shirts on ebay with them stitched on :H :H
          I am a fan from way back! Do you make anything "manly"?

Are you permitted to post a link?
          -Cap'n G

Comment

Newbies Nest

Greetings Nestlings Everywhere!

I posted some of this last night, but don't see it, so I screwed something up....

Oh well, I will get as caught up with y'all as I can and will be away from the Nest (with Ms Byrdie on my shoulder) for a few days while I tend to Chapter Two.

Prairie is Back! WooHoo - Thought you lost the map to the Nest! Excellent decision getting the abstinence CD's - they are worth their weight in gold and a crucial leg on the stool of sobriety. The other legs being exercise and supplements. Make a new plan Prairie and write it out in detail - include any possible triggers and how you will handle them. Welcome back! Stick around! Read and post and read and post.

Byrdie - Seriously? Beaded jewelery? Like, I could just do my Christmas shopping in the Nest!

Daisy - WOW! What a night you had. I don't think at 10 days I could have gone into a bar with friends who were tying one on and stayed safe. Kudos to you for keeping your resolve - You have a good solid quit started up for sure!

Windy - Didn't even want one? That is very excellent! Keep up the fabu start!

Big Warm Welcome to Nestlings Equivoque and ad1jnl : Listen to Lav and to Ms. Byrdie. I would recommend reading their last 50 or 60 posts - Yes, it will take some time, but it's a project you could work on when the urge to have a drink starts to hit. You can definitely get yourself AL-free if you hang around the Nest, make a good plan, and if you truly want to change your life. Hope to see you both here often!

Cant Believe - I posted on your "tick" last night, but it didn't take, and now you've "ticked" on Day 2 as well! I know EXACTLY what that tick is, and I bet a lot of other Nesters do too! That is AL talking to you CB - He's telling you things like, "I'm your best friend" and "What will life be like without me in it?" Yes, the first few days and weeks of suddenly depriving AL of his daily fix are very challenging - mentally and physically. Time may indeed "seem" to be standing still without a pint in your hand and another on the way. You have to know that this is completely normal and, annoying as it is, something that has to be endured - so, this is where a plan is key...knowing what triggers are likely to present themselves, and exactly what you will do when the moment arrives, as it most assuredly will! You will have to outsmart AL in the very beginning, because he wants his fix and will convince you of anything to get it. Be vigilant - know the plan and stick to it! In a few months, you will be here posting how you are wondering how you ever got anything accomplished when you used to drink because your life is filled up with all sorts of wonderful things that were never happening (or going to happen) when AL was calling the shots.

Mtn Mama - Ms Byrdie knows of what she speaks. Many of us thought we could do the moderating thing and maybe we would cut back for a day or a week, but nothing really was any different - AL was still in control of our lives. You sound like you are ready to make a change and kick AL out of your life for good. It can be done - many of us who came here a few weeks or months ago are doing it now and we were every bit as whipped by AL as you are. So, if you have decided, all the info and support is here. Get your plan written out, and get your life back now!

Ellen - I am so happy you made it out of the Smokeys with your quit intact. You gave us a bit of a scare, and I hope that incident became a lesson for you. Divine Guidance, I'm thinking. :wings:

4Me - Happy to hear hubs is back. You gotta work on that plan...You need a good sturdy three-legged stool to stand on. Supplements, Exercise, Hypnotherapy!

Well, it's after 1 AM here, and I gotta catch a few winks. Stay safe Nestlings... I will be back online Monday PM. Peace!
            -Cap'n G

Comment

Newbies Nest

OMG - LoLab - I almost forgot to say hi! You sound like you are sailing along quite smoothly - Keep that good quit going!
              -Cap'n G

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone,
                Well its 2:15pm here and I am still in my PJ's.....lol mind you it is so hot here today it does not seam worth putting fresh clothes on....lol but dont worry I am jumping in the shower soon so hopefully I wont make this thread smell bad...lol
                Once again after a lovely lye in I have been busy sorting paperwork out it is lovely to get all those niggly jobs done which you just dont want to do when your hung over.......
                Booze I love camping infact I have just come back from camping with my 3 lovely boys......I really did'nt want to come home...lol
                Well hope you all enjoy your Sunday and will try and check back in later.....now where did I put the soap????
                xxxx
                :dancin: enguin:
                starting over

