Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

My day is turning out to be quite challenging.......this is very new...trying to deal with high stress, anxiety and upsetting situations without drinking to try to take the edge off.
    ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lolab....I am finding that I am so much better able to handle stress AF. I'm sure you are finding it too. Drinking is more or less giving up and giving in to stress instead of dealing with it. Nothing is made better for us by Al.
      As for being an AL, I have a new appreciation for those of us who are able to win this day to day battle. Alcoholics are some of the strongest, most self reflective people I've ever met. Compassionate....I guess everyone has a battle he/she is fighting...this is ours.
      Heard a neat song on the radio this morning...as I was FINISHING my Christmas shopping....it said, "the sweetest songs are sung by the smallest birds" Maybe that's us here in this nest. A small but powerful voice.
      MindPeace to all! XXOO, Byrdie
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

lola, what's going on?
        What can we do to help????
        Whatever is going on - drinking will not help, I think you know that :l

Byrdie, putting together my shopping list & will send it to you
        I am pretty much forced to do all my shopping online - no stores here in cow country....
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hang in there lolab! I am having a rough evening myself...the beast is telling me that just a little AL would make me feel better.
          I won't give in...you won't either!
          BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning all,
            Great post Brydlady and so true.
            lolab and BelleGirl.....just keep being strong, you can both do this. Just think how you will feel in the morning knowing that you won the battle for today, it is such a good feeling when you know you are winning.
            It takes very little energy to fall down but a masive step to get up again, you guy's are already standing tall, just take it 10 minutes at a time.
            ronnie
            xxxxxx
            :dancin: enguin:
            starting over

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks ronnie..your words may just get me thru this.:thanks:
              BelleGirl

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lolab -- Whatever it is, it will not make you feel any better if you drink because of it. You know the opposite is true and you will feel sooo much worse. Don't give in to it and ride out the storm. Put on some music and just dance until you are exhausted. You're strong and you can do this. Keep reminding yourself how important it is to you and how much you have accomplished and how good you feel now about yourself.

BelleGirl -- It's not a little the beast wants from you....He wants all or nothing. Don't give in either.

I have faith in you guys. You are stronger than the "BEAST".

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi ronnie & windy!

Lola & Belle - DISTRACTION is key!!
                  Do anything you have to do to distract yourselves & like Byrdie says.....tell the beast to feck off

I think we need to get out of the habit of using weekends as an excuse to drink......I did it too back then but not anymore
                  You guys can ride it out. Just imagine how proud you will be Monday morning, waking up & still AF!
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters!

Had a great day today, very busy at work and then I came home, took doggie for a walk, went to do some shopping and then just had dinner with my husband. We're about to sit down and watch a movie but I wanted to hop on here first to say hello.

I hope everyone remained strong today. Lolab and Belle and everyone else. I agree with Windy, I am feeling great these days and it's only day 4. I know it will only get better and better. I remember when I hit 30 days and then 60 days and how elated I was. Then I crashed but I won't let that happen this time. Part of the reason I crashed is that hubby and I went on a vacation last March to Jamaica and stayed at an all inclusive resort. I should have known better but Jamaica in March when you live in New England sounds really great and I let my guard down. We are probably not going this year and I will push for a vacation where there isn't booze free flowing all the time.

Funny, today is Saturday and usually, when I take my lunch break at work, I go down to the liquor store in town and grab my nightly stash of wine. Today I felt free that I didn't have to trudge down there and be afraid of who in town would see me getting booze in the middle of the day. I always wanted to get it done on my lunch hour so I could come directly home and start drinking. I felt great that I wasn't a prisoner to that today!

Looking forward to a nice Sunday morning sober. I have to work by 10AM but I am usually up extra early so I'll have time to enjoy a nice cup of coffee and breakfast, not hungover!

Have a great evening everyone and stay strong through the weekend! Lav is right, think of how great it will be when we get through the weekend without AL!
                    Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
                    :h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Blondi....I am so happy to see your spirits up! See, I told ya just a couple good AF days under your belt and you'd be right as rain. So proud of you. It's such a wonderful sense of freedom not to be tied to that dam habit.."Free at last, free at last..thank God Almighty! Free at Last!" I bet MLK never thought his words would be used in this context!
                      Stay strong everyone, you won't be sorry!!! Byrdie
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Whew...that was a close one, but I made it. Took the dog out for a lonnnnnnng walk and by the time I came home, pizza was here. Opening a cabernet to have with the pizza did cross my mind, but quickly tried to X that one out. Since I made it to dinner w/o AL, I am home free...Day 14 here I come.

Lolab how are you doing? Like Lav says: DISTRACTION!!! I'm here pullin' for ya!

Now it is family movie night. There were so many movie nights where I passed out and did not remember anything about the movie the next day. Tonight it is Cars 2. I may fall asleep anyway, but it is because I am so darn tired...however that is much better than the alternative! Sleep, the AF kind is good.

g'nite, g'day everyone.
                        BelleGirl

Comment

Newbies Nest

Glad to hear that Belle
                          Lola, hope you are hanging in with us as well!

Blondie, you sound good!

OK, gonna wish everyone a safe night in the nest. Don't forget the nest belts & butt velcro

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

I am a newbie here, hello all.
                            I have been drinking wine most nights for years and years and years but functioning ok during the day, also having big social nights fridays and saturdays involving lots and lots of weekend hangovers. When I write it down it is hard to imagine I have still managed to achieve things like bringing up kids, working and studying.
                            I never admitted I was anyone other than someone who enjoyed her wine and socializing over good food, occasional dancing and plenty of alcohol. But recently I admitted to myself at least that I do have a problem and the wine is controlling me rather than the other way round. Many nights at home drinking alone I have been opening the second bottle. So - enough, I want to change. Last week I tried very hard to cut back and managed only five bottles over the one week. On friday I only bought one bottle so could not open a second. Yesterday I was very strong and only had one bottle of beer all evening. Today, sunday, it is my goal to go totally AF. The thought of not drinking terrifies me, so I have decided to take it one day at a time and all I am focussed on right now is getting through today. Wish me luck.

Comment

Newbies Nest

I'm here and I'm ok and I survived af. Thank you all soooo much

Every word helped
                              Will post more tomorrow
                              ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi lilla you are strong! You keep focusing on today.. I can see your strength by what you're doing!
                                ~

Comment

Working...
                                X