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nestors. Its 5.30 pm on the east coast and I have just had a very nice day with my 3 kids. We took a steam train ride along a historic track which was very nice. Bit of wine about, but I stuck to water and a coffee. Had an af weekend.Ronnie, yeah, I love camping. done lots of it over the years. This will be my 3rd trip to Africa. Camping is the way to go. Damn hard yakka but it brings you into close contact with the wildlife. Would u believe one night after sunset we had a very large bull elephant wander into our camp!!! The local Masi people had to chase it with torches ( apparently they dont like the lights...thank god!!)Hope everyone is killing the beast this weekend. Need to catch up on all your posts. Will post again later tonight.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Byrdie & Daisy,
                    Just wanted to thank you for your posts about not moderating. I've read a lot around the site about moderating and it scares me (only personally) as I know I wouldn't be able to do that. You strengthen my resolve to stay AF - at the very least 30 days to see how I feel AF. Got a big feeling I'd want to take those 30 days further.
                    Daisy, again I can resonate with you. Shyness is why I started drinking in the first place. Sounds like you had a great night. I'd been thinking about how things would be on the social front (when I resume it that is) so your post really helped. Shame about the puke in the car though!!

Hi Greg, thanks for the message but can I clear something up. I'm a lady don't you know!! :bust: Just saying cos you've called me "mate" before and think I drink pints! Very much a female and not even a butch one! :H

Will keep ticking as it's my happy self doing that - day under the belt and all that. Last night was a wobbly one and I'm SO glad this morning I didn't cave. Waking thought - feel great without a hangover. How s*** would I have felt if AL got the better of me. Byrdie - writing that one down so I remember.

Sorry for the ramble! Day 3 begins. Have a happy one everyone. Hi to all other nestees
                    You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Where do I post my own thread? I am unfamiliar with this forum.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Equivoque,

Go to "Just Starting Out" and at the bottom of the page, left hand side, click "new thread"
                        You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Newbies Nest

CantBelieveI'mStillAtIt;1193901 wrote: Hi Equivoque,

Go to "Just Starting Out" and at the bottom of the page, left hand side, click "new thread"
                          It's not working, what am I doing wrong?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evening all,
                            Boozer your very brave with your camping although it sounds very exciting, when I took my boys I made sure that I had an ensuit on my pitch....lol
                            Well I managed to do all of my paperwork now for all my housework but that is a job for tomorrow, I am now going to claim the sofa for the night.
                            Hope you all enjoy the rest of your day/night
                            ronnie
                            xxx
                            :dancin: enguin:
                            starting over

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Sunday morning to one & all! Great to see some many Nesters here making progress!

MtMomma, hang in with us!

4me, now is the time to get yourself in control friend. You know drinking AL is not going to help you thru the next 6 weeks with your husband's situation. I'm wishing the best for both of you!

Hello lolab, Byrdie, CantBelieve, Ellen, boozer & stinky Ronnie :H
                              Daisy, congrats to you for sticking to your guns & sorry about your car

Greg, of course I have manly Bullwinkle designs!!!

I am aching from head to toe this morning ~ apparently my chicken house cleaning yesterday was a bit too much on the aging body. Well, at least it's fresh in there now

Wishing everyone a great AF Sunday!
                              Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

I don't want to ignore others' posts but I have limited time this morning...

I just wanted to say what a beautiful morning I'm having - on day 21...I feel like I've come further in this 21 days than I did in my 30 some days the first time. I am cleaning out drawers since 6:30 AM - LOL - and finding treasures, and enjoying the quiet, drinking my coffee, have candles lit, and have written a couple of handwritten notes to family members that should know how much I care.

A few weeks ago - believe it or not - I would have already started drinking vodka by this time on a Sunday morning - knowing in the back of my mind that the day would be shot. I'd stay awake but get nothing "real" accomplished...not want to go anywhere...have no patience with my family...and be looking for every opportunity to sneak some more - walking around in a fog.

It's quite amazing the difference I feel today....thanks so much to all of you. Not only the "rocks" behind all of us - but also to those of you who are honest about your difficulties - giving me an opportunity to reach out and try to help and also reminding me of a painful place that I never want to go back to.

I know it's been said so many times by so many people - and I know I have far to go still - but I'll say it too. If I have pulled myself out from under that rock - gotten my head out of that sand - you can do it too. And it really really won't be that long before you can start feeling confident and at peace too...
                                ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X